S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Getting my S600 to behave

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by whoover
I had that on a '19 E63S. Turned out a rock took out a Parktronic sensor. Tiny chip on the sensor. Nothing to do with Distronic. But to get it fixed, you need to get the faulty sensor replaced.
Well, considering the sensors are very well protected buried deep inside the bumper shell...

These aren't the little round sensors that are mounted through the bumpers like you see on most cars. They're rectangular block radar sensors, and from what I understand this is a known issue with early radars. There's always a newer Ford, Subaru or occasionally a Nissan close by that triggers it.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM

2007 S600
An update...

I have just disabled the radar sensors for driving in town. I don't care about parking sensors, and I don't use the cruise control in town. When I'm on the highway and want to use cruise, I'll turn them on -- takes a few seconds. I did a couple hundred miles of highway driving this week; the cruise worked well 99% of the time -- aside from 3 or 4 instances of the car sharply braking for absolutely no reason. Straight, flat, dry road, one vehicle within range of the radars. I have to think it's the same deal as the annoying alarms at stop lights... just certain other vehicles' radar sensors interfering. Sure wish there were a software fix for this.

The transmission issue has finally logged a DTC. It's a bad conductor plate -- it's *****ing about a speed sensor in the transmission. I contacted two independent shops about replacing it. The low quote was just under $900; the other was over $1100. They were going to charge me over $500 for just the conductor plate, which I can buy from a Mercedes dealer for under $220. Parts are on the way from FCPEuro, and I found a local place where I can rent a bay with a lift and do the work myself. I'll do the conductor plate, filter, and a full fluid flush & replace next Saturday.

Everything else has been perfect.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by DaleB
It's been several days since I topped off the transmission fluid, and there has been no further issue with shifting -- at all. That's great news; if this keeps up, I may be able to actually keep the car around. We'll see how it does over the next week or so. I'm driving it pretty much every day, any time I need to go somewhere.

Question for @MBENZTECH or @konigstiger or @pmercury, since you guys seem to have the expertise and answers... the one thing that just drives me nuts and makes it downright embarrassing to drive this car with passengers in it. The stupid alarm that occurs on average about 1 in 3 times I come to a stop at a traffic light. The "OMG PARK ASSIST DISABLED WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!" alarm. Is there any way, through programming, whatever, to disable that? Even if it's just shutting off the prolonged beeeeeeeeeeeeep that goes along with the totally unnecessary warning. Turning off Park Assist does nothing for this. It's the last glaring problem with this car that I really want to fix -- and by fix I mean just make it go away. I don't want to turn off radar and lose cruise control, or tell the car it doesn't have park assist at all and lose the parking sensors. I just want to disable that bloody warning whenever another car interferes with the park sensors at 5 MPH or below.

I'd just like to know if it can be done, or not... and if it can, what it would take.
I am not aware of a way it can be done. One can enable brake HOLD, change whether or not the car “gongs” if put in Park and shows the “P”, and several other things (indicate if rear passengers have their seat belts on, etc.).
Old 09-21-2019, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
An update...

I have just disabled the radar sensors for driving in town. I don't care about parking sensors, and I don't use the cruise control in town. When I'm on the highway and want to use cruise, I'll turn them on -- takes a few seconds. I did a couple hundred miles of highway driving this week; the cruise worked well 99% of the time -- aside from 3 or 4 instances of the car sharply braking for absolutely no reason. Straight, flat, dry road, one vehicle within range of the radars. I have to think it's the same deal as the annoying alarms at stop lights... just certain other vehicles' radar sensors interfering. Sure wish there were a software fix for this.

The transmission issue has finally logged a DTC. It's a bad conductor plate -- it's *****ing about a speed sensor in the transmission. I contacted two independent shops about replacing it. The low quote was just under $900; the other was over $1100. They were going to charge me over $500 for just the conductor plate, which I can buy from a Mercedes dealer for under $220. Parts are on the way from FCPEuro, and I found a local place where I can rent a bay with a lift and do the work myself. I'll do the conductor plate, filter, and a full fluid flush & replace next Saturday.

Everything else has been perfect.
There is a software update for the DTR unit for early models.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:54 PM

2007 S600
9 times out of 10, I push the Keyless-Go start button and the car starts immediately. Once in a while I push the button, the cluster lights up, and it just sits there silent for as much as 2-3 seconds. No starter motor or anything. Then it will start and everything is fine. I may pull the KG button and use the key for a while and see if this is a KG issue, or something else.
Confirmed. For two weeks i've been using the key to start the car, and it has started instantly every single time. Apparently there is an occasional delay when using the keyless-go button. Pffft. Oh well, it only cost me $180 or so to learn that. Relatively cheap, in the overall scheme of things.

I'll have the car up on the lift Saturday morning for the conductor plate -- will give the entire undercarriage and driveline a thorough looking at while I'm under there. I've not had any indication of any trouble with suspension, flex disks, etc -- but we're planning to launch in a couple of weeks on a week-long road trip throughout the Southwest, probably close to 3K miles by the time we're done. That should be a pretty good shakedown cruise. I may end up just pulling the sale listing; the more we get this sorted out the less inclined I am to part ways with it. We'll see how we feel after the trip.
The following users liked this post:
dlafever (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
-- but we're planning to launch in a couple of weeks on a week-long road trip throughout the Southwest, probably close to 3K miles by the time we're done.
If you're near Phoenix and need a hand or just want to say hi, you know how to find me! Hoping your maintenance is smooth and trip is amazing!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:44 PM

2007 S600
Originally Posted by dlafever
If you're near Phoenix and need a hand or just want to say hi, you know how to find me! Hoping your maintenance is smooth and trip is amazing!
Ha! We may be. Albuquerque, Roswell, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Four Corners are all on the list. We have friends in Scottsdale, so that may be a stop as well. I wanted to take the plane, but my wife doens't like the seats for more than a couple hours a day. So, we'll fly a little lower.

The following users liked this post:
dlafever (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I may end up just pulling the sale listing; the more we get this sorted out the less inclined I am to part ways with it. We'll see how we feel after the trip.
This is something you need to strongly consider. You have a rare color, and it sounds like you have sorted out about any complaints you had. And you use it for what it is intended for - road trips. It is the perfect car for that.

I have had mine since around 2013 and it has just been mothballed until this year, when I started driving it again. It's easy to forget why we purchased these initially, and how much fun they are to take a road trip in.

I have the standard black/tan color, but wish I had a designo or a color that was "different" like yours, but any nice S600 is difficult to run across. The easy part is shopping around for one with the options you want!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:33 PM

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
This is something you need to strongly consider. You have a rare color, and it sounds like you have sorted out about any complaints you had. And you use it for what it is intended for - road trips. It is the perfect car for that.

I have had mine since around 2013 and it has just been mothballed until this year, when I started driving it again. It's easy to forget why we purchased these initially, and how much fun they are to take a road trip in.

I have the standard black/tan color, but wish I had a designo or a color that was "different" like yours, but any nice S600 is difficult to run across. The easy part is shopping around for one with the options you want!
To be honest, I"m not in love with the color -- but I don't dislike it either. I didn't want a black one, so that's nice anyway. I saw several absolutely stunning Designo S63s and S65s when I was looking for one to buy, even with the P30 and B&O stereo systems. Unfortunately, they were all really too far away for me to consider buying, and also usually sold by the time I called about them.

I'm really looking forward to letting the old girl really stretch her legs on highways where we can do so. We'll see how things go on the trip. I know what it will cost me to keep the car as an addition to the too many we have already, it's just a question of whether it's worth it to me. This week I'll need to check the intercooler circuit again, and poke around with DAS to see if there's anything else looking ominous before the trip. When we return, either the car gets sold or I put about $1K worth of new tires on it. These summer tires are in relatively good shape, but will be utterly useless in a Nebraska winter. The tire guys are going to love me to death -- my wife's Volvo XC60 also needs new shoes, and the truck could use some as well.

Sigh... I guess I can push back my retirement another year...
Old 11-05-2019, 04:49 PM

2007 S600
Well, the old girl is finally indoors. I've been parking it in the driveway since I brought it home back in May, I think it was... no room in the garage. Three bays, wife's car in one, project Mustang in one, and the middle one was chock full of workbench, bikes, table saw, other tools, leftover tile, all kinds of stuff. Saturday I took the workbench over to my son's place. Sunday I bought and assembled a large floor standing cabinet for some stuff, then spent most of Sunday afternoon getting the middle bay cleaned up. Finally that night I was able to pull the car in for the first time.

This means I can just hold off on tires for another year. I'll put new tires on the pickup and drive that this winter, leaving the S600 in the garage when it's icy or snowy out. I'll keep the summer tires on, I'm sure I can get at least one more summer out of them. When they're worn down I'll put all season tires on, then sell teh pickup to my son -- so I'll still be able to use it occasionally when needed, as he's used it for the past 8 years. I think this could work out nicely.

Everything's been working well, other than very rough, jerking shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 when the transmission is cold. Once it warms up, it's smooth as silk. Guessing I'm going to need to drop a rebuilt valve body in that transmission -- I sure wish I'd known that when I had it apart for the conductor plate.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
on the v12 when the box comes out you must do the conductor plate, replace torque converter and rebuild all the clutch packs - its essential
and expect ABC each corner and a set of 12 coil packs any minute

these are very expensive to keep on the road
Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BOTUS
on the v12 when the box comes out you must do the conductor plate, replace torque converter and rebuild all the clutch packs - its essential
and expect ABC each corner and a set of 12 coil packs any minute

these are very expensive to keep on the road
2 Coil Packs - 24 Coils

I must say I have never heard of the torque converter replacement requirement or clutch packs. It is a standard high torque rating 722.6 5-speed.