S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2013 S550 4MATIC Airmatic Stuck in "Sport" After Right Front Strut Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
13 S550 4MATIC, 14 S63
Exclamation 2013 S550 4MATIC Airmatic Stuck in "Sport" After Right Front Strut Replacement

Left Rear

Front Right

Front Rigth

Car Sitting Lopsided Pre-Strut Replacement

Car Sitting Lopsided Pre-Strut Replacement

Blown Strut

Blown Strut

Washer Fluid Leak

Washer Fluid Leak

Trying To Identify The Leak

Error Code
Okay I'm going to try and lay out as many details here as I can recall. I've been struggling with this for a while. I'll attach some photos as well.

7 July 2019

My girlfriend and I get lunch. On our way home we get the "Car is too low" light and we limp it home. Once we're home we get out and lock the car. We notice the car starts to hiss and seemingly balance itself. I get in the car and turn it on to see if we could hear the compressor, it procedes to air up.. and up... and up until *boom*. The car collapses the front right side on its wheel.

15 July 2019

The independent mechanic I chose to bring the car to finally has an opening so we drop the car off. He let us know that the strut needed replaced and that he ordered one and that the delivery was going to take 3-5 days. He installs it and we get the car back.

22 July 2019

We get the car back and it rides RIDICULOUSLY rough and the Airmatic Sport button is illuminated red on the dash. We drive it for about 10 miles before bringing it back and showing the issue to the mechanic. He orders another strut suggesting the one installed may be defective.

26 July 2019

We pick up the car again with the new strut and he informs us the problem persists and that we may need to drive it.

15 July 2019

We've driven it plenty. I've researched this plenty. I brought it to another mechanic who scanned it with a Snap-On scanner. I'll post a picture I took of the error code, but it really just said "5163 | Check Component Y52y2 (Right Front Solenoid Valve 2) In Assembly Y52 (Right Front Axle Damping Valve Unit)" among a bunch of other low voltage error codes I should probably address.

I find it important to mention that since the second strut replacement I've noticed some ABS like noises when coming to a complete stop. I've also noticed some "squeaking" noises when the car takes on bumps, unavoidable potholes, etc. After picking the car up the from the second replacement it was parked on a slight incline in my work's parking garage and when I finished work it had leaked all of the windshield washer fluid. The drip was coming from the passenger side of the car. This is also a new symptom...

I'm not sure if this is as important but one month prior to the suspension exploding, the car's battery died overnight. I jumped it and went to work, where it again died. I brought to Mercedes where they charged the battery to full and let it sit for three nights. The battery didn't die again and they couldn't find a parasitic drain. The car sat overnight at the mechanic's shop that I brought it to for the strut replacement and it died there. It hasn't died since.

I don't know. I have a headache. Just curious if anyone out there has had a similar error code and if replacing that solenoid fixed the suspension stiffness. The car seems like it's still sitting pretty high.

Thanks for any help,

Dakota

Last edited by Dakintosh; 08-16-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 w221
My car was uneven after the same strut gave out and was replaced at mb dealership. I had to leave it there when i noticed it during pickup. They realized they had to do a recalibration of all 4 corners after strut replacement. After that as good as new.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
13 S550 4MATIC, 14 S63
Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera
My car was uneven after the same strut gave out and was replaced at mb dealership. I had to leave it there when i noticed it during pickup. They realized they had to do a recalibration of all 4 corners after strut replacement. After that as good as new.

I read that on a thread started by someone with a similar problem.. The tech that gave me the read-out from the Snap-On Scanner tried to re-calibrate the suspension and the front right wouldn't respond to the computer, while the rest all responded fine. It wasn't a Mercedes dealer, honestly I'm thinking about just taking it to one and leaving them with a blank check....