S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Are the good ones out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
searching for s550
Originally Posted by DaleB
Dude... screw Chicago. Come down to Omaha (after they get the streets cleared; I have summer tires on the Beast). We'll go see if I can launch you into the (heated, ventilated, reclining, massaging) back seat and you'll write a check with a smile.
I would love to but you are about 5 grand over what I am looking for Dale! Great car though, I’ve viewed those photos multiple times
Old 01-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 Mercedes S600
Autotempest.com
Old 01-22-2020, 05:04 PM

searching for s550
Going to look at an s600 this weekend in Chicago (wife is dragging me there for shopping). Its priced at 15k originally a Florida car and has a decent service history on the carfax. Motor and Trans mounts replaced, radiator replaced, some bleeding here and there and a few suspension repairs along with seats etc... Seems like it was decently maintained through most off its life. http://www.luxurycaroutlet.com/Car-D...Z&S-Class&2007
Old 01-22-2020, 05:33 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
For 15K, I'd get something more recent, at least 2008 so that you at least can get Blind Spot Assist.

Last edited by EasyPhil; 01-22-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:12 PM

searching for s550
I have been searching for more than a month now and this car is one of the better equipped for 15k. Granted, it may be a junker when I drive it but... There arent many 600's for sale any where near me. I cant justify time off work to fly to the coastlines to look at a car. Anymore than 300 miles away and I will never see it. (Only have 3 weeks vacation per year!) Looks like it is missing the rear screens which is no big deal for me. People only look at phones now anyway
Old 01-23-2020, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
Originally Posted by mattc
I have been searching for more than a month now and this car is one of the better equipped for 15k. Granted, it may be a junker when I drive it but... There arent many 600's for sale any where near me. I cant justify time off work to fly to the coastlines to look at a car. Anymore than 300 miles away and I will never see it. (Only have 3 weeks vacation per year!) Looks like it is missing the rear screens which is no big deal for me. People only look at phones now anyway
Every car I have purchased I fly at least 1000 miles and drive it right back. You just have to get every single bit of info from the seller, videos, pictures, service records, etc. I'm very detailed and ask for specific pics/videos of things. For the last 10+ times, I've always purchased the car I went to see. I do search for a while online and never go see one until I know it's the one I am buying. I think in many cases you have to fly to find the gems...but if you aren't super picky, locally may be the option for you.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Camaro to a S class? "The ones that I can afford without taking a loan are all betweeen 90-110 thousand miles" ...This is the wrong car for you....They are plenty good ones, but why are you expecting 100k mile s class to be great? I don't understand. If you more better, increase your budget.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:08 PM

2007 S550 4Matic
I would say you haven't looked hard enough.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
Going to look at an s600 this weekend in Chicago (wife is dragging me there for shopping). Its priced at 15k originally a Florida car and has a decent service history on the carfax. Motor and Trans mounts replaced, radiator replaced, some bleeding here and there and a few suspension repairs along with seats etc... Seems like it was decently maintained through most off its life. http://www.luxurycaroutlet.com/Car-D...Z&S-Class&2007

Make sure you check the paint and body lines well. I've bought enough of these from pics/videos that anything that looks suspect, I make sure I ask for better pics/videos of the areas. Even though it may be a clean carfax doesn't mean it was never in a fender bender and was fixed by a shop that didn't report it and was not through insurance. It could be the lighting on the rear bumper or shadows also.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 PM

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
mattc: Are you planning to drive the S-class in the winter? If so, double check the tires, are they M+S rated? When I bought my S-class, I looked at the Michelin AS3 tires and ASSUMED they were M+S as the Michelin AS3 tires on my SL are M+S. You know what happens when you assume! Yup, first snow storm on those summer tires and I'm off to Craigslist to buy (and did) a set of used MB OEM wheels and winter tires.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:05 PM

Received 167 Likes on 138 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD
Folks,
This is a 100 and some thousand dollars car for $ 15.000, it is not going to be perfect by any means, the problem is when something breaks ( and it will ) the cost could be astronomical, so the question for mattc is : are you prepared ($$$$) for these ?
Old 01-23-2020, 07:01 PM

searching for s550
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
Camaro to a S class? "The ones that I can afford without taking a loan are all betweeen 90-110 thousand miles" ...This is the wrong car for you....They are plenty good ones, but why are you expecting 100k mile s class to be great? I don't understand. If you more better, increase your budget.
I was getting bored with the Camaro and thought I would get a Challenger but then life happened. My mother's car threw a timing belt and did some damage to the engine so I gave her my Caddy which was the d.d. I still have another 89 & 86 Camaro, 87 Supra, 07 suburban, 16 suburban and a work van. Cars are kind of my hobby so I will be getting the xentry setup soon after choosing a car and doing all the maintenance myself. The S-Class will take the d.d. role. After bumping around in an extended Chevy cargo van for 50k miles per year, I want something comfortable to drive. Those new Cadillac XTS's ride like a log truck compared to the 10 year old DTS's so I thought I would test drive a s550 one day. Fell in love with the ride quality and overall build quality. That was over a month ago and I still havent found the right one. Test drives reveal quite a bit if you know what to listen and feel for. Personally, 15K is more than I want to spend on the thing but I do want that bi-turbo.

And thanks for the pointers about what to look for. I have been paying close attention to body lines all around and looking for things like smoked tail lights (no offense to anyone) or missing ornaments that indicate abusive driving or neglect. I wont be making the 4 hour drive specifically to see this car, the wife had been planning to go shopping in Chicago for a few weeks now so its just a small detour.

If it rides well and I cant find anything wrong mechanically that is a Major problem like knocking, trans problems electrical gremlins, then I will be driving this one home. Assuming its not duct taped together and scratched on every panel. It has all of the features I am looking for. Do wish they made a 4 matic in the 600's though.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 Mercedes S600
Autotempest.com searches multiple platforms at the same time. Ebay and CL just to name a couple. Legitstreetcars on YouTube shared that info in one of his videos.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 PM

searching for s550
Dude... screw Chicago. Come down to Omaha (after they get the streets cleared; I have summer tires on the Beast). We'll go see if I can launch you into the (heated, ventilated, reclining, massaging) back seat and you'll write a check with a smile.

I doubt I could talk you down far enough on the price! I have went through your threads to see what work was done... It looks like a great ride man. Someone will get a great car. I just can't go 20k without selling my kidneys.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 AM

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
2007 S600
Mine's under 20 now, by a little. Summer tires, though, so plan on another grand or so to put winter shoes. No need for new tires; there are ultra high performance all-season tires that ought to work well on a 5,000# car.

Do be careful about the budget. I was talking to a guy a few weeks back who was asking questions about my car. He said he could just afford the car, and couldn't afford to pay big repair bills if something broke. I told him up front -- then don't buy this car, or any other 10-plus year old S-class. There is zero guarantee that you won't have a major failure after purchase. You probably can't get an extended warranty on a 2007, and if you do it's going to cost as much as replacing something another $3K+ AND you will probably still have a hefty deductible every time you take it in. So you might get (really) lucky and get a car that never breaks. Ha. Or you might get one that needs work on the ABC, air conditioning, transmission, turbos, etc... you get the idea. And it may be a fine car when you buy it; as the stock brokerages will tell you, "Past performance is not a guarantee of future results". Someone who can just barely afford the purchase and can't pony up for repairs if something goes wrong would be a good candidate for, say, a CPO E-class. Still more car than most people drive. It may not be a forced induction V12, but the E-class is no slouch.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:32 AM

2007 S550 4Matic
Mine's under 20 now, by a little. Summer tires, though, so plan on another grand or so to put winter shoes. No need for new tires; there are ultra high performance all-season tires that ought to work well on a 5,000# car.

Do be careful about the budget. I was talking to a guy a few weeks back who was asking questions about my car. He said he could just afford the car, and couldn't afford to pay big repair bills if something broke. I told him up front -- then don't buy this car, or any other 10-plus year old S-class. There is zero guarantee that you won't have a major failure after purchase. You probably can't get an extended warranty on a 2007, and if you do it's going to cost as much as replacing something another $3K+ AND you will probably still have a hefty deductible every time you take it in. So you might get (really) lucky and get a car that never breaks. Ha. Or you might get one that needs work on the ABC, air conditioning, transmission, turbos, etc... you get the idea. And it may be a fine car when you buy it; as the stock brokerages will tell you, "Past performance is not a guarantee of future results". Someone who can just barely afford the purchase and can't pony up for repairs if something goes wrong would be a good candidate for, say, a CPO E-class. Still more car than most people drive. It may not be a forced induction V12, but the E-class is no slouch.
If you don't have the capability to diagnose and fix your own car you should purchase or lease a new one unless you have money to cover repairs and a spare car when the car is in the shop.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:47 AM

2007 S600
Originally Posted by EasyPhil
If you don't have the capability to diagnose and fix your own car you should purchase or lease a new one unless you have money to cover repairs and a spare car when the car is in the shop.
Never new... but CPO, probably. New cars are a horrible, horrible deal. I can't imagine ever buying another one.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:07 PM

searching for s550
I’m not a new car guy either. My credit union gives new car loan rates for 3 model years so I have always found a year or two old with 20 thousand miles.

Sure does sound like you guys are greedy with the S class goodness! Trying to scare the towns folk away and keep them all for yourselves. Lol. It’s always risky buying a used car. A Ford Taurus can drop a tranny and set you back 1500 bucks. There’s a little bit of luck and a little bit of experience involved in buying a used car.

Anything you can tell me to look out for specific to the m275? I can spot a problem with n a cars a mile off but I do not have much experience with forced air. My Supra is forced air but it was rebuilt (the turbo) before it was gifted to me.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:24 PM

2007 S600
[QUOTE=mattc;7962838Sure does sound like you guys are greedy with the S class goodness! Trying to scare the towns folk away and keep them all for yourselves. Lol. It’s always risky buying a used car. A Ford Taurus can drop a tranny and set you back 1500 bucks. There’s a little bit of luck and a little bit of experience involved in buying a used car.

Anything you can tell me to look out for specific to the m275? I can spot a problem with n a cars a mile off but I do not have much experience with forced air. My Supra is forced air but it was rebuilt (the turbo) before it was gifted to me.[/QUOTE]
Just trying to be realistic. Owning one of these is a new experience, unfamiliar to those who are used to buying a Ford/Honda/Chevy/whatever, and needing to do nothing but change oil and fill the washers for the first ten years. And if that Taurus drops a transaxle and you take it to a Ford dealer, it's going to be several thousand more to fix it. No different with a Mercedes, so either find an independent mechanic who KNOWS these cars and won't screw you, or be prepared to fix it yourself.

I have had zero problems with the engine, turbos included (once I fixed the pre-exisitng bad IC pump and leaky valve cover gasket). It's solid, and gobs of power forever. It's all the other stuff you need to watch out for. It's a 2-1/2 ton car, with very complex systems, big alloy wheels, and not a lot of sidewall. Fail to dodge potholes and you'll break things. Fail to do preventive maintenance, like an ABC flush now and again, and you'll pay dearly for your neglect. And if you're going to do it yourself, you'll NEED a laptop, adapter, and Xentry/DAS software. Plus the wonky tools for the bolts Mercedes uses. Fortunately, none of that is prohibitively expensive, nor are most parts. Service is for the most part pretty straightforward.

Take care of the car, treat it well, give it the gas and the care and the preventive maintenance it demands, and it will reward you with an amazing driving experience. Just make sure you pull all the abandoned panties out from under the seats before giving the kids and in-laws a ride.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:18 PM

searching for s550
Originally Posted by WHPH28
Make sure you check the paint and body lines well. I've bought enough of these from pics/videos that anything that looks suspect, I make sure I ask for better pics/videos of the areas. Even though it may be a clean carfax doesn't mean it was never in a fender bender and was fixed by a shop that didn't report it and was not through insurance. It could be the lighting on the rear bumper or shadows also.

well that was a thirty minute detour for nothing lol. Arrived unannounced to look at it just shortly after they opened and it was in the service bay. Couldn’t drive it because they were waiting for an ignition module. Had some vertical scratches on the rear bumper like someone hauled a fridge in the trunk and slid it down the bumper cover. The passenger front seat adjustment knobs were broke. And the over all feel of the vehicle was tired and wore out. The search continues!
Old 03-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500L
Buy S550. Check piston heads . Mers S500L 16 - 17k pounds. There is one there now wit

Check out Piston Heads. Used cars. Merc. S500L. Price 16-17k pounds. 18k miles only. 2010.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:04 AM

searching for s550
And then the pandemic hit! Still looking for a nice used s600/65. The used car market is rough right now. Hopefully in a few more months the market will be flooded with v12's under 25 Grand!
Old 11-29-2020, 11:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
S-65 AMG
Originally Posted by MacMP
Go to the Mercedes cpo site, be enter your address, and search for what you want. Then have it shipped to you.
Are there any W221s that still qualify for CPO?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
S-65 AMG
The ones that I can afford without taking a loan are all betweeen 90-110 thousand miles.
There is a lot of variation in interior wear on vehicles with 90-110k miles, so make sure you see it in person. Some of them will have holes in the seats and the floormats and all kinds of broken or stained interior pieces. Others will be pristine and look like 30k mile cars..

It isn't always the owners either, often it is the presence of young children in the house. Young children will destroy a car interior.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
This one looks pristine, 34k miles, over your budget but nice:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...233101173.html