S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 12:38 AM

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Originally Posted by BOTUS
get on with it it works
age dependant we found from 2007 to early 2008 some comand modules were forgotten on the list of supported unit the software will write to - I added a euro one and one USA one to the list and a few others found it installed just the same
Thanks Botus... Are you referring to the "clock fix"? I have the .iso file I downloaded Oct 2020-- just haven't installed it... Is there a later iteration of the ISO file?

To anyone else.... we are talking about a bug in the GPS clock for the (2007-2009) 221 that was fixed by an MBworld member... (For example, my NAVI can show the ETA time at prior to the actual time, like ETA = 4:19 when it's 4:40 actual time and I'm 30 miles from the destination)... The fix was adopted, officially by MB in 2020-- LOL... No special equipment needed... You just burn a CD and install it...

Regards... Mark
Old 09-24-2022, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by mcypert
Thanks Botus... Are you referring to the "clock fix"? I have the .iso file I downloaded Oct 2020-- just haven't installed it... Is there a later iteration of the ISO file?

To anyone else.... we are talking about a bug in the GPS clock for the (2007-2009) 221 that was fixed by an MBworld member... (For example, my NAVI can show the ETA time at prior to the actual time, like ETA = 4:19 when it's 4:40 actual time and I'm 30 miles from the destination)... The fix was adopted, officially by MB in 2020-- LOL... No special equipment needed... You just burn a CD and install it...

Regards... Mark

yes the clock fix
yes a later update disc

on a UK forum some english guy couldn't get it to load at all, and nor could his main dealer - then a new member here was having the same issue with a USA unit (just checked it was kevm14), fortunately they worked with us on which comand units they had. That in itself is a nightmare because Mercedes part numbering isn't right - in the comand ENG menus they have a MB number listed but its not actually the MB number !!!! Anyway turns out BOTH USA and Euro bod had units 2007 to 2008 that were not supported by the original update.

I made a test disc including theses comand units and BOTH drivers were mad enough to use it - it ran exactly the same but now many more thousands of owners can fix later previously unsupported units. Polar Bear popped back and offered a few ideas which helped. He was then at one point going to adopt. But I guess stopped as there was no need..

catch up on clock fun from here https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8467458

However anecdotally two other hurdles
1) the foremost hero's doing comand fixes, updating and toy retrofits in the UK claim LOTS more units missing - but never worked out how to add support for these on a disc that worked (gave them mine, need to check if they still have others)
2) japanese units are very different and no one knows how to get in the ENG menu, but intriguingly BenzNinja found a very strange Update CD for a comand APS unit for a w221, it has a very different file folder structure and most modules are different (where Euro / USA comand units are much the same), but hidden in one folder is the exactly same clock file. So somehow this could be fixed too - but what cars got this unit ?????

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-24-2022 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcypert (09-25-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
CFF versions in the 221 SAM-H timeline:

4421300 04.2006
4422400 31.10.2007
4422600 20.12.2007
4423300 6.6.2008
9021400 16.01.2009
9021401 6.1.2009
9023903 1.6.2012
9024003 4.6.21012
9024903 03.04.2013

just looked at 221 442 1300 and its the most different iteration out there - so it could be the muppets never knew what they were doing in every iteration after they built the car - makes sense to me, I think the S gets the best engineers on a mega tech fest - then they retire - and the tech docs make refs to user menus the car never had - could well be why they struggled with the early comand updates and made it worse twice (messing vol control up for 6 months) before finally getting it right in the update 03 2008 - but (maybe) only when the rear SAM is left working as intended and not broken by a dodgy update
so today with the expertise of Mr BenzNinja we flashed the R SAM with 221 442 3300 - as I thought - especially as a few Christmases ago an indy with online dealer kit told me my R SAM can't be SCN'd. The current replacement Rear SAM spare part 221 540 8562 that comes with software 221 442 2600 installed - seems to be a special easy code mess up with limited configuration options. I guess maybe it works out of the box for most cars as is?

Having flashed with 221 442 3300, I now get far more pages of configuration - nothing too taxing but you need to know what seats and headlamps you have etc. A little disappointing, it seems the diagnostic capability remains as was at 0/5 whereas that one they insist on forcing on the car at main dealers gets 0/9 diagnostics (which would be way on from the original build of 0/3) - which I guess is why they love it. But as I say it changes the behaviour on my car of the Active Cruise Control in ways I find dangerous and unpleasant to use... even her in the passenger seat can feel the car has gone wayward, and she shouts at me if I use cruise when the cars is running that last iteration they messed up.

Have yet to drive it to see if everything behaves... will report back if the cruise goes odd on me again... And that flipping Mute feature wasn't functioning as I put the tools away. I keep forgetting - a guy I know with a CL550 I see was running R SAM 221 442 3300 from the factory on his mid 2009 car and then he had it updated to the same one Merc love for mine. But last time I saw him I forgot to test if his mute feature works... No one else seems to understand what I'm talking about - which drives me towards early cars worked and later one were sold with it missing...

Last edited by BOTUS; 01-28-2023 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
these cars are strange - my headlights have come out lower after the R SAM update don't believe there is supposed to be a connection - when we did a software update on the headlight units 6 months back they came out much higher but also responded to the steering movement far faster, the height was about right (had been a bit low and I never got round to changing it) but the movement with the steering wheel was much worse - from well judged, to too fast and wrong

we actually hunted about today to see if we can find a setting on the speed of response for the headlights but couldn't see it - seems its part of the software and there are no user tweakable parameters - but taking for a drive tonight can't be sure but they seem closer to the speed of movement on the steering it had - and the height is definitely way lower - no wonder I had thought they came out higher after the update months back - the things reach about 30 yards less on dip beam tonight

all of which to me - points to them changing stuff between model years without really understanding that they made adjustments in software on parts with no knowledge if it was the right thing to be doing...
Old 10-31-2022, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
well, well, well - re these cars are strange statement above - how's this for you

lots of things are different now the car is on R SAM software ending 3300 up from 2600 at the weekend - we can pretend I'm imagining much of it, but its improved for the better

1) good
since the R SAM was replaced with the later current spec spare running 221 442 2600 software, I have been suffering a knocking noise front footwell area in traffic / low speed conditions - whilst I had this fault previously, and I noticed it go away after a software update - details below - I knew I'd already had the software fix for this fault. So didn't believe I could fix it again, especially as I didn't want to move the ABR software as it was a fight to move the car to the 7 year later and presumably far safer software - in fact I forgot what changed when the knocking noise and feel came back on the brake pedal - and had begun to think it was just wear and tear.....but then at its last roadworthyness test a few months back, he'd used his new ramp and wheel plate thing to shake and judder the front suspension to test for wear, play, bushing issues - after giving it the all clear, I said so you didn't find anything hanging off. He looked at me oddly - and I said well somethings wrong it makes this horrid knocking noise. So he had another look and again said there's nothing wrong, but then as he drove off the brake test rolling road he realised he could feel and hear the knocking noise

And here's that early software fix in the ABR that seems to have come back to life curing the knocking noise .

P-B-43.10/04 OCT07 Whistling/clicking/thudding from the driver footwell area when driving in Distronic or Speedtronic (cruise control) mode, the cause may be due to noises coming from the Brake Assist System (BAS) activation of the solenoid valve in the brake booster. The software for the ABR control unit will be updated to prevent the solenoid from vibrating.

2) good
pretty sure the headlights have returned back to how they were prior to the later headlamp software that mess them up

3) good
radar cruise braking - this appears to have returned to how it was when it left the factory - with more pronounced braking modulation over far more conditions, the current SCN release is dangerous and mostly never brakes, and when it bothers tries badly to play catch up and is so hopeless / bad passengers shout at you. 2600 was OK, and 3300 often starts to brake a smidge more than you think it could have, but then eases off and frequently impresses that is mostly read the conditions well - and at other times brakes to a complete gentle stop in traffic perfectly

4) nasty
rain switching out the radar cruise - a hideous feature that rocked up after a software update years back (that went away after I changed the Rear SAM) came back tonight - alongside the same amber message, not available. Last time was 2019 after the original R SAM was updated to the current SCN release. So as far as I can recollect before 2019 and on then later software ending 2600 you could drive in terrible rain and the radar cruise worked without issue, after that update in 2019 and again tonight on 3300 after working perfectly but a bit wet and horrible as the conditions improved radar cruise switches out throws the message and will not allow you to re-enable for many miles.

5) rubbish
the broken Source Fade to allow Nav and TCM overlay messages to be heard, is still missing

otherwise it seems to be driving more like a S class - from ride comfort, gear changing being the best it has in years, and that awful knocking disappearing for the first time in years - so running real deal software in the Rear SAM seems t help - AKA an iteration that allows full customisation of the car to the spec / toy count it left the building with..

Old 11-02-2022, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 467 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Why would it shift differently? Unless TCU adapts somehow got reset.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
yes, not sure - but it seems to be driving like a different car - seems more relined and smoother in its ride comfort, steering, throttle response, gear changes the lot.... Setting up a normal R SAM you select which country and a number of other bits - but I can't think they customise much if anything like that. But it could be lots of stuff comes to life correctly when done using dealer kit and the replacement part you can buy off the shelf with 221 442 2600 is just a get it out of any indy garage and hand back a running car without tools?
Old 11-02-2022, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 467 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
If I could get rid of all the tip-in torque management (and anti-lash programming) I'd be a lot happier. I get used to it but when I drive other cars and go back to the S550, under certain conditions, it's ridiculous. And I have that tune, too. It must be in the TCU.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:36 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
yes the clock fix
yes a later update disc

on a UK forum some english guy couldn't get it to load at all, and nor could his main dealer - then a new member here was having the same issue with a USA unit (just checked it was kevm14), fortunately they worked with us on which comand units they had. That in itself is a nightmare because Mercedes part numbering isn't right - in the comand ENG menus they have a MB number listed but its not actually the MB number !!!! Anyway turns out BOTH USA and Euro bod had units 2007 to 2008 that were not supported by the original update.

I made a test disc including theses comand units and BOTH drivers were mad enough to use it - it ran exactly the same but now many more thousands of owners can fix later previously unsupported units. Polar Bear popped back and offered a few ideas which helped. He was then at one point going to adopt. But I guess stopped as there was no need..

catch up on clock fun from here https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8467458

However anecdotally two other hurdles
1) the foremost hero's doing comand fixes, updating and toy retrofits in the UK claim LOTS more units missing - but never worked out how to add support for these on a disc that worked (gave them mine, need to check if they still have others)
2) japanese units are very different and no one knows how to get in the ENG menu, but intriguingly BenzNinja found a very strange Update CD for a comand APS unit for a w221, it has a very different file folder structure and most modules are different (where Euro / USA comand units are much the same), but hidden in one folder is the exactly same clock file. So somehow this could be fixed too - but what cars got this unit ?????

Thanks again Botus:

I used the 12/2021 iso-- sorry, it took me so long, just never got around to burning the CD. Oddly I couldn't get Polar Bear's instructions to get to the Engineering Menu, but MB Topic number LI82.85-P-069468 got me there. So the mechanical clock is correct and ETA's look accurate as well. Takes about 5 minutes...

Regards... Mark
BOTUS (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I noticed on I think BOTH the Clock Fix and on the Map updates the later cars (qrt_2 2007 to qrt_3 2009) behave slightly differently - they throw a message saying it failed / wrong disc and you just pop a brave pill go sure it did, try again and it always runs...

Its very easy to forget to put the the comand in the settings view - forget that, and no matter how much dexterity you can command its not getting in the eng menu (the comand on / off bit was a red herring)
Old 11-21-2022, 12:54 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Yes... The MB instructions are:

2. Activate "Engineering Mode" by performing the following steps... :
- Select "vehicle" then highlight "SYSTEM SETTING" using the COMAND controller
- Push the COMAND controller to the right and hold it
- Press the "seat adjustment" button and the "mute" button
3. Remove any and all CD's currently in the drive and place the burned CD-R with the .iso file into position 1
4. Under the "Navi" tab navigate to "GPS" and note the current software "Release" number
5. Under the "COMAND" tab, select "software update" to initiate the software update using the CD-R

Step 4 is not needed, unless you want to verify you changed the Release #...

Thanks again... Mark
BOTUS (11-21-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
this should probably go in the clock fix post - but there u go

BenzNinja found two update CDs for headunits that are not common in genuine European, USA, or Australian cars - when you pull those discs apart you find info that suggests they could be update discs for the Jap / Far East headunits

CD 2218270865-0001
seems to be an earlier disc for european / usa cars but ALSO did some Far East stuff - but for these its far more likely to be a strange clone of the Euro/USA comand units as all the folder structures are so similar

# SOFTWARE_HEADUNIT_JAPAN_DVD_CHANGER_NAVI_D19_1
# SOFTWARE_TELEMATIK_HU_CHINA_APPLIC_CODE_E29_9b
# SOFTWARE_TELEMATIK_HU_KOREA_APPLIC_CODE_E29_9b

CD 2218276259-0001
has support for a very different head unit for the w221 called APS (which is an acronym many other Merc models use for their comand units)? and the folder structure and Head Unit (HU) is VERY different

For any 221 car with SAT NAV across ALL FOUR update discs below - they all have the very same time / date file for the Sat Nav in the VESPUCCI folder - so the file Polar Bear patched could be used

first disc is Euro 221's
..............................................next Euro CL models that somehow have a slightly different comand unit, so support for the last update gets missed if certain CL's use the 221 disc that Xentry wrongly says is suitable
.................................................. ...............................................USA current disc
.................................................. .................................................. ........................................goodness knows

Old 01-08-2023, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 S550 W221
Where in TX I am from HTX

Originally Posted by mcypert
So, Zainie, if I'm getting this correctly, your forward radar sensor (Distronic/DTR) got "bricked" when you tried to update? More specifically, I'm assuming the control module is built into the radar unit behind the front grill and it was damaged. Again, see the DAS warning for ABR:

​​​​​​"Note: Failure to observe instructions may result in irreparable damage to control units."

I never take that sh## seriously. But, maybe we should... Voltage and connection MAY be THAT important after all, if your expensive lesson tells us anything... Thanks for sharing...

Put another way, the outdated Xentry/DAS/Dell/XP is a really stable platform. Hard-wired, no wireless connection and even laptop battery backup, make it pretty hard to screw up... A "dry-run" of charger/battery capacity, with ignition on, may be good insurance to make sure the car battery can handle it (not that that's what happened to you).

Finally, on the music muting, BOTUS has written extensively on the issue in this thread. IIRC, his solution was even more updates.

"Barbecue" over??? In Texas, we have another saying, "It ain't a Party until something gets broke!" Congrats...

Regards... Mark
2010 w221
Old 01-08-2023, 11:33 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
In my profile: SPI

Regards... Mark
Old 02-15-2023, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treka
flashen and akttab files for 03.2106

Hello and thank you for your diy. I downloaded the sdflash files, but I have been searching for hours for the flashen and akttab files for 03.2106 without finding anything, could you please give me a hint of where to find them? Thanks again for the help
Old 02-16-2023, 04:04 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Yonoyo:

Sorry, I've slept (and drank) a lot since then (when I did this DIY). Quick search found akttab.csv.... ) attached...

PM me with your email and I'll see if I can find and send flashen... What I think I know what it is....... won't attach, but I have it...

Regards... Mark

Attached Files
File Type: csv
akttab.csv (244.1 KB, 628 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 04:36 AM

Treka
Thank you Mark, yesterday I found a file named "03.2018 akttab", so I thought I needed a specific one for my 03.2016 version, will compare it with yours to check if it´s just a generic one.
Will send you a PM, thanks again for all the help
Old 02-24-2023, 02:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
ESP update for 4Matic 2219029602 from 2214421153 is working quite nicely for me.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
you were brave enough to just flash it to the car ?
Old 02-24-2023, 08:53 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
you were brave enough to just flash it to the car ?
Had to, the reman unit I got was for a 2 wheel drive car and the car seems to drive smoother but keep in mind for the last couple of weeks ESP and ABS were not working..
BOTUS (02-25-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:03 AM

CL 550
Hello

I have a Mercedes CL 550 from 2007 year.

Recently i bought a new Command (refurbished) .I went to my friend who has Star diagnosis and when he connected to Command it required update CD Telematics.

After that i went to MB official service to update the command and they told me that I have the latest update so i don't have to update the command.

Now i am confused?

In att. are the pics od the command message. Where i can check the version of my command software?

And where can i find the info which is the latest for my command?

Thanks for help.

Greetings from Croatia

Old 03-16-2023, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
at times if you have used facelift replacement parts (that are actually better, just as suitable, and running newer software) - whilst they function correctly, the car doesn't know and throws lies about being out of date

here's a simple check, (that until a clock patch came out) was a good way to check to see if the car was up to date -

in Comand settings - time and date - check the date displayed after taking the rear battery off - if its 2003 or somewhere close you can quickly look in a secret Comand Engineering menu to see if the car says 422

that would usually be all you need to know if the car got the last mid 2008 Comand update they made - but I suspect if the clock was fixed applying the stand-alone patch - it will update the version to display 423 but the rest of the Comand might not have been updated

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8468441

you could do a "quick test" scan - press F8 and post back the info listed on the

Comand unit - SW date and FW part number

Tuner / AMP - SW date and FW part number

CTEL - SW date and FW part number

DAB if fitted - SW date and FW part number

TV if fitted - SW date and FW part number

Last edited by BOTUS; 06-26-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
more software madness....

of late had disastrous change in MPG, then last two times heading to empty, the analogue gauge should have meant 2 to 3 gallons left - yet the digital display said EMPTY - then I remembered this came around the time I had gone back to the original cluster software to see if I could fix two faults....

1) return away from crazy bodge cure, re purple tinge on cold days by forcing brightness too high - going back made no difference (but the update is what does it)
2) fix stupid broken Nav or TMC mute overlay - made no difference (as posted elsewhere suspect incompetence in another module update broke it)

but the original cluster software also took me backwards on a safety update I'd got used to.... if the vehicle is stationary and you turn the car off (the update) would auto place the car in park for you. The older software only does this upon removal of the key - which might not be what you are doing but still needed it in park, or you get out and the car rolls away....

and the point of the post proving Merc have no idea what they are doing - the old software had put back (aka fixed) the stupid distronic radar graphic that Merc broke with incorrect changes in both the Rear SAM and the cluster (both impact this graphic negatively). When it left the building the scale and distance to hit car in front was perfect, the cluster update ruined it to joke view and the Rear SAM update they force on you these days, then makes it even worse.

Now I've moved to current cluster release software (only a few months newer from what it had in 2006) - that two car graphic is ruined again - but the MPG has picked up by 4 MPG - strange but true on the last point and makes you feel less robbed, but rather disappointing on the first bit. I had hoped - naively - maybe the interim R SAM software on the car now and the cluster update (that came out around the same timeline) might have made that bit right too....

re MPG, I guess some how the SCN bit re does the scale of the MPG when the car is running the later software ??? - can't see how it was the same MPG on old software and then same on newer software - but then goes mad (AKA wrong) if going back to that earlier software release....
mcypert (06-28-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Time for more software fun ?

so the Crashing iPod 2 kit and source fade for Sat Nav overlay feature might both have had a change of heart.... Still unsure what changed or how it can affect things

The fade thing that went awol in 2019 I think it might be back, seems like it, however its not as good it was - but must remember you can confuse yourself - and it is behaving a lot like this - but appears to be working at slightly lower vol levels as I can just detect on voice broadcasts at sensible vol levels.

You can find the later fade for overlay - if you wind the vol up big time, it will cut back the source by 25% if a Nav message cuts in, just coz you are listening on mega vol levels. This was the bodge up the added after they destroyed how it was meant to work, where later engineers didn't know it was there, so wiped lots of code during a software update...

The crashing iPod 2 kit is the most interesting - this has worked 4 times in a row - which is hasn't done since fitting it three years back

The driver of these two behavioural changes - were after giving up trying to resolve the Mute overlay bug and moving forward again to later releases to get back some functionality that went away when rolling back to earlier iterations where the source fade for Nav overlay had worked. In one week I changed

1) flashed the rear seat module to 18 month newer release

2) pushed the rear control field to current release (software buttons on the rear arm rest), it crashed, but succeeded on the second attempt

3) Comand knob COU moved to latest release

4) Cluster software - As posed above the MPG display fell of a cliff rolling back to the original software - moving forward has improved displayed info by 4 mpg - and it does push the car to Park if stationary, engine off, if you open the drivers door - the original software only shifts to Park if you take the key out. But does mess up day time brightness and does ruin the two car radar graphic

5) OCP to later release - this module likes to throw the car in a tailspin - but we managed to do it without a battery reset this time (key is meant to be OFF when flashing this module)

As 4 of those 5 were on the car previously and the iPod still liked to play up at least every other drive - its rather odd - I find it hard to think the rear seats caused it - but maybe this was throwing toys round the canbus the IPod didn't like ? after all they must have released the update for some reason.... ?
Old 07-27-2023, 07:10 AM

audi q3
thanks a lot for information! This might help me to solve similar issue with my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY