S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
RAMBLING MADNESS ALERT - Audio comand system Nav and TMC mute - fix update....

Any Traffic message or any Nav overlay, can be set (whilst its active) to ANY vol setting you want and the car just remembers it (with no user view of this setpoint).
Thus if you set Nav to say 50% vol and the Radio to 50% vol, they would thus be the same Noise level.
However when NOT broken, the Nav message just like TMC traffic message should fade the radio back a lot, until its ONLY the Nav that is clearly audible (or any other source, in exactly the same way). When the message stops the radio (or other source) comes progressively back to focus. This was the only impressive feature the car ever had.

If this feature is BROKEN a partial bodge can intervene - this is one they added in late 2006 when a comand update broke everything - and they didn't understand how to unravel the mess they had made - so just added a nasty extra that tries to support a little when using silly volume levels. This bodge up is operational once a source is using >75% vol, where a default save your ears extra, helps a bit and makes a 20% difference between the radio and Nav / TMC messages. But you should NEVER notice this nasty feature - as the unbroken original design overrides and does it properly - with more like a 60% fade of the original source....

Mine broke in 2019 and behaves now as though the Mic can't hear the radio - so never remembers to do its job for the original fade feature

So I'm back on a mission to sort this no fade bug on my Car - above I was rambling maybe it was back working - it was just the high vol mute, that easily catches you out and makes you think you are getting somewhere - There aren't that many hiding places left as I've changed modules and software back and forth.... The only bit left is to try and update the system again and or SCN in the hope some unexplained fiddling does some magic... But my car will not allow either of those choices (until today)...

Quick summary - Merc's last official update to the NTG3.0 comand system was created mid 2008 - nothing was EVER improved after this. It was a major tidy up of many bugs, tweaking around a few file types it could play, and enabling two big upgrades... TMC for the USA market and 3D bird's eye Nav view for all Markets. Post 2008 the only other change to the comand system software is an Amp update no one talks about - doing something with the integral FM tuner in late 2009. And then the need to sort the Clock fix bug - that no one knew was there till August 2019 - and you can fix that with a homemade CD using the files in post #264 of Polar Bear's thread.

My Car was updated via a main dealer using cd 2218270065 in 2014 updating things for the first time since build in Nov 2006 - as it had NEVER had any updates to maps or its comand system, which is normal for UK cars - dealers never bother to update anything - Once on the car, I only saw the 3D maps change (that I'd wanted), otherwise nothing had previously shown as faulty on my car (even though there was a lot of oddities and random bugs that can afflict early cars quite badly)

So to the whole point of this latest ramble - the original Nav and TMC fade worked prior to the update, and continued to operate perfectly post update (all the way until 2019)

Key point - in 2016 I had DAB retrofitted with OEM parts, loom, and tuner and officially added to the car's VDOC using online Xentry (note: DAB is the Euro equiv of Sirius radio)... Everything worked perfectly...
Then the Amp self destructed (as they do), and I put in a Facelift NTG3.5 Amp/tuner (its the same hardware - but I gained a nicer colour set on comand menus)... and still the Nav TMC mute worked perfectly

On a roll in 2019 we did some other updates on the SAMs, Cluster, OCP, UCP etc. and somewhere here between Jan and Aug 2019 the Nav TMC fade vanished
Today I remembered the last two Map updates also stops short reading out road naming - changing calling out 'A Four' it once said correctly, to 'A Fo' The last Euro Mapping was v17 - 2018/2019 disc

No one has ever made a jot of progress sorting out what changed breaking the Nav TMC mute feature on my car - multiple heroes all thought they knew how to fix and can sort it out in seconds - then all give up when they see some oddities on my car... and nowhere in any module can you find info about this feature. Even Merc technical documentation is just lies about features they never had on the 221

Most love to print out a scan of the Telematics that LIES there are issues with the comand out of date when ITS NOT
Their reasoning (other than the comand saying it is) - is the rubbish on the report that two modules can't be identified correctly, then never notice the one bit of info about DAB tuner being unsuitable...

The first bit that deeply offended was the regretful backwards flashing of the Facelift Amp/Tuner - same HW but on later better SW... the flash backward didn't help at all - but lost the nice colour scheme on my comand - and then you can't flash forwards again as Xentry is written to stop it (although have been looking at how to tell it that's a lie but the car always argues....).

Putting the Amp on its standard software when connected Online, one might have expected to have an effect once you know this is actually the only difference between NTG3 and NTG3.5 cars (re having the Mute feature I want operating...). NTG3.5 cars have a user menu to tick - so they can choose to use Nav / TMC fade or not - But with the earlier cars using the NTG3.0 its just always enabled... and incredibly, no other owner has ever mentioned they understand what the Nav / TMC fade feature is, or supported me by confirming if theirs is actually operational !

I've replaced parts and software and got nowhere and now in the BenzNinja club I thought we'd sort it, but things never wanted to behave the way we expected... Of course, as he doesn't have a 221 he isn't 100% up to speed with what isn't working - and with no one bothering to help me saying they have the feature on their car - for all he knows he's being asked to fix something I'm making up !!! which doesn't help, and even though we sorted lots of bits and played lots with software on multiple modules that are an element of the interesting SDVC Merc reinvented for the w221, its not fixed the mute bug - he was the only person able to move my Rear SAM back so I'm running older SW that Merc hate you to have - they would rather all cars get an inappropriate faulty iteration of software in the Rear SAM - as too stupid to not know its dangerous - they love removing pre-facelift software that allows the distronic braking to function normally - and pushing your car to post-facelift 2015 SCN'd death software... where it mostly fails to put the brakes on in time to stop

Anyway this summer with the tools I decide I'll try breaking the Comand system myself at home.... but I keep finding Merc are desperate to stop you getting anywhere...
1) It says out of date, but it won't allow you to try to update the entire telematics ring,
2) It won't update individual aspects one by one - but I know it can as I've seen it done on my car.... (with everything as it was until today)
3) And trying to understand why it thinks two modules aren't recognised correctly - if I try the MOST loop in a different order it goes mad and won't let anything work

Somewhere in this fight, I realised the world is just mad in Xentry - its full of random vagaries of its own confusion - like where it says I've not got a TV tuner - but I have, it was built at the factory with it - and it knows it has it - as it knows its sitting on the MOST network where it wants it, and it scans this very module in diagnostics and reports its working correctly.

Puzzling over this fiasco somehow got me thinking official retrofits are stupid - and so take a look inside the working of its diagnostics brain - where I find it doesn't have a check box ticked for the DAB module - yet magically it also scans and happily reports the working of this 'non-existent' feature ! So I say hey you dim witted diagnostics module moron, my car has a DAB module - where upon the car suddenly says HEY the comand's not out of date !!! HEY those two modules are the right ones... and they are in the correct MOST order... and they work... and their software is up to date !!!... but then says, but still I hate the software of your DAB module and there's no way I'm letting you flash it to software I know it should have, that is sitting right here inside this version of Xentry...

Whilst both the Amp and the DAB module I have are genuine W221 components - both are from a facelift vehicle - The stupidity Merc invented - is we never bother to keep track of what rambling madness we flash across our cars, and thus have no idea what we should be approving as later better less buggy software.... hence they forget to keep tools current saying this is better use this - or hey that's not going to work, push this - Instead it says I'm lost, starts throwing teddies, and then just lies...

And proving my point as you dig in to the subject - you find my later facelift DAB HW was actually used on pre-facelift NTG3.0 cars - and Xentry doesn't understand the world correctly - So whilst the Amp/Tuner it knows I shouldn't have was on later software, it wanted you to flash backwards. For the DAB tuner it is told twice to not allow this change as a) for NTG4.0 cars never let NTG3.0 software iteration on this component, and again b) if on NTG3.5 software never allow NTG3.0 software iteration on this component...

So whilst I have been looking at an edited set of files to say get over yourself - just Flash this NOW you dim tool !!! - I just came across an OEM DAB tuner which was only $20 on ebay - this one is at the start of life of the pre-facelift 221s where they had two modules with early or later HW (the early one seems to sound a bit cheaper and nastier than the Facelift DAB tuner I was using) but this earlier module has a HW and SW iteration that's on the approved list of fossil components and so I can now BOTH run a pointless update, and or get an online indy garage to SCN my telematics - and then I MIGHT get my mute feature to behave once again....

Except it won't - as it'll be some other bits they broke with more half baked jokeware that they still don't know about

Last edited by BOTUS; 12-02-2023 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Well, the change to the older Digital Radio Tuner brought the interesting RED TEXT bit below (full info for nerds beneath these three tuner modules you can try)

Older mini facelift MY 2007 tuner
DAB 2048705490 (option fit for early cars)
HW 2048700990 / 06.37
SW 0004424660 / 07.09.00

Somehow this 2006 era tuner sees and shows Station info for a broadcast standard that wasn't even thought of when this tuner was made. The tuner shows and deliverers sound (with very poor reception and average quality) for the old original DAB digital radio standard, yet magically also shows the Stations names of a far later 2016 DAB+ broadcast standard - but if you select any of these stations there is no sound (just pure silence) .

Later better NTG3.5 facelift DAB tuner - plug and play interchangeable with earlier unit
DAB 2219000100
HW 2048703694 / 07.25
SW 2219020400 / 08.49.00 had this in my car for 8 years...

Has far better, almost reliable reception and exceptional sound quality - but its ONLY a DAB receiver. Thus as many stations migrate to the new DAB+ standard, there is less and less to hear. And you have no knowledge there are others stations out there... This later unit operates better sounds better and somehow removes the detail of the DAB+ channels neither of these Black metal casing DAB units can receive. But Merc wrote in protection to stop a user flashing the same hardware to this software iteration with the unit fitted to a W221 and throw diagnostic warnings its an unsuitable control unit (all of which is just lies).

never fitted as OEM on W221 cars
DAB 1669003407 - I believe is both DAB and DAB+ tuner - mine's a 2015 MY production unit from an E Class - plugs in and sort of works - but can't get stable reception, I suspect due to the swamped channel list bug
HW 1663202089 / 10.10
B-SW 1669027703 / 11.50
C-SW 1669027603 / 11.50

This test unit is actually from a 2015 E class car and they are an aluminum and stainless steel covered later unit, as fitted as an option to NTG4.0 cars all the way back to 2011, I believe these were designed and built as a dual tuner module (DAB and DAB+). But early releases 2010 to 2014 never had the DAB+ turner switched on in software - As there was no broadcasting, till testing came in for 2015.

I had hoped my 2015 unit had DAB+ features switched on - if so, it seems afflicted with the received station number bug (see full info beneath). We tried this year, but it would not accept us trying to force flash this with an update using vediamo (we thought) due to the tangle of Merc security. However - now thinking about the change in the post #201 above - where I found telling the diagnostic module of my car there was a DAB tuner in the car - three modules in the MOST loop suddenly report they have current software - So I now wonder more, if it was the flash was unable to find the correct module to write to, rather than security silliness that stopped us?

For our USA friends DAB (digital radio - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...adcasting#DAB+ ) was invented ages back in 1995 and quite a lot of the world adopted it. But like all early tech they soon back tracked and started again with a more robust set up called DAB+ (but most don't understand they are incompatible with no back or forwards capability between the DAB and the later DAB+ standards).

Not helping - is the UK's version of how to broadcast TV and Radio led by the BBC. Who tend to be the biggest innovators of new broadcast technology and standardisation for the entire world (accepting Japan TV dev which is way out front - but theirs seldomly gets adopted by any other country). Somehow the BBC does stuff somewhat differently to Germany. Where the biggest issue comes as German Antenna's don't really function (ever). More evidence of this is out there on BMW motorbikes - In both regions USA Sirius SAT radio on BM bikes, AND implemented for European BM 2022 MY bikes, DAB doesn't work either - Yet frustrated owners in both regions cure the issue to almost 100% fit for use when fitting ebay budget junk aftermarket antennas.

The whole idea of DAB radio quickly went wrong when the commercial operators dialed back bandwidth / signal strength - in exchange for more stations.
As far back as 2005 DAB was readily out there to listen to with far more stations than FM and MW radio put together. But few had the equipment to receive it. (note DAB became std fit in European BMW cars from 2011 - but remained a rarity in Mercedes cars even as a a paid option till at least 2017 (in fact I don't think it was std fit till after 2021)... UK had a FM radio 'switch off' planned for 2012, but due to the lack of owners with DAB receiving equipment, this was delayed to 2015 (and with Merc still not bothering to fit it - plus most home owners not having any DAB equipment, that revised kill deadline was scrapped with no plans to kill FM radio till post 2032)

Europe's major switchover to DAB+ was in early 2016 and here Germany went a different route. Thus never realised their cars couldn't cope, with the same fun afflicting Peugeot and Citroen till 2018 and even Ford all the way in to 2021. Germany just turned off DAB forever more - leaving millions with redundant equipment. But in the UK, instead they changed to dual broadcast of both DAB and DAB+ (and still does so 8 years on).

However duel broadcasting brought crashing tuners - just like Panasonic TVs during the "TV switchover" from early DTV in MPEG2 - as HD DVBT2 came in with MPEG4 channels too. Dual broadcasting of both standards means un-updated tuners either find nothing or suddenly crash and reboot its DAB tuners under the strain of 130 + channels, as the software had only ever been written to understand >99 stations !

Anyway last point and pertinent to this thread - Mine still says Comand out of date - but I don't know - is this normal after applying the Clock Fix software? and if so did Merc in a tool update realise this and sort their incorrect Xentry diagnostic tool ?

OK in developer mode - with the gateway diagnostics updated correctly - so now displaying a tick for DAB that's been missing for 5 years (since professionals did the Merc Retrofit) - the MOST ring officially gets happy, then when you fit the older not as good DAB tuner they 'allowed' in the car as an Option - magically the dealer online tools will report my whole telemetics is fully up to date after all.... Like I have been telling everyone for the last 5 years ! But still I'm not getting the Source Fade thing to behave

...After replacing the Front SAM (Feb 2024) so I can have a test version of the original build software iteration - still no real change - but oddly I can get my iPod 2 kit to make a dam good impression of this original Source Fade - where the Source sound really cuts back big time when a Nav overlay plays - so the fun continues......

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-14-2024 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Oh forgot a bit - Trying to see where my car is using Xentry - I was in and out of MOST modules and went on trying to check settings

I deliberately didn't do a Xentry driven reset - as that messed stuff up in the summer and wiped all my stored Sat Nav addresses
So whilst in different menus, just seeking to check something - it decided to take over yet again - and it was going to waste 8 minutes of my life, faking that it was backing up my settings. Its meant to allow a workshop to swap a comand unit and give back as if they haven't. But it didn't work in the Summer and didn't work this week either !

I wasn't too worried as I'd only put 3 addresses back in - but yet again this stupid feature just doesn't work - yet uncommanded and seemingly unstoppable - it wastes time in BOTH directions (9 mins each) lying its backing up and pretending to write back settings - but all it does it wipe things to default

Put the Comand language in German !
Loses any Sat Nav addresses
Loses view and Personal PIO settings
And bins any stored radio station naming.

And didn't help with anything useful either...

can anyone confirm two points please

1) Pertinent to this thread - Mine still says Comand out of date - but I don't know - is this normal after applying the Clock Fix software? and if so did Merc in a tool update realise this and sort their incorrect Xentry diagnostic tool ?

2) Please can anyone confirm on their NTG3.0 car, if this bit is functional - when a Nav message plays, it should automatically fade the Radio Vol back a lot, (or any other source, in exactly the same way) until its ONLY the Nav that is clearly audible. When the message stops the Radio (or other source) comes progressively back to focus. ?

Last edited by BOTUS; 12-24-2023 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by BOTUS
Oh forgot a bit....

Comand Reset Via Xentry
yet uncommanded and seemingly unstoppable - it wastes time in BOTH directions (9 mins each) lying its backing up and pretending to write back settings - but all it does it wipe things to default

Put the Comand language in German !
And bins any stored radio station naming.
AND - Killed the car's ability to see the phonebook

And didn't help with anything useful either...

see bold above - went to ring a mate to say I'm coming round - No working phone ! had this before after checking the comand unit using Xentry...

Quick fix via the comand unit - go to System reset and RESET - and it wakes up magically able to remember to read the phone book off your phone - except....

Puts the Comand language in German !
And bins any stored radio station naming for Radio Tuner and DAB tuner.
AND - MAGICALLY re-enables the car's ability to see the phonebook !!!
Old 12-31-2023, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
noticed for the first time in ages the horrible 'later' SDVC disaster this week (audio system - speed dependent vol control) - driving a long then massive leap in vol as I went over a certain speed

before and after the major comand update (released at the end 2008 - but first applied on my car by a main dealer in Aug 2014) these cars used to have this perfect imperceptible SDVC feature - where it moved the vol level gradually, in an undetectable change based on ambient noise levels inside the car.

SDVC went from brilliant, to really cheap and nasty noticeable jumps in Vol level, alongside the Fade feature going walkabout - when we did other module software updates in 2019 - trouble was we did more than one and didn't release it was broken after doing the work... however I do recollect the hideous SDVC change as I left the garage

Front SAM - Jan 2019 and then global dealer network crashed (as Merc had done a big upgrade and broken stuff over Christmas) and we couldn't do any more

Rear SAM, DTR and SRG - March 2019

it was a warmer day when I first detected SDVC going stupid - so I guess it was the cluster mess that broke both features
Cluster - July 2019

as likely these were trying to fix it (UCP is part of the original SDVC as its the microphone that told the system how loud the car was... in conjunction with ABR and the Rear SAM modules)
ABR, OCP, UCP - Sept 2019

by Oct 2019 we were definitely trying to fix the Fade gone walkabout and STILL trying... and with support been back and forward on every bloody module software iteration multiple times
Old 02-12-2024, 09:29 AM

Location: In a national park (forest) just outside of Warsaw, Poland
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi, I am late to reply to this but having recently retired I've now got time to sort out a few niggling problems that my car (W221 S-Class) has been suffering with for years now and my local Mercedes dealer can't help me with. I am missing the Telemetrics update to add the 3D function to the SatNav (not really so interested in that but I am interested in the other updates such as to the Distronic system. This is a great thread but I have spent a long time looking and simply can't find anywhere to download the software (2218270665_000) from. Could you make this available me? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
if you use the comand system I would definitely get that last update - so many bugs its hard to understand how they managed to make so many
if you use the Sat Nav and can't find 3D Bird's-eye view option its a no brainer (even if you don't want this view lots of other improvements to navigation features)
the dealers no longer support the comand update in their workshops - getting the disc is more a question of file size. FYI its not exactly a straightforward process - My car doesn't need it, but I have never managed to get it to run - so I must be doing something wrong

On the OTHER Updates...

I wouldn't go for any of the Radars or Adaptive brake updates - my car has had these and its does NOTHING - maybe untrue - it cuts out, if the wipers have been on high speed for too long and you can have no cruise control at all even when the rain stopped 20 minutes ago - never did that in the five years before the updates

All four door modules YES
The following users liked this post:
martinjcheetham (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 01:14 PM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi Boutus, once again; thank you for detailed reply. Just to be sure I understand though. I don't need the 3D view update but I understand that there are many other updates which are worth having included with it? I am planning to install a box from Joyeauto which should give me a carplay interface to my phone so I can use google maps; hence no need for Mercedes SatNav. The Mercedes SatNav is pretty useless now as there are no more updates. I live in Poland and the roads change pretty much daily! I have Joyeauto box but I'm trying to get everything updated and sorted before installing it just in case it messes with the update process for any future updates (I don't think it does). I'll post back if I succeed and how well the box works. If anyone has the telemetrics disc I can provide a place where it could be uploaded so that I can download it (Dropbox)....

Of the other updates you only recommend the ones for the door modules?

I thought the one for the Radar might solve the problem of the Park Assist turning off when it's close to certain cars that emit radar signals? At the moment this it is a bit of a moot point as the Distronic & Park Assist are faulty (another thing my local dealer couldn't fix; perhaps that's not quite true but their suggested "fix" was to replace the wiring loom and the sensors behind the bumper. You can imagine the cost of that). I've tested the loom. It's fine. I also got hold of a second-hand sensor and tried it in all locations; no luck so i'm thinking that the sensor I got was also faulty or more than one sensor is faulty. Mercedes gave me the Xentry printout but it doesn't identify specific fault codes for any particular sensor so it's not very helpful. The odd thing about it is that the Park Assist works fine for a few minutes after turning the car on. It only shows a fault and switches off when slowing down a few minutes after setting off. I've seen another thread where this behaviour was tracked down to a faulty sensor so i'm going to try getting another second hand one and swapping them around again.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I thought the one for the Radar might solve the problem of the Park Assist turning off when it's close to certain cars that emit radar signals?
100% will not and they can NEVER resolve this - its a technology hiccup - car manu since moved frequencies away from the early stuff - when merc and jag used this tech no one else had bothered and only 1 in 10,000 or so cars had it so they never met or annoyed each other

then every speed cam, AI traffic light, shop door opening and aftermarket parking sensor kit from china has jumped in and thrown more noise in to the ether... and that somehow seems to mean Audi, Ford Jag, Land-rover, Nissan and Renault are the most offensive road users ever to your Mercedes

what type of parking sensors do you have ? early high end cars used four SGR radars that are entirely invisible.... and some then had the front central DTR radar for active cruise control in the front grille
they moved parking sensor duty to ultra sonic sensors mid 2007 or so - these don't pick up other cars electromagnetic noise...
but if you have Blind-spot assist they use something too
martinjcheetham (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:56 PM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Oh I see. Well it just prove that you can't believe everything (anything) that Mercedes tells you. My car has the four SGR sensors plus the central DTR sensor. I don't have blind-spot assist (wish I did; hired a car with it when visiting the States; loved it, hated the touch screen the car also has though). Thanks for yet another really helpful reply.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
obviously (well lets hope if anyone is allowed a driving license its common sense) any updates for the engine, gearbox or safety related stuff should be applied.... and quite logically updates for vehicle security or your privacy ought to be vital....

privacy concerns can now be discounted if anyone has any friends or family on facebook/whatsapp, you infected your house with an alexa device or use google maps
vehicle security doesn't exist if your car has the Keyless theft option
safety can be pretty much written off with the Takata airbag disaster (applies to basically any car in the world with an airbag made more than 5 years ago) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takata_Corporation

so with the world looking so good all we have left is updates for enhanced diagnostic capability, bug fixes impacting functionality, or deliberately introducing issues inline with modern business practices

its highly unlikely there are outstanding engine updates on the early w221s (but a few turn up now and again)
the gearbox one should have been done too, but worth a check (both were 2007 to 2008 era updates well inside warranty period)

comand update is the wrong choice of word its the telematix update - so comand (with firmware stuff, cpu microcode updates on the CPU, Nav traffic, Time of arrival, 3d maps), amp tuner stuff, Aux / CD playback formats, bugs for the telephone, the screen wandering around, TV tuner updates, DAB updates on some versions, and I guess if there probably the unusable lingatronic module etc.

all the early ones need door mould updates to stop the window operation giving up for fun. This is incredibly the biggest issue where we still see with 5 or 6 cars a year needing it 18 years after making them wrong

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-12-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 467 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Originally Posted by BOTUS
.. and that somehow seems to mean Audi, Ford Jag, Land-rover, Nissan and Renault are the most offensive road users ever to your Mercedes
Don't forget Subaru.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:25 PM

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Hi Martin:

This is the original poster, who started this mess. Welcome to the party!

A couple of observations, based on the info you’ve provided so far:

1. You mentioned getting Xenrty printout from Mercedes. You need STAR/ Xenrty set up for off-line programming (and the CD) to do the Telematics update.

2. I have the CD and files. You’re in Poland, so mailing is a bit of an issue. PM me a link and I'll upload, if you like. CD is about 400 MB. Just burn a CD as a data file.

3. You requested 2218270665. I think that’s the USA version, and EU has something different. BOTUS figured this out somewhere in this thread. If you have a USA spec car, the 665 is correct. Otherwise, you’ll need another version. STAR/Xenrty/DAS will tell you which one you need when you get to the point where you can do off-line programming. (Just guessing, but I think you have a long way to go. It’s not just plugging the CD in the car…)

4. I concur with what BOTUS said about software updates. Don’t update just because you can. Telematics is a good one, others, not so much. This thread has pretty much all that covered, i.e., good and bad; just requires about a week to read… LOL

5. Also concur with BOTUS on the ParkAssist. Just get used to the interference when diving slow around other cars. Distronic (if you ever get it working) will work fine at speeds were it can be engaged (>9 mph). ParkAssist Inoperable above 9 mph, usually means defective wheel sensor(s). Xenrty will tell you which wheel sensor is bad, but the wheel sensors are cheap (like $10), unlike the radar sensors (like $500). Otherwise, ParkAssist will reset on its own once you away from interfering vehicles.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck…

Regards… Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by mcypert:
BOTUS (02-13-2024), martinjcheetham (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 04:06 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi Mark,

Thanks you so much for getting back to me. I have read some of this huge thread so I understand the need for STAR/Xentry. In fact I bought a Chinese knock off a little while ago (I also have a c-class & SLK so I figured it was worth it). It took forever to reach me here in Poland and sadly my tablet has an issue connecting to the STAR (the dreaded 801 error). I'm currently working with the supplier to fix it. I can guess that you are thinking but I do believe that this is a decent box and supplier. The C4 is very well made, boots up fine etc. and the supplier has been responsive but so far hasn't managed to get the connection sorted (partly my fault as I insisted on using my own tablet rather than buying a complete working kit). I will PM you but I think I need to work through the whole tread first to figure out exactly which software I need; there are a lot of variations! I don't want to waste your time and energy.

I'm not put off by your original complicated post; my career was in IT so I'm pretty comfortable with IT stuff but you are sort of right; this has turned into more of a challenge than a necessity. I'm irritated that the local dealer didn't keep my car updated. Unfortunately when I was working I just never had the time to check up on what was needed and trusted them to do the right thing. You are also right I need to take care to select which updates make sense to apply. Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2024, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
post #187 had this

left Europe W221s - next Europe CL W219s - then USA - then goodness knows far east weird beard is current thinking

The following 2 users liked this post by BOTUS:
martinjcheetham (02-14-2024), mcypert (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 09:25 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
You’re welcome Martin:

I sent you a PM with my info and a link for the “Flashen” folder described in part 4 of post # 1.

Your STAR investment will pay for itself the first time you use it. And, I know about the setup problems. I got mine in 2015 and it took the Chinese Team Viewers a few tries to get it working, even with the correct Dell laptop. As mentioned, make a clean copy of the working HD and then start f’ing with the backup HD to get to off-line programming.

And, you have a leg up on me with your IT background. I’m a Mechanical Engineer/Lawyer and started this from scratch. And, my last programming education was Fortran IV… LOL. Hence, the rather complicated instructions provided in post #1. Also, as mentioned, my Xenrty was/is version 2014-09, so you my need some tweaking to the instructions. If I figured it out, I’m sure you’ll do fine...

Good Luck... Mark
Old 02-14-2024, 03:29 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi Botus, thank you for posting this, it makes everything clear. I would have got there eventually but I only reached post #100 yesterday!
Old 02-14-2024, 08:54 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Also, post # 154 has the programming for the various Telematics CD’s. Most notable, the 065 has TV... But, they are each VIN # specific, and you'll need the one DAS asks for. BTW, I don't have all the files for the 065 (Europe) CD… Only 665 (USA). Others here have 065… But, you’ll find out which one you need when you get to programming.

Regards… Mark
Old 02-15-2024, 03:51 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
I still didn't reach #154; only managed to get to #125... OK thanks for the information. I think it might be awhile before I get to that point. I still don't have support for the C4 (Chinese holiday) and i'm in the middle of sorting out the park assist/distronic. Then i've got my carplay box to install. I'll post back when I know exactly is being asked for.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by mcypert
Also, post # 154 has the programming for the various Telematics CD’s. Most notable, the 065 has TV... But, they are each VIN # specific, and you'll need the one DAS asks for. BTW, I don't have all the files for the 065 (Europe) CD… Only 665 (USA). Others here have 065… But, you’ll find out which one you need when you get to programming.

Regards… Mark

mcypert is correct in that it tells you which CD to use as you try to do the update... except in Europe it says you can use either disc 0065 or 4159 - but in the list in post #187 or #215 you see the two discs are not directly interchangeable (but Merc haven't realised yet) if you have a w221 is easy its 0665 USA or 0065 Europe - if you have a CL you should seek to get the 4159 disc

re TV - both discs do TV, it s just the euro TV tuner is a different one to the USA cars
the USA disc also has the Sirius module software (whereas the European disc does the DAB
as for the telephone likely differences as those to run different stuff too
mcypert (02-16-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:08 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Things have moved forward a bit. Finally I managed to sort my proximity sensors! There maybe a moral to this story. I bought one secondhand; for some reason the supplier sent me two. Anyway one was faulty (error on dash immediately). Never mind thought I the other will be OK. Long story short it wasn't so 2 duff ones. Bit the bullet and tried again, bought another one, and this one was fine. Still a lot cheaper than buying just one new Mercedes one. I now finally have also got my DAS working it's using Xentry software version 33.6.24_V4 09/2023. Mark do you think this is going to work with the offline update files you sent me? Unfortunately my quick scan uncovered a heap of ominous looking errors. I think I should work through these before I have a go at the Telematics update. I hope that most, if not all, are historical; as far as I know everything in the car is working correctly. More investigation needed.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
most of these W221 will not have been plugged in to any diagnostic tool that could talk to the car fully for some 10 to 15 years (if ever !!!)
the dealerships have yet to read a single TIPS document ever published - and those that might have seen one of these cars in the early days for service or warranty work, you can bet never dared to update a single module

1) coz they had no idea how,
2) coz too scared to break it
and
3) coz they still don't believe software has only ever been random jokeware thrown together by clueless overpaid strange people, and development and testing has always ended when it almost functions two out of three times

so with it full of 17 years of fake fault codes from software that had more bugs than summer in Alabama - best ignore all of them and just wipe the lies out. And if the batteries actually function, you should get at least two starts before its full of new fake misleading detritus...

re. the list of which modules to think about having updated - if you have hardware MB 2218702958 for the UPC heater buttons, its taken me 10 years to realise, but now I'd want the third iteration below for the heater buttons - it seems to throw less lies round the canbus

early vehicles SW - 221 442 1323 REST plays up (my personal thought, its in a canbus argument with the Front SAM)
2007 TIPS they knew but were struggling to fix, stating in SW 221 442 2023 code comments under some conditions early fault could return
then I guess a better fix and why there was the second TIPS doc was to install SW 221 442 2623
then for 2010 MY they came up with 221 902 1102 and claim its OK for older cars too - I had this on my car for 4 years with the later F SAM software and my electrically heated front screen hasn't operated in all that time....

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-22-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 AM

Mercedes S-Class W221
Hi Botus, thanks for your thoughts. I think my car has been plugged into a diagnostic tool but, as you say, they've never dared to update the software and just used the tool to investigate whatever problem the car had at the time. My UPC is 221 870 115 8 so I may be OK there - no messages either. The FW version is 2214421423.

The most worrying message seem is related to the Dr-side SAM (2215451632); short or open circuit. The rest are (generally) No CAN message was received. I'll work through these and hopefully get them cleared. I know at least one relates to the Comand (video cable not inserted) as I was trying to install a CarPlay interface at the time the scan was done. This installation didn't go well. The unit just doesn't work, either that or i can't follow a simple wiring diagram! Pity as the Sat Nav is useless now.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
SAMs informing of ultimate doom are the normal fake faults you find - they are impressive in that they can tell if the cigarette lighter bulb has blown or if the passenger budget designed to self explode door mirror heater circuit wants to steal $100

as for your heater buttons don't get too excited, I think you found the wrong number... it looks like the SW version I suggest was also fitted on a later version of your UCP too, and from your number you are on a buggy early version...

normally most parts with firmware inside get three numbers on a sticker...

1st is the MB identifying number - but its not the spare 'part number' that's a 4th number just to confuse everyone - that they only talk about in the parts department or on the box!
2nd is the Hardware the part uses
3rd is the SW version its running... and here magically your part, but running the SW version I discussed and thus would be worth loading for your car - but the useless dealer tool will ONLY load the 4th facelift version...

try the update I suggest and I suspect quite a few of those canbus lies will run away and hide !!! if you use the facelift version dealer tools want to load they'll stay and you'll probably get some more new ones too (Merc have no idea what they are doing !)

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-22-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:14 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Originally Posted by martinjcheetham
Mark do you think this is going to work with the offline update files you sent me?
Martin, short answer: I dunno. Your Xentry version is 9 years later than mine. But, I suspect the programming should be the same so DAS can communicate with the car. Look for the “Flashen" folder in: das\trees\pkw, and if it's there, you should be good. I assume yours is running, maybe virtually, XP???

On updates, specifically what’s been done, around post #42 BOTUS and I were discussing how the DAS event logs will tell you what's been updated and what software was changed, and to what. For example, I was able to see that the dealer updated engine, tranny and body in 2008 on my 2007 S. So, you may already have some updates to the important stuff. (I think the dealers don’t update Telematics because it takes an hour and they don’t know it turns off the A/C compressor.) And, back to my old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it... Telematics being the exception.

As BOTUS said, don’t worry too much about all the fault codes. Just clear, drive, and see what comes back. (BTW… my passenger mirror heater is “open circuit”. Real bummer down here at 26* latitude… LOL.)

Regards… Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DAS Offline Programming & Telematics Update, DIY