S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Bent sway bar or something else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 03:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 S550 base
Bent sway bar or something else?

Replaced front front lower control arms, thinking it would help my car from pulling to the right, didn't fix it (still working through that) also noticed driver's side front front lower control arm was gouged out from sway bar contact. Now replacement front front lower control arm has the same gouge. Is my sway bar bent? Replaced sway bar end links and sway bar bushings look okay.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 931 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Audiomikej
Replaced front front lower control arms, thinking it would help my car from pulling to the right, didn't fix it (still working through that) also noticed driver's side front front lower control arm was gouged out from sway bar contact. Now replacement front front lower control arm has the same gouge. Is my sway bar bent? Replaced sway bar end links and sway bar bushings look okay.
I assume the “front front” lower control arm means the forward one of the arms?

Your problem with pulling is the alignment problem, which likely is result of the worn lower control arm ball joint on the rearward arm, which is the one where the air strut connects to making it to the load bearing control arm. Forward arm are called camper arms. They keep the wheels in alignment but do not carry vehicle weight and this is why these ball joints seldom wear.

I have no idea how the sway bar could reach either control arm if the link is in place.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:49 PM

2008 S550 base
Also replaced rearward lower control arm at the same time. Collision only occurs at full droop. So yes I unnecessarily replace both front front lower control arms. Discovered right air strut is bad. Weird, holds air on compression but rebound vents. IE while I'm jacking up just loud whoosh of air. Replacement on order, hopefully that will cure my pulling to the right issue.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 S450 4Matic, 2020 GLE450 4Matic, 2010 S550 4Matic(sold), 2012 ML350 4Matic(sold)
I would suspect it vents when you jack up the car because the sensor thinks it is too high because of too much air.
Sounds to me like it is working as designed.

Tom

Last edited by jbarhorst; 10-11-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-11-2021, 09:26 AM

2008 S550 base
Originally Posted by jbarhorst
I would suspect it vents when you jack up the car because the sensor thinks it is too high because of too much air.
Sounds to me like it is working as designed.

Tom
Even when the car is not on?

The venting noise is coming from the strut, not the valve block. Also only makes noise when jacking right side, not left.
My theory now is the sway bar is hitting on the drivers side during full droop because the passenger side strut has failed allowing more droop than normal, this pulls the sway bar down into contact on opposite side.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 931 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Audiomikej
Even when the car is not on?

The venting noise is coming from the strut, not the valve block. Also only makes noise when jacking right side, not left.
My theory now is the sway bar is hitting on the drivers side during full droop because the passenger side strut has failed allowing more droop than normal, this pulls the sway bar down into contact on opposite side.
I would change the sway bar links to shorter ones to keep the sway bar from hitting the control arm. Are you sure your links are the correct ones for the car? I don't think the bar end should reach to contact control arm in any situation.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:27 PM

2008 S550 base
Originally Posted by Arrie
I would change the sway bar links to shorter ones to keep the sway bar from hitting the control arm. Are you sure your links are the correct ones for the car? I don't think the bar end should reach to contact control arm in any situation.
OE links hit on left side as well. It is the bad strut, internal bits crumbled away allowing it to overextend.

Still also unclear with this question, does the air suspension monitor and adjust when the car is off?