S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Multiple chips in paint in front of back wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes S550
Multiple chips in paint in front of back wheels

When I was checking my car after recent service at the Mercedes dealer I noticed a lot of white spots on the black paint in front of my back wheels on both sides as shown in the first two pictures below. On closer inspection they looked like multiple abrasions and chips in the paint. I was concerned this may have come from their car wash after the service but took it to my local body shop for their opinion first before complaining to the Mercedes dealer. I did not notice this before but I did not do a really close inspection of this area beforehand. The body shop manager felt this was likely due from stone chips while driving, for example the front wheels may have sprayed it with the tiny stone rock pieces/cinder put in the roads this winter during bad weather and the fact the body of the car sticks out more in front of the wheels makes it more vulnerable. Has anyone else experienced this before? If this was the cause any suggestions for prevention such as splash guards? The body shop manager suggested putting touch up paint over the area as it would be expensive to fix and would likely just re-occur.

When looking at the pictures you will notice that it looks a bit better at the top of the paint on the first photo. I noticed what appeared to be a new scrape when the car was returned as shown in the third photo and the body shop manager buffed the area to help repair this as shown in the last picture.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Class S 500 M278
Originally Posted by jff550
When I was checking my car after recent service at the Mercedes dealer I noticed a lot of white spots on the black paint in front of my back wheels on both sides as shown in the first two pictures below. On closer inspection they looked like multiple abrasions and chips in the paint. I was concerned this may have come from their car wash after the service but took it to my local body shop for their opinion first before complaining to the Mercedes dealer. I did not notice this before but I did not do a really close inspection of this area beforehand. The body shop manager felt this was likely due from stone chips while driving, for example the front wheels may have sprayed it with the tiny stone rock pieces/cinder put in the roads this winter during bad weather and the fact the body of the car sticks out more in front of the wheels makes it more vulnerable. Has anyone else experienced this before? If this was the cause any suggestions for prevention such as splash guards? The body shop manager suggested putting touch up paint over the area as it would be expensive to fix and would likely just re-occur.

When looking at the pictures you will notice that it looks a bit better at the top of the paint on the first photo. I noticed what appeared to be a new scrape when the car was returned as shown in the third photo and the body shop manager buffed the area to help repair this as shown in the last picture.

I have the same "problem" as I just see it, so it's because the front wheels are located further out in the carbody and thus have an easier time sending pebbles backwards, which then hit the rear wheel edges.