S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Journey to my first S-class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S550
Talking Journey to my first S-class

Hi folks! I've been mostly lurking on MBworld for the past few years so I'm pretty excited to make this post. I moved to Canada a few months ago and I'm finally ready to get a car. I have always wanted a W221 because I consider that generation to be the best looking. I was in university studying mechanical engineering when they came out so they've always had a special place in my heart. Luckily enough time has passed that I can afford one. I did some looking around but I can't find a "definitive" list of things to look out for when searching for one, so here are the things I can think of right now:

I'm currently looking at 2009 S450 options, does this raise any immediate red flags?
What's the highest mileage you would recommend?
I plan to buy from a dealer using financing from my bank (I have access to some very good rates, plus I need the credit building effect)
Any comments on pricing?

Basically I just figure the best people to share this journey with are probably here so I'm putting it out. I will likely post updates as I solidify my options and choose, etc. And fwiw this purchase is a big deal to me for sentimental reasons and so I would like to be equipped with knowledge on getting the best out of the car, not all the reasons why I shouldn't get it in the first place, that ship sailed over a decade ago

Max
Old 01-30-2023, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 S 550
I'm located in the USA so these are just general observations:

1. Expand your search in terms of model year - a nice 2006 may be better than a troublesome 2008.
2. Don't rule out private owners - they may have the service records to show how the car has been maintained.
3. If you want to use a Mercedes Dealer you most likely won't find a 15 year old vehicle on their lot - they will wholesale it out if they get one. That doesn't mean that they don't get them traded in so I'd contact all of the MB dealers in Alberta & BC and let their pre-owned manager know what you are looking for. Keep checking back with them every few weeks to remind them.
4. Cast your net wide - consider the Northwest or Western US - more Mercedes are sold in California than any other State. I don't believe you'd have any trouble taking the vehicle from the US to Canada.
5. Try to find one with a service history and under 150,000 kilometers but keep in mind that you are looking at 15 year old vehicles so bushings and seals may have deteriorated with age and other things may have worn out
6. Find a good independent mechanic - you'll need one.

I own a 2011 S550 4-matic that I bought CPO in 2013 that's the best car that I've ever owned!!

Good luck on your search!
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:10 PM

Received 358 Likes on 235 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
Make sure you do a pre-purchase inspection so you know the status of the car's mechanical condition. I don't have any problem with an old car if I know the maintenance history. And if not, you need to have your Indy check all of the systems. Expect to need some things. Typical areas of concern: lower control arms, bushings and ball joints, coil packs and voltage transformer on the V12, radiator seam leaks, seat massagers, ABC hydraulic suspension leaks, and bent wheels (potholes are a constant cause of frustration). Remember these cars were owned by rich people who often maintained their cars very well. But be cautious because that same rich guy might not have spent money on the car later in its life (dump it on the next guy!). A well maintained S class is the finest motorcar in the World. A poorly maintained S class can be a real money pit.

My now five year experience with my 2007 S600 has been very good. I do spend the money needed to keep it in good shape.
The following 3 users liked this post by vettebk:
BenzV12 (02-01-2023), MBCO (02-02-2023), Senecat (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:28 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by chachd
I'm located in the USA so these are just general observations:

1. Expand your search in terms of model year - a nice 2006 may be better than a troublesome 2008.
2. Don't rule out private owners - they may have the service records to show how the car has been maintained.
3. If you want to use a Mercedes Dealer you most likely won't find a 15 year old vehicle on their lot - they will wholesale it out if they get one. That doesn't mean that they don't get them traded in so I'd contact all of the MB dealers in Alberta & BC and let their pre-owned manager know what you are looking for. Keep checking back with them every few weeks to remind them.
4. Cast your net wide - consider the Northwest or Western US - more Mercedes are sold in California than any other State. I don't believe you'd have any trouble taking the vehicle from the US to Canada.
5. Try to find one with a service history and under 150,000 kilometers but keep in mind that you are looking at 15 year old vehicles so bushings and seals may have deteriorated with age and other things may have worn out
6. Find a good independent mechanic - you'll need one.

I own a 2011 S550 4-matic that I bought CPO in 2013 that's the best car that I've ever owned!!

Good luck on your search!

Thanks for these! My main reason for trying to choose a newer one was because of tech. I want to be able to get good audio quality and compatibility when I try to replace the entertainment unit with something more modern. Does that not matter?
Secondary reason was because of the facelift + DRLs but I guess I could just replace headlamps if necessary.
150k mileage is a very useful number to have in mind too, and I will speak to my bank to find out how comfortable they are with private owners who have service records.
Good idea to reach out to MB dealers and let them know I'm on the lookout.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 529 Likes on 354 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Get the M278, lest you regret it later. You're already going for the tippy-top of the car food chain, may as well get the TT V8 with it. You can bump these things up to the 800hp range with software, if that's something you're into.
The following 2 users liked this post by Senecat:
BenzV12 (02-01-2023), MBCO (02-02-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
what engine is the 450 - you don't want hybrid - very costly and lots of issues
must have distronic plus (active cruise control) very last had steer assist too
go for trim upgrades and the colour you want - and the later lights (although LED side light might start to have fun - they play up in all the later Merc cars) - these light units are serious money
Old 01-30-2023, 12:42 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by vettebk
Make sure you do a pre-purchase inspection so you know the status of the car's mechanical condition. I don't have any problem with an old car if I know the maintenance history. And if not, you need to have your Indy check all of the systems. Expect to need some things. Typical areas of concern: lower control arms, bushings and ball joints, coil packs and voltage transformer on the V12, radiator seam leaks, seat massagers, ABC hydraulic suspension leaks, and bent wheels (potholes are a constant cause of frustration). Remember these cars were owned by rich people who often maintained their cars very well. But be cautious because that same rich guy might not have spent money on the car later in its life (dump it on the next guy!). A well maintained S class is the finest motorcar in the World. A poorly maintained S class can be a real money pit.

My now five year experience with my 2007 S600 has been very good. I do spend the money needed to keep it in good shape.
S600!! That might be above my current budget in terms of running costs and maintenance haha as much as I would enjoy it. It's gonna be just a lowly V8 for me, I think.
That list of things you have there is exactly the kind of thing I need, definitely gonna have an independent mech take a look before driving off into the sunset
Old 01-30-2023, 12:48 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by BOTUS
what engine is the 450 - you don't want hybrid - very costly and lots of issues
must have distronic plus (active cruise control) very last had steer assist too
go for trim upgrades and the colour you want - and the later lights (although LED side light might start to have fun - they play up in all the later Merc cars) - these light units are serious money
I did one of those free VIN checks and it alleges it is a 5.5L V12 (I actually thought it was a V8), but I can always check that when I inspect it. It isn't a final selection though, just the current leader.
I definitely dont want a hybrid, and not just because it would be a nightmare to maintain lol
I'll weigh the price increase vs trim options with what's available. Started searching, but I expect it will take a little while and some patience to find something perfect
Old 01-30-2023, 12:52 PM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by Senecat
Get the M278, lest you regret it later. You're already going for the tippy-top of the car food chain, may as well get the TT V8 with it. You can bump these things up to the 800hp range with software, if that's something you're into.
If I set a hard requirement for the M278, that would limit me to 2011+, it seems. Might be too harsh a criteria. But 800hp is....800hp. And I am most certainly into the idea of a 800hp limosine haha. Definitely something to think about deeply
Old 01-30-2023, 01:00 PM

Received 358 Likes on 235 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
I paid $25K for it almost five years ago plus I bought a $5K warranty (four years and 50K miles) and made claims against the warranty totaling about $12K over that period. I paid out of pocket about $5K over the period for stuff the warranty wouldn't cover.mostly true maintenance (oil, filters, ABC components, coil packs, VT). Personally, I think $35K for all driving costs except gasoline over five years is not bad at all for an S Class especially when I see the same car selling now for $20K. I don't plan to sell mine but I would consider trading up for an S65.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
last vin seems to be the best one I see... https://www.lastvin.com/

Oh missed one - REAR VIEW CAMERA I always thought it was a waste of space - but driving anything without it is just hard work
TV I always thought would be special - waste of time NEVER EVER use it - biggest waste of space ever fitted in a car in the history of driving
SIRUS RADIO
Real TMPS, "highline" gets all 4 wheels showing up on the cluster, saves bothering with a pump
ACTIVE CRUISE, use it every drive, often as the only way to open the throttle - why do I want to waste my time doing that - its a bit like an Auto box - sure I can do it but why do I want too
kuleke (01-30-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 01:28 PM

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Kuleke, Have you checked import requirements and fees for a US car going into Canada? Plenty of W221s available in US. Shipping isn't bad, depending on how far and how fast you need the car.
If you can share your budget and preferred equipment and colors forum members can keep an eye out for you. I check Autotempest.com because it searches several major sites like cars.com and autotrader, car gurus and Craigslist for owner/sellers.
Good luck with the search.
vettebk (02-02-2023)