S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Command/Radio not available no sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Command/Radio not available no sound?

Hey guys I’m getting this message on FM. no sound and it was on memory card when it froze. Only symptom is when it rained, the sound would come in and out. Then now it’s just frozen please help, maybe it’s a fuse, amplifier, radio? I’m clueless right now.

Old 11-27-2023, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
the Amp and the Radio tuner are one and the same component in the boot - behind the left rear wheel
it is part of the MOST fibre optic loop linking stuff in the boot to the comand in the dash - the Amp often gives up producing sound - but that message is unusual - that would be more like its off-line rather than just the faulty sound element they all give

the fantastic design of boot lid will allow copious amounts of water to drain straight on to the area directly above the Amp whenever its raining or water is on the boot lid and you open it - but with the left side boot trim in place it has a bucket around the boot hinge that is meant to stop it going straight on the circuit board of the Amp

however another great feature is the vents on the inner rear wings that allow copious amounts of flood water in to the area behind the rear wheel till you trash lots of modules on both sides of the car

The following users liked this post:
MB CHS (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 07:18 PM

S550
Wow that was a lot of info, thanks! I’ll be looking into the boot to see if there is any damage there but I’ve also heard of a fuse in the rear arm rest. Do you happen to know which fuse I’m looking for specifically?
Old 11-28-2023, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
no fuse - it will be hardware

what age is the car, the late 2009 facelift moved to a later system that dies much faster... NTG3.5 vs the 2006 to mid 2009 NTG3.0 - if you fold down the flap under the heater controls - if it looks like there is a slot to remove a 2.5" harddisk drive its the later one and it could be the drive as it scrambles how the whole comand system behaves
Old 11-28-2023, 10:41 AM

S550
2013 s550 I wish it threw a code but I’m using icarsoft mb2 scanner and I see nothing to go by. I’m dreading buying that loop wire and reaching modules in the trunk but idk what else to do.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
umm,

mileage the wrong side of 75k miles ?

if so as its a 2013, I wouldn't bother on the diagnosis - just get a new image of a working car of the same spec and put in a new harddrive - the drives are peanuts - and its is one screw and about 2 mins work to remove

you could pop it out and see if you can get it to behave out of the car - even if this isn't the issue you'll have sorted out next week's hell a bit early
Old 11-29-2023, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 732 Likes on 547 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Does radio work ? just not NAV?

I find when Sirius/XM sends out a free trial period for everyone without your consent my nav and HD go wonky and do not work.
Nav will say NO HD found and will lock up screen for 15 or so secs some times it comes back other times I have to reset by holding power button.

I rarely use nav since mostly local stuff but yesterday I tried due to interstate closure due to CHICKEN truck rolled over and well CHICKENS everywhere.

It has happened in the past and will probably happen again for my issue but worth checking...

DEalership cannever duplicate so I gave up as not worth it to me to pay them now to fix it.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 mercedes-benz e320 4matic
Originally Posted by BOTUS
the Amp and the Radio tuner are one and the same component in the boot - behind the left rear wheel
it is part of the MOST fibre optic loop linking stuff in the boot to the comand in the dash - the Amp often gives up producing sound - but that message is unusual - that would be more like its off-line rather than just the faulty sound element they all give

the fantastic design of boot lid will allow copious amounts of water to drain straight on to the area directly above the Amp whenever its raining or water is on the boot lid and you open it - but with the left side boot trim in place it has a bucket around the boot hinge that is meant to stop it going straight on the circuit board of the Amp

however another great feature is the vents on the inner rear wings that allow copious amounts of flood water in to the area behind the rear wheel till you trash lots of modules on both sides of the car
I nlknow this is old teleaid how to get that gone. I replaced the whole fiber system
Old 11-29-2023, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL500 & 2023 E300 Convertible
Hi Folks
I have a 2007 CL500.
Took it to my Mecho to have it serviced and to refill the AC and ever since I picked it up there has been no sound from all components of the COMMAND system.
The radio, the CD, the TV, and the Sat Nav all have zero sound. All I keep getting is a message saying "Device not available."
I tried resetting the command unit by holding down the EJECT button for 10-15 seconds but no joy.
Any ideas....or do I really have to take it to the dealer who will charge £200 just to say good morning to her?
Old 11-29-2023, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
filling the AC can't make the comand system go wrong - criminals swapping commonly failing parts for their broken junk when working on your car is all too common !!!

the amp dying is NORMAL on every 221 ever made - when on FM if it displays no numbers or text on the comand screen (for the stations) and there is NO sound anywhere at all this is always a dead Amp
"Device not available" might be a later error code on the facelift cars for the same fault... but other than you two, that's not a normal failure mode we hear about

re teleaid its a box of junk in the boot attached to the other side of the bracket that holds the Rear SAM - its behind the big flat carpeted trim at the back of the boot - spyware in its early form - seems odd you guy always have it - its rare in europe - yet the 'home of the brave' seemed to get it as standard... closer to scared to be on your own, rather than brave?