MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   S Class -- not just an enlarged C class (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/725101-s-class-not-just-enlarged-c-class.html)

as.thompson 06-07-2022 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SW20S (Post 8576595)
Honestly? I don't care what other people think I drive. I drive the car that I want to drive, and the S Class is an incredible car...

I agree with your position. I drive my S550 Coupe because I like driving a superior car not because of what others think about my choice of vehicles. Everyone is different however and their reasons are just as valid for them.

W205C43PFL 06-07-2022 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ThumpaS550 (Post 8576247)
The W222 I was not a fan of for the same reason, now the W223 is damn near the same thing with thin head/tail lights. So disappointing. I miss the days of the distinction, I have a W221 S550 and my sons mom has a W204 C class (same year models) and they could never be mistaken for the same car. Now, if I’m far enough behind a modern C/E, I might think it’s an S! If I got a W222/W223 I would have to do a custom wide body just for it to look how it’s supposed to.

The W222 is just going back to where it started when it comes to similarities in design, here is an example: https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5af1fbc329.jpg
Image originally found and shared by js_cls

W205C43PFL 06-07-2022 11:34 PM

To be fair, I understand the feeling that you pay flagship money you want to look different than the base model for example but it is cheaper for manufacturers to come up with a design to be used in their entire lineup, reason why many of MB models shared the same platform for example.
BMW is the only few that makes their flagship stand out at least for their all new 7-series but the design is rather um... interesting and I understand it is not for everyone. Time will tell if it too trickle down to the cheaper models.

Tom in Austin 06-08-2022 07:35 PM

For the price of a new E you can buy a decent used S, so I don't see the value proposition at all.

Who wants a tiny back seat, 4-cylinder engine and taxicab vinyl for $70K ?? I had a W204 before and when I shopped it against an E, they seemed to share the drivetrain, suspension, brakes and a lot of other parts. So again, very little logic in paying so much more for a slightly larger car with mostly the same mechanicals.

Mitch Alsup 06-10-2022 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL (Post 8576768)
To be fair, I understand the feeling that you pay flagship money you want to look different than the base model for example but it is cheaper for manufacturers to come up with a design to be used in their entire lineup, reason why many of MB models shared the same platform for example.

I don't necessarily want my S-class to look "that much different" than any other Merc (or even other brands)
This enables the option of buying the wife a C-class or E-class "to match mine"

But, in the end, exterior styling will converge to similar shapes die directly to aerodynamics (drag) and (mandated) fuel economy (as long as ICE last).
Now, similar shapes do not imply similar styling:: as witnessed by the stupid front grilles they* seem to be putting on everything these days.
(*) They is not MERC but many others.

W205C43PFL 06-11-2022 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 8578110)
I don't necessarily want my S-class to look "that much different" than any other Merc (or even other brands)

But, in the end, exterior styling will converge to similar shapes die directly to aerodynamics (drag) and (mandated) fuel economy (as long as ICE last).
Now, similar shapes do not imply similar styling:: as witnessed by the stupid front grilles they* seem to be putting on everything these days.
(*) They is not MERC but many others.

Thanks for your comment, definitely a preference thing and it is hard to have a one size fits all after all, you for example prefer similar looking vehicles but then there are others who actually prefers the opposite.

will_atl 06-11-2022 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup (Post 8578110)

Mine got a GLS, so that the S matched!

SW20S 06-11-2022 12:25 PM

At the end of the day, if you stop worrying about what other people think you'll be much happier. If someone confuses your S Class for some different Mercedes, how does that negatively impact your life?

Streamliner 06-11-2022 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SW20S (Post 8578506)
At the end of the day, if you stop worrying about what other people think you'll be much happier. If someone confuses your S Class for some different Mercedes, how does that negatively impact your life?

I actually prefer that my daily driver vehicle not be all that recognizable by the crazies out there. My silver S Class blends in a bit, which is just fine with me. :)

kafklatsch 06-12-2022 12:37 AM

223 - very bland body styling... cheap add-a-tablets - just not good looking for my eye...

222 - very luxurious styling interior and exterior. For me the standard of class for modern Mercedes. I find myself admiring them on the road and then saying... hey!!! im in one

221 - beautiful to many including myself, but i never really liked the flared fenders... they are still appealing on the street

220 - although owner of several i think it was An okay styled car that was much nicer in AMG clothing

140 - the introduction of modern S Class mercedes - a legend in all ways. Haters said it was too big, but it was peerless at the time.

Everything before - i liked every big body going back as far as my memory allows before the w140 but seeing a pre-140 today i just think "old"... but many great cars from those era's...

By the way, my opinion is perfect, and thusly cannot be questioned...

SW20S 06-12-2022 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 8578514)
I actually prefer that my daily driver vehicle not be all that recognizable by the crazies out there. My silver S Class blends in a bit, which is just fine with me. :)

Same, in fact I have had to adjust to the S Class being flashier than what I was accustomed to driving.

Originally Posted by kafklatsch (Post 8578762)
223 - very bland body styling... cheap add-a-tablets - just not good looking for my eye...

They have grown on me a LOT.

as.thompson 06-12-2022 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by kafklatsch (Post 8578762)
By the way, my opinion is perfect, and thusly cannot be questioned...

LOL! :)

Tom in Austin 06-12-2022 02:36 PM

Who was it who said, "in matters of taste there is no dispute"?

Saw a stunning W221 S63 the other day, what a beautiful car!

And a new BMW 740i coming home just now, which wasn't bad looking either.

Streamliner 06-12-2022 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tom in Austin (Post 8579036)
Who was it who said, "in matters of taste there is no dispute"?

Saw a stunning W221 S63 the other day, what a beautiful car!

And a new BMW 740i coming home just now, which wasn't bad looking either.

I don’t know if anyone here has lambasted the current 7 Series exterior design more than I have. But, I came to realize that what I truly hated is their M-Sport Pkg. For the 7’s. The regular front end is actually not bad and is growing on me.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...922762db6.jpeg

SW20S 06-12-2022 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 8579095)
I don’t know if anyone here has lambasted the current 7 Series exterior design more than I have. But, I came to realize that what I truly hated is their M-Sport Pkg. For the 7’s. The regular front end is actually not bad and is growing on me.

Yeah thats the trim 7 Series I was considering getting.

Short Track 06-16-2022 08:39 AM

I have the GLB SUV as a loaner. It's like driving a Toyota Camry. My wife says " it's NOT a Mercedes !!! "
The S class is an engineered machine.

SW20S 06-16-2022 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Short Track (Post 8581099)
I have the GLB SUV as a loaner. It's like driving a Toyota Camry. My wife says " it's NOT a Mercedes !!! "
The S class is an engineered machine.

They are TERRIBLE. GLB and GLA. I actually refuse them as loaners.