MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221-52/)
-   -   745Li to S63 (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221/204019-745li-s63.html)

Bsmooth65 08-01-2007 05:03 PM

745Li to S63

Hello, this is my first post but have been reading and enjoying the posts for a while. I have an S63 on order which should arrive in a couple weeks and am wondering if any 63 owners have switched over from a 745Li. I am making the switch and am a little nervous because I have never driven an S63 and don't really know what to expect. I have always been a BMW guy, but without them having an M7 in the lineup feel a move to Merc is needed. I am confident that I am making the right selection, so if anyone else made this jump I would love to hear your comments. Thanks

CarolinaAMG 08-01-2007 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bsmooth65 (Post 2349502)
Hello, this is my first post but have been reading and enjoying the posts for a while. I have an S63 on order which should arrive in a couple weeks and am wondering if any 63 owners have switched over from a 745Li. I am making the switch and am a little nervous because I have never driven an S63 and don't really know what to expect. I have always been a BMW guy, but without them having an M7 in the lineup feel a move to Merc is needed. I am confident that I am making the right selection, so if anyone else made this jump I would love to hear your comments. Thanks

Welcome...I'm new too and didn't switch from BMW, but if you like BMW's why didn't you think about the Alpina B7? I'm an AMG guy, but that car would be on my list if I was shopping for a car like the S63 or S55. Just a thought. Of course, you didn't go wrong with the S63 either. Happy driving.:zoom:

MKB-C32 08-01-2007 06:57 PM

First of all welcome to this board and MB customer.
You did a good choice if you are looking for a performance and luxury, the S63 is a good car it is totally different than the old 220 now the luxury is noticeable and the power is under your feet at any time.

Bsmooth65 08-01-2007 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinaAMG (Post 2349594)
Welcome...I'm new too and didn't switch from BMW, but if you like BMW's why didn't you think about the Alpina B7? I'm an AMG guy, but that car would be on my list if I was shopping for a car like the S63 or S55. Just a thought. Of course, you didn't go wrong with the S63 either. Happy driving.:zoom:

The reason why I didn't go with the B7 was because they are changing the 7series soon, so wouldn't be able to get one with the new body until well into 2009.

LowTech 08-01-2007 10:29 PM

Have more than a little experience w/ both the 7-series and the S class. Made the switch back because I prefer naturally aspirated engines. The S63 certainly fit the bill.

I switched away from the S (non-AMG) because of the feel/performance of the 745 and 750. But the S63 was an irresistable combination. I never seriously considered the standard S. If your taste in performance/handling and platform matches mine, then you'll likely be well pleased with your choice!

I agree that BMW is missing the boat without an M offering for the 7 series. For some reason, the Alpina was just not what I was looking for. Moreover, I liked the new S Styling and was ready for a change. Am glad I switched back.

If, in the future, Alpina leapfrogs or BMW offers an M7, well... That would be an interesting dilemma!

Bsmooth65 08-02-2007 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by LowTech (Post 2350015)
Have more than a little experience w/ both the 7-series and the S class. Made the switch back because I prefer naturally aspirated engines. The S63 certainly fit the bill.

I switched away from the S (non-AMG) because of the feel/performance of the 745 and 750. But the S63 was an irresistable combination. I never seriously considered the standard S. If your taste in performance/handling and platform matches mine, then you'll likely be well pleased with your choice!

I agree that BMW is missing the boat without an M offering for the 7 series. For some reason, the Alpina was just not what I was looking for. Moreover, I liked the new S Styling and was ready for a change. Am glad I switched back.

If, in the future, Alpina leapfrogs or BMW offers an M7, well... That would be an interesting dilemma!

Thanks for taking the time. I am very excited for my 63, just got word the build is complete and waiting to hit the water.

Eddie Knopp 08-02-2007 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bsmooth65 (Post 2350172)
Thanks for taking the time. I am very excited for my 63, just got word the build is complete and waiting to hit the water.

Welcome - You won't regret it at all. If you search the forums you'll fine the link for tracking the car on the water - you just need your VIN

ATXS55 08-02-2007 01:34 PM

Welcome to Benz

BMW's are nice, I had 4, but my last three cars have been an ML for the now ex, and two S classes for me. Never done that before, bought two of the same cars in a row I mean. Don't think I'll ever not have at least one S in the garage.

As you know, BMW doesn't have an M7 witch puts the Benzo in a class by itself. Audi may offer a sport flagship but I don't know much about them, besides, they're overpriced and get old quickly. Back to the Benz, simple sophistocation. What I mean is while the BMW has tons of bells and electronic miracle gadgets, operating them without memorizing the entire manual is a challenge. With the Benz you'll spend the next year tripping over the same things the beamer does and more. And it does it with 1/20th of the stalks, buttons, or menus. As well, some of your Benz owning friends will welcome you by sharing some cool feature they they tripped over.

While I do love my 5.4 at 355 hp, I do aspire to the 6.3. Have fun and don't hesitate to school a muscle car or two.

LowTech 08-02-2007 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ATXS55 (Post 2350905)
As you know, BMW doesn't have an M7 witch puts the Benzo in a class by itself.

While I agree w/ ATXS55 regarding the handling/performance, I never found the i-Drive at all hard to use. In fact, my observation is that the 7 series has less buttons, but requires delving a bit deeper into i-drive menus...

Originally Posted by Bsmooth65 (Post 2350172)

BSmooth65, I'm sure you will like it. When the 63 comes in, post back and compare notes vis-a-vis the 7 series.

norb 08-02-2007 06:50 PM

I've had BMW's and I loved how they drove and the solidness of their build, but with the new styling they have, I'm just going to keep getting MB's because the BMW's are just too ugly. WTF happened to them? Have you seen the new 1 Series? Looks like someone stepped on it and it buckled!

I hate BMWs 08-31-2007 08:31 PM

Sick of my BMW 750

I'm planning to switch to the S63 in Feb, so I'm really curious to hear about your preference/impressions when you get the new Merc - please let me know - thanks.

The BMW drives well, but there's always so many problems. Drives me mad. Maybe I got a lemon, don't know. I'm also well over the bland styling. Even my father thinks it's boring! Nice. And it looks like the next iteration for 2008 is no better.

Marty

jbondox 08-31-2007 09:49 PM

745 li even to a S63 is a big step, more like 760li to a 63. infact 745 to s550 is quite a step up... The S63 is probably my favorite sedan on the planet, over the rolls, bentleys.... well I lied I want to say tied for the maybach 57s

Bsmooth65 08-31-2007 09:55 PM

picked up my s63 today...

I have been waiting for what seems like forever and my s63 has finally arrived. I am so glad I made the switch from my 745, my initial impressions of the 63 are it is way nicer. I havent driven it much just home from the dealership. This should be a good weekend.

kaze81 09-01-2007 12:26 PM

Congrats on the new S63. Any plan on MOD it??

Have a nice labor day weekend and you will enjoy the car for sure :y

I hate BMWs 09-01-2007 02:57 PM

BSmooth - Congrats on the new S63. How long did you wait? I'm curious because I'd like to know how long in advance to place an order. My BMW lease is up in Feb.

Don't get too crazy over the weekend with all the drunken idiots on the roads.

Marty

Bsmooth65 09-03-2007 01:54 AM

I ordered it in like may and picked it up on august 31.
only mods tint, smoked tailights, built in radar detector for now.

AdamG@NorCal 09-03-2007 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bsmooth65 (Post 2394188)
I ordered it in like may and picked it up on august 31.
only mods tint, smoked tailights, built in radar detector for now.

Congrats, any pics? :)

Bsmooth65 09-03-2007 02:32 AM

posted a few on other thread.