S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car
S55 Question

Hi Everybody - I'm new to this forum, but I figured it is one of the only places I can get an sensible answer from a W220 community. This may be an extremely stupid question for some, but I was just seeking an answer. Alright, so what I was thinking is, why can't a person buy an extremely cheap, even rotten if you want to call it, 2001-2002 S55 AMG with you name it, 100...150K miles on it and buy a fidelity platinum warranty (that I heard covers absolutely everything)? Suppose you manage to get the car for around 6-7K after haggling (for example this POS: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1) and the warranty can't be more than suppose 3K, hell even 5-6-7K is fine if it covers everything. But in the end, don't you have an extremely cheap S55 AMG, for no more than around 12K that will be running perfectly fine with perfect parts that have been replaced and all of the repair fees are apparently covered by warranty? I mean, you have heard that a cheap benz is the most expensive - but if you buy warranty coverage - you are dumping all of those repair costs, hell even $15K, on the warranty company, and they have no choice but to pay for all of it cause that is what they agreed to...isn't it a win win situation? This might seem like a very naive, stupid question to many of you on here, but I would really appreciate if someone could explain the dynamics and cons of doing something like this? Why would you hunt for a well-cared after car if such an option is available, + in a few months, after almost every part has finally failed, all the parts will be replaced for almost free, and they are good as new?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 AM

'10 C300
Haven't directly dealt with non mercedes warranty, but from what I know most warranties will not cover cars beyond 100k miles and at that age.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
From what I understand the warranty company require and independent assurance that the vehicle to be insured is in proper operating condition before extending the warranty. The company wouldn't last very long if they didn't insist on such an arrangement as you so well point out.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
I think the basic pain in the a$$ that is involved with any car repairs might turn you off to this idea...if your car is constantly in the shop (even though you may not be paying for it) it is still a major headache. I have taken the cheap route too many times in the past (with 300SEL 6.3 cars) and always had wished in hindsight that I had purcased a car that didnt need everything fixed on it....I saved and saved and even sold about 4 of my projects to get my S55..and I even waited until i got the colors that i wanted..it is worth the wait and money to get a car that you can enjoy from the start...
My 2 cents.
Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mbez
Hi Everybody - I'm new to this forum, but I figured it is one of the only places I can get an sensible answer from a W220 community. This may be an extremely stupid question for some, but I was just seeking an answer. Alright, so what I was thinking is, why can't a person buy an extremely cheap, even rotten if you want to call it, 2001-2002 S55 AMG with you name it, 100...150K miles on it and buy a fidelity platinum warranty (that I heard covers absolutely everything)? Suppose you manage to get the car for around 6-7K after haggling (for example this POS: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1) and the warranty can't be more than suppose 3K, hell even 5-6-7K is fine if it covers everything. But in the end, don't you have an extremely cheap S55 AMG, for no more than around 12K that will be running perfectly fine with perfect parts that have been replaced and all of the repair fees are apparently covered by warranty? I mean, you have heard that a cheap benz is the most expensive - but if you buy warranty coverage - you are dumping all of those repair costs, hell even $15K, on the warranty company, and they have no choice but to pay for all of it cause that is what they agreed to...isn't it a win win situation? This might seem like a very naive, stupid question to many of you on here, but I would really appreciate if someone could explain the dynamics and cons of doing something like this? Why would you hunt for a well-cared after car if such an option is available, + in a few months, after almost every part has finally failed, all the parts will be replaced for almost free, and they are good as new?

Well I've kind of taken the same path as your thinking but a warranty is out of the question with high mileage cars like this.

I just had my third child 5 months ago (kids=5months, 2 and 4 yrs old). I have an M5 but absolutely can't fit three car seats in it. I wanted a big car with room but didn't want to buy a boat that anchored itself to the road. I'm a sports car lover and refused to buy anything I'd get utterly bored with so I decided to get an 04 S55 AMG. Well, the wife put me on a budget because we really don't need it. No 50-70K 4th car, she said. So, I had the option of forking over 20-22G for a decent mileage 04-05 without any extra upgrades and maybe a warranty for another 4-5K or do what I ultimately did, which was...go all out and get a high mileage rocket, get it cheap and put some tasteful mods on it so I can have my cake and eat it too.

I hit the jackpot with a star car with an excellent history (carfax and autocheck) w/160+K from a sports car guy (private seller) that had ALREADY added an over pulley, ECU, PP and highflow cats. The car was having some small issue I felt needed to be fixed before they became big and cost me an arm and a leg. So, right now, I'm in the process of finishing up the ABC pump and struts, engine mount, and bushing issues which will run me about 5.5 grand. Brakes are brand new and the car is in amazing running condition. All together I have a 570+HP 600+lb-ft car that has mostly new parts for under 15 grand after all is said and done. Did I mention it came with a fresh set of ZR rated Michelin Pilot sports...nice bonus.

The car is an absolute beast and although my M5 would murder it on the track it has no chance to keep up with her in real road highway driving. It's a torque monster that I can also take 5 (3 little ones) for extended journeys in luxury and style...without breaking the bank.

That's what I call a bargain!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 AM
JohnsonSmith

I have taken the cheap route too many times in the past (with 300SEL 6.3 cars) and always had wished in hindsight that I had purcased a car that didnt need everything fixed on it....
Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Every company requires an inspection so this will not work