MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221-52/)
-   -   Purchasing an 11 S63 (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221/552313-purchasing-11-s63.html)

triniexr 08-11-2014 09:00 AM

Purchasing an 11 S63

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. I am taking possession of a 2011 Mercedes S63 AMG. This will be my first Mercedes that I've purchased, I've only owned strictly Japanese. I did a search but did not see much about the car.

In your opinion, what do you think about the S63 and are there any known issues that I should be aware of before taking the car?

orys 08-11-2014 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by triniexr (Post 6132069)
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. I am taking possession of a 2011 Mercedes S63 AMG. This will be my first Mercedes that I've purchased, I've only owned strictly Japanese. I did a search but did not see much about the car.

In your opinion, what do you think about the S63 and are there any known issues that I should be aware of before taking the car?

I am about to purchase one myself (probably CL 63, 2011). I can just tell you what many here say repeatedly - alway be covered by a good warranty. You probably still have the remainder for the 4yr/50k MB warranty but I would strongly advise you to purchase an aftermarket warranty for at least 3 years. Repairs on these cars are astronomical.

triniexr 08-11-2014 12:35 PM

I took out an extra 3 year 80k warranty. I didn't want to take any chances with a vehicle like this. I am getting out of a Lexus LS460L with the executive package. It was a great car.

triniexr 08-13-2014 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up the car last night. Only 2 issues are when the roof is open there is a black piece that pops up.. I think its going a little too high cause the wind noise is ridiculous. I look into this one myself.

Second issue I am very concerned about. I feel a slight hesitation when accelerating slowly from a complete stop. I did a search on here and one post from an E63 said that the dealer reprogrammed the torque converter. I may try this and see what happens.

Here she is!

just1time 08-14-2014 05:00 AM

nice car...congrats

triniexr 08-14-2014 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by just1time (Post 6135346)
nice car...congrats

Thanks! I'm still trying to get adjusted to it. A few things kind of get to me....

Why doesn't it have a heated steering wheel???

Why do I have to hold the seat memory button in order for the seat to return to my position??????

Why isn't there a charging port in the arm rest? Its all the way in the glove box!

I don't like when you spray the windshield its a stream rather than a distributed spray!

jbattan 08-14-2014 10:41 AM

My 2011 S63 has a heated steering wheel.

Holding down the seat memory button is a stupid MB "feature".

Your washer spray nozzles are probably a little clogged; they should spray not stream.

I too don't like how the car herks and jerks when accelerating. My dealer said I could bring it in for a lockup torque converter swap out with the one from the S65, which can handle the power.

triniexr 08-14-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jbattan (Post 6135528)
My 2011 S63 has a heated steering wheel.

Holding down the seat memory button is a stupid MB "feature".

Your washer spray nozzles are probably a little clogged; they should spray not stream.

I too don't like how the car herks and jerks when accelerating. My dealer said I could bring it in for a lockup torque converter swap out with the one from the S65, which can handle the power.

I looked at them and they aren't clogged... each side puts 2 streams on the windshield.

I looked on the internet and it says the heated steering wheel switch is on the lever to move the wheel.. mine doesn't have it.:nix:

I put it in sport mode yesterday, what a difference from the ECO mode. I did not feel the hesitation at all.

jbattan 08-15-2014 02:11 PM

Oh, two more things:

The heated steering wheel only heats the leather portion, not the wood portion, so only about 30% of the steering wheel, and you have to keep your hands on 9 and 3 to feel the heat.

The moonroof does indeed make a ton of buffering noise when open, so I only use it around town, or I hold down the raised black bar with my hand. Poor design IMHO.

triniexr 08-15-2014 02:39 PM

Hmmmm... my steering wheel doesn't have wood... it has leather and a suede like feel on the left and right of the wheel.

jbattan 08-15-2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by triniexr (Post 6137099)
Hmmmm... my steering wheel doesn't have wood... it has leather and a suede like feel on the left and right of the wheel.

Then you don't have the wood/leather steering wheel option; you have the sport steering wheel.
I don't know if that's 100% heated, but it probably is, assuming you have that option.

binder35 08-16-2014 11:20 AM

Sounds like we're on the same path

Hello, new to the forum. I too traded in an LS460L for a 2011 S63 with 55K miles about a month ago. I have no warranty and the car is at Renntech right now getting the ECU flash, big turbos and the lowering kit. I drive 120 miles a day to and from work. I should be able to find the weakness for you.