S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

2009 S63 AMG Front Brake Rotors - OEM Alternative

Old 03-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
So how much of a drop in 0-60 time can you expect saving 38 pounds?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W221 S65, W140 S600, W210 E430, W126 300SD
You should read the Car & Driver test they did of the Ford Mustang tested with and without the GT350R's carbon fiber wheels installed. They made a very significant difference. Rotating weight is a huge deal and every little bit helps...plus the RB discs are cheaper than OEM!
The following users liked this post:
JJKCMO (02-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63
Lightbulb S63 Rotors

I have red and heard your CRY. I too spent a couple weeks investigating and looking into this ridiculous priced matter. I also have an w221 S63 with scraped out rotors. I found out that if I can install base model (s550) rotors and be done with it since their only $108 each vs $700-900 each. But I was told by my the dealer mechanic that the hub does not fit the base rotors. So I do not have any more options but to buy fronts for $643 @ mbwholesalepartsonline.com and rears @ $651 at partsgeek.com.
If anyone here works on these cars or wants to save money on parts for these beats and has a tip on cheaper parts please share...

Last edited by BenzS63; 04-03-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
On the 211 and 219 AMG forums there is a company called Coleman that will make them custom for around 700 a pair.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Originally Posted by jenz

Unsprung weight is a big deal
Indeed. People tend to mis-understand or mix up between "Sprung" and "Unsprung" weight, here is a good illustration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

In a ground vehicle with a suspension, the unsprung mass (or the unsprung weight) is the mass of the suspension, wheels or tracks (as applicable), and other components directly connected to them, rather than supported by the suspension (the mass of the body and other components supported by the suspension is the sprung mass). Unsprung mass includes the mass of components such as the wheel axles, wheel bearings, wheel hubs, tires, and a portion of the weight of driveshafts, springs, shock absorbers, and suspension links. If the vehicle's brakes are mounted outboard (i.e., within the wheel), their mass (weight) is also considered part of the unsprung mass. Effects of unsprung mass...

...... High unsprung mass also exacerbates wheel control issues under hard acceleration or braking. If the vehicle does not have adequate wheel location in the vertical plane (such as a rear-wheel drive car with Hotchkiss drive, a live axle supported by simple leaf springs), vertical forces exerted by acceleration or hard braking combined with high unsprung mass can lead to severe wheel hop, compromising traction and steering control. ...
Old 05-15-2018, 03:40 PM

2015 Mercedes S63 AMG
Need help on pads

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
The only and best OE replacement/upgrade for S63/S65 in the market.
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R.../mb-irk-04.htm

Can you imagine how your S63/65 can improve in performance, handling, and save the wear in pad and tire etc., after shaving some 38 lbs total un-sprung weight.

RacingBrake. Please help. I have a 2015 Mercedes S63 AMG. I need rotors for all tires and pads. On website I see MB-IRK-04 for rotors and MB-IRK-12 for rotors and front pads. Please advise on rear brake pads. Thank you in advance.

Micah

RB is the only brake company offers a complete rotor package (front and rear) in two piece construction which can save you 10% over purchase them separately.

And if you love your S and prepare to keep it for long like most S owners, future disc replacement will be cheaper than most aftermarket one piece rotors.

Save weight, save money, save replacement headaches are some of the advantage other MB owners found from RB brakes - The most sensible alternative to OE brake replacement.

Parts are in stock for immediate shipment.
RacingBrake. Please help. I have a 2015 Mercedes S63 AMG. I need rotors and pads on all 4. I have found the rotors MB-IRK-04 but I am having a difficult time finding pads. Thank you in advance.

Micah
Old 05-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Listing of this front and rear brake rotor kit is updated with links for optional purchase of front and rear pads (best street pad with XT910 compound).
https://www.racingbrake.com/ProductD...Code=MB-IRK-04

Brake pads are not included but can be purchased here:
Mbuck93 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 PM

2006 Ferrari 612 2007 S65 RENNtech Stage 2
Bump
Old 08-05-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 S63 AMG
Smile Possible Resolved - Potentially....

Folks,

To resurrect this thread from last year - an update:

I just placed an order for a 4 disc and pad kit from eLine for my 2009 W221 S63AMG for......$247.97 - shipping included. I was researching brake fluid the other day and Amazon listed this R1 Concepts kit as being compatible:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Full Kit eLine Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors & Ceramic Brake Pads CEC.63177.02

• Package Includes 4 Brake Rotors And 8 Ceramic Brake Pads
  • Precision Drilled Holes For Maximum Heat Dissipation
  • Countersunk To Reduce Heat Stress And Cracks
  • Diamond Slotted To Increase Brake Pads Bite
  • Diamond Slots Acts As A Rotor Wear Indicator

I had never hear of this brand so did some research and was pleasantly surprised to learn they seem to put out a solid product (no market leader, but hey - if they're safe and offer enough or more braking performance than I need (my car is a ~22K miles/yr highway commuter) i'll be a VERY happy camper at this price point!!)

Now for my reservations (and the reason I titled this post as *Potentially* solved)......

1. Lack of detail specifications:

The Amazon listing showed very few details about the specs of the brakes, most notably dimensions. However, an Ebay search for the same product DOES show the rotor diameter and thickness dimensions and they seem to be consistent with what should be sized for this car - AND 2008 - 2014 S65's and CL63's)

R1 Concept's (manufacturer) Ebay site:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Kit-eL...item56b0612ee6

Item specifics (per Ebay listing):

Condition: New Brand:
R1 Concepts Eline Series
Front Rotor Size (mm): 390
Pad Material: Ceramic Low Dust
Rear Rotor Size (mm): 365
Manufacturer Part Number:
CEC.63177.02
Vented Or Solid Front Rotor: Vented
Brake Disc Style: Drilled & Slotted
Vented Or Solid Rear Rotor: Vented
Fitment Type: Direct Replacement
Lug/Bolt Circle: 5x112
Placement on Vehicle: Front, Rear, Left, Right
Front Rotor Thickness (mm): 35.9
Warranty: 1 Year
Brake Pad Compound: Ceramic Low Dust
Rear Rotor Thickness (mm): 26
Warranty Length: 1 Year Warranty

2. Country of manufacture

The R1 website (their actual website - not their Ebay store) lists the rotors as "Machined in the US" but does not state where they are cast. I'm not surprised one bit, not fazed, that they're not 100% US made (not for this price) and am comforted to note that a) reviews made by long time users of the eLine series rotors have consistently reported no issues of casting cracks, and b) assuming you've got a decent casting, the really hard part is in the (US based) machining. I wrote to R1 Concepts directly to ask where their castings are done - I'll post an update when they respond.

3. R1 Concepts website

On the actual R1 concepts website they state that a rotor package for this vehicle is NOT available at this time. Strange. I realize that they just may not have updated their site, and truly HOPE this is the case, but if it is, then their rookie oversight I guess (both from a business marketing perspective and for the confusion it is causing at least one customer...)

https://www.r1concepts.com/

4. Pad count

The ad states "8 ceramic pads" - but it's supposed to be complete front and rear kit. These cars have 8 pads on the front alone (and I think 4 on the rear). I'll be sure to reach out to them if their missing any - and will report what actually arrives in the kit (ordered yesterday - should be here mid month)

My first hope is that this kit is legitimately made for my car, obviously. If it is, and it's not a marketing error I intend to perform a detailed comparison of the stock OEM rotors and these once they arrive. I have calipers and will use them where I can, and a rule/measuring tape where I can't. I will inspect the discs thoroughly for cracks and visual defects.

Fingers crossed these are legit because if they are, they represent an INCREDIBLE cost saving over ANYTHING else out there - and trust me, I have looked and looked.

If anyone has anything else to add to this discussion or has advice on how I can better conduct an inspection of the rotors i'm all ears. Otherwise I will post my findings as soon as I can, but some time this month for sure.

compaddict (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
I bought their rear rotors for my S600 because nobody else had drilled ones to match the oem fronts but went with the premium Geomet line and they were nice.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Thank you very much!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by sbainb
Folks,

To resurrect this thread from last year - an update:

I just placed an order for a 4 disc and pad kit from eLine for my 2009 W221 S63AMG for......$247.97 - shipping included. I was researching brake fluid the other day and Amazon listed this R1 Concepts kit as being compatible:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Full Kit eLine Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors & Ceramic Brake Pads CEC.63177.02

• Package Includes 4 Brake Rotors And 8 Ceramic Brake Pads
  • Precision Drilled Holes For Maximum Heat Dissipation
  • Countersunk To Reduce Heat Stress And Cracks
  • Diamond Slotted To Increase Brake Pads Bite
  • Diamond Slots Acts As A Rotor Wear Indicator

I had never hear of this brand so did some research and was pleasantly surprised to learn they seem to put out a solid product (no market leader, but hey - if they're safe and offer enough or more braking performance than I need (my car is a ~22K miles/yr highway commuter) i'll be a VERY happy camper at this price point!!)

Now for my reservations (and the reason I titled this post as *Potentially* solved)......

1. Lack of detail specifications:

The Amazon listing showed very few details about the specs of the brakes, most notably dimensions. However, an Ebay search for the same product DOES show the rotor diameter and thickness dimensions and they seem to be consistent with what should be sized for this car - AND 2008 - 2014 S65's and CL63's)

R1 Concept's (manufacturer) Ebay site:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Kit-eL...item56b0612ee6

Item specifics (per Ebay listing):

Condition: New Brand:
R1 Concepts Eline Series
Front Rotor Size (mm): 390
Pad Material: Ceramic Low Dust
Rear Rotor Size (mm): 365
Manufacturer Part Number:
CEC.63177.02
Vented Or Solid Front Rotor: Vented
Brake Disc Style: Drilled & Slotted
Vented Or Solid Rear Rotor: Vented
Fitment Type: Direct Replacement
Lug/Bolt Circle: 5x112
Placement on Vehicle: Front, Rear, Left, Right
Front Rotor Thickness (mm): 35.9
Warranty: 1 Year
Brake Pad Compound: Ceramic Low Dust
Rear Rotor Thickness (mm): 26
Warranty Length: 1 Year Warranty

2. Country of manufacture

The R1 website (their actual website - not their Ebay store) lists the rotors as "Machined in the US" but does not state where they are cast. I'm not surprised one bit, not fazed, that they're not 100% US made (not for this price) and am comforted to note that a) reviews made by long time users of the eLine series rotors have consistently reported no issues of casting cracks, and b) assuming you've got a decent casting, the really hard part is in the (US based) machining. I wrote to R1 Concepts directly to ask where their castings are done - I'll post an update when they respond.

3. R1 Concepts website

On the actual R1 concepts website they state that a rotor package for this vehicle is NOT available at this time. Strange. I realize that they just may not have updated their site, and truly HOPE this is the case, but if it is, then their rookie oversight I guess (both from a business marketing perspective and for the confusion it is causing at least one customer...)

https://www.r1concepts.com/

4. Pad count

The ad states "8 ceramic pads" - but it's supposed to be complete front and rear kit. These cars have 8 pads on the front alone (and I think 4 on the rear). I'll be sure to reach out to them if their missing any - and will report what actually arrives in the kit (ordered yesterday - should be here mid month)

My first hope is that this kit is legitimately made for my car, obviously. If it is, and it's not a marketing error I intend to perform a detailed comparison of the stock OEM rotors and these once they arrive. I have calipers and will use them where I can, and a rule/measuring tape where I can't. I will inspect the discs thoroughly for cracks and visual defects.

Fingers crossed these are legit because if they are, they represent an INCREDIBLE cost saving over ANYTHING else out there - and trust me, I have looked and looked.

If anyone has anything else to add to this discussion or has advice on how I can better conduct an inspection of the rotors i'm all ears. Otherwise I will post my findings as soon as I can, but some time this month for sure.
Would like to mention that we are also a Vendor here on MBworld! I did check our inventory and it does look like we do have our E-line Series rotors available for your 09' S63 AMG. Keep in mind that your factory rotors do have an aluminum hat, these E-lines do not have an aluminum hat and is a full cast iron. Because of this, these rotors will be a bit heavier than your OEM rotors. Our products are designed and engineered in-house in Cerritos, CA. We maintain and and supervise strict standards in manufacturing processes in Asia. Through R&D, we engineer our own castings and manufacturing technologies. We machine the rotors both overseas and here in house in CA as well.
sbainb (08-14-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM

2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Thanks Kevin!
r1concepts (08-06-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:49 PM

w221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by r1concepts
Would like to mention that we are also a Vendor here on MBworld! I did check our inventory and it does look like we do have our E-line Series rotors available for your 09' S63 AMG. Keep in mind that your factory rotors do have an aluminum hat, these E-lines do not have an aluminum hat and is a full cast iron. Because of this, these rotors will be a bit heavier than your OEM rotors. Our products are designed and engineered in-house in Cerritos, CA. We maintain and and supervise strict standards in manufacturing processes in Asia. Through R&D, we engineer our own castings and manufacturing technologies. We machine the rotors both overseas and here in house in CA as well.
Hello, do you guys still have the rotors in stock? If not when will you have em again?

(Keeping the thread alive)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:51 PM

w221 S65 AMG
Fellow Members,

I am looking to change-out the front rotors and pads on my ride in the next 3-6 months and just can't get past the jaw dropping price of these discs. I've shopped all the usual outlets for non-OEM units but am falling short. The cheapest i've found are $650 each (bargain compared to $1150 for MB units).

Of interest is that you can pick up rear non-OEM (Bosch) for ~$125 each (O'Reillys carry another brand in stock for $89). I can't believe someone hasn't began cranking these out in volume. I understand that they're big, but steel is cheap and easy to work, so as long as they're cast and turned well (and most modern parts are as the lathe's are all CNCs) there really is nothing in the material nor labor economics to justify the insane price.

Has anyone found a lead on cheaper units? Or has anyone found and tried cheaper units and had a positive/negative experience?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon

Its been a while since you made this thread but how did the search for the rotors go for you, as im in the same situation now 😭😭
Old 09-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
Originally Posted by Venom65
Its been a while since you made this thread but how did the search for the rotors go for you, as im in the same situation now 😭😭
PM sent!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
s63
Would the s600 rotors work

Fellow Members,

I am looking to change-out the front rotors and pads on my ride in the next 3-6 months and just can't get past the jaw dropping price of these discs. I've shopped all the usual outlets for non-OEM units but am falling short. The cheapest i've found are $650 each (bargain compared to $1150 for MB units).

Of interest is that you can pick up rear non-OEM (Bosch) for ~$125 each (O'Reillys carry another brand in stock for $89). I can't believe someone hasn't began cranking these out in volume. I understand that they're big, but steel is cheap and easy to work, so as long as they're cast and turned well (and most modern parts are as the lathe's are all CNCs) there really is nothing in the material nor labor economics to justify the insane price.

Has anyone found a lead on cheaper units? Or has anyone found and tried cheaper units and had a positive/negative experience?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

i would be intersted to know if the rotors from the 550 or the 600 would work as a suitable replacement 800 per rotor is a bit obsessive there has to be a better option by now.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
Wanted to update you all that we now have the front rotors available in the 2-piece option with the aluminum hat in dimpled only just like OEM!

Here's a link to the thread I just posted: https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-vendo...ml#post7823506

Todor Delchev (03-01-2020)
Old 08-08-2019, 04:48 PM

2016 S63, 2013 SL63
2011 S63 unavailable?
Vince
Old 08-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
Originally Posted by compaddict
2011 S63 unavailable?
Vince
These front rotors will fit on an 08'-13' S63 AMG. We just don't have the rears rotors available at the moment.