S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

W220 S65 for under $4k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2006 W220 S65 AMG
W220 S65 for under $4k?

Came across this video this morning. Anyone here bought this car?

https://youtu.be/N2vO306Vh1w

Would like to know how much was spent on repairs. Seems PSE system obviously failed. If that was it in terms of electrical, the new owner got a helluva deal!

P.S. just watched the video in its entirety, and apart from PSE, headunit also has a problem including door window switches. Something amiss with ABC as well.

Last edited by amstel78; 08-11-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM

1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by amstel78
Came across this video this morning. Anyone here bought this car?

https://youtu.be/N2vO306Vh1w

Would like to know how much was spent on repairs. Seems PSE system obviously failed. If that was it in terms of electrical, the new owner got a helluva deal!

P.S. just watched the video in its entirety, and apart from PSE, headunit also has a problem including door window switches. Something amiss with ABC as well.
Wow! Could be a great deal but at that price it makes me wonder if the owner knew something big was bad.. do the turbos whistle like that when cold normally? That didn't seem right to me.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 PM

2006 W220 S65 AMG
Previous owner might have gotten a quote from MB on how much it was going to cost to fix the ABC system and other electrical issues, and probably had a minor heart attack at the numbers. Figured it was easier to dump the car then to continue dealing with it.

Still, if one has the tools, resources, and mechanical inclination to tackle a project like this, then the price paid was certainly a good one.

What do you figure 4 new shocks, hoses, and a tandem pump were to cost in parts alone? I guess $7500-$8000 if you bought all brand new OE parts. Then maybe a SAM or two has gone bad hence the electrical issues. Could also be something as simple as a blown fuse. In all, even if one spent $10k in parts to get this car back up to snuff, that's still under $14000 for an S65!

Oh, and that whine at startup? Sounds like the secondary air injection pump but the diverter valves aren't open so it's struggling. The pump whine sounds very different when the valves are open vs closed.

Last edited by amstel78; 08-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by amstel78
Previous owner might have gotten a quote from MB on how much it was going to cost to fix the ABC system and other electrical issues, and probably had a minor heart attack at the numbers. Figured it was easier to dump the car then to continue dealing with it.

Still, if one has the tools, resources, and mechanical inclination to tackle a project like this, then the price paid was certainly a good one.

What do you figure 4 new shocks, hoses, and a tandem pump were to cost in parts alone? I guess $7500-$8000 if you bought all brand new OE parts. Then maybe a SAM or two has gone bad hence the electrical issues. Could also be something as simple as a blown fuse. In all, even if one spent $10k in parts to get this car back up to snuff, that's still under $14000 for an S65!

Oh, and that whine at startup? Sounds like the secondary air injection pump but the diverter valves aren't open so it's struggling. The pump whine sounds very different when the valves are open vs closed.

Hmmm that probably is what happened.. and if there isn't any major issues with the engine then he probably got a great deal! I know you own one, and in all honestly I do love them but the S65 just scares me every time I see the hood open and how tight the engine is in that compartment!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
I saw this video as well on youtube. When you watch all of his videos about the S65 and see what is wrong with it of course it is a $4,000 car. Never mind what it cost brand new. Paint work, detail work, rotors, pads, fluid changes, TONS of electronic issues where nothing works on the car, the ABC system is shot, trunk is broken, windows do not work, has been in 2 accidents front and rear, locks do not work, overdue for service on the cluster, radio does not work, has over 150,000 miles, fluids leaks, AC issues. The list goes on and on. Assuming the owner can DIY he can get away for not a bad price and have himself a great car for a reasonable price. If he is not a DIY person then he will have himself a $4,000 car that turns into a $40,000 car... At that stage you can buy a clean S65 where things work.

Last edited by C280 Sport; 09-18-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I saw this video as well on youtube. When you watch all of his videos about the S65 and see what is wrong with it of course it is a $4,000 car. Never mind what it cost brand new. Paint work, detail work, rotors, pads, fluid changes, TONS of electronic issues where nothing works on the car, the ABC system is shot, trunk is broken, windows do not work, has been in 2 accidents front and rear, locks do not work, overdue for service on the cluster, radio does not work, has over 150,000 miles, fluids leaks, AC issues. The list goes on and on. Assuming the owner can DIY he can get away for not a bad price and have himself a great car for a reasonable price. If he is not a DIY person then he will have himself a $4,000 car that turns into a $40,000 car... At that stage you can buy a clean S65 where things work.
I can attest to spending a lot of money fixing these cars. If you can DIY AND buy used or aftermarket parts he will be okay.. even with my wholesale account and doing some myself and my buddy's MB shop doing the rest it goes well past 10k VERY quickly, and I'm not talking about a car with things not working, I'm talking about just making everything work perfectly like the car was from the factory.. I guarantee I could take most of the cars on this board and pick out ten plus things wrong despite the car looking near perfect.. there is just so many little things on this car and they all wear out.. that car even at $4 wouldn't be worth it to me if I planned on having a good working specimen of the W220.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
I can attest to spending a lot of money fixing these cars. If you can DIY AND buy used or aftermarket parts he will be okay.. even with my wholesale account and doing some myself and my buddy's MB shop doing the rest it goes well past 10k VERY quickly, and I'm not talking about a car with things not working, I'm talking about just making everything work perfectly like the car was from the factory.. I guarantee I could take most of the cars on this board and pick out ten plus things wrong despite the car looking near perfect.. there is just so many little things on this car and they all wear out.. that car even at $4 wouldn't be worth it to me if I planned on having a good working specimen of the W220.

Great post! Very ture the words you speak. However, my youtube comment replies were nothing but children talking about how there is no way you could dump that much into a old Mercedes. They will see first hand when they graduate from the C250