S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

V12 strange loud PSSH sound and smoke !

Old 03-13-2018, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
V12 strange loud PSSH sound and smoke !

Had a weird thing happen , WAs leaving my car parked and running at the bank and then I heard a loud constant PSSH sound and white smoke started coming from the drivers front corner of the hood by the abc reservoir .

I ran back to my car , turned it off and opened the hood . The PSSH sound stopped immediately when I turned the car off. I Didn't see any abc Leaks, and abc still working fine upon restart . Didn't see any coolant Leaks, coolant level and temp normal upon restart . If it was a coolant leak the noise should have persisted even after turning the car off . But the noise stopped immediately when I turned the car off . No obvious AC line Leaks and AC also worked fine on restart

also No PSSH noise returned upon restart ,and everything seems Normal!! I'm stumped !!

What could this possibly be ? Where is the intercoller pump located ? I am thinking maybe my intercoller pump or hoses failed ? (But I Checked intercoller fill cap and was still full ) car did seem a bit less powerful like I have less turbo boost now , but maybe that's in my head . Is there some turbo line or hose that could rupture and make the PSSH sound ?

any help appreciated !
Old 03-18-2018, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts
222 S-65
OP there are too many possibilities to take a WAG at what your car is doing. Has it happened again?

A fluid leak leak will be on the ground. Coolant temperature did not go up? High side pressure in A/C goes up very fast if the radiator fan does not operate in concert with with it. Pressure sensors for A/C will store codes. Plug it in for a quick test. It should remember. If not a good tech will be able to see signs of what happened.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
It could also be the overflow cap opening and venting coolant. But the res is on the wrong side.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Tusabes

Did you ever find out what the noise and the smoke was?

Nick