S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Hopefully an S55 owner (tomorrow!) Need Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2005 S55 AMG
Hopefully an S55 owner (tomorrow!) Need Advice

I'm looking at an 05 S55 AMG that has some ABC issues (sounds like a leak somewhere) where it starts to go down after a few weeks of sitting. Guy thinks it's a valve block but doesn't know, and is willing to knock 2K off an already low price. I've heard the engine and transmissions are pretty solid in these, anything else major I should look for? I've read a bit about the little stuff, and checked the recalls list. Thanks in advance for all your help!

And don't worry, I'm headed to the new guy thread for an intro too.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2006 CLS55
The ABC is the main thing to look out for on these cars. I ended rebuilding both front and rear valveblocks with accumulators. Also, had to replace both rear struts. And final abc pump.
Good luck!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 264 Likes on 213 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
I'm pretty sure we covered it all in this thread... https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...-should-i.html

In addition, do change your supercharger oil. You don't want to buy a new one of those. I finally got around to doing mine, and the only thing guy told me was "a lot more went in than what came out." Which is exactly what you're afraid of -- evaporative loss / burnout over time in a "lifetime sealed" component.

Highlight: "Do engine and tranny mounts, drain and fill the old transmission fluid, swap ABC fluid and filter (Pentosin), swap out the fuel filter and run 93 from here out, maybe do plugs when they do the gasket. If your buddy is comfortable swapping the supercharger fluid, do that too. From there, enjoy and sleep well. Not much goes wrong on these cars if properly cared for. A buddy who owns a good Indy is probably the best and only preparation you can have, which you do. I don't like the other gizmos (keyless go, trunk close, parktronic and such) because MB electronics are expensive and always break. The less of that stuff, the better to me."

Good luck, and enjoy!

maw

BTW, I bought too much Supercharger Oil, so if anyone here needs one, PM me. I've got an extra container, unopened.

Last edited by maw1124; 04-21-2018 at 02:19 PM.