S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

I can’t believe this. Broke a Engine Mount Bolt Ab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
I can’t believe this. Broke a Engine Mount Bolt Ab

My 2003 S55 AMG with 92,000 miles. About 6 months ago I was really on the gas. The next morning this noise started coming from the left front. About a month ago the noise was diagnosed as a engine mount by performing a Power Braking Test. Two estimates, one for $750 for both front mounts (
MB parts ) replaced by dropping the Sub Frame. The second estimate for $600 plus the cost of both front mounts from MB replaced by removing the exhaust system. I went with the $750 as the shop is reputable euro shop.
As it turns out the bolt between the sub frame and engine mount snapped. They drilled out the old bolt, replaced the battery and replaced the trunk struts for $ 569. The engine starts great now, kind of slow before.
I really think I got a good job for a good price. Anyone else have this problem?

The new bolt. It looks a little different than the factory bolt but it it is Grade 8.8 which is about as strong as it gets.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 453 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
OP good for you that it was easy!

What do they charge for labor to do them?

I've never been able to get that job to take over an hour in an E-55.
I recall the dealer guys telling me about how that was a 5.5 hour job to do. I laughed at them.
Will be more a rascal to do in my 221 car but see the work-arounds for it too.

I also recall the dealer guys talking about performing some procedure via electronics so the car knew about fresh mounts. Smelled of BS to me.