MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221-52/)
-   -   2013 S65 AMG transmission fluid change (https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s65-amg-s63-amg-w220-w221/734463-2013-s65-amg-transmission-fluid-change.html)

lxy172733823 01-30-2019 11:39 AM

2013 S65 AMG transmission fluid change

Hello everyone,

I changed ATF of my 2013 S65 AMG at the beginning of this month, I gave the mechanic 8 liters ATF for transmission service and the mechanic only used 4.5 liters ATF for the ATF change. I asked him that's it? are only 4.5 liters enought for the ATF change? He told me "Yes". I replaced gasket, AFT filter during this transmission service. Mercedes-Benz dealer suggested me 8 liters, that's why i bought 8 liters for ATF change. But in reality, the mechanic only used 4.5 liters.

How many liters or quarts exactly does my S65 need for the ATF change?

Thank you a lot.

JohnLane 02-01-2019 04:21 PM

Deep breaths OP. You didn't DO anything. The mechanic did the work. Idiot parts guy didn't know better.

The mechanic didn't start with an empty torque converter. That's how it goes.

4.5 qts is right for 'pull the trans pan, replace the filter, refill'

Next time it is due for an engine oil and filter change have him pull the trans drain plug and refill with the fresh fluid you have.

lxy172733823 02-01-2019 05:24 PM

Thank you bro, I went to the auto repair sotre on Monday night. The answer is exactly as what you said, the reason is because they don't have tool to remove the total AFT in the torque converter.
Will do what you recommended next time when it is due for motor oil and filter change, will ask them to drain ATF and refill the fresh transmission oil i have.

One question, can i ask the mechanic to flush transmission oil next time, not sure if they can do because they don't have some tools or equipments that can remove AFT in torque converter. what i imagine is that as they cannot change the whole ATF inside the torque converter, flush ATF may be an alternative way to replace the whole ATF because you refill the fresh ATF and drain ATF at the same time.
Can i do this way?

Thank you very much

JohnLane 02-01-2019 08:13 PM

In the days of old.... When Knights were bold.... Before toilets were invented... Oh... Sorry.

As late as the 1990's the torque converters in MB products were equipped with a drain plug to facilitate draining the torque converter.

Alas today we get to suffer with not getting that oil out when servicing the automagique transmission.

Don't lose sleep about it. Drain and fill with next engine oil change and you're good.

As for giving it a flush.... That usually involves pulling cooler lines from the radiator for a lot more effort, making a mess for questionable benefit.

I drain and and fill the ATF every other oil change in my S-65. Fluid is easy and cheap + it keeps the trans well behaved. Think of that red fluid as being the transmission's blood. We like it fresh.

lxy172733823 02-01-2019 10:22 PM

Thanks bro, will do what you recommended. change transmission oil like we change motor oil.
I already sent you a friend request, please accept.

thanks a lot

Arlind86 02-12-2019 02:23 PM

This is ridiculous..What tool to remove the torque converter plug.. It is a standard sized star plug.

My concern is if this mechanic did not even remove the trans fluid in the T.Converter, it is likely he didn't even put the fluid in using the correct procedure.

You have to overfill the transmission with fluid, start the car and need to check the trans temp using the OBD2 reader, at 93 Degrees, put the transmission in gear and reverse a few times and then you have to remove the trans plug, let the fluid drain until it stars to distort while it's draining; during which time you have to insert the plug back in.

If you have a 2010+, you use a different fluid and the temp to drain I believe was at 105 or so.

JohnLane 02-12-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Arlind86 (Post 7679776)
This is ridiculous..What tool to remove the torque converter plug.. It is a standard sized star plug.

My concern is if this mechanic did not even remove the trans fluid in the T.Converter, it is likely he didn't even put the fluid in using the correct procedure.

You have to overfill the transmission with fluid, start the car and need to check the trans temp using the OBD2 reader, at 93 Degrees, put the transmission in gear and reverse a few times and then you have to remove the trans plug, let the fluid drain until it stars to distort while it's draining; during which time you have to insert the plug back in.

If you have a 2010+, you use a different fluid and the temp to drain I believe was at 105 or so.

Your 140 Chassis car will have a drain plug in the torque converter.

I have never seen a drain plug for the torque converter in the five speed fitted to E-55 or 221 S-65.

I've looked for it as it seems stupid to not get all the fluid. Alas... No drain plug.