Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 09-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by jenz
Don't understand the lack of consistency

Why shouldn't the coupe/cab get the same 3 LED strip front and stardust rear light treatment
In general, there is NO consistency in MB headlight design. I don't know why. All the other big makes do have instantly-recognizable headlamps. I sent a message to Gorden.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Heisenberg
Anyone know if the C217 S63 is getting the same major updates as the W222 for 2018?
Here's what I've been able to discover so far about the A217/C217 improvements and changes for 2018:

M178 4.0l Hot V twin-turbo twin-scroll engine with 612 DIN HP 900 Nm. Faster to 60: from 3.8 to 3.4. Cylinder deactivation with glide (Coupe only!).
9G MCT with race start and four Dynamic Select programs (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, and Individual) affecting engine, transmission, suspension, steering, ESP, and all-wheel drive.
4Matic+.
3-stage ESP.
Ride Control+ suspension with 3 settings.
Front axle kinematics have higher wheel camber, bigger stabiliser bar and more rigid subframe mount at the rear axle.
New Intelligent Drive system package with improved DISTRONIC Active Proximity Control, Route-based Speed Adaptation, Extended Restart, Active Steer Assist, Evasive Steering Assist, Remote Parking Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Congestion Emergency Braking, Active Speed Limit Assist, Active Lane Change Assist, Automatic Speed Takeover, and Active Emergency Stop Assist. Pre-Safe Impulse Side, Pre-Safe Sound.
Exhaust flap button, infinitely variable flaps.
Track Pace vehicle data.
New bumpers and grill.
Ultra Wide Beam headlights. OLED tail lights with animated light sequences.
New steering wheel with touch control pads and Distronic controls.
Dual displays now contiguous and HD resolution. New display modes "Classic", "Sporty" and "Progressive". More AMG info (engine and transmission oil temperature, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, engine output and torque, boost pressure, tyre temperatures and pressures as well as the current vehicle set-up.). COMAND Online 3D navigation with topographical map display, photo-realistic 3D buildings, and 3D map rotations.
CarPlay and Android Auto (wired).
Linguatronic voice control extended to include 450 vehicle functions (air conditioning, seat heating/ventilation, interior lighting, fragrancing/ionisation, seat massage, and Head-up Display).
3 new trim lines (high-gloss brown burr walnut wood, satin-finish grey ash wood and flowing lines designo magnolia wood).
3 new upholstery lines (designo Exclusive nappa leather AMG Line Plus porcelain/tizian red, designo Exclusive nappa leather porcelain/tizian red and designo Exclusive nappa leather AMG Line Plus Bengal red/black).
ENERGIZING comfort control with six programs.
Wireless Qi smartphone charging up to 15.2cm.
64 interior lighting colors.
Analogue clock?
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
And here some more live pics from the IAA and details about the S63 (in German):

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...iaa17-iaa2017/
Old 09-16-2017, 08:29 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Arrow

Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
And here some more live pics from the IAA and details about the S63 (in German):

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...iaa17-iaa2017/
Did vist the IAA and was again impressed by the big stand of Mercedes (complete building, spread over several floors). Most (new) models were present, and both AMG and Maybach had their own private lounge (with good drinks and food! :-))

AMG Lounge had only one car this year, the AMG GTc roadster, in white, and very nice cognac brown interior.

The Maybach lounge had an Armed S class (triple the weight of a normal one I think), an extended wheelbase Maybach S600 and a presidential Maybach Pullman.

On the stand itself where of course the new S coupe (S450 and S63 AMG) as well as convertible (S560 and S65 AMG). Optically it is really a facelift, from the normal versions, you can only recognize it easily from the back (the OLED lights). With the AMG versions of course the Panamerica front grill is the main differentiator. Don't know if I like that new front.....the "old" one seems more refined, stylish. And of course in the interior the new steering wheel and the seamlessly integrated 2 LCD panels are the main differentiators. The latter looks really nice, the steering wheel not better/worse than the existing one, just different.

Pity they did not solve the main (only?) flaw of the convertible: the roof up/down button is still hidden in the middle console, as is the all windows up/down and airscarf/windscreen button, which is very inconvenient in every day driving I noticed. In the new E cabrio they solved that better with buttons on the middle console instead of inside!

So, besides the new engines and driving assistance systems, no real reasons to renew/upgrade imho. Better wait for the new Continental GT(C), what a great looking car, a leap forward from the current outgoing model!

And in the mean time, enjoy my almost perfect S63 convertible! :-)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 AM

With the AMG versions of course the Panamerica front grill is the main differentiator. Don't know if I like that new front.....the "old" one seems more refined, stylish.
I posted my thoughts and some pics on the AMG Private Lounge about the new Panamericana grill. I do not like it unless I'm at least 50 feet away. Up close, it looks terrible.
And the angle of the grill is now slightly down (i.e. about 2 degrees fwd when looking at it from the right side), rather than laid back as it is on my 2017. Quite an ugly snout it has.

But I'm still buying one, because the 36 other upgrades make it an even better machine overall.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:18 AM

The Changes for 2018

Originally Posted by jbattan
Here's what I've been able to discover so far about the A217/C217 improvements and changes for 2018:
And after visiting with the cars at IAA, here's my final list of the numerous changes for the facelift S 63 Coupe/Cabriolet:

* M177 LS2 4.0l Hot V twin-turbo twin-scroll engine with 612 DIN HP 900 Nm. Faster to 60: from 3.8 to 3.4. Cylinder deactivation (Comfort mode only). New layout in the engine compartment, obviously; OMOE badge now right of center.
* 9G MCT with simplified race start and four Dynamic Select programs (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, and Individual) affecting engine, transmission, suspension, steering, ESP, and all-wheel drive. Glide Mode.
* 4Matic+ with 3-stage ESP (Comfort, Sport, Off) but no drift mode as in E-Class.
* Ride Control+ suspension with 3 settings.
* Front axle kinematics have higher wheel camber. Bigger stabiliser bar. More rigid subframe mount at the rear axle.
* New Intelligent Drive system package with improved DISTRONIC Active Proximity Control, Route-based Speed Adaptation, Extended Restart (now 5s in city; 30s on freeway), Active Steer Assist, Evasive Steering Assist, Remote Parking Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Congestion Emergency Braking, Active Speed Limit Assist, Active Lane Change Assist, Automatic Speed Takeover, and Active Emergency Stop Assist. Pre-Safe Impulse Side, Pre-Safe Sound. Now 2 radars in rear at 45 degrees, one in front. Infrared in visor for near-range system use; grill has the far-range sensor for night vision.
* Exhaust flap button, infinitely variable flaps.
* Track Pace vehicle data.
* New bumpers and Panamericana grill. Pronounced bulge at the top of the grill.
* ILS headlights. No Multibeam LED headlights with Ultra Range and Ultra Wide Beam on A/C217 due to lack of space.
* OLED tail lights with animated light sequences. But still red rear turn signals in US due to size regulations. OLED advantages include detectability from extreme viewing angle, largely no cooling, low DC voltage required, stepless dimmability, no shadows, uniform illumination, and less glare of the subsequent traffic, but concerns about longevity.
* New steering wheel with touch control pads and Distronic controls. Can use steering wheel touchpad for COMAND movement and selection.
* Dual displays now under single pane of glass but still separated by 2" blank space. Higher resolution.
* NTG5*5 COMAND Online:
- 3D navigation with topographical map display, photo-realistic 3D buildings, and 3D map rotations.
- New display modes "Classic", "Sporty" and "Progressive" (although there is very little difference between Sporty and Progressive).
- More AMG info (engine and transmission oil temperature, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, engine output and torque, boost pressure, tyre temperatures and pressures as well as the current vehicle set-up).
- More responsive UI (although it still takes three seconds to get to the interior lighting menu).
- Revised menus.
- The menus are right justified so you have to click right to go back which is opposite from the 2017 and is counter-intuitive.
- New button layout around the COMAND controller. Favorites button moves to the right keypad touchpad area of the steering wheel.
- CarPlay and Android Auto (wired).
- Many more system options available: display and styles, input, audio, connectivity, Bluetooth devices, COMAND touch, time and date, language, units, Personalization, software update, system back up, pin protection, info on the system, reset.
- Options available in the vehicle menu include seats, climate control, dynamic select, track pace, assistance, consumption, light settings, vehicle settings, and owners manual.
- The Assistance menu includes traffic sign assist, camera and parking assist, active brake assist, speed adjustment, attention assist, active lane keeping assist, lane change assist, active blind spot assist, and automatic night view assist.
- COMAND Touch app.
- The yellow background of the menu system to indicate where the cursor is is very poor UI. Can't wait for a touchscreen interface.
- All of the left monitor vehicle functions have been moved to the right monitor menu settings.
- You can configure a skeuomorph of an analog clock to show in the Additional Display Area of the right monitor when looking at radio but not navigation.
* There are actually 3 kinds of Burmester audio. The High End system does not include 3D in the Cab since there is no overhead speaker, but they claim it still has 23 speakers and 1,520 watts. I counted two in the front door three on the rear door panel one in the back one in the center console one in trunk and at 13 that's it. Coupe has 24 speakers. Sedan spec says 27 but has 3x2 front, 4 top, 2x2 rear, 2 shelf, 1 trunk for 17 that I can see.
* Linguatronic voice control extended to 450 commands including vehicle functions (air conditioning, seat heating/ventilation, interior lighting, fragrancing/ionisation, seat massage, and HUD).
* 3 new trim lines (high-gloss brown burr walnut wood, satin-finish grey ash wood and flowing lines designo magnolia wood).
* 3 new upholstery lines (AMG Line Plus (semi-aniline) porcelain/tizian red, designo Exclusive nappa leather porcelain/tizian red and AMG Line Plus bengal red/black).
* ENERGIZING comfort control with six programs.
* Frameless rearview mirror.
* Door can be unlocked with NFC, but via Android only.
* A housing for the digital tuner takes up half the space of the trunk cubby, but presumably won't be in US models.
* New Start button.
* Longer wheel adjustment stalk, now approximately 2".
* Microphones at the top of the windshield frame. Centered in Coupe, outboard in Cabriolet.
* Wireless Qi smartphone charging for devices up to 15.2cm diagonal. Wireless charging mat takes up all (sedan) / some (Coupe) / much (Cabriolet) of the center console.
* "4Matic+" added to side badges.
* 64 interior lighting colors and lighting scenes.
* 2 USB and SD card reader in center console. 2 12V outlets in the rear.
The following 2 users liked this post by jbattan:
Germancar1 (10-27-2017), Jan AMG (01-06-2018)
Old 09-16-2017, 11:52 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by jbattan
- You can configure a skeuomorph of an analog clock to show in the Additional Display Area of the right monitor when looking at radio but not navigation.
* There are actually 3 kinds of Burmester audio. The High End system does not include 3D in the Cab since there is no overhead speaker, but they claim it still has 23 speakers and 1,520 watts. I counted two in the front door three on the rear door panel one in the back one in the center console one in trunk and at 13 that's it. Coupe has 24 speakers. Sedan spec says 27 but has 3x2 front, 4 top, 2x2 rear, 2 shelf, 1 trunk for 17 that I can see.
Thx for the extensive write up. Responded to you also on AMG PL forum.

Actually the analog clock feature is also available on pre-facelifted cars (at least in mine :-)), and the pre-facelifted cars also have the same 3 different Burmeister configs. Will look for the Burmeister detais later when I am home.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Here some more details on the new S coupe/cabriolet (in German), that can be ordered/configured from today:
http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...et-bestellbar/

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 10-25-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Here’s a bad English translation:

CHANGE YEAR 17/1: FURTHER ENGINES FOR S COUPE AND CABRIOLET

MARKUS JORDAN23 OCTOBER 2017
S-CLASS
SALES
0 COMMENTSMercedes-Benz today launches the sales approval for the model care of the S Class Coupé and convertibles. Among other things, the S 450 4MATIC Coupé and the S 560 coupé option are now also available with 4MATIC all-wheel drive. The S 560 will follow later on as a convertible - without all-wheel drive - from December 2017, as will the S 64 4MATIC + variant (A 217).

With modification year 2017/1 (code 808), numerous (new) engines are available for the S Class Cabriolet as well as the S Coupé from 23 October 2017, which will also be delivered for the first time from 20 January 2018 onwards.

New engines at a glance:
  • S 450 4MATIC Coupé for 101.655,75 Euro
  • S 560 Coupe for 127,942.85 Euro
  • S 560 4MATIC Coupe for 131.750,85 Euro
  • Mercedes-AMG S 63 4MATIC + Coupé for 177,310 Euros
  • Mercedes-AMG S 65 Coupé for 249.305 Euro
  • Mercedes-AMG S 65 convertible for 257.456,50 Euro
Compared to pre-Mop prices, the price of the S 65 Coupé and Cabriolet remain unchanged, as is the price of the S 450 4MATIC Coupé in the year 17/2.

Elimination of equipment
In the changing year 17/2 there are numerous optional extras, such as the decorative element wood roots brown glossy, designo wood ash metallised or the leather nappa crystal gray / black or leather nappa AMG crystal gray / black as well as the leather Nappa AMG Line Plus crystal gray / black , The DVD player or DVD changer (code 815,815), or the SPLITVIEW system, is also no longer available.

New decorative elements
New design elements for the 2017/2 modification year for the 217 series (S Coupé / Cabriolet) are, among others, the decor element designo wood magnolia flowing lines or the decorative element wood grate gray silk matte. The woody root nut, brown glossy, is also offered as a serivating element.

Equipment changes for the series 217
The park package with reversing camera is now standard component, the 360 ​​degree camera costs (code P47) 1,130.50 euros surcharge. The chassis package is available for an extra charge of 2,737 euros. The ENERGIZING comfort control is available for 238 euros, the 64 colors ambient lighting for 476 euros. While the Smartphone integration package is standard, the CD drive is available for 297.50 euros additionally (pre-set 59.50 euros). In connection with the exclusive package, nunn the designo exclusive leather equipment in Nappa porzallan / tizian red, AMG porcelain tizian red as well as AMG Line Plus porcelain tizian red and bengal red / black free of charge.

The special model " Yellow Night Edition " for the S 63 4MATIC + Coupé, which will be available exclusively for 6 months , will be a new addition from 23.10.2017 . The optional special model in selenite gray magno or optionally painted in night black magno is discreetly characterized by a yellow trim strip on the exterior mirror housings.

The 7-spoke light-alloy wheels in matt black with glossy rim rims as well as the yellow-painted AMG ceramic high-performance composite brake systems, which are standard in the edition, are another component of the edition. A further component is the aerodynamic package with enlarged front splitter in high-gloss black (with carbon package in carbon) and tear-off edge in high-gloss black (with carbon package in carbon) on the rear cover and the AMG racing strips (foil) on the vehicle sides.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
@Jbattan - Thank you for all the great info.

Cosmetic changes are obviously minimal both inside and out. I like the new steering wheel, and the higher resolution displays look great - experienced them in an E class loaner. I know Mercedes is using the Panamericana grill on the AMG 63 cars ,now but I much prefer the old front bumper and grill!

The COMAND and tech upgrades look excellent. And I'm glad to see more drive mode options including Sport+ and Race Start, which should have been on the S63 all along. Disappointing the pano roof remains fixed - was hoping a sliding/tilt mechanism would be added - but I guess that is expected since there is a cabriolet version.

Anyone know how the new 9sp box compares with the 7sp MCT ? Transmission has clearly been a weak point on the S63 although I'm generally satisfied with it in S mode. Power output of the 4L engine is really impressive although to me the wide range out of output among various models indicates a very aggressive factory tune for the S63 and E63 - a similarly aggressive aftermarket tune on the 5.5L would probably be ~ 700HP/1000NM, at the cost of warranty. I have not tuned mine since the car is adequately fast and I didn't want to compromise warranty.

My 2015 CPO now has about 17,000 miles (bought it with 9,000) so am considering placing an order for the refresh sometime in 2018-2019. When do order banks open for the C217 refresh ?
Old 10-25-2017, 02:47 PM

I've heard the US order banks open around EOY.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:37 PM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Here some more details on the new S coupe/cabriolet (in German), that can be ordered/configured from today:
http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...et-bestellbar/
In Western Europe the new C217/A217 can be ordered now. Just put on 4 new Michelins PS4S, so I will wait for a while :-)
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

"I know Mercedes is using the Panamericana grill on the AMG 63 cars ,now but I much prefer the old front bumper and grill!"

I feel the same way

Sort of a retro 50"s look

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 10-26-2017, 05:59 AM

US order banks open up next week! DOG should be posted to the AMG PL this weekend!
Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Here a detailed video from the facelifted AMG S63:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Great video... thinking I need to go for the MY15 > MY18 trade-in!

Hopefully MBUSA will finalize prices and update their configurator soon.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:12 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Interesting to know is that in the facelifted car there is an extra wind deflector option (for Euro 786 overhere):

Since this is behind the front seats, it will be of much more use than the standard (electric) one behind the rear seats (that has almost no use in real life, only above 140 km/h it will help a little in my experience, but then also the ugly aircap comes up, pity they can not be operated seperately).

Would this deflector be available and fit for the pre-facelifted cars also? It seems there are no extra mounting points needed for it?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I'm curious about the wind deflector as well.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:39 PM

S63 AMG Cabrio
And here an extensive comparison video (including some drifting and driving at vMax with one hand....):

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 02-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:24 PM

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Here he is fiddling with COMAND at 300 kph, so casual like. I didn't know you can change the DYNMIC SELECT mode (to RACE in this case) before you even start the engine.
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (02-10-2018)