M157 S63 Coupe Timing Chain Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
217 - S63 AMG
M157 S63 Coupe Timing Chain Issue

Hey,

I'm new here and came with a specific issue.
I drive(drove) a 2015 S63 Coupe with the M157 engine. A few weeks ago my timing chain broke while cruising at high-way speed. After my dealer checked the car, they denied my warranty because of aftermarket performance upgrades.
This is clearly a fault that is not caused by the upgrade, so I'm trying to do some research.
I found out that the M157 is a relatively weak engine, since it's just a AMG development based on Mercedes' M276 engine.

Do any of you guys had issues with the Timing Chain? If so, did the dealer fix damages under warranty?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
John.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by M157_Driver
Hey,

I'm new here and came with a specific issue.
I drive(drove) a 2015 S63 Coupe with the M157 engine. A few weeks ago my timing chain broke while cruising at high-way speed. After my dealer checked the car, they denied my warranty because of aftermarket performance upgrades.
This is clearly a fault that is not caused by the upgrade, so I'm trying to do some research.
I found out that the M157 is a relatively weak engine, since it's just a AMG development based on Mercedes' M276 engine.

Do any of you guys had issues with the Timing Chain? If so, did the dealer fix damages under warranty?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
John.
What do you mean the M157 is a relatively weak engine?

M
Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

When MB introduced the M278 they touted

a new timing chain set up - new and improved

AMG used this engine to come up with the M157

While AMG upgraded many of the engines internal parts

they did not upgrade the timing chain set up believing

that the "new and improved" timing chain set up could

handle the power / tq of the S63 / S63 coupe -

even on a cold start up

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Have not heard of this problem before with M157. What specific performance upgrades did you have done ? How many miles on the odometer ?

Timing chain connects the crankshaft to the camshaft. So anything changing operating parameters of the crankshaft, i.e. engine tune with increased power/torque, unfortunately gives them ample reason to deny warranty - whether or not it was ultimately responsible for the failure. In these situations the tuner will blame Mercedes and vice versa... leaving the owner with the bill unless an installing dealer picks it up as good will.

I had a Renntech tune on my CLS55 with no issues, but decided to not risk my warranty on subsequent '14 CLS63S and '15 S63 Coupe.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

I would really like to know the answers

to the two questions asked in the 1st

paragraph of post #4 above

I spoke with a service advisor today

and he wanted to know right up front

what "mods" the car has been subjected

to as he could not remember any such

problem on the S63 AMG W222 / C217

Please keep this thread updated

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
Had a 12 CLS63 that had some timing chain issue. Didn't break, but had thrown a code for some timing related issue. I don't know the resolution since I traded the car before they could check it out. I am aware of another car locally that had that issue, and that one also was just traded and the ultimate resolution was unknown. Of course, once back at the dealer for their repairs, this doesn't get released as news for folks to know about.

As an opinion only, while I dearly loved this car and will always look back fondly at it, this engine scared me. Live the performance and all that, but longevity may not be strong suit for these 'hand built' engines. The prices quoted for dealing with engines issues with these quickly escalates to being more than the worth of the car, leaving people with boat anchors if something goes wrong as they cannot be replaced or repaired at reasonable prices. Also, with the turbos, again as an opinion, the tunes pull so much extra power (like 40%+) that it logically must be hard on engine internals, there's no other possibility. Buying these used, because of the ease of tuning, and basically no way to tell if it was tuned, is a difficult proposition. If the price is low enough, and you can afford to lose this investment, then it can work out OK for you because the cars themselves are so great! Probably one part of the reason for the so low resale...

There's my $0.02!

Aiden