S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

Winter Tire Scam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Angry Winter Tire Scam

My wife and I just purchased our 5th Mercedes and our 3rd AMG. Probably going to buy a couple of MB's for the kids as well.

But here's the thing: the dealer told me that - no matter what - the MB's in Calgary (Canada) are sold "only" with Summers - even if they deliver in the winter. You are expected to buy Winters, and they will store them for "free".

Problem is that the "made for MB" summer tires seem to need replacement after only 13,000 km (8000 miles). And I don't drive them hard - I live in a big city with lots of traffic. Money isn't really the issue for me....but the "Scam" I don't like is that they want me to buy basically a new set of tires every year....and pay about $500 twice a year per vehicle to swap out the tires.

The time it takes to organize tire swaps on 3 vehicles twice a year is prohibitive and a huge PIA. I also feel taken advantage of, as they almost always find something wrong with the vehicle....often not telling me about it until minutes before I am scheduled to pick it up. The original dealer often "forgets" to attend to various items I want them to check on, and my vehicles have been returned to me dirty, greasy, full of cat hair (I don't have a cat) and with dents in the bumper (the dealer made me take the vehicle to an external shop to get this all sorted out - TWICE!). I should mention that our roads are very nice and smooth.

In any case, I found some nice Scorpions from Costco that are guaranteed unconditionally for 80k. I had them mounted and my vehicle seems to drive as nice as ever!

Is it really worth the hassle on these high-end vehicles to buy two new sets of tires every year? I only drive about 26k km (16k miles) per vehicle at most.....and I keep getting told that my tire wear is "very close" to the "wear bar" by the dealer.

Interestingly, the new dealer seems to be a lot better....they sell the MB's with higher end all-seasonal tires....though the new GTC comes with summers....I don't drive that vehicle in the winter anyways....

I just wonder how much of a scam the "need" to have winter and summer tires really is.......I drove on All Seasonals my whole life....including on Escalades for over 15 years! Why the "sudden" need for specific summers and winters? I think it may be an industry-wide scam.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
There are marked performance differences between summer and winter tires, obviously. No MB sold north of the 44th parallel should come with summer tires, but MB continue to put them on for some reason. I keep winter tires on my S63 year-round, and they're great (Michelin PA4). They'll wear fast given my driving style, but so did the POS summer Conti 5P summer tires that came on the car. I only got 11K miles out of them. The problem for the high-end cars is that there are few models of tires that fit, and they're made sticky and thus have little tread life. Trade-offs. Pay-to-play. The MB tax.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I have multiple year round MB's and snows for each.
I have the summer set and snows mounted on rims.
I just keep the stack at home and swap 'em. no charges, no dealer involvement.
While I'm under there it gives me the opportunity to really look things over for myself twice a year.
Winter tires are clearly much better when it gets real icy. stopping and turning are substantially enhanced.
And summer tires, well that speaks for itself in grip.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Some tires are made to last shorter. Check the “TREADWEAR” index.
300+ will last 10k-15k miles.
60+ will last 6k but will be sticky like a chewing gum. Alfa Romeo puts them on their new 500hp cars.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Usually, tires providing better handling and roadholding have shorter life expectancy, that's the price for performance.
In a snowy climate like Calgary (or Chicago where I live) Winter dedicated tires are a must even on AWD, for your own safety, it is not just for better acceleration but most of all, braking and making turns safely without going wide.
You should not drive with these tires in warm weather, they are designed for cold and will wear prematurely and lose effectiveness.
You have a high performance, expensive car, having 2 sets of wheels is a must for your safety and relatively a small price to pay for it.
It is not a scam, in Germany it's law.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Ferrari 612 2007 S65 RENNtech Stage 2
$500 to swap a set of tires? That's robbery. I pay $150 annually for off season storage and that includes both swaps. Find an independent tire store.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Ferrari 612 2007 S65 RENNtech Stage 2
$500 to swap a set of tires? That's robbery. I pay $200 annually for off season storage and that includes both swaps. Find an independent tire store.