S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

Keep 2017 S63 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 S63 Convertible
Keep 2017 S63 Convertible?

I'm coming off a lease in about 45 days. Car is in very great condition, only 8,500 miles, and the lease buy out is about $99,000. I see the same car being sold used at dealers, with higher miles, in the $125K to 127K range. I do like to get (lease) a new car every 2 years, though I rarely seem to have this much "equity" in a lease. Dealer told me I would never get that much for this car if I tried to sell it (claims they always get sold for much less), and instead is pushing me for a 2019 S63 convertible, or a 2019 AMG GTS63 4 door.

Not sure I believe this dealer, as it seems I would have to get at least $110K or more just trading it in on new car or lease. The 2019 is a little nicer (faster engine), though I'm not crazy about the panarama grilles, but they car otherwise is not all that much different. Any thoughts on getting into the 2019, or stepping back into a 4 door for a change - the GTS63 is actually cheaper, though I'm not entirely sold on the looks of it (the rear end in particular) and the interior doesn't seem as nice or classy as the S63. And of course, you cannot see any of them in person to decide as few if any have been delivered yet.

Is the 99K buy out on the 2017 too good to ignore and I should consider just buying that (esp consider the low miles and good condition), or is the dealer correct? Coupled with that, if it did walk away, GTS63 4 door too frumpy looking as it seems, or might I change my mind entirely if I saw it person (or has anyone seen it in person)? Any thoughts appreciated?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Good to have these kind of "dilemmas" :-)
The AMG GT is a nice looking car, but build quality / comfort / etc is not in the league of the S63. If you look for a track car, the AMG GT is the better car, but if you are already used to the S63 I would either buy it out for 99K or go for the newer 2019 MY S63. But testdrive the new S63 first: new engine, tranmission and some upgraded tech things. The 4.0 V8 has different character as the "old" 5.5 V8 in your current car!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
The new (2018+) is so much better than the 2017 or older versions. There is no comparison. The new engine is more reactive. The lag of the older engine is gone. The exhaust is better as it makes pops and crackles that you would expect from an AMG. The new command is better. 9speed transmission.

I would go for the 2019 S63.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:50 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
I currently have both a 2017 and 2019 S63 Cabriolet in my garage, and there are so many upgrades in the 2019, I’d definitely recommend it.
I’ve sat in a GT63 in Germany, and it’s more E-Class quality, and much more cramped. The seats are uncomfortable to me (I’m tall). But those OLED steering wheel lower buttons are killer!

Here are over 50 reasons to upgrade to the 2019 S:
  • New engine: M177 LS2 4.0l Hot-V twin-turbo twin-scroll engine with 612 DIN 603 SAE HP and 900 Nm 664 lb-ft torque. Faster to 60: from 3.8 to 3.4 (Car & Driver test got 3.1; 2019 GT R is 3.5). Cylinder deactivation (Comfort mode only). New layout in the engine compartment; OMOE badge now right of center.
  • 9G MCT transmission with simplified race start and four Dynamic Select programs (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, and Individual) affecting engine, transmission, suspension, steering, ESP, and all-wheel drive. Glide Mode via Sailing Function: ("Comfort" mode "sailing" function: when the driver releases the accelerator in a speed range from 60 to 160 km/h, the clutch of the DCT transmission is disengaged.) “Last mode save" feature is not available in the USA.
  • AMG 4Matic+ AWD with 3-stage ESP (Comfort, Sport, Off) but no drift mode as in E-Class.
  • Ride Control+ suspension with 3 settings.
  • Front axle kinematics have higher wheel camber. Bigger stabilizer bar. More rigid subframe mount at the rear axle.
  • New Intelligent Drive system package with improved DISTRONIC Active Proximity Control, Route-based Speed Adaptation, Extended Restart (now 5s in city; 30s on freeway), Active Steer Assist, Evasive Steering Assist, Remote Parking Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Congestion Emergency Braking, Active Speed Limit Assist, Active Lane Change Assist, Automatic Speed Takeover, and Active Emergency Stop Assist. Pre-Safe Impulse Side, Pre-Safe Sound. Now 2 radars in rear at 45 degrees, one in front. Infrared in visor for near-range system use; grill has the far-range sensor for night vision.
  • Exhaust flap button, infinitely variable flaps.
  • Track Pace vehicle data.
  • New bumpers and Panamericana grill. Pronounced bulge at the top of the grill.
  • ILS headlights with new Ultra Wide Beam. No Multibeam LED headlights on A/C217 due to lack of space.
  • OLED tail lights (without animated light sequences in US: regulations in certain markets, including the US, require a certain amount of lighted surface area at all times for the turn signal. With our tail light design on the S63A4, it cannot both be progressive and comply with the US regulations. Audi is able to get around this because a portion of their turn signal lights up all at once while layering the progressive turn signal on top of that.). But still red rear turn signals in US due to bogus “size regulations”. OLED advantages include detectability from extreme viewing angle, largely no cooling, low DC voltage required, stepless dimmability, no shadows, uniform illumination, and less glare of the subsequent traffic, but concerns about longevity.
  • New steering wheel with touch control pads and Distronic controls. Can use steering wheel touchpad for COMAND movement and selection.
  • Dual displays now under single pane of glass but still separated by 2" blank space. Higher resolution of up to 1920 x 720 pixels (200 dpi).
  • NTG5*5 COMAND Online:
  • 3D navigation with topographical map display, photo-realistic 3D buildings, and 3D map rotations.
  • New display modes "Classic", "Sporty" and "Progressive" (although there is very little difference between Sporty and Progressive).
  • More AMG info (engine and transmission oil temperature, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, engine output and torque, boost pressure, tyre temperatures and pressures as well as the current vehicle set-up).
  • More responsive UI (although it still takes three seconds to get to the interior lighting menu).
  • Revised menus.
  • The menus are right justified so you have to click right to go back which is opposite from the 2017 and is counter-intuitive.
  • New button layout around the COMAND controller. Favorites button moves to the right keypad touchpad area of the steering wheel.
  • CarPlay and Android Auto (wired).
  • Many more system options available: display and styles, input, audio, connectivity, Bluetooth devices, COMAND touch, time and date, language, units, Personalization, software update, system back up, pin protection, info on the system, reset.
  • Options available in the vehicle menu include seats, climate control, dynamic select, track pace, assistance, consumption, light settings, vehicle settings, and owners manual.
  • The Assistance menu includes traffic sign assist, camera and parking assist, active brake assist, speed adjustment, attention assist, active lane keeping assist, lane change assist, active blind spot assist, and automatic night view assist.
  • COMAND Touch app.
  • The subtle blue background of the menu system to indicate where the cursor is, is very poor UI. Can't wait for a touchscreen interface.
  • All of the left monitor vehicle functions have been moved to the right monitor menu settings.
  • You can configure a skeuomorph of an analog clock to show in the Additional Display Area of the right monitor when looking at radio but not navigation.
  • There are actually 3 kinds of Burmester audio: Base, High End, and High End 3D. The High End system does not include 3D in the Cab since there is no overhead speaker, but MB claim it still has 23 speakers and 1,520 watts. I counted two grills in each front door, three on each rear door panel, one in the back, one in the center console, one in the trunk, and at 13 that's it, so presumably some grills have multiple cones. Coupe has 24 speakers. Sedan spec says 27 but has 3x2 front, 4 top, 2x2 rear, 2 shelf, 1 trunk for 17 that I can see.
  • Linguatronic voice control extended to 450 commands including vehicle functions (air conditioning, seat heating/ventilation, interior lighting, fragrance/ionization, seat massage, and HUD).
  • 3 new trim lines (high-gloss brown burr walnut wood, satin-finish grey ash wood and flowing lines designo magnolia wood).
  • 3 new upholstery lines (AMG Line Plus (semi-aniline) porcelain/tizian red, designo Exclusive nappa leather porcelain/tizian red and AMG Line Plus bengal red/black).
  • New AMG key fob.
  • Multi-color HUD.
  • ENERGIZING comfort control with six programs.
  • Frameless rearview mirror.
  • Door can be unlocked with NFC, but via Android only. iPhone requires an NFC sticker.
  • A housing for the digital tuner takes up half the space of the trunk cubby, but presumably won't be in US models.
  • New Start button.
  • Longer wheel adjustment stalk, now approximately 2".
  • Microphones at the top of the windshield frame. Centered in Coupe, outboard in Cabriolet.
  • Wireless Qi smartphone charging for devices up to 15.2cm diagonal. Wireless charging mat takes up all (sedan) / some (Coupe) / much (Cabriolet) of the center console. Conflicts with NFC-based Apple Pay.
  • "4Matic+" label added to side badges.
  • 64 interior lighting colors, multi-colors, AC indicating, welcome lighting, and lighting scenes.
  • No CD player
  • 2 USB and SD card reader in center console. 2 12V outlets in the rear.
  • DISTRONIC lowest speed that can be set is 12 mph (was 20). Didn’t I see 15?
  • If rocker switch 4 is pressed up twice, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC is activated with the speed restriction displayed in the instrument cluster. ??
  • Press and hold the voice button to start the voice assistant (Siri) of the mobile phone.
  • To create your own Favorite: select the desired function in the multimedia system. Press and hold the Home button until the favorites are displayed.
  • If you switch the power supply off and on again within 20 minutes, the previous setting of the seat heater for the driver's seat remains active.
  • Seat memory sets seat, headrest, multicontour settings, heat distribution, steering wheel and outside mirror positions, and now? HUD.
  • Transmission to P when ignition turned off?
  • Parking brake automatically released.
  • Remote Park app? No, sedan only
  • Does rear cross traffic assist work?
  • Two Attention Assist sensitivity levels.
  • Cruise from 15+.
  • 20 menu item favorites.
  • What’s COMAND Touch app?
  • Lateral side impact warning.
  • Adjustable Parktronic distance, tone volume, and pitch.
  • When low beam is activated, the indicator lamp for the parking lights is deactivated and replaced by the low beam indicator lamp. When the high beam is activated, the indicator lamp for low beam is deactivated and replaced by the indicator lamp for the high beam.
  • No gas guzzler tax or destination charge?
  • Battery standby mode.
  • Drive Away Assist.
  • Exiting a parking spot requires pushing the Parktronic button.
  • AMG Supplement
  • Exit warning (when opening door up to 3 minutes after parking)
  • Drive Away Assist
  • Rear cross traffic assist
  • Sport mode Distronic+ is great.
  • Can no longer adjust passenger seat from driver side. Rear headrests button moved there. Manual says it’s still there.
  • No seatbelt extension button. Manual says it’s last button in drive assistant cluster.
  • Approximately 10 false positives for steering wheel assist having my hands on the wheel.
  • Huge downpour in France and pilot sport 3 tires did fine through standing water.
  • Rough idle when in P, but not D Hold.
  • Individual segments for parking sensors.
Obviously I’m still sorting out some of the differences...

The following users liked this post:
Jan AMG (06-11-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

I'm curious what was your lease payment on that car (MSRP around $180k?)?
Reason I'm asking is because I was just offered a new 2018 Bentley Supersport Convertible (with 700HP and 750Lbs torque), MSRP $358k, for 36 month, Zero down, at $3,048/month.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
2013 S550 SOLD / 2016 S63 SOLD / 2017 GLS450 / 2017 G550 4x4 / 2019 G63 E1 SOLD / 2019 S63 COUPE
Originally Posted by absent

I'm curious what was your lease payment on that car (MSRP around $180k?)?
Reason I'm asking is because I was just offered a new 2018 Bentley Supersport Convertible (with 700HP and 750Lbs torque), MSRP $358k, for 36 month, Zero down, at $3,048/month.
Much cheaper than the S63 but wondering whats the millage allowance for the 36 months?
Old 06-11-2019, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I'd keep the old car. Although, I agree with jbattan, the new one has been greatly improved!
Old 06-30-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 43, SL500, AMG GT-S, S65
GTS will be cramped and ride rough compared to the S Cabriolet. I had the GT-S coupe and was in a similar situation. Lease end purchase was about $92k, and models with similar spec were selling for the 110s. Just out of curiosity I took it to Carmax; they offered me $72k. You've had this car for a couple years, I'd be concerned with buyer's remorse if you bought it. Knowing what little I do about your taste, I would get a new S63.