S63 issues Mercedes needs to address

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 SL65, 2015 S63, 2019 Trackhawk, 2012 RR SC
S63 issues Mercedes needs to address

I purchased a CPO 2015 S63 and here are my 3 issues with the vehicle

1) The off the line acceleration is horrible for the vehicle. Even in Sport mode with ESP disabled the car hesitates (as if ESP is on) and then takes off. But once it gets going its a rocket. Very annoying for an AMG model and you should not have to power brake a vehicle north of 500hp to jump from a standing start. My SL55 granted is supercharger rather than turbocharged will lite up the rear tires if you disable ESP. The S63 feels as if the ESP is not truely disabled causing the hesitation.

2) No remote start feature from the factory or aftermarket. I know 2016+ models have the app and up 2013 models have an aftermarket fix. But what about us with 2014-15 models?

3) No valet mode which could limit the max. speed to under 20mph.

True story... when I purchased my S63, the dealer had to order the carbon fiber front facia because it was damaged. They ordered the part from Germany and made arrangements to have my car flatbed shipped back to have it installed 2 weeks later after the part comes in. Well the transport driver takes me car for a 40 mile joy ride and tried to deny it. I found out only because of the free 90 day mBrace app which sent me a text alert that the car was being driven (not flatbed towed) and going over 70mph and the odometer had 40 miles more than when the dealer finished servicing the car.

So to all members do not have anything to do with D & A Unlimited Transport Service at 72 Summer Street Blackstone MA. The owner Danny was the person who drives other peoples luxury cars instead of towing them and only admitted it when confronted with the text alert from mbrace.
The following users liked this post:
Stufearn (02-27-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S63, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Litho

1) The off the line acceleration is horrible for the vehicle. Even in Sport mode with ESP disabled the car hesitates (as if ESP is on) and then takes off. But once it gets going its a rocket. Very annoying for an AMG model and you should not have to power brake a vehicle north of 500hp to jump from a standing start. My SL55 granted is supercharger rather than turbocharged will lite up the rear tires if you disable ESP. The S63 feels as if the ESP is not truely disabled causing the hesitation.

2) No remote start feature from the factory or aftermarket. I know 2016+ models have the app and up 2013 models have an aftermarket fix. But what about us with 2014-15 models?

True story... when I purchased my S63, the dealer had to order the carbon fiber front facia because it was damaged. They ordered the part from Germany and made arrangements to have my car flatbed shipped back to have it installed 2 weeks later after the part comes in. Well the transport driver takes me car for a 40 mile joy ride and tried to deny it. I found out only because of the free 90 day mBrace app which sent me a text alert that the car was being driven (not flatbed towed) and going over 70mph and the odometer had 40 miles more than when the dealer finished servicing the car.

So to all members do not have anything to do with D & A Unlimited Transport Service at 72 Summer Street Blackstone MA. The owner Danny was the person who drives other peoples luxury cars instead of towing them and only admitted it when confronted with the text alert from mbrace.
I'm trying to understand the root cause of #1 item, no luck. MB dealer maintains the car is 100%. I think I had tried to lunch with ESP Off, but same result. The engine seem to stall around 2000-3000 RPM then go. The non-linear acceleration curve of this vehicle annoys me.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Try a reset

TRANSMISSION RESET - if you have KEYLESS GO do not remove the Start button
* Press Start button twice, this sets it to key position 2
* Floor gas pedal for 10 seconds
* Press Start/Stop once. This turns it OFF
* Release gas pedal and wait two minutes
* Then start the engine and begin driving
Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 PM

I already tried the tranny reset and does not help with the initial hesitation from a dead start. It just changes the RPM's at which the tranny shifts gears keeping the car in higher torque curve.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG S63
I have a 2014 and it's pretty much the same. A healthy lag at startup from a deadstop. Even a semi-aggressive press on the accelerator brings a lag before the turbo spins up and catches up.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S63, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by jenz
Try a reset

TRANSMISSION RESET - if you have KEYLESS GO do not remove the Start button
* Press Start button twice, this sets it to key position 2
* Floor gas pedal for 10 seconds
* Press Start/Stop once. This turns it OFF
* Release gas pedal and wait two minutes
* Then start the engine and begin driving
This definitely helps with hard downshifts for a few weeks, until I need another reset. But not much of the affect to hesitation issue.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Not making an excuse for your car in any way, and not that you should have to do this, but could look into an aftermarket tune like RennTech if your dealership is friendly with a Tuner. My 2016 has zero hesitation from the line in any mode. Sport mode I have to ease into or it lurches off the line ready to run. Very manageable once you get used to it. My issue was the aggressive downshifts in sport coming to a stop. That has all but fixed itself with regular driving in sport mode so the ECU can learn my style. Hope that helps. Good luck finding a fix
Old 03-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-AMG

We had the complaints with the stock/factory 'off-the-line' acceleration a lot from S-Class customers.
We now offer a Transmission Software upgrade in addition to our ECU Upgrade for the S-Class models which dramatically improves the 0-60mph times and the the overall acceleration process.
Currently only available in-house. Will extend this service to our authorized dealers soon.

http://renntechmercedes.com/index.ph...upgrade-detail
Old 03-15-2017, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Guys, all M157 engines have this problem, including us with the E63/CLS63.

The reason it lags off the line is because of the TCU torque limits, if the car did not reduce the power in the lower 1-2 gears, the MCT transmission would be kaput. Read about it here. Geting an ECU tune does NOT fix this problem as its related to the TCU, transmission control unit, not the ECU.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ver-stock.html

Last edited by Amg63-; 03-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Iflylo (11-11-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:57 PM

I have not driven an amg model with launch control but I can't imagine there is hesitation from off the line when using it. So if the tranny take that abuse then there should be no reason for limiting torque so much that when the light turns green the car hesitates under 3/4 to full throttle. Again, once its gets going (tach gets above 1500) from a stop the car pulls hard
Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
I have not driven an amg model with launch control but I can't imagine there is hesitation from off the line when using it. So if the tranny take that abuse then there should be no reason for limiting torque so much that when the light turns green the car hesitates under 3/4 to full throttle. Again, once its gets going (tach gets above 1500) from a stop the car pulls hard
that's what you would think, but that's not the case. Even when using launch control on a 2014 e63s, the car will still bog down, then take off. All the launch control does is minimize the lag, but it's impossible to completely eliminate it unless you can somehow tune the TCU which no tuner has figured out how to do yet. Even once they do, the second that TCU unleashes all the torque in the lower gears the transmission will be at risk, that's part of why it's implemented in the first place.

What they need to do is once they figure it out, they need to reduce the limits just enough that the transmission will still stay reliable with that limit removed.