Sponsored by:

2017 S63 AMG Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 S63
2017 S63 AMG Nightmare!

Four months ago I purchased my 2017 S63. After two weeks the Gears started to go crazy on me, sometimes the car started perfectly and sometimes it went all the way to 3,000 rpm's before moving an inch! I took it to the dealership and they kept it for two weeks. They said it was a gear box software reset problem and now was fixed.

I took the car back but I soon noticed from zero it slowly starts, like if you kept the clutch in and very slowly goes in to gear?

I took the car back but this time I did a asked to do a test drive on another S63 to compare. Well the test drive car was perfect and My car was completely off!!!
From 0-60 the RPM's jump to 4,000 then drop to 2,500 and then go back up.
They took the car back to the shop and it's already been 3 weeks!
They said they ordered a new wet clutch from Germany, but I mean, it's a bran new $175k car, I've own it for only 4 months and has been 5 weeks in the shop!

I really want to go away from AMG!
Considering returning the car and get a PANAMERA TURBO

Has anybody heard a story like mine on a new car?

Last edited by joemagnani; 09-14-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: ortography mistake
Old 09-14-2017, 03:50 PM
SVL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S63
Sorry to hear of your troubles, not fun. While uncommon, every manufacturer does produce new vehicles that are "lemons" for one reason or another. I would hope that the dealer would go immediately go to MB and champion an effort to get you a new vehicle so that you don't have to go through the formal legal channels required where you live.

If the S63 is the car you really want force the issue with the dealer and MB. If not, go grab a loaded Panamera Turbo and have fun.

Good luck,
Scott
Old 09-15-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Agreed, all cars could have potential problems like this. I think your MB 63 would be A LOT nicer than a Panamera with tight rear seat room in comparison. And, your car looks A LOT nicer than a new Panamera in my book.

Maybe they will give you a new one if it keeps screwing up like this? The new S63 is a KILLER CAR. You're blessed to have one. Stuff just happens sometimes, even $175k cars.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by joemagnani
Four months ago I purchased my 2017 S63. After two weeks the Gears started to go crazy on me, sometimes the car started perfectly and sometimes it went all the way to 3,000 rpm's before moving an inch! I took it to the dealership and they kept it for two weeks. They said it was a gear box software reset problem and now was fixed.

I took the car back but I soon noticed from zero it slowly starts, like if you kept the clutch in and very slowly goes in to gear?

I took the car back but this time I did a asked to do a test drive on another S63 to compare. Well the test drive car was perfect and My car was completely off!!!
From 0-60 the RPM's jump to 4,000 then drop to 2,500 and then go back up.
They took the car back to the shop and it's already been 3 weeks!
They said they ordered a new wet clutch from Germany, but I mean, it's a bran new $175k car, I've own it for only 4 months and has been 5 weeks in the shop!

I really want to go away from AMG!
Considering returning the car and get a PANAMERA TURBO

Has anybody heard a story like mine on a new car?
Talk to an attorney who specializes in lemon law, I think you should qualify with 5 weeks in service.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:40 PM

2017 S63
Thank you all for your time and input:

I'm Going to pick up the Car today, let's see if it works.
I also want to see if they offer me anything?
I've heard other car dealer's offer customers a $500 dls restaurant coupon in cases like this?
If the car is performing I will ask Mercedes to reimburse me one month finance cost.

I will keep you post it and if everything goes wrong I will post names and Dealership location for every one to be aware.

All the best
Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by absent
Talk to an attorney who specializes in lemon law, I think you should qualify with 5 weeks in service.
In some states, if you are given a loaner the time in service doesn't count
Old 11-16-2017, 04:55 PM

2017 S63
Update: This is was a ****ing lemon car! Now My S63 suspension started to crack on the long tight turns (parking) I really hate this car. I went down to Park Place dealership and to return it and offered me to put me in a 2018 S560, they valuate the S63 for trade in as if I was a walking customer! They offered me 105,000 ! The original price was 170,000 (4 months ago) they wanted to hit me with 65,000 dls! They blamed Mercedes for the S63 problems and they said they repair the car at zero cost and it was not their fault.
One month ago I called the sales rep and told him to help me out, I want to place an offer on a 2018 Porsche GT2, I am a good customer, just help me out getting out of this car. He forgot to call me back! That was a $300K plus deal!

So I took the Car to Mercedes Benz Plano Tx and got a better deal and trade in for a 2018 S560 Maybach. I got a hit but I got out of a very bad car. I considered calling my lawyers but I don't have the time or energy.

STAY AWAY from S AMG Wet clutch system and specially stay away from "PARK PLACE group" dealerships (Mercedes Porsche Bentley etc...) They've grown so big they won't mind loosing a customer.
The following users liked this post:
tashkent (02-06-2018)
Old 11-29-2017, 03:09 PM

S63 COUPE
The dealers really do little to help Mercedes customers anymore. There are so many customers buying or wanting to buy a Mercedes now, it feels like Mercedes does not mind losing a couple customers. I have a 2015 S63 coupe. It only has 11,000 miles on it and is black. Because it sits in the sun so much, the leather on the dash started peeling back and the dealer does not want to repair it under warranty. The dealer claims something may have been spilled on it. I know it is just from the heat because I see it shrinking both on the drivers side and passenger side now.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
Originally Posted by BLACKS63COUPE
The dealers really do little to help Mercedes customers anymore. There are so many customers buying or wanting to buy a Mercedes now, it feels like Mercedes does not mind losing a couple customers. I have a 2015 S63 coupe. It only has 11,000 miles on it and is black. Because it sits in the sun so much, the leather on the dash started peeling back and the dealer does not want to repair it under warranty. The dealer claims something may have been spilled on it. I know it is just from the heat because I see it shrinking both on the drivers side and passenger side now.
This happens on my Jag a few years ago. They replaced it with no issue. Go above the dealers head and call MB, I'm sure they'll take care of you. I def wouldn't take their response of it were me.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 PM

S63 COUPE
I hope so.... Waitinng in a response from
MBUSA now...
Old 11-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG GTR
I owned 2 s63 coupes. I’ve had the same problem on my first vehicle, they replace the entire transmission for me and that helped the problem. Most people do get unsteady rpms even when parked. Also feels like something is kicking under your seat. They tried everything valve body etc they even went as far as thinking it was injectors that needed replacing. I’m either way I’m sure if you are persistent enough they will change the transmission. Today unfortunately there are no real mechanic, I call them useless code readers.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 AM

S63 COUPE
Just out of curiosity, why did you get rid of first coupe amg ghost?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by BLACKS63COUPE
Just out of curiosity, why did you get rid of first coupe amg ghost?

because they offered to put me into a 17 at a very low cost and took my car back for a very good price and I was able to spec it out the way I wanted it because the first one “which had problems” was a 2015 and I didn’t place an order for it, so they found one out of province and got it to me. Just as I post this, I just sold my s63, and going into an allocation for a GTR in April. The new s coupes probably will have better transmissions as they are introducing the new 9 speed, and I think it will be a little less clunky than the 7 speed, but too bad they are making them 4 liters

Last edited by amg_ghost; 11-30-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:30 AM

S63 COUPE
The GTR is a beautiful machine.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by joemagnani
Update: This is was a ****ing lemon car! Now My S63 suspension started to crack on the long tight turns (parking) I really hate this car. I went down to Park Place dealership and to return it and offered me to put me in a 2018 S560, they valuate the S63 for trade in as if I was a walking customer! They offered me 105,000 ! The original price was 170,000 (4 months ago) they wanted to hit me with 65,000 dls! They blamed Mercedes for the S63 problems and they said they repair the car at zero cost and it was not their fault.
One month ago I called the sales rep and told him to help me out, I want to place an offer on a 2018 Porsche GT2, I am a good customer, just help me out getting out of this car. He forgot to call me back! That was a $300K plus deal!

So I took the Car to Mercedes Benz Plano Tx and got a better deal and trade in for a 2018 S560 Maybach. I got a hit but I got out of a very bad car. I considered calling my lawyers but I don't have the time or energy.

STAY AWAY from S AMG Wet clutch system and specially stay away from "PARK PLACE group" dealerships (Mercedes Porsche Bentley etc...) They've grown so big they won't mind loosing a customer.
So how do you like the Maybach so far?