MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S63 AMG, S63 AMG 4Matic, S65 AMG (W222, V222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-s63-amg-4matic-s65-amg-w222-v222-192/)
-   -   S63 Transmission Question (https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-s63-amg-4matic-s65-amg-w222-v222/697228-s63-transmission-question.html)

Jond9000 02-01-2018 04:54 PM

S63 Transmission Question

Just took delivery of a 2018 S63 Sedan in Stuttgart and had it shipped back to California. Car now has 900 miles on it and I have noticed since day one a certain hesitation combined with a subtle jerk when driving away from a stop, and during the first-second gear shift, as well as when slowing down to a halt. Any comments/feedback much appreciated. Previously had two W222 S550 sedans, neither of which exhibited that trait. I realize of course the '18 is a different engine and a new transmission. Nonetheless, seems not right to me. Thanks.

Lacas444 02-01-2018 08:49 PM

The 2018 E63 has the same transmission and some people are having the same problem - see this thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ming-stop.html

G8rh8rtampa 02-06-2018 12:06 PM

I have a 2018 s63

I have a 2018 s63 sedan and have not experienced any of those issues. I have about 1200 mies on my car at this point.

Manofsteelpt 02-06-2018 12:41 PM

When it's cold here in Buffalo, it happens to mine too when in "S" mode. Does NOT in "C" mode though. Once the car warms up, it stops.

Jan AMG 02-06-2018 05:06 PM

Normal behaviour of the 7G MCT and 9G MCT.

AMGNEEDSPEED 02-06-2018 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jan AMG (Post 7375242)

Comes standard with the AMG E63 and S63s.

Jond9000 03-14-2018 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jan AMG (Post 7375242)

Interesting. I would think the MB engineers would make a smoother operating transmission. It really is not a smooth operation in the lower gears for slowly accelerating in normal traffic and coming to a stop. I'm learning to live with it and putting it in Sport mode seems to lessen it a bit. The car is amazing except for this MCT transmission issue for me.

GregN 02-05-2023 10:54 AM

I have 2019 and exact same issues.

Did you get any resolve / fix?

superswiss 02-05-2023 11:26 AM

An old thread, but there are several other threads about this. I'll repeat here what has been said many times. The MCT is a performance transmission. Its unique trait is that instead of a torque converter, it has a wet clutch between the engine and transmission. This is done in AMGs for a better response and a more direct feel. It's what you want in a performance car. The MCT combines the best of a manual/dual clutch transmission and the best of an automatic transmission. The downside is low speed driving can be jerky as the clutch has to slip and that will never be as smooth as a torque converter. The MCT does adapt over time and AMG has improved the software in later models. I love the 9-MCT in my 2019 C63S, but it did take a few thousand miles before it fully adapted to my driving style and having driven manual transmissions for most of my live I'm used to modulate the throttle to smooth things out at lower speeds. There were also a couple of software updates for the drivetrain. FWIW, I got one recently after I had a misfire and it further improved the transmission.

GregN 02-05-2023 05:59 PM

Thanks Superwiss- appreciate your input.

Im bringing it to an AMG Dealer in my area...if anything substantial comes of it...I'll report back.

carlosinseattle 02-07-2023 05:34 PM

This sounds like how the older BMW M5 cars drove. My buddy still has his 2008 model, and it's jerky like that. I wanted an M but knew my wife wasn't going for that. Sorry to hear that AMG cars exhibit the same behavior. I'm on this forum because I'm considering buying a used S63.

superpop 02-07-2023 06:02 PM

I can confirm this as well. Just had the 30K service done on my 2019 S63 and the transmission behaves in the same way, even after an adaptation reset as part of the service. There is no way around the aggressive coupling that you get with a double clutch trans and no torque converter. Doesn't bother me much as it is really only jumpy for a minute or two until motor heats up a bit but the wife thinks the car is broken. You cannot beat the very crisp/snappy shifts that you get though in Sport+ mode. It shifts as fast as any modern supercar I have seen. I think some people think this is a docile S Class, It is not, it has some quirks but the performance is awesome for such a big, heavy sedan with a vault like interior.

superswiss 02-07-2023 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by carlosinseattle (Post 8717428)
This sounds like how the older BMW M5 cars drove. My buddy still has his 2008 model, and it's jerky like that. I wanted an M but knew my wife wasn't going for that. Sorry to hear that AMG cars exhibit the same behavior. I'm on this form because I'm considering buying a used S63.

Not quite. The older M5s you speak of had the infamous SMG transmission, which was an automated regular manual transmission and they were jerky as hell due to the interruption of torque during each shift. Dual clutch and the multi clutch in the AMGs shift w/o torque interruption as they simply transition from one gear to another by opening one clutch and closing another simultaneously. The remaining jerkiness simply comes from when torque has to be interrupted in order to come to a stop and then the clutch has to slip as you start moving again. It's just a result of the much more direct coupling and the fact that slipping a clutch is never as smooth as a torque converter.

Such a transmission is admittedly not for everybody, but that doesn't make it bad.

carlosinseattle 02-09-2023 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 8717494)
Not quite. The older M5s you speak of had the infamous SMG transmission, which was an automated regular manual transmission and they were jerky as hell due to the interruption of torque during each shift. Dual clutch and the multi clutch in the AMGs shift w/o torque interruption as they simply transition from one gear to another by opening one clutch and closing another simultaneously. The remaining jerkiness simply comes from when torque has to be interrupted in order to come to a stop and then the clutch has to slip as you start moving again. It's just a result of the much more direct coupling and the fact that slipping a clutch is never as smooth as a torque converter.

Such a transmission is admittedly not for everybody, but that doesn't make it bad.

I plan to go drive a MY18 S63 tomorrow. I'm really interested in how this "feels" from the driver's seat and passenger seats. I'm not as concerned with the mechanical design and execution as I am in how it feels to pilot and ride in one of these cars.

superswiss 02-09-2023 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by carlosinseattle (Post 8718885)
I plan to go drive a MY18 S63 tomorrow. I'm really interested in how this "feels" from the driver's seat and passenger seats. I'm not as concerned with the mechanical design and execution as I am in how it feels to pilot and ride in one of these cars.

Yes, always best to drive one and see if it meets your expectations. Personally, the S63 doesn't make much sense to me outside of the German Autobahn as a really fast travel limo, but I guess it is aimed at people who want a luxury limo, but for whom the regular S is just too soft, uninvolved and boring to drive. AMGs are happier out on the open road than in city and stop&go scenarios.

sambam2006 02-11-2023 08:40 AM

Happens with my 2016 S63. Once I let it warm up for 10-15minutes all is fine afterwards.
I think it's normal behaviour because I had the same issue in my previous AMG models.

Nate Payne 02-27-2023 03:57 PM

My 2017 AMG is in the shop now for those same issues. It is especially pronounced when the vehicle warms up. The Stealership got back to me this morning with the diagnosis....2017 S63 AMG with 80,450 miles needs a new transmission. Quote...$19,249.95.
No World Class vehicle should need a new transmission after 80,450 miles. Especially if it has had all of the recommended services completed at the dealership as mine has.

JohnLane 03-01-2023 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nate Payne (Post 8729678)
My 2017 AMG is in the shop now for those same issues. It is especially pronounced when the vehicle warms up. The Stealership got back to me this morning with the diagnosis....2017 S63 AMG with 80,450 miles needs a new transmission. Quote...$19,249.95.
No World Class vehicle should need a new transmission after 80,450 miles. Especially if it has had all of the recommended services completed at the dealership as mine has.

Good thing you purchased the warranty. Gotta pay to play friend. You could get a low miles used box... but you won’t have to.

Report back when she’s up and running.