Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 S63 vs S65 driving range and ceramic brakes

Old 02-01-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE63 AMG Coupe
2018 S63 vs S65 driving range and ceramic brakes

Ladies and gentlemen,

I’m planning on buying the recently facelifted S63 4Matic+ or the S65 sedans. I pretty much have my mind set on the 65, but am just concerned about driving range. I know fuel economy is plainly bad, and I’ve accepted that and that cost it bears, but I’m not so much ready to accept the inconvenience of having to stop all the time to refuel the car. I often do a 300 kilometer trip from my hometown in Portugal to Lisbon and don’t like the idea of having to stop midway for fuel because I do that trip late at night. So the question is whether or not the 65 can do sufficiently long driving ranges on its tank.

I’m also pondering on getting the ceramic brakes, and am leaning to getting them, but wanted to ask if there are any downsides in your experience?

Finally, 4matic. Can the 65 be driven safely and soundly in rain and snow (with proper tires) in spite of not having fours wheels working?

Besten dank!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
GO FOR IT! Personally, the S63 is faster 0-60, it has AWD, it's less expensive by a lot, so I'd get the S63 for sure but the S65 has that killer rear badging. Oooh lala. In the rain? Shouldn't be an issue. In the snow and ice? Forgetaboutit. If you lived in the Northeast of the US, you'd want the AWD but your area, the S65 will be perfect. You'll be fine on mileage. It's just the cost of doing business. Once you own it, you won't mind filling it up more. You will be the king of the road. Damn, jealous!!! I have a 2002 S63 and will wait till the 2018 S63 is 2 or 3 years old and buy it then for about 40% less than new. I can't afford new. I mean, I could, but it would be stupid for me.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
Speaking for the 63, I get 22-23mpg on the highway. That would easily handle your 300km trip. I drive mine in the snow w A/S tires on it, and I live in Buffalo, NY. In the past, I have had a RWD S63 and CLS63. Threw a set of snow tires on them and they were fine in the winter.

As as for the CCB... I can't really say anything about them except they look cool AF. Past that, I think if you're not tracking it, you prolly don't need them.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
Based on your requirements of better gas mileage, driving conditions and not tracking your car which is done on a race track that requires constant hard braking, I would buy the S63 ( I have the 2017 S63 ) without CCB ( it doesn’t stop better than the red or silver brakes unless your constantly doing hard braking).

The S65 has better exhaust notes than the S63, nothing else justifies the price increase.

Originally Posted by LimaBravo
Ladies and gentlemen,

I’m planning on buying the recently facelifted S63 4Matic+ or the S65 sedans. I pretty much have my mind set on the 65, but am just concerned about driving range. I know fuel economy is plainly bad, and I’ve accepted that and that cost it bears, but I’m not so much ready to accept the inconvenience of having to stop all the time to refuel the car. I often do a 300 kilometer trip from my hometown in Portugal to Lisbon and don’t like the idea of having to stop midway for fuel because I do that trip late at night. So the question is whether or not the 65 can do sufficiently long driving ranges on its tank.

I’m also pondering on getting the ceramic brakes, and am leaning to getting them, but wanted to ask if there are any downsides in your experience?

Finally, 4matic. Can the 65 be driven safely and soundly in rain and snow (with proper tires) in spite of not having fours wheels working?

Besten dank!