Sponsored by:

Best tune?

Old 01-24-2019, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by S63AMG888

Nice. Would you happen to get s before and after dump? Thanks.

Caseyp -

I think that S63AMG888 is asking if you could get a "before tune

dyno" and a "post tune dyno" for comparison -

Most car guys when told you have a ECU tune - their first question

is going to be - "Did you have it dyno'ed before and after"

And everyone will want to know your numbers -

Again - please keep this thread updated -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by Caseyp
OK, all. Talked to Solomon and the tune is in process. He is sending me a handheld tuner. I will upload the contents of my ECU into it, email it back to him. He will do the new tune and email it back to me for download. I will also keep the original tune so I can download if there is ever a problem. He also warranties the entire engine if there is ever a failure attributed to the program. All for only $2400. Best part is that there is no down time while I am waiting for a tune.

Are you the person from Battle Ground who has

a set of 2006(?) OEM SL65 AMG wheels which came

painted from the factory - rare - for sale -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
S63
Anyone have extended miles on their tune? I'm concerned about the driveline with the increased power levels over time, my car is out of warranty. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by COOPERDB
`

Caseyp -

I think that S63AMG888 is asking if you could get a "before tune

dyno" and a "post tune dyno" for comparison -

Most car guys when told you have a ECU tune - their first question

is going to be - "Did you have it dyno'ed before and after"

And everyone will want to know your numbers -

Again - please keep this thread updated -

Thank-You
D.B.

Yeah, sorry I meant dyno, don’t know how it came out to dump. Lol.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 Mercedes S63 4matic sedan
I have talked extensively with my dealership about the Renntech products they push. I have talked to the tech that is the main tech who works on all AMG products and does the Renntech modifications. I have also talked to my service writer, and the Renntech representative. All have stated they have never ran into any failures, except one. The one failure had to do with the engine. It was my understanding that they submitted a claim to Mercedes on the engine. Mercedes covered everything. At that point, the customer decided to do the Renntech turbo upgrade since Mercedes was paying for everything. The customer essentially only had to purchase the Renntech parts, no labor. I had kept enquiring about the drivetrain failing due to the significant torque loads after the mods. They still claim no driveline failures. Everyone I have talked to, also said the same thing. If something ugly should happen, they would do everything they could to help and get things covered under warranty. However according to them, they have only encountered one such failure, and that was a customers engine and they were able to get it warrantied. I just enquired two days ago, about the total labor with parts for a Renntech R2 package with there down pipes. Complete total for everything was $22,000.00 (rounding up). Total time to perform the work is one week. Only thing not in stock was the mufflers. Really contemplating this for summer or right before summer. Would be amazing at car shows, lol. I do not think there are many S class's out there that are tuned. Most of those people I feel really don't do much to that particular model. More people mod the C and E class. I continue to ask questions. It does not hurt to try and gather as much info as possible. Hopefully the dealer is being truthful, however three different people have said pretty much the same thing. Of course the tech is more technical. Everyone knows I work on cars so I understand the technical side, probably more so than most people. Plus I feel my questions are more in depth compared to what a normal person is going to ask. All the people that I have dealt with have told me, they have never had a customer enquire about things that I am asking. Which they thought was great. Most people just walk in I guess and just say I want this done, pay and leave. I would rather be informed with as much knowledge as possible, before spending a very large sum of money.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by barryrobinson19
I have talked extensively with my dealership about the Renntech products they push. I have talked to the tech that is the main tech who works on all AMG products and does the Renntech modifications. I have also talked to my service writer, and the Renntech representative. All have stated they have never ran into any failures, except one. The one failure had to do with the engine. It was my understanding that they submitted a claim to Mercedes on the engine. Mercedes covered everything. At that point, the customer decided to do the Renntech turbo upgrade since Mercedes was paying for everything. The customer essentially only had to purchase the Renntech parts, no labor. I had kept enquiring about the drivetrain failing due to the significant torque loads after the mods. They still claim no driveline failures. Everyone I have talked to, also said the same thing. If something ugly should happen, they would do everything they could to help and get things covered under warranty. However according to them, they have only encountered one such failure, and that was a customers engine and they were able to get it warrantied. I just enquired two days ago, about the total labor with parts for a Renntech R2 package with there down pipes. Complete total for everything was $22,000.00 (rounding up). Total time to perform the work is one week. Only thing not in stock was the mufflers. Really contemplating this for summer or right before summer. Would be amazing at car shows, lol. I do not think there are many S class's out there that are tuned. Most of those people I feel really don't do much to that particular model. More people mod the C and E class. I continue to ask questions. It does not hurt to try and gather as much info as possible. Hopefully the dealer is being truthful, however three different people have said pretty much the same thing. Of course the tech is more technical. Everyone knows I work on cars so I understand the technical side, probably more so than most people. Plus I feel my questions are more in depth compared to what a normal person is going to ask. All the people that I have dealt with have told me, they have never had a customer enquire about things that I am asking. Which they thought was great. Most people just walk in I guess and just say I want this done, pay and leave. I would rather be informed with as much knowledge as possible, before spending a very large sum of money.
Careful!
MBUSA covers everything as long as they don't know about the mods.
I will recall (again) my case, SL65 had handling problems (later found out new tires were the culprit) and my tech at the dealer (who installed the Diff, exhaust, ECU) thought it was the differential at fault.
When they took it apart there was nothing wrong with it but a service rep from MB happened to visit at the same time and they asked him to consult on the handling problems, one of the service advisors (a new guy just started the day before) opened his mouth and bragged to him that the car had way more power then stock.
That was the end of it, my car was immediately slapped with Status 8 and All warranty work was denied.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes AMG S65
I don't have any wheels for sale, DB. And I don't plan to do a dyno run on my car. I'm already having 2nd thoughts about the tune. I took delivery of the car last night and drove it for the first time. It's an animal. Breaks the tires loose with ease until about 40 mph or so. Reminiscent of a friend's SL 65 Black that I drove. Pull out to pass on a country road, stab it and the tires break loose so it's hard to keep from going off the road. Scary. Basically unmanageable with all of that power. I knew the car has that problem since I owned one in 2007. I can live with it and look forward to enjoying the extra power in the mid-range, but I really don't care what the HP and Torque figures are. I also owned an SL65 back in 2006 and had the same problem with it. I would have opted for an S63 with the 4WD but wanted to have one of the last V12s. I'm sure they won't be around much longer. I also purchased the lowering kit from Renntech and I'm looking forward to the easy install now provided with the OBD insert they now provide. I'll report back on everything when it's done; probably late next week. Could be that better tires will help some. The tires on the car are probably the original 20" Continentals,4 years old with 9,800 miles on them. Any recommendations for stickier tires?

Last edited by Caseyp; 01-25-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added text
Old 01-26-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Caseyp, please get the tune! I have a 2015 S65 stock. I also had a 2006 S65 with a Eurocharged tune. The 2006 was noticeably faster with the tune. The 2015 stock has a much better factory tune plus a 7 speed, It performs essentially equal to the tuned 2006. So I am very curious to hear your opinion before and after a tune on your 2015 S65. I also have a new SL65, it is way faster than the S65 for three reasons. It is 600 pounds lighter, has a limited slip differential and a 10% shorter final drive ratio.
Both of these cars have Conti 5P's. They seem to have good traction at launch. I use 36psi cold in the rears. For the driving you are doing swapping in a Quaife LSD might be the best improvement. The LSD in the SL65 makes a big difference in low speed traction and in minimizing traction control engagement.
Earlier this year I was able to do 5 laps of Laguna Seca in a new SL63 (and a lot of other new AMG's.) It was a great car but convinced me I made the right choice for myself in getting the SL65.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
Originally Posted by absent
Careful!
MBUSA covers everything as long as they don't know about the mods.
I will recall (again) my case, SL65 had handling problems (later found out new tires were the culprit) and my tech at the dealer (who installed the Diff, exhaust, ECU) thought it was the differential at fault.
When they took it apart there was nothing wrong with it but a service rep from MB happened to visit at the same time and they asked him to consult on the handling problems, one of the service advisors (a new guy just started the day before) opened his mouth and bragged to him that the car had way more power then stock.
That was the end of it, my car was immediately slapped with Status 8 and All warranty work was denied.
It’s funny man. I’m very new here and I only joined to inquire/ learn about tunes. Every single thread I found on the subject there is always some enthusiastic and very excited person talking about their particular tune or someone else’s followed by some remarkably pessimistic downer warning about the the horror stories, pitfalls and scandals of tuning. Lol. Seriously look into it. Almost every thread on the subject is like that. Meanwhile Renntech has sales people in dozens of Mercedes Benz dealerships selling tunes. Go figure. The inconsistency of this subject is mind-boggling. One would almost think government was in charge of it.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile

Originally Posted by Patton250

It’s funny man. I’m very new here and I only joined to inquire/ learn about tunes. Every single thread I found on the subject there is always some enthusiastic and very excited person talking about their particular tune or someone else’s followed by some remarkably pessimistic downer warning about the the horror stories, pitfalls and scandals of tuning. Lol. Seriously look into it. Almost every thread on the subject is like that. Meanwhile Renntech has sales people in dozens of Mercedes Benz dealerships selling tunes. Go figure. The inconsistency of this subject is mind-boggling. One would almost think government was in charge of it.
Well, not meant to scare you, just warning not to fully trust whatever the dealer promises, you have to be aware what can or may happen and it does, sometimes not their fault, just because of unfortunate coincidence or a stupid new employee yapping his mouth to the wrong guy.
I have owned over 20 different AMGs in the past 19 years and tuned ALL of them, most with Renntech (still consider them to be the most reliable in this business) , some with Kleemann and one car (S600) with Brabus.
That one case of lost warranty did not slow me one bit, had a laugh about it with the GM and free labor on my tune they were doing at the time on my wife's G55.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:46 PM

2016 C450
Well, not meant to scare you, just warning not to fully trust whatever the dealer promises, you have to be aware what can or may happen and it does, sometimes not their fault, just because of unfortunate coincidence or a stupid new employee yapping his mouth to the wrong guy.
I have owned over 20 different AMGs in the past 19 years and tuned ALL of them, most with Renntech (still consider them to be the most reliable in this business) , some with Kleemann and one car (S600) with Brabus.
That one case of lost warranty did not slow me one bit, had a laugh about it with the GM and free labor on my tune they were doing at the time on my wife's G55.
If the dealership flagged my car to be out of warranty after they sold me the tune I would park my car in their show room along with the bank note. I would then introduce myself to the official from Mercedes that was there that made the decision and inform them how many AMG’s I bought over the years. Two weeks later I would meet up with him in my brand new BMW.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the dealership flagged my car to be out of warranty after they sold me the tune I would park my car in their show room along with the bank note. I would then introduce myself to the official from Mercedes that was there that made the decision and inform them how many AMG’s I bought over the years. Two weeks later I would meet up with him in my brand new BMW.
By all means, if that would make you happy.
Personally, I look at it long term and good will goes a long way, a good relationship with a dealer is worth to me much more then a lost warranty on a car I would get rid off within months anyway.
Service available to me anytime I want, a loaner not from loaner fleet but a new S-Class or AMG from their lot, any new car that I want bypassing any waiting list, these are intangible benefits I would not want to lose.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Personally, I look at it long term and good will goes a long way, a good relationship with a dealer is worth to me much more then a lost warranty on a car I would get rid off within months anyway.
Service available to me anytime I want, a loaner not from loaner fleet but a new S-Class or AMG from their lot, any new car that I want bypassing any waiting list, these are intangible benefits I would not want to lose.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:47 AM

2016 C450
I have that relationship with my dealer. They know I have a tune on my car. I am covered 100% no matter what happens. That’s not the point. You’re making it sound like a dealership will sell you a tune and then get you into trouble with Mercedes and lose your warranty. That’s powerfully unethical. That’s all I’m saying.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have that relationship with my dealer. They know I have a tune on my car. I am covered 100% no matter what happens. That’s not the point. You’re making it sound like a dealership will sell you a tune and then get you into trouble with Mercedes and lose your warranty. That’s powerfully unethical. That’s all I’m saying.
Wasn't their fault, new guy was just stupid.
They got rid of him at the first opportunity that presented itself.
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 04:46 PM

2014 s63
Just had tune done by Eurocharge in Houston a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. I get my S63 dyno’d this week and will post the results.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Mercedes AMG S65
Hi Tom, Thanks for the encouragement. I am waiting, as I type, for the lowering module from Renntech. I'm also waiting for the tuning controller from Solomon at Eurotuned to upload and send back what is currently in the ECU. I'll be interested to see what's in the ECU because the car just rips the tires off in low gears. I'm suspicious that the previous owner may have tend the car since had had installed a K40 system with all the bells and whistles. I'm sure Solomon will know as soon as he sees the current program. I bought a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's and they should be delivered this week. I'll reprot back on everything as soon as all is done.

Caseyp
Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Our E63S has Michelin PS 4S tires. The S65 and SL65 have Conti 5P’s. While the cars are different I do not think there is a significant difference in the two tires.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:51 PM

Mercedes AMG S65
Originally Posted by Quadrobenz
Our E63S has Michelin PS 4S tires. The S65 and SL65 have Conti 5P’s. While the cars are different I do not think there is a significant difference in the two tires.
Tom, That's exactly what I ended up with. I bought them 2 days ago (Michelin PS 4S tires) and having them installed on Friday. Better rain performance than the PS2s.

Casey
Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 PM

Mercedes AMG S65
Hi All, I have decided to do a baseline Dyno pull and a final on the Eurocharged Tune. I will let you all know how it turns out. The lowering module from Renntech worked like magic. Less than 5 minutes and the car was lowered. I have decided to go a bit lower on the front but haven't had the time to do it yet.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:29 PM

2014 s63
Dyno 2014 s63

Dyno with renntech down pipes, exhaust and eurocharged stage 2. I didn’t get a dyno before everything was added so can’t get a true number or hp gained. 2014 S63 says 577HP but not sure how much is lost with drive train lose.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM

Mercedes AMG S65
DB, Took your advice and decided to get the before and after Dyno. I'll let you know how it turns out. Also opted for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Did the first Dyno run yesterday but lots of tire slippage. Best run was 558 HP and 710 Torque. We'll try it again with new tires and stock tune before I put the new tune in. More to follow.

Caseyp
Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 PM

Mercedes AMG S65
Tom, I don't know what a Quaife LSD is. I would have figured that a car like this already has a limited slip differential. Please enlighten me and let me know what the cost is.

Caseyp
Old 01-30-2019, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by Caseyp
DB, Took your advice and decided to get the before and after Dyno. I'll let you know how it turns out. Also opted for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Did the first Dyno run yesterday but lots of tire slippage. Best run was 558 HP and 710 Torque. We'll try it again with new tires and stock tune before I put the new tune in. More to follow.

Caseyp

The Pilot Sports 4s will make a huge difference -

On the road and on the dyno -

Keep this thread updated -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:21 PM

Mercedes AMG S65
Will do. I also bought the latest Renntech module to lower the car. Amazing; not cheap, but able to work it from in the car and adjust the car using the car's Command system. Plug it in, the system recognizes the modules and allows the adjustment of the ride height for front pair and rear pair in seconds. Also, my guy who did the Dyno run talked with the guys at Eurocharged and confirmed the numbers we got yesterday for the baseline. I guess the factory just doesn't tune up the S65 as aggressively as they do the 4 liter V8. But 580 HP and 710 ft lbs at the wheels is pretty good, I think. As soon as the programmer from Eurocharged arrives, I'll upload the current ECU program and send it off to Solomon. He'll turn it around in 2 hours and send it back. I'll then download it into the car. After a day or two with the new Pilot Sport 4s I'll head back for the Dyno run for the new tune.

Last edited by Caseyp; 01-30-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added text

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best tune?