S63 AMG, S63 AMG 4Matic, S65 AMG (W222, V222) 2014 -2021
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I guess I'm not switching to the gold ceramic brakes on my 18 S63...

Old 05-24-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
So I guess I'm not switching to the gold ceramic brakes on my 18 S63...

I was slightly looking into switching to the gold colored carbon ceramic brakes for my 2018 S63 since the brake dust is negligible with them vs. the red ones I have now that really create a lot of brake dust. I called a dealer to inquire as to what the pricing would be. I figured about 10k or so for these plus labor to install, I really had no idea.

They finally came back on the phone and said that if I buy them, they won't install them, they're not allowed since they'd be "aftermarket parts at that point". ??? Ok, no problem I thought. I could buy them depending on price and have an aftermarket shop put them on. Then they switched me to the parts dept and they firmly said... it would ABSOLUTELY invalidate my MB warranty in full. MB will literally cover nothing on the car if I do this. Really? I then said to myself - "self, you just saved $10-15k in less than 30 minutes. It's a great day, and you'll just have to deal with red brakes and lots of break dust". Que sera sera.

I thought this look would be pretty cool, but it can't happen now.

Last edited by stever500; 05-24-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Cool story )
Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 Mercedes S63 4matic sedan
Have you inquired with another Mercedes dealer? Possibly on line. There is zero brake dust. This is our first vehicle with ceramics. They are incredible. I did talk to one of the techs at the local dealer I use. I asked how long the brakes should last (with no track days), he replied that he has never performed a brake job on a Mercedes with the ceramic brake option, ever. Just enjoy the vehicle and have fun.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 PM

I guess I'll call another dealer then... someone else just told me that it would NOT void the warranty after all! That's just crazy. Why would this San Diego dealer I called so sure of that fact? My local dealers were closed when I called so I called across the US since they were still open. I guess it's about $13k or so for the brakes plus ... gulp... labor. I'll really have to think about it. One of the reasons I wanted them is the pics you posted of your car a few months ago. When I first saw them I thought... WOW, nice!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I am not sure how much confidence I would have in your MB dealer. Virtually all information given is incorrect.
1. CCB's can be retrofit as a plug-n-play upgrade if you can handle the costs. While they are only a $9k option the actual complete brake set will run you more like $15k plus labor.
2. Whole MB warranty will not be void. Dumbest thing I have heard. This is legally not even possible. MB can void the warranty of certain parts of the car if they have been modified by 3rd parties, such as engines with ECU tunes, turbo upgrades, exhaust systems. Yours would actually be a stock car in a way as it is order able as modified.
3. Installing the CCB's with factory MB parts (made by Brembo AFAIK) is not aftermarket. It can impact the factory warranty (4yr/50k) as it relates to brakes since those would only be covered by a parts warranty.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 PM

Thanks Stever500. We truly love the car. Doing little things at a time. One day, kapow, Renntech upgrades. The reason being, my dealer really pushes there products and they stand behind everything. Of course I will be asking more questions when the time comes. Have fun.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I am not sure how much confidence I would have in your MB dealer. Virtually all information given is incorrect.
1. CCB's can be retrofit as a plug-n-play upgrade if you can handle the costs. While they are only a $9k option the actual complete brake set will run you more like $15k plus labor.
2. Whole MB warranty will not be void. Dumbest thing I have heard. This is legally not even possible. MB can void the warranty of certain parts of the car if they have been modified by 3rd parties, such as engines with ECU tunes, turbo upgrades, exhaust systems. Yours would actually be a stock car in a way as it is order able as modified.
3. Installing the CCB's with factory MB parts (made by Brembo AFAIK) is not aftermarket. It can impact the factory warranty (4yr/50k) as it relates to brakes since those would only be covered by a parts warranty.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This was a west coast MB dealership that gave you

the information in your first post???

Would you mind posting the dealerships name -

http://www.mercteil.com/en/products/...lass-w222-c217

It will cost at the dealer plus install but the service comes with the parts/service warranty -

If you are not tracking the car the CCB's will last forever -

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Old 05-26-2018, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by stever500
I was slightly looking into switching to the gold colored carbon ceramic brakes for my 2018 S63 since the brake dust is negligible with them vs. the red ones I have now that really create a lot of brake dust. I called a dealer to inquire as to what the pricing would be. I figured about 10k or so for these plus labor to install, I really had no idea.

They finally came back on the phone and said that if I buy them, they won't install them, they're not allowed since they'd be "aftermarket parts at that point". ??? Ok, no problem I thought. I could buy them depending on price and have an aftermarket shop put them on. Then they switched me to the parts dept and they firmly said... it would ABSOLUTELY invalidate my MB warranty in full. MB will literally cover nothing on the car if I do this. Really? I then said to myself - "self, you just saved $10-15k in less than 30 minutes. It's a great day, and you'll just have to deal with red brakes and lots of break dust". Que sera sera.

I thought this look would be pretty cool, but it can't happen now.

My friend. If the only reason to upgrade to the ccb brakes is for the looks and less brake dust on the wheels, this is the most expensive and the wrong way.

First, the dealer that told you it couldn't be done and it will void warranty does not know what he or she is talking about.

Second. You do not want the ccb for a daily driver that you will not track on the race tracks because the ccb though it looks nice, it will squeak when cold or not optimal heat to make useful ccb system.

Third. Get some awesome aftermarket brake pads like these:

http://www.world-motorsports.com/rad...rake-pads.html

and you will have 7-10 days of wash free wheels that will look like it was washed yesterday and the brake dusk that does get on the wheels are easily wiped off.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by S63AMG888
My friend. If the only reason to upgrade to the ccb brakes is for the looks and less brake dust on the wheels, this is the most expensive and the wrong way.

First, the dealer that told you it couldn't be done and it will void warranty does not know what he or she is talking about.

Second. You do not want the ccb for a daily driver that you will not track on the race tracks because the ccb though it looks nice, it will squeak when cold or not optimal heat to make useful ccb system.

Third. Get some awesome aftermarket brake pads like these:

http://www.world-motorsports.com/rad...rake-pads.html

and you will have 7-10 days of wash free wheels that will look like it was washed yesterday and the brake dusk that does get on the wheels are easily wiped off.

Good luck.
CCB’s are definitely good for the track but also practical for a DD.
We have zero squeak on ours but our steels on the SL do squeak.
I see zero disadvantage over steels other than cost.
Let’s also keep in mind that AMG multi-piece steel rotors are quite costly and last only a fraction of the miles (street driving) vs. CCB’s
In short, no reason not to upgrade if you like it.

That said, if ceramic brake pads are available for your brakes it is the low cost way to go to great effect.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

Let’s also keep in mind that AMG multi-piece steel rotors are quite costly and last only a fraction of the miles (street driving) vs. CCB’s

That said, if ceramic brake pads are available for your brakes it is the low cost way to go to great effect.

You stole my thunder, said all I wanted to say.
CCBs are less prone to squeaking then steels, all they need though is a proper bedding when new.
You do that religiously and you will never have any issues with them.
My current daily driver is since 2007 my 12th car with ceramics, I order them on every car possible because of the great experience I always had with them.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by absent
You stole my thunder, said all I wanted to say.
CCBs are less prone to squeaking then steels, all they need though is a proper bedding when new.
You do that religiously and you will never have any issues with them.
My current daily driver is since 2007 my 12th car with ceramics, I order them on every car possible because of the great experience I always had with them.
Most recent bedding advice says drive car "normally" for 500 miles then start the real bedding process - do you agree?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Can you please be more specific about the proper bedding? Thanks
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by jenz
Most recent bedding advice says drive car "normally" for 500 miles then start the real bedding process - do you agree?
Have not heard that.
There is a good instruction provided by Mclaren, better then in my own words:
Old 05-27-2018, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon

Let me rephrase my answer. OP's car did not come with CCB and wanted to upgrade them to CCB for the looks and brake dusts. The CCB upgrades parts and labor will be $15-20k. Now on steel rotors. one can go about 60,000 miles before needing replacement so the cost is on the steel brakes will out last most car ownership say 2 sets of rotor replacements that cost $3,000 a set of front and rear rotors plus new pads and labor and 2 sets of steel rotors and pads are $5,000 plus labor and will last 120,000 miles for only $6,000 for "2" sets of front and rear rotors and pads vs. $15-20K for outright purchase and install.

I've read on MBworld somewhere the CCB does make noise, but I guess it was the draw of bad luck? To answer the OP question, it is not worth the upgrade to CCB from steel brakes if your car was built with it.

A dust free ( low ) brake pads will solve the brake dust issue and better performance imho.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Some people say upgrading to CCB is worth for the looks alone
Old 05-27-2018, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

True, but it my is opinion GiroDisc and dust free brake pads for about $3,000is the best vs 15-20k for the CCB installed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...pads-pics.html

You can be the judge.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Can't judge - I bought another CLS63S AMG just to upgrade to CCB - I wanted them so much for the performance and unsprung weight that I had to have them. So far, after a year or so, I'm happy with the decision.

I'm about to buy a 2018/2019 S63 Cab and given how the A217 eats steel rotors when you drive dynamically, it has to have CCB again.

If the OP drives in similar conditions like I do in the Alps and on the autobahn often, he'll be happy with them too.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by S63AMG888
Let me rephrase my answer. OP's car did not come with CCB and wanted to upgrade them to CCB for the looks and brake dusts. The CCB upgrades parts and labor will be $15-20k. Now on steel rotors. one can go about 60,000 miles before needing replacement so the cost is on the steel brakes will out last most car ownership say 2 sets of rotor replacements that cost $3,000 a set of front and rear rotors plus new pads and labor and 2 sets of steel rotors and pads are $5,000 plus labor and will last 120,000 miles for only $6,000 for "2" sets of front and rear rotors and pads vs. $15-20K for outright purchase and install.

I've read on MBworld somewhere the CCB does make noise, but I guess it was the draw of bad luck? To answer the OP question, it is not worth the upgrade to CCB from steel brakes if your car was built with it.

A dust free ( low ) brake pads will solve the brake dust issue and better performance imho.
I understand your rationale for ceramic brake pads against brake dust. Hate the dirty wheels as well and it is the best bang for the buck if they make the actual pads you need. Had them on our old SL600. Braking performance was slightly diminished. Great if that changed...
I took issue with the comment that steels are somewhat better for DD’s and noise. That is simply not the case. More expensive, sure, but that wasn’t the topic of the thread.
If you can make the steel rotors last 60,000 miles I commend you! The way I drive I get about 30k miles out of them. When living in Switzerland, along with high speed travel in Germany we went through at least 1-2 set of rotors a year.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM

I just wanted to note, as for noise. During the summer here in the Midwest, no noise at all. During the winter months, a tiny bit of squeak every now and then. I found a service bulletin years ago, which I had my local dealer perform. Mercedes came out with an improved pad due to noises. At first the dealer new nothing about such a bulletin, however I came across the bulletin number and a Mercedes tech that frequents the forums got me some part numbers. I went to my dealer and they ordered the parts and performed the bulletin. They were in shock that I had all this info. I think at first they were playing stupid, however after showing up with all the information, they did the work no questions asked. The car has been fantastic. Boy, the stopping power and pedal feel is amazing. When you want to stop, your going to stop.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by barryrobinson19
I just wanted to note, as for noise. During the summer here in the Midwest, no noise at all. During the winter months, a tiny bit of squeak every now and then. I found a service bulletin years ago, which I had my local dealer perform. Mercedes came out with an improved pad due to noises. At first the dealer new nothing about such a bulletin, however I came across the bulletin number and a Mercedes tech that frequents the forums got me some part numbers. I went to my dealer and they ordered the parts and performed the bulletin. They were in shock that I had all this info. I think at first they were playing stupid, however after showing up with all the information, they did the work no questions asked. The car has been fantastic. Boy, the stopping power and pedal feel is amazing. When you want to stop, your going to stop.
Would you be kind enough to find that bulletin reference for us?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by COOPERDB
`

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This was a west coast MB dealership that gave you

the information in your first post???

Would you mind posting the dealerships name -

http://www.mercteil.com/en/products/...lass-w222-c217

It will cost at the dealer plus install but the service comes with the parts/service warranty -

If you are not tracking the car the CCB's will last forever -

Thank-You
D.B.

`
Yes, I just picked up the phone and called SAN DIEGO MERCEDES. The guy SWORE it would completely invalidate the car's warranty, that his dealership certainly wouldn't install the brakes if I bought then and they are called AFTERMARKET BRAKES, even though MB sells them on the car new. I'm not going to say... that he was an idiot. I would never do this. ... ever.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:18 PM

Thx everyone. Yeah, I called my local dealer and was told - unless I have a VIN # for a car with them on the car they can't even give me a price for Carbon Ceramic Brakes. Really? They make it so hard to buy stuff sometimes. They suggested calling MB so I called the national #, was put on hold by 3 separate groups and finally just gave up and hung up after 10 minutes on hold listening to music. Pretty pathetic.

So I read your messages and realized I don't really want to spend $15-20k out of pocket to get those beautiful, cool, high end CCB's for my car. But... brake ceramic brake pads, I guess that would be much more cost efficient so I emailed World Motorsports to make sure they offer these for a 2018 S63 (RADO AMG DUST FREE REAR BRAKE PADS), how much they'll cost for front and rears, and if they end up squeaking, what are my return options. One thing I won't tolerate in a car ever again, is incessant squealing brakes. I can't handle it. It drives me totally crazy.

I'll report back!

Steve
Old 05-27-2018, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thx everyone. Yeah, I called my local dealer and was told - unless I have a VIN # for a car with them on the car they can't even give me a price for Carbon Ceramic Brakes. Really? They make it so hard to buy stuff sometimes. They suggested calling MB so I called the national #, was put on hold by 3 separate groups and finally just gave up and hung up after 10 minutes on hold listening to music. Pretty pathetic.

So I read your messages and realized I don't really want to spend $15-20k out of pocket to get those beautiful, cool, high end CCB's for my car. But... brake ceramic brake pads, I guess that would be much more cost efficient so I emailed World Motorsports to make sure they offer these for a 2018 S63 (RADO AMG DUST FREE REAR BRAKE PADS), how much they'll cost for front and rears, and if they end up squeaking, what are my return options. One thing I won't tolerate in a car ever again, is incessant squealing brakes. I can't handle it. It drives me totally crazy.

I'll report back!

Steve
I had the first batch of the Rado dust free ( low ) front and rear pads and love them on my old E63s. I will certainly be getting them when my OEM is due. The performance is better than OEM and less dust. NO squeaking the 15,000 miles I had them before it being sold to make room for the S63.

Email Cpaisley@world-racing.com

He'll hook you up.

Enjoy.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 PM

Jan AMG, I will see what I can do. I am afraid that may be impossible for me to get the bulletin number again. I am an automotive technician by trade and have been working for Lexus for 25 years. We use a website called Alldata. The dealer pays for there subscription. Anyways periodically I will look up service bulletins for all of our vehicles. I came across the service bulletin, then enquired with my local dealer. They were playing dumb about it. I then searched again for the bulletin and it was removed from Alldata. Weird huh. Somehow a Mercedes tech who frequents these forums, private messaged me about the bulletin. I printed out everything and took it to my dealer. They said they have never seen or heard of that bulletin, however they did what I asked under good will, since I complained about it before when I was in warranty. The bulletin is only under warranty for one year and I think 10,000 miles, after that it would be customer pay. So I got the updated/redesigned brake pads for the CCB. I will try tomorrow for you and check, however I can not guarantee anything. It is so weird that the bulletin was there one week and then gone. For the most part the CCB's are quiet and they look incredible. When I go to Cars and Coffee, people are sometimes taking pictures of the brakes in addition to photos of the car inside and out. I was at an even on Sunday morning.
The following users liked this post:
Jan AMG (06-09-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 04:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
G Wagon

I'll report back!

Steve
Hi Steve,

We have a price for W222 CCB kit, actually it fits all S63/S65 models.
It also fits S500 but front hub bearing should be modified or changed to AMG one (due to the different location of hole to fix the rotor on hub)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I guess I'm not switching to the gold ceramic brakes on my 18 S63...