S63 Exhaust pop/crackle sound info?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
S63 Exhaust pop/crackle sound info?

I have a 2015 S63 and compared to the 2018 S63. The older S63 exhaust isn’t as noticeable loud and have that pop/crackle sound like the newer models. So I’m curious if anyone have any info on how to get that exhaust to sound like the face lift S63’s? Is it a software that does that or a combination of the performance exhaust and software?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Sounds great
Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 Mercedes S63 4matic sedan
Renntech has some nice exhaust pieces and sound clips on there web site. I was recently quoted at my local dealer for the Renntech R2package and the cats, around $11,200.00 not including tax. I hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by barryrobinson19
Renntech has some nice exhaust pieces and sound clips on there web site. I was recently quoted at my local dealer for the Renntech R2package and the cats, around $11,200.00 not including tax. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I have heard of Renntech. But I’m just looking to achieve that stock pop/crackle sound w/out having to replace all those parts. I was hoping I could get that sound from an ECU update/tune? I’ve heard some C63s who did an factory ECU update and got their exhaust pop/crackle sounding louder and even more noticeable.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Funny you asked. I was test driving MY17 S63 with the shop foreman yesterday to try to reduplicate a hissing sound coming from the driver side front window ( window molding need to be replaced under warranty ) and asked him the same thing. From my understanding, it’s a combination of exhaust cut off valve and the software that controls the valve to open/close. I should know more next week as the foreman is checking on this for me.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
Funny you asked. I was test driving MY17 S63 with the shop foreman yesterday to try to reduplicate a hissing sound coming from the driver side front window ( window molding need to be replaced under warranty ) and asked him the same thing. From my understanding, it’s a combination of exhaust cut off valve and the software that controls the valve to open/close. I should know more next week as the foreman is checking on this for me.
Nice! I’m hoping this is possible to do. Can’t wait to hear what your foreman has to say.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 S63 Cab
You might call Weistec in Anaheim.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by phatisfy

Nice! I’m hoping this is possible to do. Can’t wait to hear what your foreman has to say.
Yes, it would be really nice. It is my understanding that it’s the electronic valve that makes the pop. I even discussed with the foreman if it’s possible to have an on and off button to active the valve if doing software route to active or defective the performance exhaust was not possible. Will PM when I hear back.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class

Yes, it would be really nice. It is my understanding that it’s the electronic valve that makes the pop. I even discussed with the foreman if it’s possible to have an on and off button to active the valve if doing software route to active or defective the performance exhaust was not possible. Will PM when I hear back.
Thank you!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2105 S63 Full Carbon - 2018 GTR

subscribed! **missing popcorn emoji!**
Old 10-20-2018, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry guys for the late post. Results are in. According to my shop foreman, the M157 S63 exhausts can get the sound and performance of the +MY18 S63 ( 4.0tt ) with performance exhaust, there are 2 options.

1: The MY17 S63 ( 5.5tt ) has one flap opening on each side of the muffler as oppose to 2 flaps opening for the 2018 S63 ( 4.0tt ) on each side. In order to go all OEM for the MY18 S63 FULL exhaust, you should expect the Mercedes’s super tax of $4,848.75. I asked and as stated early in my post is that the actual performance exhaust is ONLY the 2 mufflers ( 2 flaps on each side of the muffler for the 4.0tt MY18 S63 where as our M157 5.5tt has only 1 flap on each side of the muffler ), but the dealer can only sell the entire exhaust system from a 2018 S63 with performance exhaust.

2: Foreman recommend that I go to find a reputable exhaust shop and ask them to add a valve control to my exhaust system and the result would be very similar, but adding the exhaust valve control to the muffler will result in very similar tone as the 4.0tt MY18 S63 except our 5.5tt S63 will be slightly louder because of the larger engine displacement or one can add the exhaust valve control directly where the downpipes are located, but you will hear droning and have the exhaust fumes inside the car when it’s on ( exhaust valve), but noticeable fast speed ( performance).

Both options will need an added feature of on and off button to open and close the flaps, but it can be done easily.

Thinking of going with option 2 for obvious reason. I will be traveling in the next 2-3 weeks and wouldn’t be able to visit a exhaust shop until I get back. If any one also plans on going this route, please post your findings when you visit your exhaust shop.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Sorry guys for the late post. Results are in. According to my shop foreman, the M157 S63 exhausts can get the sound and performance of the +MY18 S63 ( 4.0tt ) with performance exhaust, there are 2 options.

1: The MY17 S63 ( 5.5tt ) has one flap opening on each side of the muffler as oppose to 2 flaps opening for the 2018 S63 ( 4.0tt ) on each side. In order to go all OEM for the MY18 S63 FULL exhaust, you should expect the Mercedes’s super tax of $4,848.75. I asked and as stated early in my post is that the actual performance exhaust is ONLY the 2 mufflers ( 2 flaps on each side of the muffler for the 4.0tt MY18 S63 where as our M157 5.5tt has only 1 flap on each side of the muffler ), but the dealer can only sell the entire exhaust system from a 2018 S63 with performance exhaust.

2: Foreman recommend that I go to find a reputable exhaust shop and ask them to add a valve control to my exhaust system and the result would be very similar, but adding the exhaust valve control to the muffler will result in very similar tone as the 4.0tt MY18 S63 except our 5.5tt S63 will be slightly louder because of the larger engine displacement or one can add the exhaust valve control directly where the downpipes are located, but you will hear droning and have the exhaust fumes inside the car when it’s on ( exhaust valve), but noticeable fast speed ( performance).

Both options will need an added feature of on and off button to open and close the flaps, but it can be done easily.

Thinking of going with option 2 for obvious reason. I will be traveling in the next 2-3 weeks and wouldn’t be able to visit a exhaust shop until I get back. If any one also plans on going this route, please post your findings when you visit your exhaust shop.

Thanks.
Thank you very much for the very informative info! So from my understanding. The ecu has nothing to do with the pop/crackle sound? And to accomplish the pop/crackle sound like the 2018’s S63. You would either have to upgrade to the muffler with the dual flap valve open/close openinings? Or just have an exhaust shop custom another valve/flap mod into the other side of the exhaust? Am I missing anything else..?
Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you very much for the very informative info! So from my understanding. The ecu has nothing to do with the pop/crackle sound? And to accomplish the pop/crackle sound like the 2018’s S63. You would either have to upgrade to the muffler with the dual flap valve open/close openinings? Or just have an exhaust shop custom another valve/flap mod into the other side of the exhaust? Am I missing anything else..?
As you know, our S63 share the same engine and transmission on the W212 E63s so issues, mods can also be found on that forum.

The top ECU tuners like Renntech, AMS and Eurocharge does not offer the ECU snap crackle and pop sound, however it can be done as you can see from this post, but it’s not something I would recommend or even consider. Going with the ECU method to achieve the exhaust note you want can not be turned on or off at any given time, ie it’s alway on.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...rble-tune.html

As what I have posted, there is only 2 ways of getting the pop you hear on the MY18 S63 with performance exhaust is to:

1: Get the full exhaust as per my earlier post from Mercedes

or

2: Go to a reputable exhaust shop that works on nothing but exhaust to install the double flap ( muffler if there is one available ) in exchange for the current single flap ( or single opening muffler ) or add an additional exhaust cut off valve so it’ll have dual ( exhaust ) valve either in front of the muffler where the exhaust pips connect to the muffler or the where the downpipes connect ( but as said, the performance is better, but you will have droning and exhaust fumes ).

Hope this helps and if you do visit a exhaust shop to enquir about adding the exhaust valve, please post your findings if I don’t get to one after about 3 weeks when I get back home.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class

As you know, our S63 share the same engine and transmission on the W212 E63s so issues, mods can also be found on that forum.

The top ECU tuners like Renntech, AMS and Eurocharge does not offer the ECU snap crackle and pop sound, however it can be done as you can see from this post, but it’s not something I would recommend or even consider. Going with the ECU method to achieve the exhaust note you want can not be turned on or off at any given time, ie it’s alway on.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...rble-tune.html

As what I have posted, there is only 2 ways of getting the pop you hear on the MY18 S63 with performance exhaust is to:

1: Get the full exhaust as per my earlier post from Mercedes

or

2: Go to a reputable exhaust shop that works on nothing but exhaust to install the double flap ( muffler if there is one available ) in exchange for the current single flap ( or single opening muffler ) or add an additional exhaust cut off valve so it’ll have dual ( exhaust ) valve either in front of the muffler where the exhaust pips connect to the muffler or the where the downpipes connect ( but as said, the performance is better, but you will have droning and exhaust fumes ).

Hope this helps and if you do visit a exhaust shop to enquir about adding the exhaust valve, please post your findings if I don’t get to one after about 3 weeks when I get back home.

Good luck.
I don’t mind having that pop/crackle sound always on. I’m just trying to source up the best and easiest method to accomplish that sound from the exhaust. All the info given so far is very helpful. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don’t mind having that pop/crackle sound always on. I’m just trying to source up the best and easiest method to accomplish that sound from the exhaust. All the info given so far is very helpful. Thank you!
I see that you have a 2015 S63 which means your still under CPO or extended warranty. If your dealer is mod friendly which mean they will not flag your car at MBusa and their national database which every Mercedes dealers uses in North America, you can go with the ECU tune which is to alter your standard ECU tune to give it a different mixture of fuel combustion to accomplish the pop on all the time exhaust note, but be caution when you go that route.

Have you research or consider a cat or resonator delete or even adding downpipes?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class

I see that you have a 2015 S63 which means your still under CPO or extended warranty. If your dealer is mod friendly which mean they will not flag your car at MBusa and their national database which every Mercedes dealers uses in North America, you can go with the ECU tune which is to alter your standard ECU tune to give it a different mixture of fuel combustion to accomplish the pop on all the time exhaust note, but be caution when you go that route.

Have you research or consider a cat or resonator delete or even adding downpipes?

yes, I have researched and have heard videos of the 2015 S63’s that have the cat delete, Downpipes,and res delete. And the sound that comes with those mods isnt what I’m looking to get. It just gives a much more noticeable growl. I have spoken to one of the tuner near me. And he said the tune which will be stage 2, will give me that pop sound that I’m looking for. The pop only happens over the 4K rpm mark. Also it will remove the speed limiter,add more torq and hp. And if anything were to happen(knock on wood) he his able to reverse the tune back to stock? The tune is about $1k and to me. I think that’s great considering the having to get mufflers which are $4k+ install? I will update if I decide to go forward with this mod tune.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, I have researched and have heard videos of the 2015 S63’s that have the cat delete, Downpipes,and res delete. And the sound that comes with those mods isnt what I’m looking to get. It just gives a much more noticeable growl. I have spoken to one of the tuner near me. And he said the tune which will be stage 2, will give me that pop sound that I’m looking for. The pop only happens over the 4K rpm mark. Also it will remove the speed limiter,add more torq and hp. And if anything were to happen(knock on wood) he his able to reverse the tune back to stock? The tune is about $1k and to me. I think that’s great considering the having to get mufflers which are $4k+ install? I will update if I decide to go forward with this mod tune.
May I make a suggestion. If your going with a ECU upgrade to make your S63 faster ( more HP/TQ ), let that be separated from exhaust upgrades like exhaust tone/performance gain which is minimal ( max 20-25 hp ).

If your local ECU tuner said they make the ECU tune to also allow your exhaust to pop at over 4K, the ECU will need to be turn at a higher RPM curve at most time which would shorten the life span of your engine and drive train therefore I suggest you do the tune for the speed and exhaust upgrade like either downpipes or electronic valve control for the exhaust.

Either route you decide to go, you will need second ( additional ) ECU for your ECU tune so you can switch between your stock ( original ) ECU and the tuned ECU between dealer visits. You can read about it on the W212 E63 forum and most timers can clone your original ECU to your second ECU so you can have both ECU to run with. The switch between the ECU will take no more than 5 minutes ( I can provide instruction link if you like ). I have a extra ECU for sale that is from a W222 2016 S63 that you can verify with your ECU tuner of choice, but do not tune your original ECU as your warranty will get voided once the dealer hooks up your car with their system.

Here is the exact ECU I have for sale for $950:

Old 10-21-2018, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class

May I make a suggestion. If your going with a ECU upgrade to make your S63 faster ( more HP/TQ ), let that be separated from exhaust upgrades like exhaust tone/performance gain which is minimal ( max 20-25 hp ).

If your local ECU tuner said they make the ECU tune to also allow your exhaust to pop at over 4K, the ECU will need to be turn at a higher RPM curve at most time which would shorten the life span of your engine and drive train therefore I suggest you do the tune for the speed and exhaust upgrade like either downpipes or electronic valve control for the exhaust.

Either route you decide to go, you will need second ( additional ) ECU for your ECU tune so you can switch between your stock ( original ) ECU and the tuned ECU between dealer visits. You can read about it on the W212 E63 forum and most timers can clone your original ECU to your second ECU so you can have both ECU to run with. The switch between the ECU will take no more than 5 minutes ( I can provide instruction link if you like ). I have a extra ECU for sale that is from a W222 2016 S63 that you can verify with your ECU tuner of choice, but do not tune your original ECU as your warranty will get voided once the dealer hooks up your car with their system.

Here is the exact ECU I have for sale for $950:

I will need to talk more to the tuner regarding this and see what he has to say. Because I really don’t want to jeopardize the remainder of my warranty. As for the ecu, I think what you’re asking for is a tad bit too high? Only reason is because I’ve seen those go for much less? But anyways, I’ll keep updating this post.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will need to talk more to the tuner regarding this and see what he has to say. Because I really don’t want to jeopardize the remainder of my warranty. As for the ecu, I think what you’re asking for is a tad bit too high? Only reason is because I’ve seen those go for much less? But anyways, I’ll keep updating this post.
The reason I suggested the second ECU is so that your warranty doesn’t get voided for the tune.

I am seriously thinking hard about trading my S63 for the MY19 W213 E63s wagon or a GTR so will not be using the second ECU I bought for the exact purpose. If you do go with the same route with the second ECU, make sure it’s for a newer model W222 S class. I seeing eBay who are selling more than $1,000 for a 2010-2014 S class ECU. Many sure with your tuner the second ECU compatible with your W222 S63. PS. I purchased the offered second ECU for $900 without shipping and I’m basically offering it at the price I purchased it for.

Good luck my friend.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thought this might interest you for having a second ECU for a tune:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ams-today.html
Old 10-21-2018, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Thought this might interest you for having a second ECU for a tune:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ams-today.html
Wow. Very good info there! I’m assuming you’ve been thinking of doing this for quite some time now?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Is there a specific year range when looking for the second ecu for backup?

Last edited by phatisfy; 10-21-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow. Very good info there! I’m assuming you’ve been thinking of doing this for quite some time now?
Lol, let’s just say I did some intense research on the topic for a ECU tune with Renntech and Eurocharge to make sure these 2 tuner of choice can clone a second ECU so warranty is kept intacted. I plan on doing the same thing if I get a W213 E63s wagon or GTR with a second ECU that I’ve already started to look for, but being such a new car, there isn’t any ECU on the internet to look at.

Word of advise. If you plan on doing a ECU tune with a second ECU, be sure to check with your tuner the ECU you are getting is compatible with your car as not all Mercedes ECU are compatible with each model/year like I did for the ECU I’m selling which is compatible with our W222 S63 sedan.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A861-W222-M...EAAOSwaRBblsT5

Same part #’s. This should work?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Part number seems to be good, but I would want to know the year, model and mileage that ECU came out of. It’ll matter to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S63 Exhaust pop/crackle sound info?