MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S63 AMG, S63 AMG 4Matic, S65 AMG (W222, V222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-s63-amg-4matic-s65-amg-w222-v222-192/)
-   -   S-Coupes Discontinued (https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-s63-amg-4matic-s65-amg-w222-v222/734598-s-coupes-discontinued.html)

amir1 01-31-2019 04:43 PM

S-Coupes Discontinued

I was inquiring about a new S65 and was told that this would be the last year for all the S-Coupes. I also heard separately that this will be the last year for the V12s in any AMG car.
Can anyone confirm any of this? (Can you tell I like the V-12s???)

COOPERDB 02-01-2019 11:15 AM

`

I am not questioning you or your post -

I would just like to know who / where / how

you received this information from -

I know that the V12 is done (except for the Maybach) -

Any details you can share related to the C217 S63 Coupe's

future(?) would be greatly appreciated -

Thank-You
D.B.

amir1 02-01-2019 11:33 AM

I inquired at Fletcher Jones dealer in Newport Beach. They are the largest Benz dealer in the country. I was inquiring about doing German Delivery for a new S65 coupe, but wanted to pick it up in Germany in October. The question I had was if I picked it up in October, will it be a 2019 or 2020 model year vehicle? It so happened that the AMG rep was visiting at the dealer at the time. The manager asked him about this and his reply was that MBZ will no longer sell AMGs with V12s after the 2019 model year AND that MBZ will discontinue the S-Coupes as well. How reliable is this info? I Can't answer that..but I've heard rumors of this before, so I think its pretty reliable. Anyway, i'm ordering mine and will most likely have to get it earlier in the year before they stop building 2019 S65 Coupes.

C280 Sport 02-01-2019 01:59 PM

Hmmm. Well if it true I would say jump on it ASAP! Maybe check with MBUSA to see if that is true before jumping on it. Could be just trying to get you to buy a new car?

okbarnett 02-01-2019 02:21 PM

they have been saying they were going to discontinue v12s, SLs , for years

jbattan 02-02-2019 05:53 AM

Yeah, the V12 will go away now that the V8 can pump out almost the same power. Emissions regulations are killing it.

The future of the A217/C217 is an unknown, but they (Jonathan, the west coast regional AMG director) assure me there will always be a halo S Coupé/Cabriolet. I don’t doubt them. It’s a huge per-unit money maker. The Vision 6 could be the foundation for the next one.

The current model just got a retooling in 2019, so it’ll likely get a couple years more life given the sunk manufacturing costs.

absent 02-02-2019 08:52 AM

All 65 Series cars will be replaced with 73 Series ( V8 Hybrid)

COOPERDB 02-02-2019 12:19 PM

`

From jbatten -

"The future of the A217/C217 is an unknown, but they (Jonathan, the west coast regional AMG director) assure me there will always be a halo S Coupé/Cabriolet. I don’t doubt them. It’s a huge per-unit money maker. The Vision 6 could be the foundation for the next one."

This is what I have been told ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The C217 Coupe is THE GT that sets the standard -

Thank-You
D.B.

Heisenberg 02-02-2019 12:36 PM

My dealer reached out to his contact at AMG in Germany and was told the S Coupe would continue production beyond MY19 albeit with few changes. That said, with its huge wheelbase the S Coupe would really benefit from the 4-wheel steering system and executive rear console from the GT 4-dr, and the AMG Drive Unit steering wheel buttons would be very nice too - wishful thinking perhaps but all easy things for AMG to add.

S Coupe sales numbers are low but is the line's flagship and was never intended to be produced in high volume. And as @jbattan pointed out the per-unit profit should be good, once the R&D is and retooling of assembly lines was done for the MY18 refresh. And what else really competes with the S63 ? The S63 occupies a large gap between the Lexus LC500 and BMW 8 series well below it, and the Aston DB11 and Bentley CGT well above it. And none of those cars has rear seats as accommodating as the S Coupe.

I didn't inquire about the S65/V12 but expect its days are limited. The V12 and 7G-Tronic are frankly obsolete, and any advantages of RWD powertrain are irrelevant in a 2-1/2 ton luxury coupe... no one will be drifting or hot lapping their S65 on the track. And at or near MSRP on a new car, other than brand loyalty I'm not sure why anyone would choose it over its direct competitor, the new Continental GT with W12 and DCT. My guess is there will be a brief hiatus, then the S65 will be reborn as a S73 with hybrid powertrain similar to the Porsche Turbo S E-Hybrid system.

Caseyp 02-02-2019 03:12 PM

Hi absent. In an earlier post I believe you said you were running Michelin PS2s on your S65. I just put a set of the new PS4s on mine. The shop inflated them to the specs on the door sticker (49 front and 51 rear) Huh? I believe I recall you saying you ran yours at 36 lbs. Is that correct? Front and rear? The tire monitor objects at the lower pressures. Your thoughts??? Or anyone else?

barryrobinson19 02-02-2019 07:56 PM

Caseyp. Every vehicle I have ever worked on, the tire pressure system has a tire pressure threshold that needs to be set at PDI. I would think from what you are saying, the technician set the threshold at 35psi. I would have them move the threshold to 25 to 28psi. I have a 2016 S63 AMG 4matic. I used to run the tire pressures at what the gas door said. Tires really did not like that. I set all my pressures to 35psi. No issues. No tire light, either. I am running Michelin tires also. I hope this helps.

Caseyp 02-03-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by barryrobinson19 (Post 7671234)
Caseyp. Every vehicle I have ever worked on, the tire pressure system has a tire pressure threshold that needs to be set at PDI. I would think from what you are saying, the technician set the threshold at 35psi. I would have them move the threshold to 25 to 28psi. I have a 2016 S63 AMG 4matic. I used to run the tire pressures at what the gas door said. Tires really did not like that. I set all my pressures to 35psi. No issues. No tire light, either. I am running Michelin tires also. I hope this helps.

Yes, Barry, it certainly does help. Although I don't know what "a tire pressure threshold that needs to be set at PDI" means, I gather it means that I can somehow change the lower limit on the tire pressure warning to eliminate the constant warning. I've set the fronts to 34 psi and the rears to 36 since it appears that there is a difference called for in the settings.

barryrobinson19 02-03-2019 09:06 AM

Caseyp. You got it right. It is the setting in the computer basically, to know when to trip the TPMS light. Some cars you can make this setting in the car, no tools required. Some cars need there diagnostic computer. I am not sure how the Benz is running that system. I have had no issues with that system, so I have not looked into it. Running the 35psi all around. Tires wearing better, ride is also better.

absent 02-04-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Caseyp (Post 7671045)
Hi absent. In an earlier post I believe you said you were running Michelin PS2s on your S65. I just put a set of the new PS4s on mine. The shop inflated them to the specs on the door sticker (49 front and 51 rear) Huh? I believe I recall you saying you ran yours at 36 lbs. Is that correct? Front and rear? The tire monitor objects at the lower pressures. Your thoughts??? Or anyone else?

Sorry, have not owned 65 Series since 2009, I remember though Michelins PS2 causing handling problems in my SL65 back in 2006.

amir1 02-05-2019 07:52 PM

I just ordered my S65 Coupe. (Yeah) I ordered mine with the regular brakes. I've noticed many here purchased their S-Coupes with the Carbon Ceramic Brakes. I heard they squeak a lot and are not worth it (Since I won't be tracking my S65 Coupe). What are your experiences with CCBs?

absent 02-05-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by amir1 (Post 7673759)
I just ordered my S65 Coupe. (Yeah) I ordered mine with the regular brakes. I've noticed many here purchased their S-Coupes with the Carbon Ceramic Brakes. I heard they squeak a lot and are not worth it (Since I won't be tracking my S65 Coupe). What are your experiences with CCBs?

I had to replace rotors in both SL65 and S65 after just 8k miles, became warped after many hard braking from over 100mph to full stop and subzero temps.
I order CCBs ever since on all my cars, never had any problems no dust, no squeaks, better ride and handling.
Proper bedding prevents the unwanted noises.

COOPERDB 02-06-2019 03:48 AM

`

Originally Posted by amir1 (Post 7673759)

If you can change your order to include

the CCB option do it A.S.A.P. because

the brake job with the standard brakes

is going to run you 6k+ for all 4 corners

every 15,000+ miles - pads and rotors -

With the standard brakes the rear pads

and rotors will wear faster than the fronts

due to Mercedes IBS system -

Doing the math for 2 full brake jobs puts

you at about 12k -

If you go with the CCB option for 9k and

you are not going to track the car the CCB's

will last forever -

As to the claims of squeaking / squealing / always making noise

ect...

I think that is the talk of owners who did not

want to pony up the 9k for the CCB's but use

those claims to justifiy why they did not go with

with the CCB's -

I do not know any S Class owners with CCB's

who make those claims -

If you are making monthly payments another

9k on the ticket is not going to push your

monthly payment thru the roof -

Do a search and you will find more S class

owners by far who are extremely happy with

the CCB's than those who HAVE them and

dislike them -

As Absent posted proper bedding is important -

Barry has only positive thoughts regarding CCB's

so perhaps he may share more -

And to be able to have red calipers on your car

for an extra $700.00 to be just like every other

Mercedes driver does not promote anything other

than the mundane -

CCB's are the intelligent choice -

And the icing on the cake -

Thank-You
D.B.

amir1 02-06-2019 02:22 PM

Thank You DB for all your input. Its greatly appreciated. The extra $9K on the car is not a huge deal given the vehicle's price. My only concern was the squeaking. I don't drive agressively and have no plans to track the car. But do enjoy spirited driving at times.

COOPERDB 02-06-2019 03:15 PM

`

I forgot to mention the BRAKE DUST

which comes with the standard brakes

OEM pads -

Not a good look for the Coupe -

Aftermarket pads can reduce the amount

of brake dust -

CCB's are as close to dust free as it gets -

Thank-You
D.B.

COOPERDB 02-06-2019 05:47 PM

`

From Mclaren - CCB bedding -

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6d617f0a73.jpg

Still looking for updates regarding the future of the C217 -

Thank-You
D.B.

barryrobinson19 02-07-2019 11:43 PM

Sometimes when I am at cars and coffee, people just take pictures of the brakes, lol. In most instances when comparing them to some of the Ferrari's and Lamborghinis that show up, my S63 brakes were larger. Some of the muscle car guys wanted my brake package on there muscle cars not only for the sheer stopping power, but the way they looked. They can be noisy during the winter months, during the summer they are usually quiet. With or without noise, I would still purchase them again. Zero brake dust and the techs at my local Mercedes dealership have never ever performed a brake job on a CCB optioned vehicle.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ec0e43a811.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4897145f0f.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7d8558f249.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7ba4d8f567.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ee5ffaed32.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c321f22db3.jpg

Heisenberg 02-09-2019 01:07 AM

Agree 100% with @COOPERDB re: CCBs if you plan on daily driving the car and keeping it for a few years. CCBs will outlast the car if you don't track it on a regular basis, and no one buys an S65 for track use. The standard Mercedes brake pads produce prodigious, sticky dust - your wheel will look dirty after a few miles and it's a pain to clear it off. Dust is minimal with CCBs and the little dust that you get blows right out. I do highly recommend ceramic coating the wheels (and the paint and glass too) regardless of brake type.

I have CCBs on a McLaren 720S and once bedded (dealer should do it as part of PDI) they should not squeak. If they start to squeak, washing and blowing them out good usually resolves it.

COOPERDB 02-10-2019 03:16 AM

`

Barry's post: "They can be noisy during the winter months, during the summer they are usually quiet."

I was reading somewhere on the internet that the winters in Kansas

are extremely cold and brutal and often cited as the most likely cause

for those times when Hell freezes over -

If you are driving in the weather the media shows on T.V.

what a ride -

You said that they make noise in the winter -

Do they make that noise leaving your warm garage or

do they make noise only after the car has been sitting in

the Kansas cold -

Is it all 4 wheels making noise -

Does the noise go away after the CCB's warm up -

Did the dealer do the bedding or did you -

It has been sometime since an owner with CCB's

has posted anything negative that could not be

explained and fixed -

Does your friend at the dealership have an

explanation for the noise your CCB's make when

cold -

Is he aware of other AMG's with CCB's coming into the

dealership with the same noise during cold weather

as your CCB's make -

And thanks for posting the pictures - one of them

is already today's desktop background -

Amir1 - living somewhere in SOCAL it will never get

cold enough to affect your CCB's -

Thank-You
D.B.

absent 02-10-2019 09:09 AM

One more thing to add about CCBs:
Proper bedding is a must of course (with any brakes) but later on, drive hard and they will not squeak.

barryrobinson19 02-10-2019 11:47 AM

Yes the vehicle is a daily driver. I have never bought snow tires, so just running the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's in the front, the rears are an older Michelin Pilot Sport that have not worn out yet. The fronts wear out faster than the rears. We have had a pretty good winter so far, temperatures basically around 0 and plenty of snow. The vehicle gets around ok. I am impressed. I am sure the vehicle would get around even better with snow tires all around. The noise that the CCB"s can sometimes make or what I am experiencing is during the winter months when you have been driving around for sometime, when you need to apply the brakes, I brake very gently till I come to a complete stop. Right before you come to a complete stop they can make a harmonic type resonating noise. It is not a squeak. I just cant put it into words. It is very difficult to locate the position of the sound. It does seem that the noise when it happens, if you drive the car with some spirit the noise does seem to go away. So I think the CCB's Like the heat, also since they tend to not make much noise during the summer. Of course as you know, in Kansas we have the best of everything, weather wise. It would be imposable to find out if the dealer did a bedding in process on a CCB equipped vehicle, at PDI. They may get paid for the bedding in process at PDI but that does not mean they do it. Also I have never seen a Mercedes CCB bedding in process. Manufacturers tend to prefer there own processes and not adopt another manufacturers processes, or at least admit to it. Lol. Actually when I brought it in for the last service I mentioned it, however they could not duplicate the noise. So, when I go in next time, we may all go for a ride. The service writer did say we could all go for a ride. I did find a Mercedes Service bulletin regarding my complaint. The bulletin described my noise and how it is produced to the letter. In the service bulletin Mercedes redesigned the brake pads for the CCB equipped vehicles. The funny thing is, its a good thing I printed it out. I went back a couple of days later and the bulletin was removed and nowhere to be found. Still to this day, I can not locate that bulletin. Manufacturers only release certain bulletins they want the general public to see. At Lexus there have been numerous times I have seen issues with a certain vehicle (the LS) and there was no bulletin. Then if you make a case, call tech line they are like, oh yea, do this and here is the part number you need to order. So the manufacturers do have certain fixes already available, however they are hoping no one will complain or hopefully there will not be to many vehicles affected. Remember warranty they have to pay for not the customer, and CCB's are very very expensive. As for that Mercedes bulletin I mentioned, that particular bulletin is only in effect for like one year 12,000 miles. Supposedly when I handed my old service writer a copy of the service bulletin, they were all wondering how I got that. I just said the internet was my friend. Anyways I was out of warranty for that particular bulletin by a lot, however my service writer told me that they agreed to good will everything. Now for the kicker. Stupid me, I picked up my vehicle, I did not go over the repair order when I left. I just took there word for it. There is no where in all my paper work or service history that states they performed that bulletin. So I do not know if it was performed or not. Probably not. I will ask when I go in for service next time. The service manager and writer are no longer at that dealership. I think the manager retired and the writer may have retired also. They were older. I now have a great female service writer that has been assigned to me. It does also seem that during the summer they rarely make noise, plus when you are doing some spirited driving they never make noise. If they do start making noise, if I wash the car, the noise go's away. I am also going to ask the dealer about possibly adding some of there high temp silicone brake grease/lube to the backing plates and sliding surfaces of the brake pads. Most manufacturers do this or at least have bulletins regarding this. Since we are dealing with a harmonic noise, the grease/lube should cushion the harmonic and eliminate it. Technically. I am not due for service for a while, will wait and see. I have a little over 20,000 miles. I wish I had done this earlier but never to late to start. I am going to start changing the vehicles oil at the halfway point before the maintenance light comes on. Since Mercedes likes the 10,000 mile oil change, I will be changing the oil myself at 5,000 miles (using a Mercedes oil filter but using Amsoil 5w40 oil). Vehicle has been a great sport car and luxury vehicle all rolled up into one. I have an appointment on Wednesday at 10am for three baseline dyno runs on an all wheel drive dyno. I just want to see where the numbers are at before doing some Renntech stuff. My dealer does a lot of Renntech stuff. However it seems mostly on non AMG vehicles. At least I think more of the normal models get Renntech items and some AMG vehicles get Renntech stuff. I hope all this helps, No problem on the pictures. Have fun and enjoy your ride. Regardless of this intermittent noise, I would still spend the money for the exact same car. However the prices have gone up considerably since my 2016 model vehicle was special ordered. I built the exact vehicle I have, on Mercedes web site, and the vehicle comes to over $200,000.00. WOW. I guess I need a coupon. Lol.