2019 S63 Shift Points

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 S63
2019 S63 Shift Points

I drive in S and S+ mostly.
When making a 90 degree turn onto a roadway, I notice my car is too busy shifting rather than accelerating.
I'm typically shifting between 3rd and 4th when coming out of the turn.
My throttle input is moderate to moderate plus since I'm always feathering throttle to prevent gear slamming which I'm told is my imagination and really the responsiveness of an AMG car which I should understand.

WET CLUTCH SUCKS.

Question- can dealer modify shift points- I'm guessing thy are going to say its in spec and that's what you get.

Also - anyone get the Weiss tech T-Tune. They are really helpful and honest which I appreciate...they said its not a fix but an improvement. Is it $2,000 worth of improvement? I'm wondering.

My wife's regular S class holds the shift as car pulls thru the turn.

I know MB knows the Trans problem since their new S Class is true double clutch.

Thanks all.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,653 Posts
2019 C63CS
There was another recent thread from somebody asking about the Weistec tune. Mostly crickets. Looks like nobody has it. From the description it seems to mostly increase clamping forces for the clutches for even more responsiveness and able to handle higher torque if the engine is tuned. Not sure you gonna like it, if you don't like the responsiveness of the wet clutch as it is.

The wet clutch is awesome, and no the new S63 doesn't have a DCT. Still the same 9 speed MCT just with all the hybrid doodad stuff after it. The early versions of the 9 MCT as I understand it had some things to iron out. I heard reports about lagginess in the early W213 for example. In my 2019 C63S coupe it's awesome. Shifts are on the money and responsive as they should be. However, I also drive 90+% in manual mode, which IMO is the only way to drive an AMG properly. I've always had a theory that if you tool around in S and/or S+ around town with moderate driving then the adaptations get confused and don't know if you really wanna drive sporty or if you are just doodling around. The instructors at the AMG Driving Academy explicitly told us not to use S+ around town. Should only be used on the highway or for spirited driving. I only let the transmission shift automatically if I'm in C. In every other mode I shift manually. So my transmission only ever learned my moderate driving and has adapted to it very well.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:08 PM

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
From your previous posts it seems like you've never been happy, or even comfortable, with how your car shifts. I have no experience with any aftermarket transmission tune, so I can't speak to that. But I'd like to see about how to help you become more comfortable with your car, if possible.

Most important things to consider are: 1.This car is never going to feel like a non AMG S-class. 2. Your transmission is constantly learning. 3. Your transmission is always adapting.
Learning and adapting are 2 different things. The learning part is where the tranny is trying to give you what it "thinks" you want, based on how you've been driving your car. But...it also is constantly adapting based on road conditions. That means that given traction, road grade, weather, etc. it might behave completely differently when making a 90 degree turn form one corner to the next. I can't say that I enjoy having to "predict" what the car is "predicting" for me all the time, but I do. I've only had my car for 4 months or so. I thought it was broken, here's why: Every morning when heading out, I would get in the car and start it, then buckle my seatbelt and put it in drive. It would just sit there and not roll forward. I would have to practically punch the throttle for the car to move, literally give it at least 25% throttle to get moving. I'd have to punch the throttle again after stopping at the stop sign at the end of my cul-de-sac. It felt like I had to "blip the throttle" like driving a stick shift. After about a month I realized the problem. I back my car into my downward sloping driveway. So the parking brake would stay on longer, and only release after the throttle blip. When I parked my car up in the cul-de-sac, where it is flat, the car behaved completely differently. I could simply put it in drive and the car would begin rolling immedeately. The parking brake would release without "any" throttle input. Not sure if I'm explaining that well. And there's also a slight incline at the stop sign at the end of my cul-de-sac. That explains why it would behave just like in my driveway. But, now all I have to do is release the brake pedal and the car will start moving on it's own within about a half second. After it starts rolling, I'll give it some throttle. It took me a couple months to learn about this. I could give you tons of other examples, but I wanted to use this one to illustrate that it is "trying" to make things easy for you, and protect istelf at the same time.

The wet clutch system is there to provide super quick gear shifts and minimal power loss. But it is NOT good for super smooth in city driving. If you try to predict how it's going to behave, then it makes it much easier to modulate throttle inputs. I drive in C mode 99% of the time. I only put it in S+ when entering the freeway or if I need to pass someone on a 2 lane highway.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:14 PM

2019 S63
Thanks for reply...appreciated.

Drove the C63 and agree the Trans there is better / more responsive.

Not sure why it morphs into something else in the S class. But the dead spots / laziness exits.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by GregN
Thanks for reply...appreciated.

Drove the C63 and agree the Trans there is better / more responsive.

Not sure why it morphs into something else in the S class. But the dead spots / laziness exits.
Didn't realize the other thread was started by you, too. Please just stick to one thread for one topic. The one in the 2019+ C63 is slightly newer. The W213 and W222 got an earlier version. AMG improved the software later. There might be a TCU update for yours. I got a couple ECU updates over the last 5 years, which actually improved how the transmission shifted.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-16-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:05 PM

The S63 is an "interesting" car, definitely not practicle, and one could second guess the sanity of anybody who drives one. I've come to realize that they had to make some sacrifices for the sake of performance. You have to learn to live with those. One of the worst things is the "California stop." You know, where you slow down to make a stop, but you decide to go, either right after you stop, or while you're rolling at under 5 miles per hour. I think you know what I mean. If so, this car is absolutely terrible in those situations, probably the worst car I've driven in more than 20 years in those situations. And maybe your car does better than mine, but I'm guessing it does the exact same thing. In those situations I drive it like a manual and blip the throttle to engage the gears, then I accelerate after I feel it engage.

Keep this in mind; there's no other car out there that is going from AWD to 2WD to fully disengaging the driveline from the motor in every driving cycle. AND It's ridiculous that they're doing this with a 5000LB luxury car with 600+ horsepower; there's a lot going on. It's awesome but it aint perfect!

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 02-16-2024 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah, the S63 is an odd bird. I could never make sense of it outside of its use as a luxury travel rocket on the German Autobahn. The car just doesn't make a lot of sense in North America, the land of car commuters, grid locks, 4-way stop intersections everywhere and 24x7 stop&go traffic. Frankly, the AMG 63 models in general are not city or stop&go traffic cars. Slow driving and having to stop at 4-way stops every block can get old. These cars are much nicer to drive in Europe with roundabouts everywhere and on the open road. FWIW, I don't daily drive mine at all. I don't commute and I live in a walkable neighborhood, so I do most of my errands on foot, and never really drive in stop&go traffic, but if I do, DISTRONIC does a pretty good job keeping it smooth.

Driving it like a manual transmission is the best advise I can give as well. Pretty much anything this transmission does should not be a surprise to anyone who has driven a manual transmission. Modulating the throttle etc. should be second nature for us. To be honest, this is why I like this transmission so much. It rewards my skills, but if all you ever drove were stomp&go automatic transmissions then the MTC might not be to your liking at all. Remember, most Europeans learn to drive on cars with manual transmissions. I always request a manual transmission when renting a car in Europe for example.
The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (02-16-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:20 AM

2019 S63
Thanks for reply

The California Stop- exactly...learning to feather that scenario and override in Manual.

I'm settling on the S63 just being a straight-line Amercan Muscle car style with a severley flawed transmission...dont know how the engineers thought this was "good to go"
Old 02-18-2024, 11:23 AM

2019 S63
Agree- manual override required at this point

Thanks for feedback
Old 02-18-2024, 12:19 PM

Thanks for reply

The California Stop- exactly...learning to feather that scenario and override in Manual.

I'm settling on the S63 just being a straight-line Amercan Muscle car style with a severley flawed transmission...dont know how the engineers thought this was "good to go"
What really surprises me is that you can't find weird transmission characteristics mentioned by any of the "professional reviewers" you see on Youtube. Maybe I missed something but I don't remember any of them mentioning how this car behaves like it does. I watched 15+ reviews on Youtube about the S63 and nobody mentioned anything. Before I bought mine, I test drove 4 facelifted S63's, and I remember 3 of them having kind of weird tranny behavior. Not sure if I didn't notice it in the first one, or if it didn't do the "lazy wakeup" thing. I remember the salesman really focused on the performance and had me punch it a lot. We probably did 3 0-60 pulls in our ten minute test drive. The roads were totally open so no traffic, and only 1 red light encountered through that entire test drive. The other three definitely did it, and I quickly passed the first time I noticed it thinking the car was broken.

I guess I say all that to say that the tranny isn't "flawed" in the sense that it doesn't work. It would be like saying a Genesis G90 transmission is flawed since it doesn't give you full lockup very quickly, no matter what you do. The G90's tranny is designed and tuned for smoothness and silky smooth power delivery, while the S63's transmission is designed for lightning quick shifts as the first priority. Just a different set of priorities. Both do their jobs well and both lag where the other shines. The mid 2000's BMW M5 was similar in how it drove, but worse. It was the closest thing I'll ever do to riding a bucking bronco. It used different technology but a similar feel when driving. I wanted an M5, but passed on it because of this. The S63's tranny can be driven fairly smoothly but it takes attention, unlike an S550 or most other nice cars where the car provides glass smooth power delivery in almost all situations.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 02-20-2024 at 12:46 PM.
superswiss (02-18-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 440 Posts
222 S-65
I drive in S and S+ mostly.
No mention of how the transmission behaves in ‘Comfort.’

OP the car learns how you drive and attempts to adapt to your style.

Were you expecting Lexus style shifting where there are no ripples in the glass of champagne for those riding in the rear seat with a shift?

If so.... You may have purchased the wrong car.

S+ is a bit much for this savage and I drive my car hard often enough.

Ask the car to abuse you and what happens?

You cry about it.

Reset adaptations and and see if it does better in comfort mode.
carlosinseattle (02-20-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
S63 AMG, GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
The S63 is an "interesting" car, definitely not practicle, and one could second guess the sanity of anybody who drives one. ...
I'm not suffering from insanity, I'm enjoying it.
carlosinseattle (06-11-2024)