Sponsored by:

Good video w/interview

Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Good video w/interview

Old 04-21-2018, 02:54 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
So it seems the CLS range has been split. Basically this is the redesigned CLS63/CLS63S, with an all new exterior and a massively updated interior derived from the current AMG GT and E class. In contrast the new CLS53 is seemingly a refresh of the first generation CLS500/550 (W219) with new front and rear ends borrowed from other current models, along with the current E class interior. Quite a curious business strategy... Mercedes will be now competing with itself in this competitive '4-door coupe' segment in addition to the Porsche Panamera, Audi 7, BMW 6/8 Grand Coupe, etc.

I was initially disappointed in how this car looked but the design is starting to grow on me. However, those faux front fender vents are horrid and have no place on a car like this - what were they thinking ?! I really hope they don't make it into production, or at least a 'delete' option will be available. The interior looks good - I like the idea of a console rather than steering wheel mounted shifter, although it is kind of awkward to reach on the AMG GT with its seating position. Not sure how I feel about the capacitative buttons on the console, Ill have to see them in operation but I prefer the look of the knobs and dials on the AMG GT. I really like the new steering wheel with the "U88 AMG Drive Unit"... I see that will be offered in the new C63S too, I hope that finds its way into the other AMGs including the S Class.

Inclusion of the MCT rather than AMG GT's dual clutch is disappointing. I have lived with various iterations of the MCT for a long time now and generally find it alright, but after getting a new McLaren with dual clutch gearbox, it's really hard to go back to an automatic (MCT is just a marketing term for an automatic with wet clutch rather than torque converter). The twin scroll turbo engine is of course awesome, and AMG always does a fantastic job with the exhaust on its turbocharged cars. Glad to see Mercedes is using Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires - they are really excellent for street use and way better than the old OEM PZero and Conti 5p rubber.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 04-21-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
I think for street use the more conventional auto vs DCT is helpful... more automakers are going to move away from the DCT I think in the future (weight and complexity).

The CLS and AMG GT sedan sit on different platforms... while they are both "sport back sedans" , it isn't a badge job