GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Getting in/out of GLC350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Getting in/out of GLC350

I'm 6'2'' and my wife is 5'6''. We keep on hitting our knees getting in and out of the GLC on either side at the front. We have the seats pushed back. The angle of the dash board protrudes at the ends.
Anyone else having that problem ?
We are wondering if we would have the same issue with the C-Class, considering it's based on the same platform .
Old 10-11-2016, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
As a pair of oldies, my wife and I were very keen to avoid problems getting in and out of a new car and we rejected quite a few contenders. The E-Class for example seemed much too low, as did the Jag saloons. We avoided the running board option and made sure we had the posh memory seats with the GLC and it has been great, allowing us to adjust both seats and steering column positions with a quick press of the door control panel before we swap over, which does avoid the squeeze. I would have preferred it to adjust the rear view mirror as well, but yet more to go wrong, I suppose!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
We too are approaching the oldies status. We took the side steps due to car being on route when order placed.
Not having any issues with dash and knees, however looking to remove side steps, they are a pain.
Really miss the easy exit feature in the Lexus, where seat auto slides back to allow getting out much easier, also miss the key fob being personalised to seating and mirror settings, avoiding having to press assigned memory button on door all the time. No big issues, just a loss of a feature we liked. Rest of MB safety features compensate the Lexus experience. We have ordered another GLC, this time in Coupe version, without side steps.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 PM

2017 GLC 300 4MATIC (formerly: 2010 Lexus RX 350 & 2013 Mercedes-Benz B250)
Originally Posted by Teckno
Really miss the easy exit feature in the Lexus, where seat auto slides back to allow getting out much easier, also miss the key fob being personalised to seating and mirror settings, avoiding having to press assigned memory button on door all the time.

Loved my 2010 Lexus RX 350, being replaced by a 2017 GLC 300. The "auto retract" and "auto restore" feature of the memory driver's seat and steering wheel based on whose key fob it recognizes as being the driver are a big "plus" feature that I will sorely miss.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Is that seat memory based on key fob just a limitation of the GLC? I have a 2013 E350 wagon and the seats will move positions based on which key fob is used to unlock it (one for the wife, one for me).
Old 10-12-2016, 05:00 PM

2017 GLC 300 4MATIC (formerly: 2010 Lexus RX 350 & 2013 Mercedes-Benz B250)
Originally Posted by thenew3
Is that seat memory based on key fob just a limitation of the GLC? I have a 2013 E350 wagon and the seats will move positions based on which key fob is used to unlock it (one for the wife, one for me).
Sorry - I don't know. I don't actually get possession of my 2017 GLC until (hopefully) next week. Last I heard (yesterday), the train carrying it is in Alberta, which is one province to the east of British Columbia.

Anyway, I was mainly commenting on the "auto retract" feature of the 2010 Lexus RX 350. When I turn the ignition off, the drivers seat and steering wheel retract to make exiting the car much easier. When the driver starts the car next time, it recognizes "which" key fob/driver is in charge and resets the seat, steering wheel and side mirrors to that driver's preferences.

I suspect the GLC doesn't do this. My workaround will probably be to set "memory setting 3" to push the seat all the way back (and hopefully I can set the steering wheel to push up and frontward all the way, too.) When the driver next enters the car, s/he can select "memory setting 1" or "memory setting 2".
Old 10-12-2016, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by BCRCornet
Anyway, I was mainly commenting on the "auto retract" feature of the 2010 Lexus RX 350. When I turn the ignition off, the drivers seat and steering wheel retract to make exiting the car much easier. When the driver starts the car next time, it recognizes "which" key fob/driver is in charge and resets the seat, steering wheel and side mirrors to that driver's preferences.

I suspect the GLC doesn't do this. My workaround will probably be to set "memory setting 3" to push the seat all the way back (and hopefully I can set the steering wheel to push up and frontward all the way, too.) When the driver next enters the car, s/he can select "memory setting 1" or "memory setting 2".
I'd be surprised if it didn't do this. My E350 has the option of turning this feature on/off, and my parent's previous W204 C300's also had this feature.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
MB stopped using key-dependent seat features a long time ago. My guess is because with keyless go, the following could happen:

You open the passenger door and let your 4'9" wife into the car. She sits down, and puts her purse on the floorboard(and her key in her purse.) 6'2" you gets in with your key in your pocket and push start. The car saw her key first, so assumed she was in the driver's seat. Next thing you know, your being smushed into the steering wheel.

I DO wish you could just push one of the memory buttons to change the seat setting instead of holding it, but again, it's most likely a safety feature. Small price to pay to be in the safest vehicles on the road IMO!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by ec_nova
MB stopped using key-dependent seat features a long time ago. My guess is because with keyless go, the following could happen:

You open the passenger door and let your 4'9" wife into the car. She sits down, and puts her purse on the floorboard(and her key in her purse.) 6'2" you gets in with your key in your pocket and push start. The car saw her key first, so assumed she was in the driver's seat. Next thing you know, your being smushed into the steering wheel.

I DO wish you could just push one of the memory buttons to change the seat setting instead of holding it, but again, it's most likely a safety feature. Small price to pay to be in the safest vehicles on the road IMO!
It's a conservative safety approach, but yea, that's pretty much the story that I've heard as well.