C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Questions about Magnaflow X pipe and Muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2016 | 05:09 AM

2013 W204 C300
Question Questions about Magnaflow X pipe and Muffler

I have a 2013 w204 C300. I want the exhaust sound to be louder, but not the kind of loudness that will be annoying for other people. So if the stock sound is 1 and the max sound is 10, I will go for a 6.
I am thinking of either change the muffler to magnaflow or replace resonator with X pipe to make it a bit louder, but I cannot make a decision.
My questions are:
1. Does changing either x pipe or muffler make a difference from the stock sound?
2. If so, which contributes better to the sound?
3. If taking other aspects into consideration such as HP gain, which is better overall? Or if there are even disadvantages?
Please feel free to add more knowledge since I have never did mod to my car, I would appreciate it so much!
Attached Thumbnails Questions about Magnaflow X pipe and Muffler-c300.jpeg  
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:52 AM

2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Minqiang,
There us a thread about nothing but exhaust which includes sound clips for your car and many others. A 6 out of 10 would be relatively loud by the way.

1: Stock

2: X pipe replacing the resonator. It's not loud and lots of people like that. I did this but it is nowhere near loud enough for me. Debating mufflers(see 3 below) or a custom exhaust system (like Meisterschaft) #4

3: As above with new free flow mufflers-Still sounds really nice and sporty

4: Custom designed exhaust (Megan racing, Meistterschaft etc). These are designed for your car. They tend to sound great but can be expensive

5: As above in #3 (X pipe and FF mufflers) + secondary cat delete-Probably as loud as is comfortable for DD duties for most people. You will get looks but car is driveable through neighborhoods. If you kinda like an attention getting car that sounds the business this may be the right set up for you.

6-7: X Pipe and muffler delete (this is getting into the obnoxious scale for some folks)-Some folks will definitely not appreciate how loud this is. Neighbors will not like you rolling in at 3 am or leaving at 5 AM. At 3-5K RPMS every alarm on your street will go off

7-8: X Pipe, Secondary cat delete and muffler delete (this is fairly free flowing and loud for most). This would sound awesome on a track.Would get old city driving everyday

9: Free flow headers, X pipe, secondary cat delete, muffler delete. Well you just kinda like pissing people off and your car does not have anywhere near the power to match the sound. This gets embarrassingly loud. Your significant other will not want to be seen in your car.

10: Free flow headers, primary AND secondary cat delete, muffler delete-This would be obnoxious and you are probably breaking several noise and pollution laws

Sound is the function of exhaust gases being expelled, the quicker they go out due to less restriction, the more open and louder your exhaust is. These cars are not built to run as #10 above just so you understand. Cars typically need some back pressure. You can do damage to your engine, it's illegal, you are polluting, it's obnoxious and you will sound like the biggest A hole on the road.

Anyway hope that helps. I would search for the exhaust thread as it is full of info
Good luck

Outside of free flow headers and cat removal none of this will add any power. Removing your catalytic converter is illegal and will void your warranty.

Last edited by Atlas Grey; 11-10-2016 at 07:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atlas Grey:
Hiloc (11-13-2016), James Thedyanto (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016 | 01:02 PM

2013 W204 C300
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Minqiang,
There us a thread about nothing but exhaust which includes sound clips for your car and many others. A 6 out of 10 would be relatively loud by the way.

1: Stock

2: X pipe replacing the resonator. It's not loud and lots of people like that. I did this but it is nowhere near loud enough for me. Debating mufflers(see 3 below) or a custom exhaust system (like Meisterschaft) #4

3: As above with new free flow mufflers-Still sounds really nice and sporty

4: Custom designed exhaust (Megan racing, Meistterschaft etc). These are designed for your car. They tend to sound great but can be expensive

5: As above in #3 (X pipe and FF mufflers) + secondary cat delete-Probably as loud as is comfortable for DD duties for most people. You will get looks but car is driveable through neighborhoods. If you kinda like an attention getting car that sounds the business this may be the right set up for you.

6-7: X Pipe and muffler delete (this is getting into the obnoxious scale for some folks)-Some folks will definitely not appreciate how loud this is. Neighbors will not like you rolling in at 3 am or leaving at 5 AM. At 3-5K RPMS every alarm on your street will go off

7-8: X Pipe, Secondary cat delete and muffler delete (this is fairly free flowing and loud for most). This would sound awesome on a track.Would get old city driving everyday

9: Free flow headers, X pipe, secondary cat delete, muffler delete. Well you just kinda like pissing people off and your car does not have anywhere near the power to match the sound. This gets embarrassingly loud. Your significant other will not want to be seen in your car.

10: Free flow headers, primary AND secondary cat delete, muffler delete-This would be obnoxious and you are probably breaking several noise and pollution laws

Sound is the function of exhaust gases being expelled, the quicker they go out due to less restriction, the more open and louder your exhaust is. These cars are not built to run as #10 above just so you understand. Cars typically need some back pressure. You can do damage to your engine, it's illegal, you are polluting, it's obnoxious and you will sound like the biggest A hole on the road.

Anyway hope that helps. I would search for the exhaust thread as it is full of info
Good luck

Outside of free flow headers and cat removal none of this will add any power. Removing your catalytic converter is illegal and will void your warranty.
Thank you sooooo much for the reply! Actually a local muffler shop guy told me to just replace the muffler, I wonder what would that be like from 1 to 10?
Old 11-10-2016 | 01:31 PM

2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Depends on which magnaflow muffler. A full size muffler will give you a slightly (very slightly) louder sound but probably a deeper tone where a straight type design will be louder but raspier.
For example. This is going to be maybe a little louder but probably deeper

Would sound nice but won't be "loud" Maybe a 2 on my scale. Think of a burbling sort of muted v8 sound without the V8 natural level of sound. Hard to explain

Vs this

This will allow ALOT more sound, maybe a 3-4 on my scale but it may sound real raspy. Think more japanese tuner car sound. Think Honda civic with a pepboys muffler hanging off the back but a little louder as it's a V6 not a 4

I really encourage you to go on your tube and type in C300 exhaust. Lots of videos. Find something you like and understand that videos aren't as good as real life. I think muffler delete sounds good in videos but in real life they are loud.

Also,
Read every single post on these two threads
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...flers-etc.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...pipe-read.html
and let us know what other questions you may have

Last edited by Atlas Grey; 11-10-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:29 PM

2013 W204 C300
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Depends on which magnaflow muffler. A full size muffler will give you a slightly (very slightly) louder sound but probably a deeper tone where a straight type design will be louder but raspier.
For example. This is going to be maybe a little louder but probably deeper

Would sound nice but won't be "loud" Maybe a 2 on my scale. Think of a burbling sort of muted v8 sound without the V8 natural level of sound. Hard to explain

Vs this

This will allow ALOT more sound, maybe a 3-4 on my scale but it may sound real raspy. Think more japanese tuner car sound. Think Honda civic with a pepboys muffler hanging off the back but a little louder as it's a V6 not a 4

I really encourage you to go on your tube and type in C300 exhaust. Lots of videos. Find something you like and understand that videos aren't as good as real life. I think muffler delete sounds good in videos but in real life they are loud.

Also,
Read every single post on these two threads
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...flers-etc.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...pipe-read.html
and let us know what other questions you may have

Thank you again!
Old 11-10-2016 | 08:16 PM

2013 C250 Sport Package
Very helpful (y)