C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 LED light bar.....(yeah, I know)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 03:40 PM

Location: Oneonta, New York, United States of America, North America, Planet Earth, Solar System, Orion Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Luxury 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Yes, those are my hi-beams and I LOVE them....if you're referring to your HID bixenon projector bulbs then no, you don't want them...they produce light from only 2 points opposed at 90° whereas the projector needs a 360° exposure to produce good light....
I do not have HIDs stock; I have halogens but I upgraded to DDM Tuning HIDs and even with the anti-flicker BOW Error Eliminator, I still get flicker and inconsistent color, so I've considered switching to OPT7s for those. Do the dust caps still fit nicely still even with the big fan on the back? And no other resistors or anything required to stop any bulb out warnings or any issues at all? Plug-and-play just like stock?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by oneyozfest182
I do not have HIDs stock; I have halogens but I upgraded to DDM Tuning HIDs and even with the anti-flicker BOW Error Eliminator, I still get flicker and inconsistent color, so I've considered switching to OPT7s for those. Do the dust caps still fit nicely still even with the big fan on the back? And no other resistors or anything required to stop any bulb out warnings or any issues at all? Plug-and-play just like stock?
what year?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:56 PM

Location: Oneonta, New York, United States of America, North America, Planet Earth, Solar System, Orion Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
2009 or 2010? Pre-Facelift.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:47 PM

Ok, so I must admit I'm not that familiar with the halogen version of the w204 headlight so it MAY be different....but on the projector units the hi beam is NOT directly centered inside the access panel, it is located offset to the outside....with this being said the rear of the housing actually makes contact with the rear if the opt7 heat sink fins....what I did was before installing I took the fan off the light bulbs and used a dremel to shorten them until it cleared....they are aluminum and very thin so it doesn't take but just a minute and there is plenty left for cooling....if you are using them in the lo beam then you should have PLENTY of room as that bulb IS centered in the opening
Old 11-25-2016, 09:10 AM

Ok, so I must admit I'm not that familiar with the halogen version of the w204 headlight so it MAY be different....but on the projector units the hi beam is NOT directly centered inside the access panel, it is located offset to the outside....with this being said the rear of the housing actually makes contact with the rear if the opt7 heat sink fins....what I did was before installing I took the fan off the light bulbs and used a dremel to shorten them until it cleared....they are aluminum and very thin so it doesn't take but just a minute and there is plenty left for cooling....if you are using them in the lo beam then you should have PLENTY of room as that bulb IS centered in the opening
Ah; do you have the face-lift version of the W204?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:19 PM

Ah; do you have the face-lift version of the W204?
no, mine is a PFL car but with factory HID package
Old 11-26-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
no, mine is a PFL car but with factory HID package
Not trying to sound like an ***, because I honestly think the LED bar is cool as hell on a C63 in the front of the car. Reminds me almost like an undercover Dubai cop.

But have you ever even considered a truck or a Jeep? A "beater" for the daily driving and a C63 for the weekend fun?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by w204_Generic
Not trying to sound like an ***, because I honestly think the LED bar is cool as hell on a C63 in the front of the car. Reminds me almost like an undercover Dubai cop.

But have you ever even considered a truck or a Jeep? A "beater" for the daily driving and a C63 for the weekend fun?
Also not trying to sound like an @$$ in response, but he may be like me. The daily commute is torture UNLESS I'm in something I love driving, so I can't drive to work daily in a beater. Most of my driving is to and from work, so that's where I need something I'm happy in more than anything.
The following users liked this post:
FactoryFast (07-28-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 12:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 M_B C300 ... Wife drives a 2007 GL450
I have actually been thinking about this mod for my 2010 C300 ... Great idea for those dark roads in Florida .. Especially for the wife when she drives I early for work ... Did you have to take the bumper off to install??? Or can you install from underneath by removing the plastic covers?? Any ideas would be great .. Sick ride by the way
Old 07-22-2018, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
There is zero chance you could do this without removing the front bumper. The oil cooler is definitely in the way from underneath.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:46 PM

So, I already know that for a lot of you guys this will be a vomit inducing venture BUT I happen to not only DD my Benz but also drive to work around 4am through 20mi of the most desolate/deer infested back country roads in the continental United States so the more light I have in front of me the better, period. (hell, what i should have done was put on an expedition style roof rack with a 52" LED light bar and called it a day!!!)

...but anyway.....

I test and review lots of LED and HID products for numerous manufacturers so I have a pretty good knowledge base about what is good and what is not. With that being said I recently tested a new light bar setup with the new 5D fisheye lenses and was VERY impressed with the output and quality so I decided I'd throw it in the Merc...

22" LED Light Bar was a PERFECT fit for the lower center grill. Yes, there is a cooler behind it that needs airflow BUT there is plenty of room around the Light Bar with it installed as there is a deflector/diverter at the bottom of the grill that directs incoming air up and through the lower cooler(I drive pretty hard a lot of the times and even with the still 95* days i have seen ZERO increase in temp)

the only thing that i needed that was not included with this particular kit were some small L brackets so that i could mount them to the front aluminum support and then hang the light bar vertically down from them, easy as pie. For the record there is PLENTY of room behind the lower grill even though it doesnt look like it. The center of the light bar is roughly 4" behind the center of the grill and the sides are roughly 2" from the outsides of the grill.

...also, i did not use the switch that came with the AWESOME relay harness for the light bar, instead I cut off the switch itself and tapped the relay harness trigger feed into the headlight hi-beam feed. That way i can NOT turn on the light bar individually(by accident or on purpose) but the light bar comes on with the hi-beams

I just ordered a 22" curved amber/white combo and harness for mine ... Did you have to make the brackets yourself or were you able to purchase ones that worked ... Appreciate any help
Old 07-27-2018, 10:07 PM

I'm at my place in Panama City right now so I cant take you any pics of the brackets I used(have some spares in my shop) but they are just standard 90° shelving style brackets you can get at any hardware store. The bumper literally takes 5mim to remove so no issues there. You will have to hollow out a little of the styrofoam bumper padding to clear the brackets but you can tear it out with your fingers. When you tie it into power my suggestion is to run the +/- direct to battery (underhood jump location) and then tie the switch leg into the hi-beam. By doing this it ONLY works on hi and you don't have to run/mount a switch inside. Also I originally had it mounted behind the grill hidden but have since cut and molded the grill so it is open and like it SOOOOOO much better. I will take better pics in the morming.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 PM

I'm at my place in Panama City right now so I cant take you any pics of the brackets I used(have some spares in my shop) but they are just standard 90° shelving style brackets you can get at any hardware store. The bumper literally takes 5mim to remove so no issues there. You will have to hollow out a little of the styrofoam bumper padding to clear the brackets but you can tear it out with your fingers. When you tie it into power my suggestion is to run the +/- direct to battery (underhood jump location) and then tie the switch leg into the hi-beam. By doing this it ONLY works on hi and you don't have to run/mount a switch inside. Also I originally had it mounted behind the grill hidden but have since cut and molded the grill so it is open and like it SOOOOOO much better. I will take better pics in the morming.

Thanx for the quick reply ... What kind of molding did you use around the light to where it looks rite .. Maybe a day time pic once you get back .. Again thanx again for your input
Old 07-27-2018, 11:08 PM

I'll get you a day time pic tomorrow, and molding for grill/grating/expanded metal is always easy-vacuum hose or fuel line cut down one side and 45° mitered in the corners like a picture frame
Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 PM

Ok kewl .. Thanx again for your help
Old 07-28-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 C63
Thumbs up

Also not trying to sound like an @$$ in response, but he may be like me. The daily commute is torture UNLESS I'm in something I love driving, so I can't drive to work daily in a beater. Most of my driving is to and from work, so that's where I need something I'm happy in more than anything.
You just nailed my ethos. One Man,One Car,4 Seasons and as much horsepowAh as I can afford.

OP, looks like you have unlimited visibility with that bar...looks like mission accomplished.

Last edited by FactoryFast; 07-28-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by FactoryFast
You just nailed my ethos. One Man,One Car,4 Seasons and as much horsepowAh as I can afford.

OP, looks like you have unlimited visibility with that bar...looks like mission accomplished.
As far as this went it was infinitely function over form....I have a genuine NEED for as much forward light as possible due to my location in the STICKS and also the time I go to my office every morning, around 330am....There was NOTHING wrong with the light while the grill was in front of it but I will admit that as far as asthetics go when on the grill gave the light a slightly yellow hue....so I opened it up, but keep in mind I had another grill on the way prior as this one had some broken tabs on the bottom. The new one will be opened up smaller.
​​​​​​
Old 07-29-2018, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Do you get thumbs up from pick-up drivers now?
Old 07-29-2018, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by G_Money
Do you get thumbs up from pick-up drivers now?
Why would I?
Do people still give thumbs up anymore?
If so are passenger or sports car drivers still allowed to do it?
Are you required to be a smartass when you throw up Ole Thumby or does it just help?
Old 07-29-2018, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why would I?
Do people still give thumbs up anymore?
If so are passenger or sports car drivers still allowed to do it?
Are you required to be a smartass when you throw up Ole Thumby or does it just help?
It's always been my experience living in rural Georgia that pick up drivers always give each other the nod/wave/thumbs up when passing. Same with Jeep drivers.

I don't get why you're trying to attack me, though.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by G_Money
It's always been my experience living in rural Georgia that pick up drivers always give each other the nod/wave/thumbs up when passing. Same with Jeep drivers.

I don't get why you're trying to attack me, though.
What part of Georgia?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What part of Georgia?
Athens area.