C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

ILS Brightness Issues??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by milan25
Just making i clear are you all talking about the Intelligent Lighting System (ILS)
Yes, these.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:06 AM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Does the adjustment mess up the ILS auto high beam? I'd worry making such changes would interfere with the black 'box' that my ILS cuts around approaching cars would be misaligned.
no, it doesn't. The adjustment is just for the height, there's another adjustment screw for the spread. The auto high beam sensors are on the windshield and just decides whether the high beams are supposed to be activated or not. The adjustment screw is for the headlight housing, just for a starting point or reference. So, the internal "micro" adjustments are still done inside the assembly, like when you turn the steering wheel, inclines on the road and such.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM

2017 C43
I've always found MB factory settings to be too conservative. So far, i have adjusted my previous w204 with bi-xenons and my last c207, which also had the ILS headlights. Now, this on my w205. Its an easy fix so i really don't mind.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by mo11
no, it doesn't. The adjustment is just for the height, there's another adjustment screw for the spread. The auto high beam sensors are on the windshield and just decides whether the high beams are supposed to be activated or not. The adjustment screw is for the headlight housing, just for a starting point or reference. So, the internal "micro" adjustments are still done inside the assembly, like when you turn the steering wheel, inclines on the road and such.
ILS on my car isn't just high beams or not though, it's the full matrix high beam control where gaps are cut into the high beams to avoid dazzle.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:16 PM

2017 C43
ILS on my car isn't just high beams or not though, it's the full matrix high beam control where gaps are cut into the high beams to avoid dazzle.
Yes, i know what you're talking about. It's what i have as well.

This is the adjustment screw for the height.

This is the adjustment screw for the spread.

The adjustments that we're making is basically a reference point at which these "gaps" (as you would call them) start.
When you turn the wheel left or right the light follows. And when you're driving and the road dips or you have a heavy load the "intelligent" light system adjusts the height to compensate for road conditions and vehicle load to avoid glare to oncoming vehicles. All of these light dazzle has to start somewhere. This is what we're adjusting. Some people like me, find the start or reference point too low. So, we fool the system by adjusting these screws. The functions remain the same.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
That is not legal in the USA for some ridiculous reason.

Our cars just turn the high beams on and off according to surroundings.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Adjusting these ILS screws don't need any programming?

Originally Posted by mo11
Yes, i know what you're talking about. It's what i have as well.

This is the adjustment screw for the height.

This is the adjustment screw for the spread.

The adjustments that we're making is basically a reference point at which these "gaps" (as you would call them) start.
When you turn the wheel left or right the light follows. And when you're driving and the road dips or you have a heavy load the "intelligent" light system adjusts the height to compensate for road conditions and vehicle load to avoid glare to oncoming vehicles. All of these light dazzle has to start somewhere. This is what we're adjusting. Some people like me, find the start or reference point too low. So, we fool the system by adjusting these screws. The functions remain the same.
Do we need any programming done for these adjustments with the screws? Any risk of breaking anything if when adjusting them?