C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one advantage to owing a C63 in Canada...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
I've found and read as much as I could stomach of the Chevron 94 postings that some of you posted, and also did my own Google search on Chevron 94 problems in BC.

What I THINK I am seeing is that a number of people with forcefed (turbo or blower) engines reported that they got detonation on Canadian Chevron 94 octane when running tunes that work fine on American 91 or 92 octane fuel.

There is also unfortunately talk that is way vague on "fuel system problems", which is never described beyond that (unless it's buried way deeper in one or more threads that I thought were getting repetitive enough for me to abandon them).

These same threads generally lament the demise of Husky's 94 octane, and say that Shell 91 octane is better than Chevron 94, and WILL support those aggressive tunes that Chevron 94 will not. They also say that many U.S. gas stations near the border buy substandard batches of fuel and sell them to Canadians who cross the border weekly to fill up at U.S. versus Canadian prices (we pay $1.52 per LITER in BC for high octane fuel).

On the other hand, my BC Vancouver Island motorcycling friends, most of whom ride Harleys, which do not require super high octane fuel, say their bikes run best on the Chevron 94.

It's all less than "clear" what is causing the reported problems, and what the problems beyond detonation with an aggressive tune might be.

My personal experience with Chevron 94, purchased in Parksville, BC, and used in both my last car (2016 Mustang GT with Roush COI, exhaust and tune) and my current Harley motorcycle, and now my C63, has been great with zero issues. My Harley, by the way, is built and tuned pretty aggressively (makes 55% more power (naturally aspirated) than it did when stock) shows cold cranking pressure of 210 front and rear cylinders, and yet it seems to absolutely love the Chevron 94.

So naturally, I am confused when I read about these Chevron 94 issues.

What's the detailed story on what is going on? (And don't just repeat the story about Chevron erroneously mixing 94 with 87 octane at the refinery - that occurred in 2015 in BC and was supposedly a one-time error, and was covered widely on TV))

And finally, my actual reason for using Cjevron 94 has been to avoid Ethanol. Is Shell 91 an ethanol or non-ethanol blend?

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 05-07-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
In New Brunswick Shell 91 V-Power Nitro is ethanol free.

Read No. 11 re alcohol content in Shell 91 V-Power Nitro:

http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/...plus-faqs.html
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Mort
In New Brunswick Shell 91 V-Power Nitro is ethanol free.

Read No. 11 re alcohol content in Shell 91 V-Power Nitro:

http://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/...plus-faqs.html
Ah, thank-you! THAT is what I needed to see. I'll have to see if there is a high volume Shell gas station in my town where I can get FRESH fuel (vitally important on the motorcycle, which is used only "on good days" all winter. Yes, I do add StaBil, but if the gas is old BEFORE you add the Stabil, it's too late).

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Geezz. Its like living in that Groundhog Day movie.
Everything has that repetitious, circular feel to it.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Sorry if you somehow feel you're going in circles. I don't feel that way. I have an apparently definitive answer now to ONE of my questions: Shell 91 is apparently Ethanol-free in Canada. That means it passes one test that is important to me.

But, notice the lack of responses to the other question: What is it that Chevron 94 does (besides the irrelevant to me apparent knocking when running aggressive tunes) that is so bad? People that say a product is "bad" without giving specifics that are relevant to my usage and needs, don't impress me. Give me facts, not unsupported opinions.

And dont try to obscure the lack of specifics by accusing me of Groundhog Day behavior, Instead, answer the damn question I asked. Or, just shut up and let someone else answer it without the drama.

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Sorry if you somehow feel you're going in circles. I don't feel that way. I have an apparently definitive answer now to ONE of my questions: Shell 91 is apparently Ethanol-free in Canada. That means it passes one test that is important to me.

But, notice the lack of responses to the other question: What is it that Chevron 94 does (besides the irrelevant to me apparent knocking when running aggressive tunes) that is so bad? People that say a product is "bad" without giving specifics that are relevant to my usage and needs, don't impress me. Give me facts, not unsupported opinions.

And dont try to obscure the lack of specifics by accusing me of Groundhog Day behavior, Instead, answer the damn question I asked. Or, just shut up and let someone else answer it without the drama.

Jim G
Let me assist.

How is the Shell 91 with ethanol manifesting as better?
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Shell 91 in Canada does NOT contain ethanol.
Is Shell 91 an ethanol or non-ethanol blend?
Remember that time I made a comment about a certain individual who doesn't read posts from others before replying with an opinion without any facts?

Yeah, that person should stop that. Their technical credibility is completely destroyed now...
The following users liked this post:
604 C63 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
What is it that Chevron 94 does (besides the irrelevant to me apparent knocking when running aggressive tunes) that is so bad? People that say a product is "bad" without giving specifics that are relevant to my usage and needs, don't impress me. Give me facts, not unsupported opinions.
I'm not even sure how to reply to that comment. Here's one article to read.
http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue...ineBasics.html

I can send you more advanced stuff on how fuel works after you read the basics.

You asked a question more than once that was answered the first time you asked.
604 C63 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
THAT IS RICH. So you can meander all over the place and around and down memory lane and over to talk about motorcycles and back but I better hurry up and get to the chase?

GUESS WHAT? I have already answered it. TWICE.

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-07-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
I'm not even sure how to reply to that comment. Here's one article to read.
http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue...ineBasics.html

I can send you more advanced stuff on how fuel works after you read the basics.

You asked a question more than once that was answered the first time you asked.
Sorry, but despite all the rants about my supposedly bad behavior, STILL no one has told me what bad things Chevron 94 does beyond not supporting aggressive tunes in forcefed engines. Here, I'll highlight the question so you can clearly see it: What does Chevron 94 do that is bad that is relevant to a C63 engine (which is NOT forcedfed NOR aggressively tuned).

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
You dont remember reading anything re glazed fuel socks, fuel rail pressure warnings, fuel gauges, timing issues, nothing? Really?

Just use 94. Go for it. I cant be bothered.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:28 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
You dont remember reading anything re glazed fuel socks, fuel rail pressure warnings, fuel gauges, timing issues, nothing? Really?

Just use 94. Go for it. I cant be bothered.
Finally some specifics. Ok, let's analyze them and see if they apply to us,a nd how they manifest:

- Does a C63 (NOT a forcefed track car!) have a fuel sock, or a fuel FILTER? Either way, have any C63 owners had a problem with "glazing" of them?

- Have C63 street owners (not owners of forcefed track cars) experienced fuel rail pressure warnings?

- Has any C63 reported any fuel gauge issues traceable to Chevron 94?

- Timing issues would seem to be irrelevant since a stock, or even probably a Eurocharged tune, does not require 94 octane, so timing under load / heat conditions will not need to be retarded, right? (Unlike the forcefed vehicles)

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Finally some specifics. Ok, let's analyze them and see if they apply to us,a nd how they manifest:

- Does a C63 (NOT a forcefed track car!) have a fuel sock, or a fuel FILTER? Either way, have any C63 owners had a problem with "glazing" of them?

- Have C63 street owners (not owners of forcefed track cars) experienced fuel rail pressure warnings?

- Has any C63 reported any fuel gauge issues traceable to Chevron 94?

- Timing issues would seem to be irrelevant since a stock, or even probably a Eurocharged tune, does not require 94 octane, so timing under load / heat conditions will not need to be retarded, right? (Unlike the forcefed vehicles)

Jim G
I don't think you're grasping the point here. Who cares what they do to it. That "higher rated" octane fuel does NOT perform how a "higher rated" octane fuel should.

Maybe they mix a little boostane (search that on here and you'll get the joke) in with 91 achieve it. Likely some sort of other harmful additive. Google additives that increase octane and their effects.

If that Chevron 94 actually went through more refining steps to obtain its "rated" octane level. It wouldn't under perform. Likely safe to say something else is in it that could potentially be harmful to your engine.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
I don't think you're grasping the point here. Who cares what they do to it. That "higher rated" octane fuel does NOT perform how a "higher rated" octane fuel should.

Maybe they mix a little boostane (search that on here and you'll get the joke) in with 91 achieve it. Likely some sort of other harmful additive. Google additives that increase octane and their effects.

If that Chevron 94 actually went through more refining steps to obtain its "rated" octane level. It wouldn't under perform. Likely safe to say something else is in it that could potentially be harmful to your engine.
Now we are aoparently into innuendo versus facts. This tells me a lot about this maligning of Chevron 94. I'm not impressed with the answer given to my specific questions.

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Now we are aoparently into innuendo versus facts. This tells me a lot about this maligning of Chevron 94. I'm not impressed with the answer given to my specific questions.

Jim G
I don't care.

I've made my own decision, for me and my car, based on personal history and the opinion and experience of others I know and trust. Is the evidence circumstantial? Yes. But there is enough of it that I do not think it's coincidental. This isn't a court of law, I dont have to prove anything to you.....its a court of public opinion. I have expressed and am entitled to mine and you to yours. I have relayed that information to you, do with it what you will. I don't really care how you feel about it, what you do with it, or what you run in your car, your bike, your lawnmower.

You have 5 weeks of C63 ownership, and you have read the internet. You are good to go. Laissez les bon temps roulez! Bon chance.

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-07-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
But but but that dyno testing showing US 92 octane making more power than BC 94 is meaningless, cos that was a Subaru.

LOL.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
But but but that dyno testing showing US 92 octane making more power than BC 94 is meaningless, cos that was a Subaru.

LOL.
If I get as stubborn as him in 20 years just shoot me. Ok?
604 C63 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Thought this funny in light of last nights discussion.

Drop my kid off for basketball camp at a community centre and these were the cars parked around me. An Escalade, a Porsche, an S550 couple and a Bentley. Immediately off screen are an X6M and two Ranger Rovers. Me and a Golf R are the crappiest cars on the block. This is a pretty typical block in this town. I have parked in blocks where the Bentley would be the bum......at UBC!!! lol

They might be sweating the extra cost at the supermarket in Texas, but they sure aren't here. Pretty sure the 94 is fresh lol
Damn D. You live in a great neighbourhood.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Damn D. You live in a great neighbourhood.
I'm in a pretty middle of the pack neighbourhood, but this town is just absolutely rotten with quality cars. It's a little nuts really. And as city's go it's not that big, so the spillover from one neighbourhood to the other is substantial. The funniest part to me is thats outside a community center, where people go to use the cheap gym

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-07-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Frustration is speakin' here and I may live to regret it but for cryin' out loud Jim, give it a rest. Please!
You do what you think is best for you and your car and leave the rest of us to wallow in our own little worlds of varying knowledge and experience/ignorance. Go use Chevron 94 or Shell 91. What ever turns you crank.
Me? Costco 91 works just fine thank you. Now there is a high turn over station and 91 is only a dime more expensive than 89.
604 C63 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Costco 91 works just fine thank you. Now there is a high turn over station and 91 is only a dime more expensive than 89.
This is what gets me.....

I understand why gas is cheaper in Victoria/Nanaimo than it is in Vancouver. We have all those translink taxes. But why is it 8 cents a liter cheaper still in Duncan? The only way to get the gas there is through Victoria or Nanaimo! That makes no sense!
Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
And I'm the one that gets called out, saying I need to get "a sense of humor".

We'd have a much better sense of humor if we didn't have to wade through all of your non-sensery daily.

I bet you just can't wait until jasonoff, Doug, 604, myself, alex, and many others who have tried to give you a few tips here and there just stop posting, and then you and all the other newbie random stream-of-consciousness ramblers can rule this place unabated.

Well add me to the list of people like jcart and earl and ingeneur who have been run out of here by rampant retardary, and decided that this place is a waste of time and have better things to do than bicker with idiots.

Good luck.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 05-07-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S

LOL.
That was a FORCEFED engine, not a naturally aspirated engine. You BET it makes a difference - a HUGE difference. But you already knew that didn't you.

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
This is what gets me.....

I understand why gas is cheaper in Victoria/Nanaimo than it is in Vancouver. We have all those translink taxes. But why is it 8 cents a liter cheaper still in Duncan? The only way to get the gas there is through Victoria or Nanaimo! That makes no sense!
Political correctness allows me only to say local market forces at play in Duncan as I understand it having lived 15 minutes north of there for 8 yr and buying gas there.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
That was a FORCEFED engine, not a naturally aspirated engine. You BET it makes a difference - a HUGE difference. But you already knew that didn't you.

Jim G
Turbo motors make more power with lower octane.
Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-08-2017 at 10:24 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: one advantage to owing a C63 in Canada...