C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Why I chose Yokohama Avid Ascend's for my new C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Why I chose Yokohama Avid Ascend's for my new C300

As I posted in my 1st W205 thread on "Logo Projector" long story short - I swamped my daily-driver/airport Mercedes last day of April getting to the airport during a Arkansas monsoon - while my flight was delayed I called my minions back at the dealership and sold myself a new 2016 C300 that had been hanging/kindof-lost in inventory - and had it delivered to the airport so I would have a fresh daily-driver/airport car when I got back Monday afternoon.

I have heavy metal MB's at both my AR - and real heavy sh*t at my Cali house - for my 5 miles to/from home to the office - and 16 miles to/from the airport - the new generation C would be just fine.

The 16 was base model - but for the price I could sell it to myself for - kindof a no brainer.

For "fun" - I will be posting here on some of the not-righteous-to-OE/MB little stuff I will do,

Tires for any Mercedes are ALWAYS a strong conversation - including for the W205 - let me tell you why I had the OE Pirelli's pulled off - and replaced with my choice Yokohama Avid Ascends.

Pirelli Extended Mobility - to put something straight - the OE Pirelli's are "Extended Mobility" class tires - a "Run-Flat-Type" and technically not "Run-Flat-Class" tire.
Extended Mobility tires have been developed with a stiffer sidewall construction that will "allow" driving up at limited speed/road-condition a limited distance like up to 40 miles. Extended Mobility tires were developed so car manufacturers could eliminate the "5th tire - spare" for their volume production models - and on the consumer side another justification is that a Extended Mobility tire offers some additional safety (when punctured") over the thinner flexible sidewalls of low profile and "regular tires when punctured dramatic loss of control and wheel damage easily results.
The "Run-Flat-Class" of earlier designs has aluminum discs inside the tire wall (originally designed for semi-truck use) that this class had a range up to 100 miles - again at limited/speed/road-condition.
Original "Run Flat Class" tire design as adopted for passenger tires was horrible driving experience/low-mileage life/very expensive replacement,
Extended Mobility - as compared to original Run-Flat-Class - much improved drive-ability/longer mileage life/lower replacement cost - again as compared to Run-Flat-Class.

Why I Didn't Favor the Pirelli's - Overall the Pirelli's were "fine" for my daily driver however for me there were a couple of things that I noted (1) on wider turns at speed - or on quick hard turns - I felt a "pull" against the direction of my turn - which was kindof acceptable - but not "normal" and this "pull" in my mind was the natural by-product of the stiffer sidewalls (2) frankly I am put off by the "thinner" tread - not as much rubber characteristic of Extended Mobility (3) on the rainy afternoon back from the airport - and knowing my tires had all of 30 miles and not broken in yet - OK on street feel - but didn't feel "planted" (4) like almost ALL OE tires including "normal" I fully expected this 1st set to last top's 20K - I suspect all tiires/any type provided by the tire manufacturers to all car manufacturers have shorter life than 2nd round replacements - I see this ALL the time over the past 5-6 years - 1st set from the factory goes zip - 2nd set replacements same tire - almost always goes 50% longer than same tire installed at the factory.

What I saw when I shopped - like for all car models especially online - you have wide/wide range of replacement choices brand/tire-type - I wanted all season - I am usually a Michelin guy - since I have 17's same size - broad assortment that doesn't break the bank - I picked UTQG rating - passed on the new/Michelin Defender just to be non-Michelin this time - and picked the Avid Ascend

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=Base%20Model

So Far Fine - Yes not quite as Sporty - set at 38 PSI in 2/3 weeks might take it down to 36 - the "pull" is like gone - LOT quieter - yes "smoother" - and I feel more secure with more/deeper tread on the road

Anyway... for what it's worth .. if I get a flat - I have a can of TireFlat in the trunk and I/you have MB Roadside to come grab me so I don't sweat that part - at all..

That's the story... no biggie..
Attached Thumbnails Why I chose Yokohama Avid Ascend's for my new C300-20170512_225945.jpg  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Should have purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires for $20 a piece less..

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...xury%20Package

Last edited by MASSC450; 05-13-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 AM
dtd

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C300
Originally Posted by MASSC450
Should have purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires for $20 a piece less..

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...xury%20Package

How about Continental tires, mine come with those. I wonder why MB don't set the same size for the front and rear tires.