C63S Coupe spoiler - safety question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C63s Coupe
C63S Coupe spoiler - safety question

I have a couple of questions actually:

1) Am I crazy for thinking the coupe looks better in the back without the rear spoiler?

2) Are there any safety issues involved with taking it off and leaving it off (not adding another spoiler)? I know its purpose is to provide downforce on the rear at higher speeds.

I currently drive a BMW e92 M3. I've also driven an e92 335i. I was planning to move to the M4 but after seeing the 2017 c63 S coupe and test driving it, I was sold. I plan to visit my dealer in the next few weeks to place the order.

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on the car, and I've wondered this about the spoiler but havent been able to find any information on this

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Looks better IMO with the spoiler. But obviously this is a matter of opinion.

Of course the car is safe to drive without the spoiler; not all coupes come with a spoiler, and they're still street legal Just how much of an effect will it impart (downforce) at triple digit speeds? Who knows. But if you're planning on spending any significant amount of time at such speeds, you wouldn't settle for a lip spoiler anyway; you'd want an actual wing, like on the former Black Series.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
The spoilers on these cars serve no real purpose except it looks cool if that's your thing. Its not like a Porsche or other cars where the spoiler is actually built in as a structural component of the car and provides downforce at speed.