Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

New Facebook thing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
New Facebook thing

I just noticed mbworld was taking ages to load and that our works content filter was causing it. I looked at the page source and found that it was the facebook.net script. I blocked it with adblock and all is well. Just thought I would let you know this can cause loading issues for people behind company filters.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I just noticed mbworld was taking ages to load and that our works content filter was causing it. I looked at the page source and found that it was the facebook.net script. I blocked it with adblock and all is well. Just thought I would let you know this can cause loading issues for people behind company filters.
Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we are aware that this could potentially cause problems with corporate firewalls and content filtering components. We are looking into developing an opt-in module that would mask some of this content for this purpose.
Old Today, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bmw x1
Thanks for the heads-up! Blocking the facebook.net script with adblock is a great solution for speeding up mbworld.
Old Today, 07:05 AM

Received 231 Likes on 173 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we are aware that this could potentially cause problems with corporate firewalls and content filtering components. We are looking into developing an opt-in module that would mask some of this content for this purpose.

That is a splendid idea...but, you would be wasting your time. We (us business owners) can do DPI "at will" (this is Deep Packet Inspection). We can and do. Assuming that the IT staff is also blocking QUIC (UDP 80/443) as they should be...well, FB is in general one of the first things blocked.

The moment a system hits the site, it lights up Facebook and Google services to see if it can credential from a known user account via cookie. If I, as a business owner and network admin want to block FB, I can and will. If a staff member tries to circumvent our network policies - well, they get fired. In the second image you can see what our network content system blocked from a single - fresh hit to mbworld.org, this was from one of our servers where it has never seen your site before.