GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GLS / GL reliability, how is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gl550
GLS / GL reliability, how is it?

Got a question for you guys. I'm inching closer to placing an order for a GLS, but my current E class has been an absolute dog when it comes to reliability... it's been in and out of service more or less consistently the whole time I've owned it... for all kinds of miscellaneous reasons, things just seem to go bad with it. It's also got this habit of rattling in mysterious places. Something service previously acknowledged, but couldn't locate the source of the noise. Anyway, last week, my warranty expired, something I did not look forward to, and sure enough, like clockwork, today the check engine light came on... again... for the 3rd time, in the past 2 months. Previously it was an oxygen sensor, a bad EGR valve, and something else related to the ad blue system. All covered by warranty, but obviously whatever is up now, won't be. I'm just pissed at the car right now. I've had more problems with it than all the cars I've previously owned combined.

Anyway, that said, I LOVED all the GLs that I test drove. I didn't hear any rattling, in any of them, and the ride itself was wonderful. I really want to get the GLS, but this E class just left such a bad aftertaste.. I'm trying to convince myself that that there's no problem with Mercedes overall... I just got unlucky with my particular car. So, if you've previously owned GLs, did you have many problem with them? How reliable would they say they are? Also, did you experience any rattling/noises developing over time?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Review

2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
SUVS

Rating 8/100 Background It’s the little things that make top-tier luxury vehicles special. It’s the solid click as the door closes, or the subtle heft to a button or a knob that lets you know corners weren’t cut. Mercedes has been getting the little things right for a long time, and this holds true for the company’s largest and most versatile SUV, the 2016 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class. Ever since the current GL’s latest redesign a few years back, its competitors have been scrambling to keep up.

Read the full story: https://apple.news/Asq9hdgevOQua_Q0efz4U_A
Old 03-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL350
Ive had my GL now for almost 2 years and with over 54K miles on it, I am not regretting it. Ive had minor issues (TPM and driver seat adjuster buttons going bad) that the warranty covered. Beside those two things, the car has been rock solid.

Ive read other people post about the issues they have had. Maybe I lucked out or I could be one of the few that troll this site on a frequent basis that doesnt have any issues on this car. I think a lot of people come on to this website when they uncover an issue with their car.

I did make sure to buy a warranty that covers me to 125K miles. I wouldnt hesitate to consider buying another one when it comes times for a newer model or when the warranty runs out.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:23 PM

GLS450
Keep in mind, most will come to this site to express a problem they are having. Considering the number of GLs sold this number is very low.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
I really like my GL but don't side with Jerome. I have a laundry list of "little things" that IMO should have never left the factory. Even my rear passenger door started making a farting sound when I close it (the soft-door activating) even though the door is completely shut. I'll list out the issues when I have time - but there a plenty and it's not the tooling or the quality - it comes to how poorly they're put together at the factory. Plain and simple. And it's not just the GL, you comb this board and every Mercedes that's made here in Alabama is riddled with QC issues. So will you be happier? Maybe. Maybe not. You just need to get "lucky" and get one that the plant actually cared about making to spec. The people who work there simply don't care.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
I really like my GL but don't side with Jerome. I have a laundry list of "little things" that IMO should have never left the factory. Even my rear passenger door started making a farting sound when I close it (the soft-door activating) even though the door is completely shut. I'll list out the issues when I have time - but there a plenty and it's not the tooling or the quality - it comes to how poorly they're put together at the factory. Plain and simple. And it's not just the GL, you comb this board and every Mercedes that's made here in Alabama is riddled with QC issues. So will you be happier? Maybe. Maybe not. You just need to get "lucky" and get one that the plant actually cared about making to spec. The people who work there simply don't care.
Country of assembly of any product means nothing these days. The quality control practices are consistent across plants around the world. People simply feel better when they have a car built by a German, just like they would like their watch be built by a Swiss, their meal prepared by a French chef etc... The reality is that there are good and bad business practices exercised everywhere (refer to the recent VW scandal that occurred in Germany, by German engineers)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 PM

GLS450
Count, comb any auto board and you will hear the same complaints. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending MB or any other manufacture. My wife has a Mazda and it is plagued with little annoying issues. I swear I will never buy another. I'm buying a GLS to replace it. I have a 2010 E-Class since brand new and have no problems. You and my wife got bad builds. Again, totally unacceptable.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by aggst1
The reality is that there are good and bad business practices exercised everywhere (refer to the recent VW scandal that occurred in Germany, by German engineers)
Exactly!
Old 03-03-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Porsche GT3, 2017 Mercedes GLS550 White/saddle, 2017 Ford Raptor
Originally Posted by jerome8283
Count, comb any auto board and you will hear the same complaints. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending MB or any other manufacture. My wife has a Mazda and it is plagued with little annoying issues. I swear I will never buy another. I'm buying a GLS to replace it. I have a 2010 E-Class since brand new and have no problems. You and my wife got bad builds. Again, totally unacceptable.
Yep, we've had multiple issues with our 2011 Toyota Sienna. And now going with a GLS too. We shall see, however.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
as I posted in a different thread..

1st generation GLs in our family... X164
one 08GL 550 - ~50K miles, no engine issues but had some weird tranny issue - was bought back by MB
09 gl 550 - ~65K miles - no issues
07GL 450 - almost 90K...
2 cousins with -- :
12 GL450 102K miles, no issues
11 GL550 ~60-65K miles - no known issues

2nd generation X166
13 GL550 32K miles - no issues
13 GL450 52K miles - no issues, had a leak once- was fixed, turbo related
14 GL63 - long story -- bought back by MB USA

17 GLS 450 on order
17 GLS 63 pending

yea we kinda just love the GL ..
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
I will say for the record there are many other attributes about the GL that I do love. I think the standard GL and the more sporty GL550 (and of course GL63), is the best looking full-sized SUV on the market. Beautiful design outside in. And the GL550 V8 is absolutely the best V8 I've ever owned, bar none. Also, the interior room, comfort and safety technology is best-in-class. Each day I get inside my GL and I drool over the Walnut wood trim that's thick and refined - the steering wheel alone is beautiful to the touch and eyes. And it's a looker. I just need to get a few things attended to and know after they're sorted out my experience will improve. Even though I have some issues, it's been 100% reliable and I'm learning to look past a few of them, because as noted above, the GL has a lot going for it.

PS - My wife's 2012 C350 has been absolutely flawless since new, one of the reason's why I decided to switch brands from Land Rover to Mercedes. Her Benz was made in South Africa. Her old BMW was also made there. Both cars - flawless. I'm still not convinced the Alabama plant puts the same level of QC and convinced poor management is poor management, regardless of country of origin.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 03-04-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
My GL has a laundry list of little stuff going wrong. A real PITA. And let's not even talk about the scary stuff going on with diesel engine failures (do a search for the current ongoing thread on this topic). And the JD Power reliability ratings for MB in general are not very good.

I never buy extended warranties for anything. Over the years, I've come out well ahead that way. Sure, sometimes stuff fails. But the money I saved not buying extended warranties more than paid for those instances. But, with my GL and MB's known reliability issues, I purchased one with my GL. I'm not out of the original warranty, but it looks like the extended warranty will be a good purchase when I am.

Oh, yes. Don't forget to add in the really poor customer service from MBUSA. I have a harsh shifting transmission (4>3) and a vibration that the dealer agrees is present and shouldn't be. MBUSA wouldn't do anything and told me, in essence, to go tell somebody who cares.
The following users liked this post:
Count Laszlo (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
FWIW, 24 months, 20,000 miles, and essentially ZERO issues.

(The coolant level light came on once with a couple thousand miles and a few ounces were added by the dealer. This seems to be a common problem once the fluids settle-in from the factory.)