Exhaust is going quieter and it is definitely not in my head

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Exhaust is going quieter and it is definitely not in my head

My car would be hitting 5000km in a day or two and it has been 2 months since I got it. I made a video of me driving in sports+ a month after I got it and I made another one day before yesterday. You can definitely see the difference between them. The exhaust isn't as raspy anymore. The bangs on upshifts are getting quieter as well.

On a side note, if I do pump 94 octane, it does get much louder and kind of gets its voice back. But even then I feel it isn't as loud as before.

When I first got the car, it made a bunch of kids cry rivers because they though someone was shooting people around. Girls would scream in fear and boyfriends started to pull their girlfriends to the side of the road as if the car is going to explode.

All that still happens, but way fewer in number. And I am missing it. What gives?

Last edited by munis; 02-06-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by munis

On a side note, if I do pump 94 octane, it does get much louder and kind of gets its voice back.?
It isn't unusual for an exhaust to change in volume and tone as it breaks in. But the octane thing is 100% in your head.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
Yea, i cant do a quiet car especially in my C43. Its why i just went with a resonator delete and muffler delete . OHHH are those snap and crackles and pop soooo much louder and scarier. The drone can be bad at times honestly(when cold and in "C" mode), but when i get into it and can control the gears (When in S+ & M mode when the trans and engine is warm) it just puts a huge grin on my face.

Last edited by ShazV6; 02-07-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
It isn't unusual for an exhaust to change in volume and tone as it breaks in. But the octane thing is 100% in your head.

Any explanation behind why this happens? Does the exhaust pipes gunk up or something? Is it like getting dirty being an issue? I would be really interested on what exactly causes it to become quieter.

To be honest I really do feel the difference between 91 and 94 octane. May be you are right and it is in my head, but I honestly felt it.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Exhaust pipes will coat with soot over time. This will take away some harshness from the tone. It will not be a drastic difference.

The only thing I can thing of for the difference in octane is that the car may be performing better with the higher octane. You may be pulling timing with the lower octane. It is unlikely that the Ecu would be able to detect the differences unless you are getting bad 91 octane. It is a possibility though. Are you getting 91 and 94 from the same place? Is the gas station that you get 91 reputable and busy?

When i ran my eclipse I had problems with some 92 octane. I would get detonation at medium boost. I got it from a decent gas station near my house. I started shopping around for gas and found that gas from another station performed better. I could tell a noticeable difference since timing wasn't being pulled due to knock.

Last edited by Dthquazi; 02-06-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dthquazi
Exhaust pipes will coat with soot over time. This will take away some harshness from the tone. It will not be a drastic difference.

Anything I can do to prevent it? Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Anything I can do to prevent it? Thanks for the feedback!
You really can't. It is just a byproduct of combustion engines. It doesn't mean that your car is running dirty or not well. Just happens. Also I added to my post above.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Any explanation behind why this happens? Does the exhaust pipes gunk up or something? Is it like getting dirty being an issue? I would be really interested on what exactly causes it to become quieter.

To be honest I really do feel the difference between 91 and 94 octane. May be you are right and it is in my head, but I honestly felt it.
Particularly with aftermarket exhausts there is sometimes packing material in mufflers that breaks in. Even with OE exhausts simply heat cycling everything, burning off packing grease, and adding some carbon can change things.

Are you throwing the car in Sport+ when you use high octane gas, but not low octane?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
My car would be hitting 5000km in a day or two and it has been 2 months since I got it. I made a video of me driving in sports+ a month after I got it and I made another one day before yesterday. You can definitely see the difference between them. The exhaust isn't as raspy anymore. The bangs on upshifts are getting quitter as well.

On a side note, if I do pump 94 octane, it does get much louder and kind of gets its voice back. But even then I feel it isn't as loud as before.

When I first got the car, it made a bunch of kids cry rivers because they though someone was shooting people around. Girls would scream in fear and boyfriends started to pull their girlfriends to the side of the road as if the car is going to explode.

All that still happens, but way fewer in number. And I am missing it. What gives?
I'm at about 10k km after 3.5 months (yes, I drive it way too much )
and I've noticed the upshift bang sounds less "tinny" and less violent lol. That being said, a lot of people were saying that this happened after the dealership updated the code on the car, but I'm guessing neither of us has had the car in to the dealership for service since purchase.

I'm thinking it's a combination of a couple of different things, these are purely my opinion and could be completely wrong btw lol

1) A little soot like dthquazi said could be adding to this.
2) It's been hella cold in Ontario recently. The cold in general could be contributing to the reduced shrillness of the upshift bang.
3) Exhaust system is getting worn in. My cousin has an IS350 with the F-Sport exhaust and her exhaust has gotten a hell of a lot deeper since she first picked it up.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)

In my opinion you should feel a difference, as the engine will allow more ignition advance with higher octane = +HP

As for the exhaust, maybe your ears have just climatized to the sound?
I can't believe pipes gunking up or anything such as would be a factor.

Last edited by 1Gunner; 02-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dthquazi

The only thing I can thing of for the difference in octane is that the car may be performing better with the higher octane. You may be pulling timing with the lower octane. It is unlikely that the Ecu would be able to detect the differences unless you are getting bad 91 octane. It is a possibility though. Are you getting 91 and 94 from the same place? Is the gas station that you get 91 reputable and busy?

When i ran my eclipse I had problems with some 92 octane. I would get detonation at medium boost. I got it from a decent gas station near my house. I started shopping around for gas and found that gas from another station performed better. I could tell a noticeable difference since timing wasn't being pulled due to knock.
I was taking 91 Nitro V from Shell which apparently according to a lot of forums has the least amount of ethanol percentage in Canada, which gets the best mileage for the car. The 94 was from Petro Canada who apparently does dilute the fuel a little bit with ethanol. Even then because of it being 94, technically it should give you a bit more power if the car successfully detects it and advances the timing. Both of the above companies provide tier 1 fuel so you can't go wrong with either of them

But the car to me atleast sounds louder with 94. I will see if I can make a comparison video.

Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Are you throwing the car in Sport+ when you use high octane gas, but not low octane?
When I pull for hearing the exhaust notes, it is always in Sports+ with all my windows down haha.

Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
I'm at about 10k km after 3.5 months (yes, I drive it way too much )
and I've noticed the upshift bang sounds less "tinny" and less violent lol. That being said, a lot of people were saying that this happened after the dealership updated the code on the car, but I'm guessing neither of us has had the car in to the dealership for service since purchase.

I'm thinking it's a combination of a couple of different things, these are purely my opinion and could be completely wrong btw lol

1) A little soot like dthquazi said could be adding to this.
2) It's been hella cold in Ontario recently. The cold in general could be contributing to the reduced shrillness of the upshift bang.
3) Exhaust system is getting worn in. My cousin has an IS350 with the F-Sport exhaust and her exhaust has gotten a hell of a lot deeper since she first picked it up.

Yeah I haven't visited the service dept even once after I got my car. So it definitely isn't any ecu updates for both of us.

About your point 2, shouldn't the opposite be true? Shouldn't the car sound louder in cold because the air is more dense, so you get better combustion out of it? This is all speculation ofcourse. Can you explain why would the car be louder in warmer air? Because that might be it. Last month when the car was really loud, the air actually was warmer. So that would explain it. Now temps are dropping to -10.

I swear the first time I put the car in sports+ mode in downtown Toronto, everyone, I mean everyone within 200m in every direction stopped dead in the street to source out where the gunshots were coming from.

Last edited by munis; 02-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
'2020 Ford Raptor w/ Racaros / 2018 AMG GTC / KTM Superduke 1290R
I was taking 91 Nitro V from Shell which apparently according to a lot of forums has the least amount of ethanol percentage in Canada, which gets the best mileage for the car. The 94 was from Petro Canada who apparently does dilute the fuel a little bit with ethanol. Even then because of it being 94, technically it should give you a bit more power if the car successfully detects it and advances the timing. Both of the above companies provide tier 1 fuel so you can't go wrong with either of them

But the car to me atleast sounds louder with 94. I will see if I can make a comparison video.

When I pull for hearing the exhaust notes, it is always in Sports+ with all my windows down haha.

Yeah I haven't visited the service dept even once after I got my car. So it definitely isn't any ecu updates for both of us.

About your point 2, shouldn't the opposite be true? Shouldn't the car sound louder in cold because the air is more dense, so you get better combustion out of it? This is all speculation ofcourse. Can you explain why would the car be louder in warmer air? Because that might be it. Last month when the car was really loud, the air actually was warmer. So that would explain it. Now temps are dropping to -10.

I swear the first time I put the car in sports+ mode in downtown Toronto, everyone, I mean everyone within 200m in every direction stopped dead in the street to source out where the gunshots were coming from.

If your car was manufactured before November 2016, there is an exhaust update from the dealer that supposedly makes the car sound a heck of a lot better as per Rokenr .. he is doing an exhaust comparison video this week on his Instagram between his solar yellow C63S and his Edition 1 C63S that just had the update done .. I am not sure if this update has made its way to North American dealers yet, but worth an ask.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust is going quieter and it is definitely not in my head-screen-shot-2017-02-06-1.17.22-pm.png  
Old 02-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLA250, 2017 C43 Sedan(Arriving in March/April)
The buildings downtown does help with resonating the noise quite a bit though.

Also, I don't think the grade of fuel would make a difference, at least in terms of noise with the pops and bangs, which are artificially created by the exhaust system.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kck77
If your car was manufactured before November 2016, there is an exhaust update from the dealer that supposedly makes the car sound a heck of a lot better as per Rokenr .. he is doing an exhaust comparison video this week on his Instagram between his solar yellow C63S and his Edition 1 C63S that just had the update done .. I am not sure if this update has made its way to North American dealers yet, but worth an ask.
Ooh, I hope this is true! I'll see if my local dealer/AMG 'expert' has heard anything... probably not...
Old 02-06-2017, 05:40 PM

A small skeptical tin-foil hat wearing part of me believes that this is an elaborate ploy by Mercedes to get people to take their car in for an update that secretly makes the car quieter.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM

I'm no physicist, but the below post seems like an interesting read that might back up this theory to some extent.

Why do cold metal plates make less noise?

If the backfire sounds less pronounced, it could be that the cold metal is dampening the sound quite a bit. I guess we are both stuck waiting for warmer weather to test this theory
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
All I know is I absolutely love the PE exhaust and all of it's pops, farts, bangs, crackles and what not.

I certainly hope none of that diminishes over time.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c63 coupe
My car would be hitting 5000km in a day or two and it has been 2 months since I got it. I made a video of me driving in sports+ a month after I got it and I made another one day before yesterday. You can definitely see the difference between them. The exhaust isn't as raspy anymore. The bangs on upshifts are getting quieter as well.

there already was a thread about it and many people were complaining
https://mbworld.org/forums/c43-amg-c...ud-before.html
Old 02-07-2017, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am pretty sure my car went into production sometime in October. Is there anyway to confirm this? Also my car is C43.

Originally Posted by juse
there already was a thread about it and many people were complaining
https://mbworld.org/forums/c43-amg-c...ud-before.html
Read this one already, most of the guys there noticed quiet cars after an update. I did not get any done yet. My temps are really high as well. While pulling in downtown it goes as high as 107C time to time.

Someone in the other thread mentioned something about the 3 sets of valves not opening completely anymore. If this continues, I will probably go back and have the service dept. check that.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Is this problem happening to people with Performance Exhaust or people with standard exhaust? I have PE exhaust and was told by my clear bra installer only a month after I bought the car that my car was quieter than an Edition 1 C63S coupe he also did with PE exhaust! I thought no way, but have noticed the exhaust does not crackle and pop nearly as much after a few months.

Production in October 2016.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
I heard that there is an exhaust software update available. Anyone having issues check with your dealerships.

It hasn't come to Oz yet but Euro/UK do have it available to them.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
'2020 Ford Raptor w/ Racaros / 2018 AMG GTC / KTM Superduke 1290R
Originally Posted by Sanch
I heard that there is an exhaust software update available. Anyone having issues check with your dealerships.

Mentioned this above Sanch! Check out Rokenr on Instagram for a comparison video this week between his Solarbeam C63S Coupe and his Edition 1 C63S that just had the update!
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust is going quieter and it is definitely not in my head-screen-shot-2017-02-08-8.27.46-pm.png   Exhaust is going quieter and it is definitely not in my head-screen-shot-2017-02-06-1.17.22-pm.png  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sanch

Is there an official bulletin on what this is and what it's for? I'm going to ask my local dealer about this ahead of my upcoming service and I know unless I'm armed with all the information, they'll just play dumb...

Edit: Just called the dealer and there are no software updates outstanding. I'm in the UK by the way.

Last edited by Andyroo; 02-09-2017 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
juse (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the crackles and pops are made by excess fuel passed on to the exhaust system, is there anything you can do control this phenomenon and like make more of it happen, haha?

Just asking.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLA250, 2017 C43 Sedan(Arriving in March/April)
If the crackles and pops are made by excess fuel passed on to the exhaust system, is there anything you can do control this phenomenon and like make more of it happen, haha?

Just asking.

​​​​​​The noises made by excess fuel in the exhaust system was from overflow in carburated engines when you lift off the gas. The sounds nowadays are made by spraying a tiny amount of fuel into the exhaust system to simulate the noise of the old carburated engines.

As far as I can tell there's no computer tweak to make it do more of that, but I guess you can get rid of the muffler to make your car louder.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust is going quieter and it is definitely not in my head