Presenting myself and asking for help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes Benz CLK320
Presenting myself and asking for help!!

Hello guys!! Nice to meet you all!!

I´ve been following this forum for several days now, as I´m in a plain search for the best option i can get on purchasing a C36 AMG (kind of my dream)

Im going to tell you my story here in a few worlds so you can know me a little bit, my story and the reason behind me being searching for the dream car!

My name is Damian and i´m from Montevideo, Uruguay (my first language is Spanish so, forgive me for my English related mistakes from now on :P)... I´m a car detailer and i´m 37... Ok, being from Uruguay didn´t let me going for a car like this... it is as simple as that there is not AMG cars for under 50 thousand dollars in Uruguay... This is a difficult country to live in, etc etc...

BUT... In a few days i´m travelling to Barcelona, Spain to work and live there as thanks god, my job is good enough to have a chance in the Old World...

This opens my a hole new world in terms of car options!!!! And I´ve been always in love with the performance style Mercedes brand have, so HERE I AM!!!

I´ve been always used to drive this kind of classic drivable cars... (i just sold my mint Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 Twin Spark... damn, I love that car)... Anyways... so now, in Europe, i have the chance to get a car that I really love... Because it looks AMAZING, it is a classical looked car, with a good history and lets face it... I need a good car that help my image to tell my future customers there that Im a car guy... Driving a solid W202 AMG is my aim here...

I really don´t want to make it too long to read!!! but bottom line:

-I´m fully decided to get the best C36 AMG i can pay immediately i arrive to Spain.
-There are not too many options
-I don´t know the minor but sustancial details i have to look for when im choosing the best option

Are you guys interested in helping me search for the best option i can afford and helping me educating myself regarding this cars??
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
hola amigo and welcome to this forum

if you look for a solid c36 they are difficult to find in clean condition without problems!
you have to look for rust issues, electrical wire harness going bad, water leaks from cracked heads on engine block, 5 speed (1997) auto transmission is weak if not maintained properly.
4 speed automatic transmission from 1993 to 1996 is strong and non electronic, 1997 transmission is electronic

c43 is a newer car but has v8 engine, biggest problems are rust and bad transmission if not serviced properly, there are some other bad things to but nothing big

how much are villing to pay for your dream car?
50.000 thousand dollars is that Uruguay dollars?
depending on your monthly income driving an amg, heavy on gas coz it's fun to drive, keeping up with service and parts, this may be very costly in your country to own an amg

i wish you the best of luck finding a good car you like
Old 03-26-2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks Kowalsky for your reply!!!

I know what you mean about the typical "old car" problems... Rust, of course... Age, wear and tear of parts here and there... Ive red the electrical harness thing on this Mercedes

The water leaks is something i didn´t know it could be an issue in this good motors actually, but it is nice to keep that in mind of course...

I´ve red the transmission differences between 4 and 5 speed ones... I guess the 4 speed is the one i`m aiming, as the important thing for me is not that the car performs like a race car, but to have a good "classic looking car" for me to drive around and enjoy!

I´ve also considered the C43, but there are not many available now and besides, a V8 for a daily driver mmm... maybe it is too much (Besides don`t know why but the C36 i think fit the most with me)

I think i can post the links of the cars i´ve found in here if i manage to do it!! (i´m new in the forum)

Cars in Uruguay are CRAZY expensive... I´m driving my brothers car right now (as i sold mines because of the moving away thing)... It is a CLK 320 1998 and we paid USD 27000 for her a year ago... (yes... twenty seven thousand american dollars) for this old and beated up car...

For the C36 search i´m aiming for 5.5 to 6K Euros and ive found a couple of options in that range...
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 AM

Those are the 2 C36 i´m looking... the first one at least in pictures looks really good in my opinion... A lot of Km on it but...

http://www.milanuncios.com/mercedes-...-218400289.htm

http://www.milanuncios.com/mercedes-...-220708040.htm

And here we have the only C43 for sale... and it is kind of far from where im gonna be situated...

http://www.milanuncios.com/mercedes-...-209843255.htm
Old 03-26-2017, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Welcome aboard and guess you have made a good choice with a w202 AMG.

Looking at the ads, the first one says manual, but it's an automatic if you look carefully at the photos.

Have you thought of looking elsewhere in the EU for a 36? Not in the UK as they would be RHD...
Old 03-26-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG
Welcome to the forum! I'm completely biased to the C43 due to it having the V8 growl. Once you hear it at open throttle, it is hard to imagine going back to a 6. My wife's '08 335 is nice but I would take the 43 over it any day! You're lucky to even have a choice between 3 cars. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Welcome aboard and guess you have made a good choice with a w202 AMG.

Looking at the ads, the first one says manual, but it's an automatic if you look carefully at the photos.

Have you thought of looking elsewhere in the EU for a 36? Not in the UK as they would be RHD...
Thanks for your input!!!

And yes, it is listed as Manual but i think a manual transmissions were not stock on C36 AMG cars, isnt it? Maybe it is a "click in the box" error... I see that car and it seems in good shape, isnt it??

What i can observe in the engine bay is that the engine don´t say AMG anywhere... Maybe the valve cover was changed or something??

I can look for cars in other countries yes, but i have no clue where to search for them!! Any input on that??

Do you think this particular car is listed in a good price for 6300 Euros?... that should be my top investment and that is another thing that prevent me to search outside Spain, as you need to pay for other expenses to get the car back to Barcelona, isn´t it?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

do you want to buy the car in Spain then drive the car or ship the car to Uruguay?
how are the import fees you have to pay for importing a car?
are import fees low or high for such old cars?
uruguay price tags buyers paying $50.000 dollars for such old cars that is STUPIDO!

price tags on these cars seen in your added links is from 6000 euro.
price is a bit high if cars are not well serviced and not in good condition

try to find a clean undamaged rust free car with 1x - max 2x owners car
with full stamped service book

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 03-26-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by nkctb7
Welcome to the forum! I'm completely biased to the C43 due to it having the V8 growl. Once you hear it at open throttle, it is hard to imagine going back to a 6. My wife's '08 335 is nice but I would take the 43 over it any day! You're lucky to even have a choice between 3 cars. Good luck!
Thanks very much!!! And yes... i know that a V8 can ve addictive! :P i once owned a 350 SLC that although she was destroyed, i loved her!! I couldn´t even drive it, but the sound... UFFF!!!

I just have something about the C36, cannot explain it but i guess being the first AMG or something touches my classic car thing!!

I´ve had pretty complicated cars to drive daily... The Alfa Romeo 75 was the least problematic!!! I also had an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1981 with the dual Dellorto carbs, several classic mustangs and a Fiat 1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe... Neither of them was actually a fast car, all of them gave me several headaches but that was my way to move from point A to point B in my life!! :P The Merc should be the most technologic car in my history :P
Old 03-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by kowalski
do you want to buy the car in Spain then drive the car or ship the car to Uruguay?
how are the import fees you have to pay for importing a car?
are import fees low or high for such old cars?
uruguay price tags buyers paying $50.000 dollars for such old cars that is STUPIDO!

price tags on these cars seen in your added links is from 6000 euro.
price is OK if cars are well serviced in good condition

try to find a clean undamaged rust free car with 1x - max 2x owners car
with full stamped service book
Kowalsky!!! (your name reminds me to that movie with the 70 Challenger RT... UFFF!!)

I´m moving to Spain, to live there... BIIIIIG step! but that gives me the chance to find this Merc to be my daily driver as i start from scratch!

Do you think for 6000 euros i can find a low millage car with few owners and that stuff?

Im gonna be driving it in Spain but i need to get the car as soon as possible when i move so i think i have to choose the best i can without waiting for the big opportunity... If i buy another car to drive then im not gonna have the money to get the AMG
Old 03-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Banned

this is a german car website
here is the link for 13x C36 AMG

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/au...&ms=17200%3B29

links for C43 AMG
however the ads for w202 C43 are mixed with the new series C43
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/au...0%3B30&fr=1997

pop the hood.
a genuine C36 has the black intake tube ontop of the engine it says 3.6 on the black tube when it's a real c36
Old 03-26-2017, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
IMO (in my opinion) it would be a pity to use a 36 as a daily driver.

I would prefer buying a cheap vehicle to get you around on a day to day basis and then start looking for a good exemple 36 or 43.

At the same time it would give you the opportunity to save some cash so as to be able to buy a good and sound example. Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 03-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by damianAMG
Kowalsky!!! (your name reminds me to that movie with the 70 Challenger RT... UFFF!!)

I´m moving to Spain, to live there... BIIIIIG step! but that gives me the chance to find this Merc to be my daily driver as i start from scratch!

Do you think for 6000 euros i can find a low millage car with few owners and that stuff?

Im gonna be driving it in Spain but i need to get the car as soon as possible when i move so i think i have to choose the best i can without waiting for the big opportunity... If i buy another car to drive then im not gonna have the money to get the AMG
yes, that correct Kowalski as in Vanishing Point from 1971
there is also a remake from 1997 with Viggo Mortensen

if you buy car in Spain maybe there are not many to go to see, maybe you have to widen your search to Germany?
I gave you the links in the other reply

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 03-26-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:45 PM

this is a german car website
here is the link for 13x C36 AMG

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/au...&ms=17200%3B29

links for C43 AMG
however the ads for w202 C43 are mixed with the new series C43
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/au...0%3B30&fr=1997

pop the hood.
a genuine C36 has the black intake tube ontop of the engine it says 3.6 on the black tube when it's a real c36
Amazing Kowalsky! Great links you gave me there!!!

I´m kind of lost looking for this car in Europe so any inputs on new ways to find more cars is awesome!!!...

I also understand what you say about the "3.6 intake tube" there at the top of the engine... What i meant in the 6300 Euro example is that the valve cover doesn´t have the AMG inscription on it and that is odd i think...

The 6300 euros example is quite good to my understanding... i´d love to know what are your thoughts on this specific one... I noticed it says a first edition car "without SP"... don´t know what SP should mean!!

As i´m not yet in Spain i´m not even calling the sellers... as i prefer to know the best i can the car i´m interested in and when i contact the seller, it is a deal or no deal call...

What do you think?!
Old 03-26-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
IMO (in my opinion) it would be a pity to use a 36 as a daily driver.

I would prefer buying a cheap vehicle to get you around on a day to day basis and then start looking for a good exemple 36 or 43.

At the same time it would give you the opportunity to save some cash so as to be able to buy a good and sound example. Just my 2 cents worth...
Great advice actually... i know that is what i´m gonna be doing, just in different order i think...

My daily driver experience is always something that takes good care of the car... As i work by my own (and i´m going after that in Spain too) i dont have to drive back and forth everyday, parking the car in the street and risking it a lot... That is what i´ve done with my Alfa 75 here in Uruguay actually... The car ends up being my roller portfolio, to visit customers here and there, etc...

You can always get a 500 euro car to go to the mall, but as i´m going over there to start my own business i need what i think can help me and my image first
Old 03-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

maybe the first year of c36 didn't have the engraved AMG logo ontop of the engine?
i'm not sure about this info, maybe owners for c36 knows better?

when you have moved to Spain and settled in, when you are ready then start hunting for the car you want.
don't do anything before as you might regret things if they don't go like you have planned for?!

read up on forums, make threads by asking questions and you will learn the easy way

early models c36 didn't have ESP like the c43, early ones has ASR anti slip or something
maybe 1997 c36 had ESP but i am NOT sure if this is correct?
check german links for c36 from 1997 if they had ESP or not?

image get your business started first then buy a car when you are making money.
first car should be cheap as you don't want to spend unnecessary money on stupid things when you start your business

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 03-26-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:23 PM

Exactly Kowalsky... that is more or less what I'm aiming for... I know I need a car and quite frankly, a 6K euro car is something I can afford now, thanks god...

about the ESP, or Sp like this seller says, what exactly is it? This are the things I have to know!!

Also good point you made about the luck of logo in the valve cover, maybe it is like that in early cars, let's see what other owners says

I'm gonna surf the German sites you've told me more in detail, and as for forums, this is pretty good for this type of cars isn't it? Where else should I be reading??
Old 03-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
The c36 is a sweet car, to be honest I think they look cooler than the 43. But you're really going back in time and reliability with the 36. They're good cars but many more issues that will keep you busy and potentially cost you money. It's like old world vs modern reliable Mercedes. The internal motors are fine on both, no issues besides the 36 having inherent valvetrain noise. 36 you could have issues like wiring harnesses, throttle motors, oil leaks from front head cover and head gasket, the whole key system, etc. The 36 is also a heavier car with its iron block. The 43 is on the modern platform that every Mercedes from 98-05 was on, engine, trans, electric system, and its as solid as an anvil and any trouble shooting will be much easier. Those are just my thoughts, 36 is a good car but you need to be a little more on top of things. I'd go for the latest one you can get.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Banned

www.mbclub.co.uk is another great forum
www.club202.com is OK but a half dead forum

ESP is anti slip, one wheel loosing traction ESP will choke the car to regain traction
Old 03-26-2017, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ESP = Electronic Stability Program
Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords

ESP is anti slip, one wheel loosing traction ESP will choke the car to regain traction
ESP is a little more than that, its stability. Meaning if the back end sliding out in the corners it will correct it. If the front end is plowing straight when you're trying to turn it will at least change the pitch of the car to get you pointed in the right direction. ASR is on the older cars like the 36. Acceleration slip regulation or something along those lines. It is purely just traction control like you described, that function is also obviously built-in to the ESP system also.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by benzslo
The c36 is a sweet car, to be honest I think they look cooler than the 43. But you're really going back in time and reliability with the 36. They're good cars but many more issues that will keep you busy and potentially cost you money. It's like old world vs modern reliable Mercedes. The internal motors are fine on both, no issues besides the 36 having inherent valvetrain noise. 36 you could have issues like wiring harnesses, throttle motors, oil leaks from front head cover and head gasket, the whole key system, etc. The 36 is also a heavier car with its iron block. The 43 is on the modern platform that every Mercedes from 98-05 was on, engine, trans, electric system, and its as solid as an anvil and any trouble shooting will be much easier. Those are just my thoughts, 36 is a good car but you need to be a little more on top of things. I'd go for the latest one you can get.
Great advice!!...

As i come from a third world country i think im used to deal with problems with old stuff, but i know what you mean with a car that needs more attention than other more modern car...

I know Mercedes has good mechanical realiable things, pretty much from the day one but yes, those "little" things as electrical things etc, can be a pain and very hard to track down when failing...

As i said before, my daily driver has been pretty much all the time the old alfa romeo 75... an incredible complicated mechanics for a place like Uruguay...

Anyways!!! everything you guys can tell me about the C36 and, or the C43 is more than welcome as i´m pretty much naked in this! je!

And of course, as i´m a car guy, i work in cars etc, i tend to do things myself everytime i can, so learning the bases of things is what can help me the most when i finally get the 20 plus year car!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Great!!! UNDESTOOD!!! and thanks for the links too!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by benzslo
ESP is a little more than that, its stability. Meaning if the back end sliding out in the corners it will correct it. If the front end is plowing straight when you're trying to turn it will at least change the pitch of the car to get you pointed in the right direction. ASR is on the older cars like the 36. Acceleration slip regulation or something along those lines. It is purely just traction control like you described, that function is also obviously built-in to the ESP system also.
Ok... so the early C36 doesnt have anything similar to traction control, am i right?

Less things to brake down i guess :P
Old 03-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by damianAMG
Ok... so the early C36 doesnt have anything similar to traction control, am i right?

Less things to brake down i guess :P
I believe the early ones some of the 93-96 cars maybe NOT all had ASR which is the predecessor to ESP
you can check the centre console where the ventilation is, the upper part has switches for heated seats, folding rear headrest, central locking, electric rear power blind and some early cars also had ASR

this car seem not to have ASR or it's safety gadget is integrated in the electronics?

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...9&pageNumber=1

this car has ASR
click on pictures

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...9&pageNumber=1

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 03-26-2017 at 04:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Presenting myself and asking for help!!