GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Any idiot-proof features?

Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300, 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLC300
Any idiot-proof features?

Does anyone have any information on idiot-proof features (if there are any)?

For example, I find it easy for someone who's distracted to press the park button instead of the winshield wiper. What happens if you do that at highway speed?

Another one is switching to neutral while driving. The manual states that you may damage the transmission by doing that. Again, I find it easy for someone coming from a car that has the winshield wiper lever on the right side of the steering wheel to shift into neutral by mistake while trying to activate the wipers.

I'm sure there are lots more that people have on their minds/have experienced.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Even if you do hit the park button accidentally while on the move nothing will happen. The little triangular arrows in the display show which options are available for selection at any given time and once you are on the move the park option is not available. With the engine running and the selector in park watch the options change as you depress the brake pedal and release it again.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by decorily
Even if you do hit the park button accidentally while on the move nothing will happen. The little triangular arrows in the display show which options are available for selection at any given time and once you are on the move the park option is not available. With the engine running and the selector in park watch the options change as you depress the brake pedal and release it again.
Good to know. However, you can definately shift into neutral while on the move (at high speeds) even though the owner's manual recommends against it stating that you could damage the transmission and I think the arrow on the display does not show this being available either. I'm wondering if you can shift into reverse after neutral...
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by blizzard12
Good to know. However, you can definately shift into neutral while on the move (at high speeds) even though the owner's manual recommends against it stating that you could damage the transmission and I think the arrow on the display does not show this being available either. I'm wondering if you can shift into reverse after neutral...
Yes you can shift to neutral.....I've done it! Haven't actually taken note if reverse comes up as an option in this scenario. I actually coasted to a stop before returning to drive just in case! !
Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 PM

Just checked this now and actually the arrow to shift into neutral is there while driving. Not sure why since the manual recommends against it.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Just checked this now and actually the arrow to shift into neutral is there while driving. Not sure why since the manual recommends against it.
Yes it is. However if you shift to neutral the arrow for the option for drive comes up but not for reverse. Reverse only comes on at a very slow speed...almost stopped.