Fuel smell from engine bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
Fuel smell from engine bay

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure that fuel smell is coming from the hose area as marked in the attached photo.
Started after taking the car to MB dealership to inspect rough idle issue recently.

As you can see in the photo, they must have wrapped the hose with some tape as I can feel
that the hose is broken under the tape at that spot. If I approach them, their work against
mine, so no win there.

Would anybody please know the part number of that hose please?
2010 W212 E250 CGI
Engine:M271

Thanks

Milo
Attached Thumbnails Fuel smell from engine bay-w212-e250-m271.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Looks like intake MB does not offer hose separately, incorporated into part see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel smell from engine bay-capture.jpg  

Last edited by konigstiger; 04-30-2017 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (01-03-2021)
Old 04-30-2017, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Since that is the suction/intake side, would you get any smell from there? I would think if it was leaking it would be pulling air in not forcing it out. But then again, I don't know what I talking about.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 AM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Looks like intake MB does not offer hose separately, incorporated into part see attachment.

Thanks, Konigstiger!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
Originally Posted by thefisch
Since that is the suction/intake side, would you get any smell from there? I would think if it was leaking it would be pulling air in not forcing it out. But then again, I don't know what I talking about.

Hi Thefisch,

The smell is coming from either that hose or the part that sits above it (cylindrical metal part).
Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 AM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
You know what guys?

I had a more precise sniff around and can confidently say that the smell is
coming from the wrap (black tape). It smells very much like petrol!!!
Either way, the tape is the culprit!

I know for sure that MB service broke it and wrapped it without telling me
about it, but I have no proof now. All I know is that the smell started from
the day I took it to them for service. Initially I thought that they might have
spilt something in the engine bay so the liquid might be evaporating, but not
quite.

Taking it to another MB service on Monday as the car is under warranty.

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks

Milo
Old 05-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
All OK. Replaced under warranty.

The silicone tape did the job well, but it stinks when exposed to heat.
raja777m (05-21-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
Saga continues

Guys, I'm losing my sanity with this car. The smell of petrol is still there. This time, after they replaced the broken hose which was taped up with silicone tape, the smell of petrol
was still present. Took it to the dealership again. This time they found that the smell was coming from the engine oil which was contaminated by petrol which seeped into the oil
while the thermostat was faulty few months ago. They replaced the oil and oil filter. Got home, had a sniff around the engine bay and the smell was gone!
A day or two later noticed the smell of petrol again. The smell is coming from the same area (as marked with red circle in the photo). I have clamped the little breather hose to
ensure that the smell is not coming from either end of the hose (as marked in green colour). It still is.

I told the guys at the dealership that I would park the car in the middle of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and torch it if the issue continues. As if they care...

The car is under warranty, so I have a feeling that they are not that keen to spend money on fixing it.

I'm starting to think that I'm imagining things or even that the smell is normal, but I think it's not. When I smell the area (circled in red), I can smell petrol.

Could I please ask a few of you E250 CGI owners to have a sniff in the area (circled in red) on your engine while it is warm and tell me whether it smells of petrol?

Please. This is driving me crazy.

Thanks

Milo

Last edited by Milor; 08-22-2017 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Sorry for your issue but if that's the throttle body some fuel smell may be normal of you are saying you are smelling it in that area.
I would also urge you to not use screw clamps on hose as they will cut into the hose. Recommend what is commonly refererred to as fuel injection style clamps that have an internal band to protect the hose when the band is tightened.
Milor (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 AM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
I think I know what it is

Hi guys. Sorry to bother you again with my story, but I think I have found out where the smell is coming from. I have been trying to sniff around the area when the car is hot and cold, tried to isolate different areas with pieces of paper in order to pinpoint the exact place where the smell is coming from. It all points to the rubber hose as marked in the picture below. Therefore, the monkeys at MB service have mis-diagnosed the issue and stated that the smell was due to oil contamination. That smelly part was replaced a few months ago, so I'm not sure whether and when will the smell go away.
So, just in case it's happening to you, pay attention to the hose!

Thanks!

Milo

Old 08-27-2017, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 835 Likes on 604 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Milor
Hi guys. Sorry to bother you again with my story, but I think I have found out where the smell is coming from. I have been trying to sniff around the area when the car is hot and cold, tried to isolate different areas with pieces of paper in order to pinpoint the exact place where the smell is coming from. It all points to the rubber hose as marked in the picture below. Therefore, the monkeys at MB service have mis-diagnosed the issue and stated that the smell was due to oil contamination. That smelly part was replaced a few months ago, so I'm not sure whether and when will the smell go away.

Thanks!

Milo

Well,
Gasoline smell under the hood should not happen and if it does it is very alarming. The fuel is pumped in the engine and dosed by the injectors either in the intake air flow or directly insid the combustion cylinder. There should not be any way for the gasolne to leak out to be smelled. Even if the engine runs rich the fumes should come out from the tail pipe like it is during cold weather start. With hot engine some exhaust gases are recirculated back to the intake side but again this is under vacuum and no gasoline smell under the hood should be present.

I would be very cardfully checking the fuel rail and connections to injectors for leaks as it should be about the only way gasoline can get under the hood outside the engine.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c180
My c180 has the Petrol smell issue as well. Smell is only happen when it is very cold and just happen in about 5 mins. And the car was not driving overnight. After that 5 mins. Back to Normal. I keep coming in to the dealer garage so many times for 2 months. Problem still not slove yet. I will collect the car again on Tuesday. Hope it will be fixed. The car Is only 9 months old. Brand new from the dealer. I feel i bought a used car mire than a brand new( Quality ) car !!
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI

Thanks!

Milo

Hi all,
It has been more than a year since they replaced the hose (and associated / attached piping), but the smell is still coming from the hose marked in red in the attached photo.
The actual material (rubber the hose is made from) smells when the engine is warmed up. The hose heats up and then it smells. It even smells while cold, but a lot less.
Took the car back to Mercedes to complain about the smell, but now they tell me that the hose in question smells like that on all 1.8 Turbo W212's. That is impossible, as I know
that it didn't smell when I first bought the car.

Could one or more of you please check whether that hose smells once heated up on your 1.8 Turbo, please?

Many thanks!

Milo

Old 07-24-2018, 12:27 PM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
Anybody, please?
Old 07-28-2018, 08:35 AM

Mercedes Benz E250 CGI
Hi all,
It has been more than a year since they replaced the hose (and associated / attached piping), but the smell is still coming from the hose marked in red in the attached photo.
The actual material (rubber the hose is made from) smells when the engine is warmed up. The hose heats up and then it smells. It even smells while cold, but a lot less.
Took the car back to Mercedes to complain about the smell, but now they tell me that the hose in question smells like that on all 1.8 Turbo W212's. That is impossible, as I know

Could one or more of you please check whether that hose smells once heated up on your 1.8 Turbo, please?

Many thanks!

Milo

Thanks

Milo
Old 03-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 c250
Hey, I found this thread because of the picture. Im loosing coolant and I notice that the hose you circled in red and other parts right next to it seemed to be leaking something from the "wet" look. What part is that? Im not getting and gas smell from that area, Im just losing coolant and that area looks to be the culprit but I dont know what part that is. I'm guessing its the intake hose?
Old 10-29-2019, 02:30 PM

c class estate 2010
Did any one find the fault with this?I have petrol in my oil after just 80 miles,and can smell petrol in the morning before i start the car.Also had to top coolant up twice in a month only a very small amount though.Is the problem the theromstat?or the hose.,What does this hose do? mines a c180 cgi cheers mark
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
For anyone trying to locate this fuel smell on this engine, I recently had to replace the camshaft adjuster for a rattle on cold start and this is the cause for fuel contamination in the engine oil. I guess incorrect valve timing/combustion is the cause.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:26 PM

W204 2013 C250 CGI
Originally Posted by bicylindrico
For anyone trying to locate this fuel smell on this engine, I recently had to replace the camshaft adjuster for a rattle on cold start and this is the cause for fuel contamination in the engine oil. I guess incorrect valve timing/combustion is the cause.
You are correct. For anyone starting to have the camshaft issue the car will run rough on cold start, it may not rattle yet though. This will cause the ecu to dump more fuel into the cumbustion chambers causing fuel dilution. The little rubber hose breaks I think because the gas eats away at it.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:35 AM

C180 CGI
C180 CGI

[QUOTE=Milor;7506981]Hi all,

I have the same problem whit my C180 CGI hand switched 2010 m271 Evo 115Kw (157) horsepower. i have fuel leaking from that rubber. On the highway he give me a fuel consumption about 9.2L/100 KM its to high 59 liters benzintank i can do 490 KM whit 1 tank