Sponsored by:

E63 reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
E63 reliability

I've been cross shopping a few cars - something bigger ( currently I scoot around in a 2008 Mazda Miata - it's a blast, but isn't comfortable for the long term ).

I've been looking at cars such as the ATS-V, CTS-V ( particularly the wagons ), C6/C7 Corvettes, Chevy SS, S550 Mustang GT PP, Jaguar XF R-S, F80 M3 and F10 M5 - cars that are fun overall in driving, but still comfortable.

So, that brings me to the E63 - particularly since in cross shopping the CTS-V wagon, prices for an E63 AMG wagon are about the same.

Am I looking at dropping $$$ over the years in basic maintenance items bc bi-turbo v8? Just would like to know what I might be getting myself in for.

A lot in my car circle are pressuring me towards the Chevy's just from a reliability standpoint

Last edited by stormhammer; 05-21-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I've got a 2012 amg Wagon and it's rock solid and no issues other than bent wheels (my fault) in over 50K miles. I'd go for a Amg wagon, you will never regret it. I've had two CTS-V's before this and they were both crap boxes, hated those cars. Major problems with rear ends and rattles and squeaks and numberous other things, bad build quality crappy materials, benz is first class. Great materials, drives like a dream. I did some spirited driving today on curvy roads all the way back 70 miles from a tennis match and it put a smile on my face, was in Sport plus mode.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63S Wagon, 2005 E500
I was looking at ctsv wagon and E63 wagon. I bought the E63 because I knew the caddy would be junk in a matter of years. American cars don't age well.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 PM

2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I've got a 2012 amg Wagon and it's rock solid and no issues other than bent wheels (my fault) in over 50K miles. I'd go for a Amg wagon, you will never regret it. I've had two CTS-V's before this and they were both crap boxes, hated those cars. Major problems with rear ends and rattles and squeaks and numberous other things, bad build quality crappy materials, benz is first class. Great materials, drives like a dream. I did some spirited driving today on curvy roads all the way back 70 miles from a tennis match and it put a smile on my face, was in Sport plus mode.
I find myself doing a lot of spirited driving - not as much as before ( I put over 100k on my Miata in under 4 years, a lot of those on the Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, and Six Gaps doing mountain runs ). No one really has videos of them driving spirited like - in fact, the only one I can find was the Motortrend where they tossed a wagon as a contender.

Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon
I was looking at ctsv wagon and E63 wagon. I bought the E63 because I knew the caddy would be junk in a matter of years. American cars don't age well.
Junk in what mannerism? I mean, the 6spd CTS-V wagon has held its value better than any E63 AMG so far.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The E63S wagon weighs 4705 (my car on the scales at the track). The sedan is approximately 200 lbs less - they are high performance luxury cars. While fun, chucking them around at 10/10ths on public roads is beyond the scope of why this car is in my garage. My 3400 lb CLK55 is better suited for mountain runs Your Miata would be even better at TOD/the twisties
Old 05-22-2017, 12:08 PM

2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Originally Posted by Chappy
The E63S wagon weighs 4705 (my car on the scales at the track). The sedan is approximately 200 lbs less - they are high performance luxury cars. While fun, chucking them around at 10/10ths on public roads is beyond the scope of why this car is in my garage. My 3400 lb CLK55 is better suited for mountain runs Your Miata would be even better at TOD/the twisties
Oh, I've had my *** bitten going 10/10ths on a track on TOD you'd be insane to go more than 40 - 50 thru those corners.

Right now it'd be 99% daily driving, with the odd auto-x, track day or mountain jaunt.

This is coming from a guy who did HPDE's in a 2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
'12 E63
Buy a Chevy for the reliability? This is a joke, right?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by stormhammer
Oh, I've had my *** bitten going 10/10ths on a track on TOD you'd be insane to go more than 40 - 50 thru those corners.

Right now it'd be 99% daily driving, with the odd auto-x, track day or mountain jaunt.

This is coming from a guy who did HPDE's in a 2005 Crown Victoria LX Sport
Getting back to your original post about maintenance, etc.

Anything on the car that is AMG-specific can be costly to replace. Rotors, pads and other wear items will be expensive compared to most other makes. Also, expect to go through many sets of W or Y rated rubber in 19 or 20 inch sizes.

Many people will not own an AMG out of warranty. My CLK55 has been the most reliable car I have ever owned (followed by a previous 300CE coupe). These cars beg to be driven but also NEED scheduled services to be performed on time. Properly serviced and maintained, these cars can easily handle 100k + miles without crippling repair.

That crippling repair amount may be different for each one of us. Best of luck in your hunt for a fun ride!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 PM

2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Originally Posted by Chappy
Getting back to your original post about maintenance, etc.

Anything on the car that is AMG-specific can be costly to replace. Rotors, pads and other wear items will be expensive compared to most other makes. Also, expect to go through many sets of W or Y rated rubber in 19 or 20 inch sizes.

Many people will not own an AMG out of warranty. My CLK55 has been the most reliable car I have ever owned (followed by a previous 300CE coupe). These cars beg to be driven but also NEED scheduled services to be performed on time. Properly serviced and maintained, these cars can easily handle 100k + miles without crippling repair.

That crippling repair amount may be different for each one of us. Best of luck in your hunt for a fun ride!
Good to know! I'm pretty diligent on maintenance. GF gets a kick out of how diligent I am about it - however, 160k on the Miata, 5k interval oil changes, and the oil comes out clean without a lot of loss either.

Wait, you're in Atlanta? I'm up in Alpharetta... and I spy a wagon in your signature...

Last edited by stormhammer; 05-22-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:22 PM

2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Originally Posted by ERC4
Buy a Chevy for the reliability? This is a joke, right?

Most american muscle type cars from 2012+ are pretty reliable. From the ATS-V to CTS-V, Mustang/Camaro to Corvette. It's a bit ignorant to think otherwise.

Now, when it comes to say, a C7 Z06 on a track and the cooling issues it runs into, that's a different story. That's also on a race track.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most american muscle type cars from 2012+ are pretty reliable. From the ATS-V to CTS-V, Mustang/Camaro to Corvette. It's a bit ignorant to think otherwise.

Now, when it comes to say, a C7 Z06 on a track and the cooling issues it runs into, that's a different story. That's also on a race track.
Not my experience. I had a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan and thought I had a lemon and then got a 2013 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon and again all kinds of issues. Rear ends on both cars made loud whining noises and the rear end on the 2013 was replaced twice and each time the noise came back and that was all within 10000 miles. Traded that car in for the 2012 E63 AMG Wagon and have had no issues with this car like I said other than bent rims, but that is the roads fault and not the cars fault, or my fault for not dodging the pot holes well enough.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
'12 E63

Ignorant is a strong word but there's no offense taken as I understand that people get bold when speaking anonymously on the internet. I haven't read a single article in the major car magazines about the Corvette when the authors didn't comment on how many breakdowns the car suffered on their watch. In addition, Consumer Reports has recent reliability on the Corvette as the Worst Possible or Below Average, the ATS as even worse than that, and the CTS and Camaro aren't gems either. Maybe your extensive studies use a larger N than Consumer Reports. Good luck with your Chevy.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:20 PM

2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Originally Posted by ERC4
Ignorant is a strong word but there's no offense taken as I understand that people get bold when speaking anonymously on the internet. I haven't read a single article in the major car magazines about the Corvette when the authors didn't comment on how many breakdowns the car suffered on their watch. In addition, Consumer Reports has recent reliability on the Corvette as the Worst Possible or Below Average, the ATS as even worse than that, and the CTS and Camaro aren't gems either. Maybe your extensive studies use a larger N than Consumer Reports. Good luck with your Chevy.
You're right, it was a bit of a strong word, and my apologies.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
I suspect more crazy electrical things will plague you in the Mercedes than in the Caddy because it's simply not as complex. My air bag filled seats that massage you and hug you around turns has got to be more complicated than "leather bolsters".

I almost got a CTS-V wagon also and one of the big things holding me back was the RWD. I live in a wet climate and those things can break traction in the dry in the right circumstances...knowing I was going to mod it slightly cast even more doubt.

when I was shopping, those wagons were going for like 50k vs almost 80k for the E63, so if I didn't land a good deal I wouldn't be driving the AMG today I bet.

A counter point on the reliability thing though - let's pretend that the AMG is 50% more reliable (I doubt that btw...if it was then you'd be able to buy an aftermarket warranty more easily), fixing that Cadillac is CRAZY cheap. Parts are everywhere. so you could break twice as often and pay less money.

Final point, depreciation. If you get a manual CTS-V wagon, your resale will likely hold up far far better than the E63 wagons. These things depreciate like bricks and they'll never make another Cadillac wagon again (supposedly...and certainly not with a stick)...so you have that going for you. Make sure to calculate that into your costs because even if you budget similar money for maintenance on these cars, the depreciation is likely to hurt more than anything else.

Not talking you out of buying an AMG but just know what you're getting into. If your driving factor is reliability than I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Over all these years since the car came out in 2012 I don't see any major reliability issues with the AMG. I think it's pretty solid reliability from what it looks like.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, obviously MB did extensive testing on the 212's components because they produced a winner with this car. Whoever designed the rear ends in the Caddy's should be shot, they are real trouble prone. The only think I liked in the caddy over the MB was the magnetic ride shocks, wish the Benz had those. Thats one thing I know I will have problems with on the Benz sooner or later, a line leak in the rear airmatic or bad compressor pump or bad air bag. Other than that setup though, great car.
The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (05-24-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 PM

2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I appreciate the input folks!

To be clear - I'm not expecting something like a Honda of the 90s reliable. More of a - well, not something like the 2007 BMW 335i - where you get carbon build up, waste gate rattles, HPFP failures

Side note - a lot of you in this thread own wagons <3

Beyond overall styling/audio, and RWD vs. FWD - what are some of the largest differences between the 2012 and 2014s? Or, would those really be it.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
The only think I liked in the caddy over the MB was the magnetic ride shocks, wish the Benz had those. Thats one thing I know I will have problems with on the Benz sooner or later, a line leak in the rear airmatic or bad compressor pump or bad air bag. Other than that setup though, great car.
You're right on the dot! I have read you can change the rear to steel spring by ?Arnott?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63P, 2013 GL550

Sounds to me like you really want the Chevy?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
I appreciate the input folks!

To be clear - I'm not expecting something like a Honda of the 90s reliable. More of a - well, not something like the 2007 BMW 335i - where you get carbon build up, waste gate rattles, HPFP failures

Side note - a lot of you in this thread own wagons <3

Beyond overall styling/audio, and RWD vs. FWD - what are some of the largest differences between the 2012 and 2014s? Or, would those really be it.
Man, I have a 335i right now that I'm fixing up to get sold and I have to tell you...that was hands down the least reliable car I have ever owned in my life. Dear lord...it's awful! I doubt the E63 will turn into that.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Originally Posted by ajs76
Man, I have a 335i right now that I'm fixing up to get sold and I have to tell you...that was hands down the least reliable car I have ever owned in my life. Dear lord...it's awful! I doubt the E63 will turn into that.
I had a 2008 535 xi - I sold it while in extended warranty because the car would live at the dealership! It was awful!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by ajs76
Sounds familiar- regret buying BMWs over many years.. the E60 M5 recalls finally got me to switch the brand - happy with E63 and no issues so far, after 26k miles...