C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Plastic clicking noise everywhere now that it's warm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Plastic clicking noise everywhere now that it's warm

I'm living in Texas and the temperatures have been getting up to 90 degrees or so. I've noticed that anytime I'm driving if there's any minor bumps on the road, the driver's side of the dash seems to make clicking noises (mainly from above the instrument cluster) and the passenger side's black panel right under the window starts clicking. It get's louder if I turn on the AC, and I suppose it's because the plastic is shrinking back in the colder AC weather.

Has anyone else noticed this? I can hear loud clicks if I push down on the part of the dash above the instrument cluster, and it's making me a little sad that a car at this price is so prone to clicking noises and rattles. I'm debating taking it to the dealership since all the black panels under the windows have started to make that clicking noise when I push slightly on them or when driving over small bumps, but on the other hand I'm debating on waiting until winter time to see if it gets resolved when the temperature goes down again.

I'm curious if anyone here has noticed this and whether you think it is normal or if it's time to stop by the dealership
Old 05-24-2017, 02:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
About two days ago I noticed rattle coming from the comand screen area.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
W205 C250
I think this is quite common, here in Australia we get extremes of temperature and certainly my car does it whenever there is a temperature change or the sun shines through a window onto the upper door capping. As for general rattles and squeakes, the W205 at least in early builds has plenty. There are other posts on this issue, some dealers are able to fix them, mine has tried for 2 years now with little success.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Only areas I get noise is the dash binnacle, in the AMG sport line trim there's so much plastic you can't escape it. However, a suitably wedged bit of felt between the binnacle and surrounding dash has resolved 99% of that and the same between the plastic on the comand screen and the dash above it. Clicking pano once in a while when grit gets into the seals, a wipe down and that sorts that too. The S205 in particular seems quite a twisty chassis which doesn't help. All that aluminium.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Mercedes C300 Sport
Welcome to the club! All noise is gone when you dump the flat runs for normal tires. They don't look good on the car but at least make it sound good.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago
Welcome to the club! All noise is gone when you dump the flat runs for normal tires. They don't look good on the car but at least make it sound good.
I never had run-flats on mine and yet I have a terrible "crunch" from the entire cabin whenever I hit road reflectors. It's AWFUL. Makes my AMG sound cheap.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by auditoamg
I never had run-flats on mine and yet I have a terrible "crunch" from the entire cabin whenever I hit road reflectors. It's AWFUL. Makes my AMG sound cheap.
Yup. These road reflectors make my car feel like a match box with a bunch of matches moving around. Will be taking it to the dealership this Friday although I'm pretty sure they won't do much other than add felt etc...
Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Check all your seals and rubbers as well. I found that my doors were making little popping/squeaking noises over uneven roads. They replaced the door seals with a new variant that has felt backing (which fixed the pops I was getting from around doors), but the pano roof seal is just as bad. They lubricated the seal last time I complained about it but it only lasts a few weeks and then you're back to creaking.

Best thing to do is to keep complaining to your dealer. If you find a fix (even if temporary) get them to show you what exactly they do in terms of applying lubricant and then at least you can replicate the work without having to go back each time.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Check all your seals and rubbers as well. I found that my doors were making little popping/squeaking noises over uneven roads. They replaced the door seals with a new variant that has felt backing (which fixed the pops I was getting from around doors), but the pano roof seal is just as bad. They lubricated the seal last time I complained about it but it only lasts a few weeks and then you're back to creaking.

Best thing to do is to keep complaining to your dealer. If you find a fix (even if temporary) get them to show you what exactly they do in terms of applying lubricant and then at least you can replicate the work without having to go back each time.
Can you post pics of your new seals?