Sponsored by:

try to talk me out of leasing this C43 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 MB C43 coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
try to talk me out of leasing this C43 coupe

Hi all - been lurking and a few posts here and there as I shop for my next car. I'm returning my 435 gran coupe M sport lease in about 3 weeks. I drive 15k miles a year, mostly with a 30 mile round trip M-F work commute. The fixed M sport suspension on the 435 is on the harsh side for a daily and wearing thin with me. Loved the N55 motor and the ZF auto is great. Great car, but time for something new.

Mental max budget is 60k. None of the current BMWs under $65k speak to me. Same with Lexus. Audi S4 and S5 are a possibility, but I haven't driven one yet. I drove the 4cyl Alfa Giulia fully loaded @ $54k and can work them all the way down to $47k. At that price, it's a good option. I have this strange desire to consider the new MX-5 miata Club. You can steal a new 2016 Club with BBS wheels & brembos for like $25 grand. Drove it and it's fun as hell. very small obviously.

The reason I'm cross shopping some strange options is because my wife has a practical car for those sorts of things. I'm mostly driving solo, but not always.

Found a silver C43 amg coupe for $59k sticker. Performance exhaust, 19" wheels, & night package... that's it. Drove it today and really liked it. The silver strikes a good mix of classy yet athletic & sporty. I really like the MB Tex Dinamica with red stitching, and the seats are mad comfortable. Summer hi performance tires. Panoramic roof is cool. Performance exhaust sounds extremely good. I test drove with everything at Sport + and it was still much more comfortable than my BMW. The transmission seemed fine, although not as crisp as my ZF and the forum complaints have me worried. The thought of getting back into an AWD car for rain & snow in the midwest is exciting. I really like the minimal "drivers car" options on this one.

The MB dealer is very cool and cut me a nice deal on a 3 year 15k mile per lease that's on the table for next week until calendar month end. $2500 down, $690 a month after tax. I will probably try to negotiate for pre-paid maintenance, but the numbers seem pretty solid. The dealer is telling me they'll break even on this type of deal.

So...... try to talk me out of this. Why won't I like this car? What else should I drive & consider? Need to figure something out this week. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Ok, so the C43 is a really good car (I bought one).

But if you're going for daily driving comfort you're looking in the wrong direction. The RFTs are garbage for comfort and the suspension is quite firm. I'm surprised that you think it was much different from the M Sport BMW. You're also probably going to go through a set of tires and set of brake pads every year with as much as you drive.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
You will like the car - plain and simple
Old 06-25-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Ok, so the C43 is a really good car (I bought one).

But if you're going for daily driving comfort you're looking in the wrong direction. The RFTs are garbage for comfort and the suspension is quite firm. I'm surprised that you think it was much different from the M Sport BMW. You're also probably going to go through a set of tires and set of brake pads every year with as much as you drive.
good call on the tires. been doing the same on my 435 these past 3 years. ditched the RFTs quick on it, but the ride is still more harsh than the C43 plain & simple.

I think I'm just now approaching a new set of brake pads on the BMW @ 44k miles. you really think I'll need new pads every 15k on the benz? all the more reason for me to negotiate for the maintenance package...
Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Originally Posted by ryanSTL
good call on the tires. been doing the same on my 435 these past 3 years. ditched the RFTs quick on it, but the ride is still more harsh than the C43 plain & simple.

I think I'm just now approaching a new set of brake pads on the BMW @ 44k miles. you really think I'll need new pads every 15k on the benz? all the more reason for me to negotiate for the maintenance package...
maintenance does not include brakes, not sure if that was what you are saying or you just want to offset the cost of the brake replacement with the maintenance program.

I am at 18k miles and have not had any indication of needing to replace brakes, will give an update at the 20k mark.
The following users liked this post:
Star4life (06-15-2018)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by alexasa
maintenance does not include brakes...
Correct.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by alexasa
maintenance does not include brakes, not sure if that was what you are saying or you just want to offset the cost of the brake replacement with the maintenance program.

I am at 18k miles and have not had any indication of needing to replace brakes, will give an update at the 20k mark.
good to know, thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG

good to know, thanks.
Good to know is right! My C450 is just a 1 year old daily driver with only 7,000 miles on it, so if I can get about 20,000 miles out of the brakes before I trade it in, I'll be a happy camper!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
2014 E550, 2015 E63S, 2017 G63 - RIP
The only reason not to get C43 is because you getting C63S
Old 06-26-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
This ^^^^^
Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
If you're considering the MX5, I have to throw in the suggestion of going to test drive the Toyota 86. Spent nearly 40k miles in one and always loved driving it. It's not without its faults - it's the fastest looking slow car you'll ever drive in the straights, but much like the MX5, the straights are not why you buy one. Awesome seats and transmission, supremely tail happy (in a fun way) on all-season tires, straight up go-kart handling with HP rubber. Swap in an unequal length header for some boxer engine rumble and she'll be just as exciting as the PE on the C43. Just my .02
Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
If you're considering the MX5, I have to throw in the suggestion of going to test drive the Toyota 86. Spent nearly 40k miles in one and always loved driving it. It's not without its faults - it's the fastest looking slow car you'll ever drive in the straights, but much like the MX5, the straights are not why you buy one. Awesome seats and transmission, supremely tail happy (in a fun way) on all-season tires, straight up go-kart handling with HP rubber. Swap in an unequal length header for some boxer engine rumble and she'll be just as exciting as the PE on the C43. Just my .02
next car will likely be an 86 with a supercharger kit.

simple and tasteful mods make it very appealing, just a bit down on power.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
A slightly used 235i can be found at the same price point as a new 86. It's a far superior machine in all aspects.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by Mr. J
A slightly used 235i can be found at the same price point as a new 86. It's a far superior machine in all aspects.
Yup. The 86 is still slooooow even with thousands in mods. Great car if your commute is down a canyon road. Otherwise just frustrating.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on the 86 and 235. definitely drivers' cars and good options. The only reason the MX-5 is an option is because of the roadster aspect, the discounts are crazy, i do think they're an excellent drive, and warranty being new.
86 not a roadster, so less appealing. My wife would enjoy swapping daily drivers now and then for a roadster. I'd enjoy it too.
As for the 235, I almost got one before deciding on my current 435. If I went used 235, I'd need to find a good one still under warranty. There is a new 240 black on black, with performance package and carbon fiber at a local dealer for $54k. At that price point, I think I'd rather have the C43.

excellent advice, thanks.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Well you guys did a poor job. Leased the car yesterday morning. Been driving it all day yesterday and today. What a blast, loving it so far. Negotiated down to under $53k. sooo pleased with the choice.

stripping mods off my 435 to be returned in two weeks. Happy to be in my first MB!! ordered the door lock pins from JB speed and scheduling a tint job later this week. Thanks for all the input on a few of my posts & questions.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:22 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Well you guys did a poor job. Leased the car yesterday morning. Been driving it all day yesterday and today. What a blast, loving it so far. Negotiated down to under $53k. sooo pleased.
Pics or it never happened...
Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS-V
any updates on this? im currently considering this car as well. i drive an ats-v now and its amazing but its getting bought back now and im considering other options rather than another ats-v m6 coupe. i keep getting turned off by the c43 for not being a true amg with the handbuilt engine and all else that that implies. someone push me over the edge.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by donavo
any updates on this? im currently considering this car as well. i drive an ats-v now and its amazing but its getting bought back now and im considering other options rather than another ats-v m6 coupe. i keep getting turned off by the c43 for not being a true amg with the handbuilt engine and all else that that implies. someone push me over the edge.
I own a 2018 C43 and have spend considerable time behind the wheel of the ATS-V and used to own a CTS-V. The ATS-V is a better handling and more nimble car, no doubt. The C43 cannot keep up with one, not stock anyway, but the C43 is a MUCH nicer car. Better stereo, better electronics, interior, creature comforts, all favor the Benz.

I'm a huge V fan and always will be. You need to spend some extensive time behind the wheel of one. Find a cool salesman and go on a long test drive ina C43 with the performance exhaust. Keep in mind that a JB1 tune for $400 will get you up to speed with the ATS-V as well. And don't worry about the hand built part. Just because the engine is hand built does not make it inherently better. It makes it more expensive to maintain and insure though. If you can swing the payment, get a base trim C63 before the new model comes out.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by donavo
In my experience, most people that say it's not a true AMG aren't even driving AMGs. It's a fantastic car for what it is - an extremely competent daily driver with the ability to be a full blast weekend warrior. Either way, if I was interested in buying any 63 model in the future, it wouldn't be because the engine has someone's nameplate on it. What othrr cars are you considering? The new 3 / 4 series is due for a refresh in the next year. Might be worth waiting for...
Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 c43 AMG
Tires

Why the 19” tires ? My experience is that 18” rides much better.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:19 PM

ATS-V
is there a reason y i shouldnt wait for the next model to come out? and when is that anyway? i was thinking the next one would be a better one? with more power? edit: this was regarding the c43

also, the other options in thinking of are the quadrifoglio and the q60 redsport. of course none of these are in the same league so price is a factor too. if i can get a alfa at a good rate i would lease that one for sure. but the c43 is a good deal and i wanna keep that one in mind. i agree with the interior being better than my ats-v. and waiting isnt really an option since the car is getting repurchased within 3 weeks pretty much. would the new c43 be available by then?

Last edited by donavo; 06-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:33 PM

2018 C43 sedan
The Alfa Quadrifolio is EPIC. That car is a riot to drive. My buddy owns an Alfa/Fiat dealer so I had the chance to put some miles on one. Easily my top choice in the small sports sedan category. Problem with that car is the lease rates are outrageous. My buddy could not get me under $1,000 per month at employee pricing with the lowest money factor possible. Also, reliabity and resale on the Alfa are some of the worst in the business, so I passed on financing one.

Q60 redsport looks too pedestrian for me. It's probably a good car, but Infiniti lost their direction in my opinion and their "drive by wire" steering sucks.

Have you considered the Audi RS3? 0-60 in 3.7 and a turbo 5 cylinder is a unique combination. They start around 65k I believe. Otherwise, get a 2018 C43 if you are in a time crunch, I don't think the new one will be on dealer lots next month, but you can get a significant discount on the 2018 model.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:29 PM

ATS-V
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
The Alfa Quadrifolio is EPIC. That car is a riot to drive. My buddy owns an Alfa/Fiat dealer so I had the chance to put some miles on one. Easily my top choice in the small sports sedan category. Problem with that car is the lease rates are outrageous. My buddy could not get me under $1,000 per month at employee pricing with the lowest money factor possible. Also, reliabity and resale on the Alfa are some of the worst in the business, so I passed on financing one.

Q60 redsport looks too pedestrian for me. It's probably a good car, but Infiniti lost their direction in my opinion and their "drive by wire" steering sucks.

Have you considered the Audi RS3? 0-60 in 3.7 and a turbo 5 cylinder is a unique combination. They start around 65k I believe. Otherwise, get a 2018 C43 if you are in a time crunch, I don't think the new one will be on dealer lots next month, but you can get a significant discount on the 2018 model.

interesting u mention that price on the alfa cuz right now theyre all at 899 per month....

the rs3 is fast but man is the look conservative...coming from the ats-v angry front end i dont think ill be happy with the audi. c43 coupe looks good but i am worried about missing out on a much better car if the 19s hit the lots in a month or so. i think im going to try the alfa as plan A and if that ends up too pricey, ill try to do c43 or something. if anyone has any suggestons, feel free.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 PM

2018 C43 sedan
The Alfa will cost as much as a C63 to lease.

AlfaUSA website currently says $1,198 per month with $4,499 down and that is before tax, title , and license on a stripper model which no dealers have. Getting one under $900 per month would require a huge chunk of change down.

No significant changes for the 2019 C43 driving wise, small bump in power that would not be noticeable behind the wheel. Biggest change is the new bumpers, 2" larger central display, and the optional full screen display for the instrument cluster. I would assume if you leased a similarly priced 2018 vs 2019 you are looking at a $150 a month difference in payment as dealers will want sticker or close to that when the 2019 launches.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: try to talk me out of leasing this C43 coupe