E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Sticking steering column requires dashboard removal to fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Sticking steering column requires dashboard removal to fix

I'm not having the best of luck with minor gremlins and problems with my car. So far this month it's had a new seat frame fitted to stop the creaking and a new rear door lower chrome window seal replaced. The steering column has been sticking in the up/easy exit position until a few jabs on the adjuster would cause it to clunk and start moving again

It eventually stuck for good and I had the dealer look at it three weeks ago (when I found out my front tyres were destroyed thanks to Mercedes choice of negative camber and tyre pressures it seeks, another issue!). Anyway they fixed it then with a, get this, "software update". I think they just gave it a smack to get it moving again as a few days later it starting sticking intermittently again.

So, it went back in this week for the seat frame which had arrived and I got them to look at it and have been told it needs a new steering column fitting and that to do so, the whole dash comes out. 7 hour job! The damn thing had enough rattles as it is, I'm not looking forward to how it'll be once the dash has been removed. Was really hoping it just needed regreasing or maybe a new sprocket or something as trivial replacing. Not the entire bloody column.

Does surprise me that the dash needs removing, seems crazy poor access to what I thought could be done from under the dash. Seems modern cars just aren't built for easy repairs, just quick modular build times.

Lifting the bonnet on modern cars and seeing the massive plastic covers hiding all the important bits is like the car giving you the middle finger - 'don't even think about touching me pal'! I almost miss the days of faffing with manual chokes and distributor caps on a cold wet morning! Or changing the head gasket in an afternoon and feeling like you'd done a professional job because you bothered to use a torque wrench to do the bolts back up (but probably refused the same bolts to save a bit of money for a pint/beer later). I'm clearly getting old!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
I'm not having the best of luck with minor gremlins and problems with my car. So far this month it's had a new seat frame fitted to stop the creaking and a new rear door lower chrome window seal replaced. The steering column has been sticking in the up/easy exit position until a few jabs on the adjuster would cause it to clunk and start moving again

It eventually stuck for good and I had the dealer look at it three weeks ago (when I found out my front tyres were destroyed thanks to Mercedes choice of negative camber and tyre pressures it seeks, another issue!). Anyway they fixed it then with a, get this, "software update". I think they just gave it a smack to get it moving again as a few days later it starting sticking intermittently again.

So, it went back in this week for the seat frame which had arrived and I got them to look at it and have been told it needs a new steering column fitting and that to do so, the whole dash comes out. 7 hour job! The damn thing had enough rattles as it is, I'm not looking forward to how it'll be once the dash has been removed. Was really hoping it just needed regreasing or maybe a new sprocket or something as trivial replacing. Not the entire bloody column.

Does surprise me that the dash needs removing, seems crazy poor access to what I thought could be done from under the dash. Seems modern cars just aren't built for easy repairs, just quick modular build times.

Lifting the bonnet on modern cars and seeing the massive plastic covers hiding all the important bits is like the car giving you the middle finger - 'don't even think about touching me pal'! I almost miss the days of faffing with manual chokes and distributor caps on a cold wet morning! Or changing the head gasket in an afternoon and feeling like you'd done a professional job because you bothered to use a torque wrench to do the bolts back up (but probably refused the same bolts to save a bit of money for a pint/beer later). I'm clearly getting old!

I have the same issue with my steering column, it sticks from time to time, more often in the top position.

I have ordered a new column and will replace it once it arrives, however you DO NOT need to remove the dash to replace it.
The column consist of two parts, you split the column in half keeping the part with the servo motors, everything is loosened throught the cover above the pedals.
Then the column is carefully lifted out backwards and downwards.
Servo motors are extremely delicate and great care needs to be taken while fitting the new one.

I have done the job myself on another early W213
Old 08-19-2017, 09:22 AM

E220d
Sorry you're having the same issue. Is it really a 7 hour job according to the book or is the dealer possibly stiffing Mercedes for charges? Just hoping they aren't creating work for the sake of it. Nice to know the thing isn't designed to be as difficult to take apart as I've been led to believe.

On a related issue, the centre console creaks with my leg resting against it, considering getting a pad and fitting to carpetted part of transmission tunnel to keep my leg away from trim. This is only because the Merc tech told me they can't stop the centre console from creaking when pushed - you've replaced yours, is this also misleading info or is that assembly busy prone to creaking?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Sorry you're having the same issue. Is it really a 7 hour job according to the book or is the dealer possibly stiffing Mercedes for charges? Just hoping they aren't creating work for the sake of it. Nice to know the thing isn't designed to be as difficult to take apart as I've been led to believe.

On a related issue, the centre console creaks with my leg resting against it, considering getting a pad and fitting to carpetted part of transmission tunnel to keep my leg away from trim. This is only because the Merc tech told me they can't stop the centre console from creaking when pushed - you've replaced yours, is this also misleading info or is that assembly busy prone to creaking?

It is by no means a 7 hour job, all warranty work invoiced to Mercedes needs to be carefully calculated using WIS/ASRA (workshop information system)
So I do not think it is possible to "hustle" Mercedes for extra cash.

I am pretty tall at 194cm and my leg always rest towards the centre console, and I havnt had any creaking issues, not with even with customer cars.
Use my guide to remove the console and add some felt tape to the areas that might grind.
It is easy to do.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by vic viper
It is by no means a 7 hour job, all warranty work invoiced to Mercedes needs to be carefully calculated using WIS/ASRA (workshop information system)
So I do not think it is possible to "hustle" Mercedes for extra cash.

I am pretty tall at 194cm and my leg always rest towards the centre console, and I havnt had any creaking issues, not with even with customer cars.
Use my guide to remove the console and add some felt tape to the areas that might grind.
It is easy to do.

Noticed today that there is a repair kit available for this issue.

Part number for W213 is A213 460 70 00
It costs fraction of a complete steering column, however the steering column still needs to come down.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:57 AM

E220d
I was told last week, Thursday, that the column had never been replaced on aw213 before and the local tech was getting support from Germany. Said something about nothing being on the global tip site (something to do with knowledge exchange where you can ask Techs world over how to do things) for how best to fix it. They had the car overnight, I got it back Friday and it's working fine now so hopefully that's the last of it. I have no idea what they changed, whether it was full column or not.

The fact a kit is available does make me now think this is a pretty common fault!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Unfortunately it is a pretty common fault, and that Global tip site he was referring to do exist as well as a document covering this specific fault.

Document number is GI46.15-P-064502
Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Noise & adjustment problems common in both 211 & 212 so it doesn't surprise me 213 is experiencing the same.

Last edited by konigstiger; 08-28-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300
I thought it was normal for Mercedes Benz's electric steering column to make clunk noise every time the car starts. I might be wrong!! I also found similar clunk noise on the electric seat adjustment too. These happened especially to both W211 & the latest W213 but not W212. It could be the poor designed of the servo motor.

One way to make the steering wheel move to your set position is to press your memory function whenever you see the steering wheel stuck at the up/easy exit position.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:30 AM

E220d
Mine stuck in the up position permanently. Nothing would make it move. Unfortunately, despite being replaced it's already started clunking and occasionally sticking, it didn't even last a week before the first failure to move. Will wait for it to jam again then put it in yet again to dealer. It's like most other things on this car, fails, gets looked at with no fix, looked again and "fixed" then fails again. Maybe it's just my dealer, maybe it's the design, either way it's destroying my confidence in Mercedes as a brand (not just this, the general catalogue of minor issues that just never seem to get solved until the third dealer visit).
The following users liked this post:
aikjones (04-26-2019)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Best solution for this is to turn off the easy entry/exit. The problem is the software raises the wheel all the way up, and it jams in that position. The software updates on the 204/207/212 are supposed to fix it by softening how hard it jams at the top, but without the bigger motor in the repair kit, I don't know how effective that can really be.

I've replaced many of the motors on the older cars, and usually never see them back again, so I don't know how you guys have had them "repaired" and continue to have the issue, that's a little surprising to me.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Its not the motors causing this issue, it is the flexible axle seat that is out of tolerance.
The repair kit is just a new axle.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Its not the motors causing this issue, it is the flexible axle seat that is out of tolerance.
Maybe on the 213, haven't done one yet. The older cars, there was a larger motor upgrade too.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Huh???? The steering column attaches to the steering box, correct? Why would you need to change out the front axle?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by HBerman
Huh???? The steering column attaches to the steering box, correct? Why would you need to change out the front axle?
He is calling the adjuster drive the axle. The motor has a flexible cable drive that actually moves the steering wheel. That is replaced with the drive motor also.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
He is calling the adjuster drive the axle. The motor has a flexible cable drive that actually moves the steering wheel. That is replaced with the drive motor also.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Flexible Cable!, that was the word I was looking for

Sorry, my technical English need some work.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300
Mine stuck in the up position permanently. Nothing would make it move. Unfortunately, despite being replaced it's already started clunking and occasionally sticking, it didn't even last a week before the first failure to move. Will wait for it to jam again then put it in yet again to dealer. It's like most other things on this car, fails, gets looked at with no fix, looked again and "fixed" then fails again. Maybe it's just my dealer, maybe it's the design, either way it's destroying my confidence in Mercedes as a brand (not just this, the general catalogue of minor issues that just never seem to get solved until the third dealer visit).
Sorry to hear your frustration. I agree with you that Mercedes Benz always have a lot of electronic & reliability problems. My previous W212 had some many issues from the transmission to all sorts of electronic failures such as reversing camera, blind spot assist, lane keeping, pre safe, cruise control, radar & etc

I found another weird thing happened to the W213. if you use the preset memory function for your steering position, after the easy entry and exit feature, the steering wheel is supposed to move back to the last driving position when you start the car again. But it will never actually move back to the exact position because when you press your preset memory button again, the steering wheel will still move a little bit more to your last preset position. So the setting will always have a slight misalignment!!

Anyone have any ideas or is it normal??
Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I don't have that issue. The steering wheel always moves back to my preset position.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
2016 E200
Hey guys.

I had this issue and the reason it wouldnt move up or down is due to this "dog bone" part.

It took dealer 3 hours to fix. Its a common issue in C class also with easy entry/exit function.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 220D W213
I have the same issue with my steering column, it sticks from time to time, more often in the top position.

I have ordered a new column and will replace it once it arrives, however you DO NOT need to remove the dash to replace it.
The column consist of two parts, you split the column in half keeping the part with the servo motors, everything is loosened throught the cover above the pedals.
Then the column is carefully lifted out backwards and downwards.
Servo motors are extremely delicate and great care needs to be taken while fitting the new one.

I have done the job myself on another early W213
Hello,

Is this covered by warranty as i still have a year of warranty on mine.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 220D W213
Was this covered by warranty?
I've been quoted £160 for a diagnostic check and wont have to pay if its a warranty job.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Yes of course